PDA

View Full Version : Game day - Bulldogs vs Saints

GVGjr
02-08-2007, 10:43 PM
This is the discussion thread for tomorrow tonights game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go for Eagleton

Huge game for us with Darcy's retirement which hopefully will get the guys up.

Shutting down the Saints midfield is the key. I hope our midfield set themselves for a big effort.

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
This is the discussion thread for tomorrow tonights game.

Who's you tip to kick the first goal for us? I'll go for Eagleton

Huge game for us with Darcy's retirement which hopefully will get the guys up.

Shutting down the Saints midfield is the key. I hope our midfield set themselves for a big effort.

First goal to Johnson

Morris to Riewoldt, Harris to Gehrig, Hargraves to Milne, Williams to spend time up forward,

bornadog
03-08-2007, 09:57 AM
The question is will Cross and West play and where will Chris play, forward or back?

First goal to Murphy, we need him to lift he has been down the last few weeks and looks out of touch. Need the boys to find Tiller when he leads out, I was dissapointed last week that they didn't try and find him more. Must win is an understatement.

LostDoggy
03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Our first goal to Gia. Cross named as starting on the bench - hope he's okay.

Bulldog Revolution
03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
The question is will Cross and West play and where will Chris play, forward or back?

First goal to Murphy, we need him to lift he has been down the last few weeks and looks out of touch. Need the boys to find Tiller when he leads out, I was dissapointed last week that they didn't try and find him more. Must win is an understatement.

Grant will play wherever needed, obviously couldn't run with Riewoldt - almost nobody can, and is probably not ideal on Gehrig either - I'd think they look to get him more forward

Murphy has been in horrible touch, apart from the odd sparkling goal this season, he has really struggled, which is not unsurprising after the knee,

Almost 2pm and tonight really is crunch time. The time for talking is over - It is time for action AND I desperately hope we take it on the field tonight.

Go_Dogs
03-08-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm going to select Akermanis for first goal.

As with the previous 2 weeks I've tipped us and I'm not at all confident about how we'll go. I've virtually conceded the season in my mind so, I'm not expecting too much.

GVGjr
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I really want a win tonight.
1) I have too many work colleagues that support the Saints and far too many lotto tickets on tonights result.
2) We need to win because of Darcy's announcement.
3) We need to win so that we can keep our slim finals hope tonoght.
4) We owe the Saints a beating.

bornadog
03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
1) I have too many work colleagues that support the Saints and far too many lotto tickets on tonights result.

Here, Here, in Teddy's words, lets stick it up them.

LostDoggy
03-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Absolutely re points 2, 3 & 4. I didn't feel we would win against Geelong or WC, but I feel optimistic about tonight. No apparent reason though.

bornadog
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Late change, Cross out Harbrow in

Go_Dogs
03-08-2007, 04:48 PM
That was expected wasn't it.

mjp
03-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I am absolutely dreading the march up the hill from work (Southbank) to the Docklands tonight. 2 weeks ago, I couldn't wait. Last week, I was resigned to the result but looking forward to seeing Tiller get a go...what is there to look forward too tonight? Grant and Darcy wont play many more times I guess, so there is that....but does anyone really think we can win?

GVGjr
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
I am absolutely dreading the march up the hill from work (Southbank) to the Docklands tonight. 2 weeks ago, I couldn't wait. Last week, I was resigned to the result but looking forward to seeing Tiller get a go...what is there to look forward too tonight? Grant and Darcy wont play many more times I guess, so there is that....but does anyone really think we can win?

Nobody monsters an out of form team like the Saints tend to do but we have a few things to play for. We are the underdogs no question but we have a decent chance in my opinion. If we are close at half time I think we can win it.

mjp
03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Hope you are right...

Mantis
03-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Not looking forward to the clash, but I think it's time a few players stood up. I hope Murf, Gia, McMahon, Harris and a few others perform like we know they can.

If we play something like our best we could go close, lets hope we are switched on.

If nothing else it's a chance to watch the kids develop and to watch the curtain fall on the oldies.

mjp
03-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Agree with the oldies comment, but I am not sure how much development for the youngsters that there is in being belted week in, week out.

Dry Rot
03-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Great fightback by us.

How did Eade turn it all around tonight?

I was out, only heard the last one and a half quarters.

GVGjr
04-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Went to the footy and caught up with bornadog tonight. Whilst it wasn't a great game it was a very competitive one and at least we had a go. Very quiet in the 2nd and third quarters and we had a lot of trouble trying to score.

We stuck to the task though and even tried to pinch it at the end. Frustrating given the errors that we made in skills etc but it was at least a solid contest.

Twodogs
04-08-2007, 12:27 AM
At least we came up with a plan to combat Gehrig, Kosi, Roo and company. It looked really ugly for most of the second and third quarter but I loved the way the players stuck to it.

How good does Everitt look?

GVGjr
04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
How good does Everitt look?

Very good. Williams and Everitt should develop into the versatile talls that we have been looking for. I'd expect both of these guys to spend some time in the forward line next season as well.

Dry Rot
04-08-2007, 12:36 AM
How did Williams go?

GVGjr
04-08-2007, 12:38 AM
How did Williams go?

Made some errors but did some very good things. Provided plenty of run, tackled hard and took a couple of nice marks.

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Loved how Harris kept Gehrig quiet tonight. Didn't give him an inch.

southerncross
04-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Our first goal to Gia. Cross named as starting on the bench - hope he's okay.

Did you get it right last week as well?

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Did you get it right last week as well?
Yes I'm on a roll!

southerncross
04-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Loved how Harris kept Gehrig quiet tonight. Didn't give him an inch.

There was a bit of niggle between them and was it at the end of the first half even Tommy went back and bumped into big Fraser a couple of times.

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Murphy playing down back seemed like a good move too. He played a better game tonight.

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
There was a bit of niggle between them and was it at the end of the first half even Tommy went back and bumped into big Fraser a couple of times.
Yes and as Gehrig walked off Harris gave him a tap on the backside. Very funny.

southerncross
04-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Murphy playing down back seemed like a good move too. He played a better game tonight.

It was a very good move that allowed Murphy to create some play. Murphy is an important player for us and we need him to be as good over the next few weeks.

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 12:52 AM
arghhhhh

its not dissapointing but we had it for the taking.

amazing last qtr efforts by boyd,aker,everitt & gia.

grants kick out on the full was very lazy..we should have held posession and kicked backwards when it mattered. not when it was the first quarter! so many things we did wrong, but it would have been so much worse if riewoltd kicked it.

Dry Rot
04-08-2007, 12:52 AM
You'd say eade did well this week?

The Coon Dog
04-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I thought Aker kicked our first goal?

During the 2nd & 3rd quarters I kept expecting St.Kilda to go into overdrive & bang on multiple goals quite quickly, just never really happened.

How bad were the umpires tonight? They didn't really favour one team over the other, they were just appallingly bad. It's like they were on show.

How good is Reiwoldt? Gee he works hard & never stops presenting. Clearly best afield.

Didn't we miss Gilbee when it came to kicking in? I reckon 4 times we didn't know what to do & just decided to walk it back over the line for a point. Easy to say that cost us the match, but if one of those four occassions that we froze & tried to pin point a pass that went awry & a goal resulted then we well may have lost.

If Wayde Skipper is playing for his football career then he's sending out the right message. Great mark & goal.

Did Chris Grant's shot for goal after the 3/4 time siren hit the post?

All in all it was a much improved effort this week & Everitt & Williams once again highlight that they have bright futures.

GVGjr
04-08-2007, 01:03 AM
I think you are right about Aker kicking the first.

Dry Rot
04-08-2007, 01:05 AM
I reckon it's pretty good seeing Birss running around in AFL side.

Wish him well.

Dry Rot
04-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Maybe that's where he belongs for the rest of the season.

bornadog
04-08-2007, 01:08 AM
How did Williams go?

12 kicks, 6 handballs , 12 marks pretty good night and put on a ripper tackle in the last which I think he kicked to Aker who then kicked into the goalsquare for Skippers big mark

bornadog
04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Never thought I would say it but Power played his best game for the year and did well, over 20 disposals and effective disposals as well.

Dry Rot
04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
12 kicks, 6 handballs , 12 marks pretty good night and put on a ripper tackle in the last which I think he kicked to Aker who then kicked into the goalsquare for Skippers big mark

Gee, high praise for two young talls in Williams and Everitt? Are we really talking about the Dogs?

LostDoggy
04-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Everitt was spectacular..when we were down and on our way to a comeback he backed himself with a mark, kick and then whoever it was kicked to him in the goal square - this kid is going to be a champion

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Never thought I would say it but Power played his best game for the year and did well, over 20 disposals and effective disposals as well.

A mate text messaged me at half time to say: The radio tells me Power has kept Harvey to 7 and had 9 of his own - is there hope?

To which I responded: I would prefer not to comment - But I have to hand it to him, he played well

Skipped did everything to make himself the hero tonight, was our best ruckman and snuck forward and kicked 2 - for a guy that has only played two games for the year and had to wait until last week he has been excellent.

At the minute Everitt is not a key position player, and playing him somewhere where he cant use his incredible speed seems a waste - he appears best suited on a wing to me

bornadog
04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
A mate text messaged me at half time to say: The radio tells me Power has kept Harvey to 7 and had 9 of his own - is there hope?

To which I responded: I would prefer not to comment - But I have to hand it to him, he played well

I was at the game with GVjnr and promised I would back my comments at the game with a post:D Seriously, it was a better game from Power and a glimmer of hope.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I was at the game with GVjnr and promised I would back my comments at the game with a post:D Seriously, it was a better game from Power and a glimmer of hope.

I've stuck up for Power plenty of time over the years - which has never been fashionable

He played well and clearly Harvey has destroyed us over the past 5 years and didn't last night

Go_Dogs
04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I think you are right about Aker kicking the first.

Yep he did, one for me, finally!

It was a pleasing game. I'm happy to walk away with a draw, considering half way through the 4th I was saying it was over. We still were unlucky not to snatch the 4 points though.

Power and Skipper were both highlights, I wonder if Doogs will get an opportunity to impress? Those who have been afforded one of late have responded pleasingly.

Everitt and Williams are our future, no doubt about it. At one point last night I think Williams, Cooney and Higgins all linked up, it's a very exciting group of 22 and unders we have at the moment.

Gia and Murph both played just about their best games for the year, and stepped up which they need to do. Murph should play down back/wing for the rest of the year, he reads the play and uses the ball so well.

Tiller worked hard and presented well, I like what he offers.

I'm pleased, we seem to be coming around, a bit of a slog was probably good for us and hopefully we can take some momentum forward.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2007, 01:31 PM
When Riewoldt kicked the goal that put them 23 pts up, I made the call "we''ll lose this by 45".

bornadog
05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
When Riewoldt kicked the goal that put them 23 pts up, I made the call "we''ll lose this by 45".

I thought the same, I said either we get blown away now or its going to be close.