PDA

View Full Version : Major Announcement @ 12

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Stay tuned to FB, the Club will be making a major announcement at 12 noon today.
Any idea what?

comrade
08-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Any idea what?

Aker replacing Rocket as head coach? :D

Sockeye Salmon
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Let's hope it's re-signing all players who's name starts with 'W'

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Fingers crossed for that.

EasternWest
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM

That's very good SS.

And if I may be selfish, one that starts with 'A' :eek:.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Aker replacing Rocket as head coach? :D

The Pound has finally learnt how to serve more than 3 people at once???? :rolleyes:

Desipura
08-03-2011, 12:49 PM
That's very good SS.

And if I may be selfish, one that starts with 'A' :eek:.
Addison? If we only lose Addison, I would be doing cartwheels

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Any idea what?

Oops clicked on wrong post above :eek:

EasternWest
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Addison? If we only lose Addison, I would be doing cartwheels

Well I did say I was being selfish. And I added it to the 'W' names.

What will you be doing if we keep all three?

Throughandthrough
08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Western Bulldogs announce a new 3 year major partnership with Mission foods

(from Twitter)

Desipura
08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Well I did say I was being selfish. And I added it to the 'W' names.

What will you be doing if we keep all three?

If we keep all 3 premiership players, I just dont know what I will do ;)

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Western Bulldogs announce a new 3 year major partnership with Mission foods

(from Twitter)

That's great News. This was originally a competitive pitch against Melbourne and Mission having extended the contract clearly believe they are getting value for their sponsorship dollars.

Cyberdoggie
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Cool, my new WB polo won't be out of date so much in a year.

Only just got rid of the Lease Plan one

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Cool, my new WB polo won't be out of date so much in a year.

Only just got rid of the Lease Plan one

And same for the team jersey!

bornadog
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Bulldogs and Mission forge ahead (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/108975/default.aspx)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have received a substantial off-field boost on the eve of the home and away season by extending their partnership with major sponsor Mission Foods for a further three years.

The Bulldogs have been in partnership with Mission Foods since January 2009 and will now be linked to the company until at least 2014 with an additional two-year option available.

The extension makes the relationship between the two parties the longest major partnership in the club's history.

Bulldogs president David Smorgon said he was delighted with the renewal that further strengthens the already solid partnership.

"Three years ago, Mission Foods was just launching into the Australian market. We believe our partnership has created great brand value for Mission and look forward to continuing our prosperous relationship with them over the next three years," he said.

"Mission Foods has recognised the changing face of the Western Bulldogs brand and its growth over the past three years, with both brands building a platform for sustained success while pledging a strong commitment to the community."

Smorgon also said the partnership placed the club in an "enviable position to underpin the financial viability of the club", which is a key driver in the Dogs' five-year vision.

Throughandthrough
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Family rule

Bulldogs win then we have Mission Tacos at home!

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 01:45 PM
It's Great news, however if I remember correctly, Mission originally signed for 3 yrs with a 2 year extension clause. In effect all they have done is honoured that extension early and then added another 2 year extension on to it. They haven't "really" signed on for an extra 3 years, just brought the extension forward and given us hope after 2014

bornadog
08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
It's Great news, however if I remember correctly, Mission originally signed for 3 yrs with a 2 year extension clause. In effect all they have done is honoured that extension early and then added another 2 year extension on to it. They haven't "really" signed on for an extra 3 years, just brought the extension forward and given us hope after 2014

Not true - signed three years from 2009 to 2011. Now another three, 2012 to 2014, plus a two year option.

always right
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Sheesh...talk about a glass half empty response. This is good news whichever way you look at it.

Now I've read the above post, the news is even better.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Not true - signed three years from 2009 to 2011. Now another three, 2012 to 2014, plus a two year option.

Obviously my mistake. I Honestly thought the extension was part of it :o

Mofra
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
This is certainly a boost - guaranteed major sponser means Garlic & Co will have more time to look at other revenue streams rather than spruiking ourselves to find a replacement.

Looks like Mexican is on the menu for a while yet :)

the banker
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Just another piece in the puzzle that has changed the Club into a modern winning culture. Congratulations to David Smorgon and teh negotiating team.

ReLoad
08-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Was at a Texas rangers baseball game last year, and they had a great thing happening, if in the 5th innings (Taco innings as it was known) the home team hit a home run, the whole crowd got a coupon for a free Taco.

needless to say we were very happy when it sailed out over the back wall!

We sooooo need to do this, dogs win the flag, free Tacos for everybody!

Ghost Dog
08-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Family rule

Those things are addictive. I can down a whole packet in no time. Flat bread is great too!

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Family rule

With a new commitment from Mission, may I suggest the family also make a new new commitment to eat, win loose or draw?

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Great news and a great way to start the season !!!

Twodogs
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Yipeeeeee. This is great news.

Congrats to the administration of the club-they have turned us from a basketcase that no-one wanted to know into a vibrant go ahead organisation. Well done to Rose/Garlick, Smorgon and the rest of the off-field crew.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Fajitas for tea tonight!

Murphy'sLore
08-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Just bought some wraps this morning and didn't even know this was happening. Most fortuitous!

mjp
08-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Fajitas for tea tonight!

I had them last night...almost tempted to back up.

This is fantastic ... a sponsor actually re-upping their commitment? I can't ever remember that happening before.

Cyberdoggie
08-03-2011, 02:56 PM
I've eaten a lot more Mission products then i have bought jeans from Eastcoast, power from Orica or phone lines from vodafone.

Maybe that's why they have re-signed!
:p

Bulldog Revolution
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Its a brilliant development

And I have to agree - Mission make good products

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Great news!! Might have to break out the Mission Herb & Garlic Wraps and make souvlakis for tea tonight!! :D

Bulldog4life
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Makes you prouder than ever to be a Doggies supporter. Well done to all involved. Had the wraps on the weekend. Love 'em.

Desipura
08-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Simon Garlick
Garlic = of the food variety

EasternWest
08-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Fajitas for tea tonight!

Quit reading my mind and stealing my posts.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Just had a wholemeal wrap. Tasted like crap, I like the herb one better. And the Tacos best.

Such good news, though!

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
That's great News. This was originally a competitive pitch against Melbourne and Mission having extended the contract clearly believe they are getting value for their sponsorship dollars.

Value? The Prime Minister of Australia wears their logo, thanks to us. :)

Bulldogs and Mission forge ahead (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/108975/default.aspx)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have received a substantial off-field boost on the eve of the home and away season by extending their partnership with major sponsor Mission Foods for a further three years.

The Bulldogs have been in partnership with Mission Foods since January 2009 and will now be linked to the company until at least 2014 with an additional two-year option available.

The extension makes the relationship between the two parties the longest major partnership in the club's history.

Bulldogs president David Smorgon said he was delighted with the renewal that further strengthens the already solid partnership.

"Three years ago, Mission Foods was just launching into the Australian market. We believe our partnership has created great brand value for Mission and look forward to continuing our prosperous relationship with them over the next three years," he said.

"Mission Foods has recognised the changing face of the Western Bulldogs brand and its growth over the past three years, with both brands building a platform for sustained success while pledging a strong commitment to the community."

Smorgon also said the partnership placed the club in an "enviable position to underpin the financial viability of the club", which is a key driver in the Dogs' five-year vision.

This was obviously a key reason for the announcement at the Family Day of the five year plan. It was in the mix. At the time I was a bit apprehensive, as talking about five year plans usually indicates an expectation of short term pain.

Yipeeeeee. This is great news.

Congrats to the administration of the club-they have turned us from a basketcase that no-one wanted to know into a vibrant go ahead organisation. Well done to Rose/Garlick, Smorgon and the rest of the off-field crew.

Absolutely. This is why businessmen, not ex-footballers, need to fill these roles. (Yes, I know Garlick is an ex-footballer, but I mean they need to prove themselves in a business sense, not just be a club legend)

I'm just loving the fact that we didn't have to wait until nearly the end of the contract, at which time the media usually delight in printing “crisis” stories about how the Bulldogs are struggling for sponsors, etc. etc.

The Coon Dog
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm just loving the fact that we didn't have to wait until nearly the end of the contract, at which time the media usually delight in printing “crisis” stories about how the Bulldogs are struggling for sponsors, etc. etc.

My thoughts exactly!

Go_Dogs
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Great news, well done by all involved at the club.

chef
08-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Happy Days:)

gohardorgohome
08-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I like the Mission foods. Maybe they could do a deal the the catering company's at Etihad Stadium and have the mission tacos and burritos available at the food outlets!!!

Perhaps have special discounts for Doggies members!!

Doc26
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Echoing the sentiments across this thread, this is just wonderful news for the Club to have secured our major sponsor for three years and potentially beyond. The times they are a changin. With that said my local supermarkets in the east either don't stock or are very light on when it comes to Mission products.

AndrewP6
08-03-2011, 11:34 PM
I like the Mission foods. Maybe they could do a deal the the catering company's at Etihad Stadium and have the mission tacos and burritos available at the food outlets!!!

Perhaps have special discounts for Doggies members!!

Like ^^^^

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I've eaten a lot more Mission products then i have bought jeans from Eastcoast, power from Orica or phone lines from vodafone.

Maybe that's why they have re-signed!
:p

I dont think anyone has bought power from Orica - (previously ICI)

LostDoggy
09-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I dont think anyone has bought power from Orica - (previously ICI)
I worker for them for years when they were ICI, so I gave them more than they gave me lol.

FrediKanoute
09-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Great news! I do my bit and buy Mission Foods whenever I see them in the Supermarket here in the UK......my way of helping the helpers of the Doggies!

Now if we could get Arnott's to sponsor the Doggies I could similarly justify my Shapes splurges!

Daughter of the West
09-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Fantastic news! And more excuses to have Mission tacos :D

LostDoggy
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Echoing the sentiments across this thread, this is just wonderful news for the Club to have secured our major sponsor for three years and potentially beyond. The times they are a changin. With that said my local supermarkets in the east either don't stock or are very light on when it comes to Mission products.

Look in the Mexican section, not the potato chips section. My cousin is the state sales manager for Mission (and a Bulldogs fan, what a dream job huh?) and he reckons they have no end of trouble trying to get Coles and Woollies to put the corn chips in the chips section. I reckon it's pressure from Dorito's. I love Mission corn chips though, LOADS better than Doritos — the flavour is fuller, the chips are thicker and don't snap off so easily in the salsa, and are PERFECT for nachos!

I don't eat taco shells or tortillas (I make my own tortillas) so I don't know what they're like.

I worker for them for years when they were ICI, so I gave them more than they gave me lol.

Still have the old ICI logo on my guernsey…

LostDoggy
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Just had a wholemeal wrap. Tasted like crap, I like the herb one better. And the Tacos best.

Really? We use this all the time, and must be used to the taste. Mission kicks any other brand's butt in terms of taste and quality anyway -- it's huge in the states, it's pretty much the main home-tex-mex brand (never been to Texas, but I assume that it's relatively authentic, being a Texan company and all).

Thankfully our local Monoprix carries a small range of Mission stuff -- it's called a 'burrito complet' over here.

Go Dogs! :)

LostDoggy
09-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Really? We use this all the time, and must be used to the taste. Mission kicks any other brand's butt in terms of taste and quality anyway -- it's huge in the states, it's pretty much the main home-tex-mex brand (never been to Texas, but I assume that it's relatively authentic, being a Texan company and all).

Thankfully our local Monoprix carries a small range of Mission stuff -- it's called a 'burrito complet' over here.

I actually prefer Old El Paso. But buy mission. and mission used to be cheaper also, now it costs a little more then El Paso. oh well. all for the greater good

AndrewP6
09-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Look in the Mexican section, not the potato chips section. My cousin is the state sales manager for Mission (and a Bulldogs fan, what a dream job huh?) and he reckons they have no end of trouble trying to get Coles and Woollies to put the corn chips in the chips section. I reckon it's pressure from Dorito's. I love Mission corn chips though, LOADS better than Doritos — the flavour is fuller, the chips are thicker and don't snap off so easily in the salsa, and are PERFECT for nachos!

Have been into at least 4 different Coles/Woolworths, and have yet to see any corn chips. None. Plenty of the other stuff though.

Murphy'sLore
10-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Have been into at least 4 different Coles/Woolworths, and have yet to see any corn chips. None. Plenty of the other stuff though.

Maybe they've sold out!

LostDoggy
10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Great news for the club and congratulations to all concerned who had a part in making it all happen! Must admit, haven't tried the taco's - used the wraps which are great! Perhaps taco's will be on the menu this weekend to celebrate!:p

LostDoggy
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM

I actually prefer Old El Paso. But buy mission. and mission used to be cheaper also, now it costs a little more then El Paso. oh well. all for the greater good

If you're after authentic, you're not going to get it with either Mission or Old El Paso when it comes to taco shells mate. Simple fact: Mexicans don't eat hard taco shells. They have their tacos in soft tortillas. Even the tortillas are fifth-rate compared to a nice home-cooked one. Let me put it this way: Have a home-made tortilla, and like me, you'll never eat store-bought again.

The corn chips rock though…

Murphy'sLore
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Got a recipe, BAS?

LostDoggy
10-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Got a recipe, BAS?

Yep, they're incredibly simple (though a bit messy):

Go down to Casa Iberica in Johnston Street, Fitzroy — 25 Johnston St, Fitzroy, Melbourne. Ph. (03) 9419-4420 Web: www.casaibericadeli.com.au — and buy some masa flour. Normal flour won't be as good.

Mix with warm water and a pinch of salt to make a dough that's not too moist or sticky but that doesn't split when you press between your fingers.

Roll it out as thin as you can.

Get a proper iron skillet (you can buy them at the store above) and place each tortilla down for about 60 seconds each side. When they're done, they usually (but not always) blow up with air into a bit of a pillow.

Serve hot.

LostDoggy
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
If you're after authentic, you're not going to get it with either Mission or Old El Paso when it comes to taco shells mate. Simple fact: Mexicans don't eat hard taco shells. They have their tacos in soft tortillas. Even the tortillas are fifth-rate compared to a nice home-cooked one. Let me put it this way: Have a home-made tortilla, and like me, you'll never eat store-bought again.

The corn chips rock though…

Hi BAS -- you will note that I said authentic tex-mex, not authentic mexican. I am very aware of the difference, which as you say is significant, thus my very specific terminology. :)

I love authentic Mexican food, but have to admit to a certain soft spot for tex-mex crap too, which has a charm all its own. (Having said that, you know much of California/Texas/New Mexico used to be part of Mexico anyway, so the hard-shell taco, while most probably a product of US-style fast food production, may actually have been a pre-Mexico-American War regional north Mexican variation...)

ps. tortillas are different things in different parts of the world anyway, and there are variations in different parts of Latin America (generally a flatbread though, although there are variations in thickness and type of flour) and Spain (an omelette of sorts). Heck, they are different from home to home, and bar to bar! Believe me, there are terrible home-made tortillas, just as there are great ones -- well, from my experience anyway!

Murphy'sLore
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Ta muchly BAS, sounds like a trip to Casa Iberica might be in order!

Doc26
10-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Maybe they've sold out!

There's certainly a stock issue out my way. Would appear Doritos & CCs have cornered the corn chip shelves at our local Coles supermarket. You might find the odd Mission product eg wraps in the El Paso etc section but that's about it. Unfortunately even our local IGA now seems to have stopped stocking their corn chips.