PDA

View Full Version : Rocket - On The Couch

bornadog
01-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Rocket is the guest this week On the Couch.

LostDog
01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
hmmm wonder what the questions will be there.

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
hmmm wonder what the questions will be there.

What questions would you like to see answered?

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM

What are you going to do with a list that looks like they aren't 100% committed to winning their own ball?

Mantis
01-05-2011, 09:41 PM
What are you going to do with a list that looks like they aren't 100% committed to winning their own ball?

Please explain.

Bulldog Revolution
01-05-2011, 09:55 PM
It would be good to see him comment on why we are hyping ourselves up as a premiership contender when clearly we are only a final 8 contender

chef
02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

-Why don't we play a forward press
-Why is Hahn playing FF at Willi but not seen as the replacement for an injured Barry
-Can Minson and Hudson play in the same team

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:00 AM
-Why is Hahn playing FF at Willi but not seen as the replacement for an injured Barry

We have no-one of the LTI at present so I don't see how he can.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:06 AM
We have no-one of the LTI at present so I don't see how he can.

We really shot ourselves in the front by promoting Barlow when we didn't need to

Mantis
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
We really shot ourselves in the front by promoting Barlow when we didn't need to

Has it ever been acknowledged that this happened?

Anyway now that Hargrave is back playing it doesn't matter.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Fair enough.

always right
02-05-2011, 10:23 AM

1. A fair question
2. Is this the same Hahn supporters were calling to be delisted/traded/retired last year?
3. A fair question

In addition to the first question, I would Eade to be asked what has been done since last year to alter our game plan?

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Apparently didn't play yesterday

stefoid
02-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Hahn is not the difference between us winning a premiership or not.

Getting games into Jones, Grant and Roughead could be the difference between us winning a premiership sometime in the next few years.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:40 AM
1. A fair question
2. Is this the same Hahn supporters were calling to be delisted/traded/retired last year?
3. A fair question

In addition to the first question, I would Eade to be asked what has been done since last year to alter our game plan?

My point is why have him on the list then as all he is doing is stifling the development of Cordy, T.Hill, Panos etc.

chef
02-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Hahn is not the difference between us winning a premiership or not.

Getting games into Jones, Grant and Roughead could be the difference between us winning a premiership sometime in the next few years.

Our time is now. In the next few years Cross, Morris, Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Hudson and Hall are all going to be gone or nearly gone and we will be heading down the ladder to rebuild.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Our time is now. In the next few years Cross, Morris, Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Lake, Hargrave, Gilbee, Hudson and Hall are all going to be gone or nearly gone and we will be heading down the ladder to rebuild.

The time for the players listed as a group has passed.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Why was Higgins out?

Why did Cooney play predominantly as a forward when our inability to spread fast after a centre clearance was one of our weaknesses?

Why did not Lake move forward when he was at best breaking even with his opponent? (Until Brown kicked a few on him in the last quarter)

chef
02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
The time for the players listed as a group has passed.

This is what saddens me, as we really have missed a huge opportunity to win a flag.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Please explain.

Lot of our players @ stoppages wait on the outer waiting for the ball to get to them. Where as a team like Collingwood have 3-4 in there, and when they get it they all spread together moving forward. Looked like they were playing Rugby at times

bornadog
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Why was Higgins out?

Injured and may miss next week as well

Why did Cooney play predominantly as a forward when our inability to spread fast after a centre clearance was one of our weaknesses?

Puzzling that one

Why did not Lake move forward when he was at best breaking even with his opponent? (Until Brown kicked a few on him in the last quarter)

He moved there in the last quarter, but no impact. I still prefer him in the backline and really he is miles better player than Brown, but he is still not in form.

chef
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Lot of our players @ stoppages wait on the outer waiting for the ball to get to them. Where as a team like Collingwood have 3-4 in there, and when they get it they all spread together moving forward. Looked like they were playing Rugby at times

I thought it was quite funny when they had 6 players all runny together when Pendles hit the post from 30 meters out.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 12:09 PM

The game looks a lot like rugby, with teams increasingly kicking long aiming for a throw in to set up and go again.

the banker
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Are some players still working through injuries and interrupted pre-seasons = Lake, Cooney. If not what does he put Cooney's lack of form down to?

Has the training regime geared to a softer start but stronger finish to the year?

Without looking for excuses, has the draw had any inpact on performances? Especially the timing of the bye giving us a 16 day break then a 6 day break travelling back on the late flight from Perth.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I thought it was quite funny when they had 6 players all runny together when Pendles hit the post from 30 meters out.
Funny and concerning that our players either could not keep up with them or just could not be bothered.
We really need to inject some pace, all reports are Dalhaus has that in spades. Unfortunately we may only see him if someone cops a long term injury.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Why go back there? Liam Jones is our future

chef
02-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Why go back there? Liam Jones is our future

My point is why have him on the list then as all he is doing is stifling the development of Cordy, T.Hill, Panos etc.

Answered on page 1 Desi.

Mantis
02-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Funny and concerning that our players either could not keep up with them or just could not be bothered.
We really need to inject some pace, all reports are Dalhaus has that in spades. Unfortunately we may only see him if someone cops a long term injury.

I would think that if all of Dahlhaus, Hahn & Barlow were on the senior list they would be pushing hard for selection.

Hopefully next year the AFL hand out some cash (they have plenty of it) and get rid of the rookie list all together and increase the number of players you can have on your senior lst.

1eyedog
02-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Rocket, how do you instill four quarter intensity at the ball/ball carrier?

always right
02-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Our blokes were running the other way when the ball was turned over. Sometimes you get rewarded for assuming your bloke will get the ball...some times you get caught out.

always right
02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Are some players still working through injuries and interrupted pre-seasons = Lake, Cooney. If not what does he put Cooney's lack of form down to?

This is the biggest question? I would also like hear from Eade who he thinks amongst our senior players is closest to being dropped back to Willi.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Rocket, how do you instill four quarter intensity at the ball/ball carrier?
It all comes down to having pace, look at our midfield.

Ward, Libba, Wallis, Cross, Boyd, Gia & Higgins = very little pace
Picken, Cooney (has not used it), Sherman & Griffen have pace

Topdog
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
It all comes down to having pace, look at our midfield.

Ward, Libba, Wallis, Cross, Boyd, Gia & Higgins = very little pace
Picken, Cooney (has not used it), Sherman & Griffen have pace

No side has 4 quarter intensity at the ball / ball carrier.

Maddog37
02-05-2011, 02:38 PM
I would like them to ask what our best 22 looks like assuming all players are fit and available.

I would also like to know what he thinks will make the difference between how we are playing now and how we need to play to beat top 4 teams.

Desipura
02-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Thats true, Collingwood are able to run hard in the last qtr, we do not have this ability currently. Cooney's lack of form (injury?) does not help.

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
I would like the following to be asked of Rocket:
"In your previous 2 games, you have commented that you've been pleased with your sides effort and intent [at times]. At what point do you demand that effort and intent alone are not enough without wins?"

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
These reports of woofers going to training, watching goal scoring practice like it's some blokey kick to kick sessions really concern me. What exactly is Rocket doing to improve kicking efficiency?It's a matter of real urgency and could be argued, has cost us 8 points so far as I firmly believe it was scoreboard pressure last night that caused a rout.

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Rocket must go... the game has passed his style of play.. yet he fails to adapt... we have the list, we have a skill, we have the passion, we simply lack the strategy, knowledge and confidence which stems from the top... Damien Hardwick and Brad Scott are prime examples, as was Paul Roos when he replaced Rocket... we need to be aggressive in getting the next best assistant.. and get him in early... forum should be... who should replace rocket?

Mantis
02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
These reports of woofers going to training, watching goal scoring practice like it's some blokey kick to kick sessions really concern me. What exactly is Rocket doing to improve kicking efficiency?It's a matter of real urgency and could be argued, has cost us 8 points so far as I firmly believe it was scoreboard pressure last night that caused a rout.

If Collingwood had kicked straight in the 2nd qtr there would have been no comeback as we would have been 5+ goals down at 1/2 time... and even more when Collingwood drew away thru the middle stages of the 3rd qtr.

Further more kicking straight in the first 10min kept us in the game for longer than we probably deserved.

always right
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Rocket must go... the game has passed his style of play.. yet he fails to adapt... we have the list, we have a skill, we have the passion, we simply lack the strategy, knowledge and confidence which stems from the top... Damien Hardwick and Brad Scott are prime examples, as was Paul Roos when he replaced Rocket... we need to be aggressive in getting the next best assistant.. and get him in early... forum should be... who should replace rocket?

Cn you explain what Brad Scott has brought to his club?

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
One question I would be asking him is as follows.........

"Rocket, given that David Smorgan publicly said preseason that anything short of a Grand Final is considered a failure, and given how the Bulldogs have performed so far this season, does that make you worried about your job security?"

1eyedog
02-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Well that would depend on how you define intensity I guess. Collingwood have it enough through a game to sit on top of the ladder and have last year's premiership under their belt.

I should rephrase. How do we get our intensity up to challenge Collingwood, possibly Geelong for this year's flag? I agree that it is in part due to pace, but Ling, Corey, Chapman, Bartel and to a lesser degree Selwood are hardly pacy mids.

Same with Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell and Lewis.

Who has pace in Hayes, Jones, Montagna and Da Santo and they made two Grand Finals with those mids (and drew one last year!).

Collingwood still use the boundary a lot and do not go through the middle as much as you would think with a team consisting of Swan, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Shaw and Thomas.

There are more dimensions to intensity than just speed.

BulldogBelle
02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Well that would depend on how you define intensity I guess. Collingwood have it enough through a game to sit on top of the ladder and have last year's premiership under their belt.

I should rephrase. How do we get our intensity up to challenge Collingwood, possibly Geelong for this year's flag? I agree that it is in part due to pace, but Ling, Corey, Chapman, Bartel and to a lesser degree Selwood are hardly pacy mids.

Same with Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell and Lewis.

Who has pace in Hayes, Jones, Montagna and Da Santo and they made two Grand Finals with those mids (and drew one last year!).

Collingwood still use the boundary a lot and do not go through the middle as much as you would think with a team consisting of Swan, Wellingham, Sidebottom, Shaw and Thomas.

There are more dimensions to intensity than just speed.

Its the will to run hard in both directions...

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 07:21 PM

"Rocket, given that David Smorgan publicly said preseason that anything short of a Grand Final is considered a failure, and given how the Bulldogs have performed so far this season, does that make you worried about your job security?"

He's answered that one a number of times.

Topdog
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
[/B]

yep, we dont have it and our main players don't buy into it.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 10:10 PM

Gave his standard answer, that the comment was for the fans, and not necessarily tied to his contract.

AndrewP6
02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Talked about how Lake is still working his way back, has some knee soreness. May need to go back to Willi... Roos asked about Lake zoning off, and dropping off at stoppages. Eade responded that he did it "against instruction"... so that's one who he was talking about!

Asked about putting Wallis in at the centre bounce in his first outing, Eade said he had no problems doing it, as Wallis is a "good kid" who has a crack.

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Gave Lake a little to think about

Cyberdoggie
02-05-2011, 10:21 PM
The game looks a lot like rugby, with teams increasingly kicking long aiming for a throw in to set up and go again.

I thought i was sitting at AAMI watching the rebels quite often yesterday.
There is a lot of kicking into touch at the moment and for me it's not particular attractive to watch live, same with the forward press and the forwards starting high on 50 and leading towards goal before doubling back if the kick doesn't go overhead.

1eyedog
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
[/B]

Yeah okay that is unfortunately what I thought

Ghost Dog
02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Talked about how Lake is still working his way back, has some knee soreness. May need to go back to Willi... Roos asked about Lake zoning off, and dropping off at stoppages. Eade responded that he did it "against instruction"... so that's one who he was talking about!

Asked about putting Wallis in at the centre bounce in his first outing, Eade said he had no problems doing it, as Wallis is a "good kid" who has a crack.

Annoying. Apply blowtorch

Rocket has to ensure the plan gets through to all 22 or we have serious problems.
Lake must toe the line and it's Rodney's responsibility to make sure he does it.
Send a runner out and tell him not to bloody zone off or drop off.

Dogmatic
03-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I can't believe Rocket isn't concerned that we haven't beaten a top four team........probaby since Danny Del're was our full forward.

The Adelaide Connection
03-05-2011, 01:29 AM
I can't believe Rocket isn't concerned that we haven't beaten a top four team........probaby since Danny Del're was our full forward.

I can't shake the nagging feeling that '09 was our year. We needed wins in the last three rounds to get a top 4 spot and the three teams we beat were all Top 4 contenders (Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong). We played our worst and still only lost to Geelong by two kicks in the first final, pumped Brisbane and then were royally screwed by the Saints.

That said we had a horrific run into the finals last year, if we can start scrapping out some wins and get a bit of momentum (ala Geelong in the first two rounds) and start getting players back to 100% you never know, we might be perfectly placed at the right end of the season. Fingers are crossed.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
It was pointed out in the interview by a graphic that our performances against what were the top four in the last two to three years we haven't won and it gave margins. Given we've made two preliminary finals in that time it's not a time to panic just yet. Just as the post above from TAC says above, given the right focus to be running well at the end of the season rather than the start is probably a much better idea.

Look what freo did in the last few games last year. Took a B team to Tassie to rest the A team and were definately contenders come finals. For teams that aren't overly blessed with talent/ability, as in we lose a couple e.g. Cooney,Higgins at the end of last year and we are hamstrung whereas Collingwood you keep hearing about "How much depth they have" (sick of hearing that one). It's 22 rounds and having fit players at the would have to be better. Maybe field Willi for a game late in the year (realise this can't happen). Plus Collingwood keep playing teams who played interstate the week before or have at least one days shorter break than them and you realise how their draw is better. In the words of the Guru "Think about it!" Take that Danny from Droop Street.

Mantis
03-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Look what freo did in the last few games last year. Took a B team to Tassie to rest the A team and were definately contenders come finals. For teams that aren't overly blessed with talent/ability, as in we lose a couple e.g. Cooney,Higgins at the end of last year and we are hamstrung whereas Collingwood you keep hearing about "How much depth they have" (sick of hearing that one). It's 22 rounds and having fit players at the would have to be better. Maybe field Willi for a game late in the year (realise this can't happen). Plus Collingwood keep playing teams who played interstate the week before or have at least one days shorter break than them and you realise how their draw is better. In the words of the Guru "Think about it!" Take that Danny from Droop Street.

That might have been the case in 2010, but not this year.

(A colleague does a bit of forward scouting in the VFL and thinks Collingwood's depth will really be tested if they cop a few injuries.)

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Good point. Collingwood got smacked by Werribee by 90 points the other week. I wasn't there, but this is the now half North Melbourne affiliated side.

strebla
03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
That might have been the case in 2010, but not this year.

(A colleague does a bit of forward scouting in the VFL and thinks Collingwood's depth will really be tested if they cop a few injuries.)

This is it though isn't it injuries to top players really bite you on the bum. What we need is a decent run at the right time of year I want to be top 4 in August not April!!

1eyedog
03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
This is it though isn't it injuries to top players really bite you on the bum. What we need is a decent run at the right time of year I want to be top 4 in August not April!!

Yes but we need to start winning games now to give us a chance at it otherwise we will just be part of the peliton

strebla
03-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Yes but we need to start winning games now to give us a chance at it otherwise we will just be part of the peliton

I understand where you are comming from but i don't mind starting like a steam train if we finnish full steam ahead.:D

Desipura
03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I understand where you are comming from but i don't mind starting like a steam train if we finnish full steam ahead.:D
Syd (away), Rich, WCE (away), Haw, Gee & Stk.

The next 6 weeks will tell us where we are at. We would need to win 5 out of 6, which will have us at 7 wins and 5 losses at the half way mark.

I would hate to rely on winning the majority of our games in the last 12 rounds with games against other contenders like Carlton, Syd (SCG), WCE (home), Essendon, Hawthorn and Freo (home)

Mantis
03-05-2011, 03:01 PM
The next 6 weeks will tell us where we are at. We would need to win 5 out of 6, which will have us at 7 wins and 5 losses at the half way mark.

We are currently 2-3.

Winning 5 of our next 6 has us at 7-4.

Desipura
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
We are currently 2-3.

Winning 5 of our next 6 has us at 7-4.
my bad, the bye got me.
So we would have to win 4 of the next 6 at the very least, not impossible.
But again, would want to get a run on with wins so we do not have to rely on winning the majority of our games in the second part of the season.

Bulldog Joe
03-05-2011, 03:56 PM

I would hate to rely on winning the majority of our games in the last 12 rounds with games against other contenders like Carlton, Syd (SCG), WCE (home), Essendon, Hawthorn and Freo (home)

Well if we get to round 12 at 6 and 5 or 7 and 4 we will be in good shape.

In the last half of our season we play 6 mid ranking contenders (on current form)

If we assume that Geelong and Collingwood are now the top 2, we will be vying for 3rd and 4th against Carlton, Hawthorn, Essendon and Freo.

Realistically the draw is a good one for us from half way.

3 interstate trips including 2 against Wooden Spoon contenders Port Adelaide and Gold Coast and 7 of 11 at Docklands. It would be possible for us to win EVERY game after the June clash with Geelong at Kardinia Park and should mean we can look after any players with injury concerns.

I could see us now finishing 3rd and entering finals with momentum of about 12 successive wins. Any injury issues for Collingwood or Geelong and we will be ready to pounce.

Ghost Dog
03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Rocket's trusty cliches abide: No game can be taken for granted. 4 points at a time now. No gimmees etc etc.

strebla
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM

I get where you are comming from but we need to be beating teams like that at that time of the year if you want to have a real crack at the major prize. if we can't beat the contenders then it means that we are not contenders so you make my point stronger.In saying that we do need to win 5 of the next six if for nothing else but get our confidence in our game plan.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I thought i was sitting at AAMI watching the rebels quite often yesterday.
There is a lot of kicking into touch at the moment and for me it's not particular attractive to watch live, same with the forward press and the forwards starting high on 50 and leading towards goal before doubling back if the kick doesn't go overhead.

It doesn't have to be unattractive -- I watched the ANZAC Day Essendon-Collingwood game, and they both base their work around rugby like principles, such as creating congestion a la a ruck/maul and having their structures based around that to allow an effective (and low-risk) breakaway when they win possession but also with the same structure providing cover if they don't win possession.

Thus the self-same structure does a dual job, which I don't think ours does at the moment -- some of our structures seem designed around an imperative that we win the ball, otherwise we're stuffed defensively, while at other times our structures seem defensively keyed so that we're able to slow teams down when they win possession but not do be able to do anything constructive when we win possession ourselves.

I said this earlier in the year after watching the Round 1 Dogs-Essendon game, but I thought our half-back line was too deep in that game so there was a LOT of space between our mids/contests in the middle of the ground and our defence, so if we didn't win the ball with our 'swarm' the ball would come out the back and opposition players running onto the ball would have a field day.

In the Anzac Day game, Dustin Fletcher, Essendon's nominal CHB/FB, during stoppages on the wing, made his starting point almost 5-10 metres outside his defensive 50, no more than a kick away from the contest, so he was able to affect the marking contest from any hurried Collingwood forward kick from the contest. By the same token, the rest of the half-back line, playing half a kick back from the contest, was able to be part of the backwards/sideways chain of handballs out of the contest if Essendon won the ball. This is of course exactly how the backline sets up in rugby, where the forwards win the ball then spread the ball backwards and sideways through their backs.

Collingwood are exactly the same, which is why they had a swarm of half-backs and mids riding shotgun behind and beside the ball carrier whenever they won the ball. Rugby is only boring when it gets bogged down -- when the play gets spread across the backline a la the All Blacks it can be exhilirating.

Watching the last game, I think we set up a bit better, with Lake pushing the backline generally higher up the park and able to affect the first kick out of the contest. Our half-back line was also able to take marks high up the ground (some on or past the middle of the ground) from hurried kicks out of Collingwood's backline. It's just that Lake is horribly out of form at the moment, and we don't really have anyone else able to affect a marking contest like Fletcher/O'Brien/Maxwell at the moment other than Lakey so bad decisions are being made. The obvious reaction when we screw up a few contests, and precisely the wrong one, is to start dropping deeper and deeper (which is what happened as the 4th quarter wore on), so more and more space was opening up in the middle as our forwards pressed but defenders backed off -- Lake especially cannot back off as the rest of the backline tend to get their starting positions from him, I think I read in another thread that Rocket mentioned that he wasn't following instructions in an interview? We have to just back ourselves in and stay high. A press is not a press if only half the team is pressing.

The Pie Man
03-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Paul Roos coming on that show has improved it - I thought his chat with Rocket on tactical ebbs & flows in the game was pretty insightful (numbers forward early, realeasing forwards to create more numbers at the stoppages to counteract Collingwood's response, throwing Murphy forward in the last to 'try and win the game')

Usually the questions are fairly boring, but that was a good chat. Rocket seemed upbeat - that's one thing I think you can always say about Rocket, he never seems to lack for energy.

EDIT - oh and Brian did cop a whack from Rocket, which was very interesting

GVGjr
03-05-2011, 08:04 PM
EDIT - oh and Brian did cop a whack from Rocket, which was very interesting

I thought he started off very nervously before settling into the normal relaxed Rocket mode we all know.

I wasn't overly impressed with the comments about Lake unless he is actually prepared to bite the bullet and drop him.

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
How wins would secure top four this year?

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
How wins would secure top four this year?

Normally 14 or 15 based on the last 5 seasons, Saints got there in 08 with 13 but I think that was an abberation.

Topdog
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
I thought he started off very nervously before settling into the normal relaxed Rocket mode we all know.

I wasn't overly impressed with the comments about Lake unless he is actually prepared to bite the bullet and drop him.

Seeing as he has never dropped a big name player I am astounded by the comment and disappointed that the interviewers didn't press him on it.

Sedat
04-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Rocket has noted in the past that Lake can handle public criticism better than most and would take such criticism the right way. He'd know he is underdone and unable to preform what has been routine for him in recent seasons.

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Cn you explain what Brad Scott has brought to his club?

Sorry meant Chris - I refer to the Scott that coaches the Cats..

Topdog
04-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Seems like he made good on his word.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-send-brian-lake-to-the-vfl/story-e6frf9jf-1226049758648

''It's not speculation, Brian will go back to the VFL. We've sat down with Brian and devised a plan that's best for him and the club to get him into that form and also to get some confidence up,'' Bulldog's assistant coach Brett Montgomery said after training today.

Mantis
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Having just re-watched the interview I am surprised by this comment.

I thought Rocket was pretty honest in answering a question that was posed to him and by the sounds of things he will be demoted to get his body right/ find some form.

Topdog
04-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Having just re-watched the interview I am surprised by this comment.

I thought Rocket was pretty honest in answering a question that was posed to him and by the sounds of things he will be demoted to get his body right/ find some form.

Well it's more the point that a senior player hasn't been dropped in 3 seasons that G was talking about.

jeemak
05-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Irrespective of his fitness, I get the impression the match committee has been genuinely disappointed with Lake's attitude. Monty almost sounded concilliatory when talking about his preparation, like it was a secondary issue.

Hotdog60
05-05-2011, 06:45 AM
We know that having a disrupted Prue season can effect a players fitness and it can take a number of games before they come good, but what about the mental side of it?

Does the interruption with the interaction with the playing group also effect the players preparation to the effect that a player is not as fired up as the rest of the group. One would think that a player would be chomping at the bit to get into it, but are they.

Does the lack of fitness then compound on the metal side of things which saps confidence and proceeds to take a longer road back to peak performance.

Ghost Dog
05-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Irrespective of his fitness, I get the impression the match committee has been genuinely disappointed with Lake's attitude. Monty almost sounded concilliatory when talking about his preparation, like it was a secondary issue.

"Coach Rodney Eade said earlier this week Lake's decision to zone off opponent Leigh Brown, against team instructions, cost the side several goals."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-to-drop-lake-for-swans-clash-20110504-1e7vy.html#ixzz1LPurnesu

bornadog
05-05-2011, 10:18 AM
"Coach Rodney Eade said earlier this week Lake's decision to zone off opponent Leigh Brown, against team instructions, cost the side several goals."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-to-drop-lake-for-swans-clash-20110504-1e7vy.html#ixzz1LPurnesu

I don't know why, but I cannot rate Leigh Brown as a footballer, yet he kicked 4 in the last quarter. Makes my blood boil. A fully fit Lake, we would have have won that game. Yes a big statement, but those couple of goals from Brown, and Collingwood had their tails up.

Sedat
05-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't know why, but I cannot rate Leigh Brown as a footballer, yet he kicked 4 in the last quarter. Makes my blood boil.
He's a better footballer than Jay Van Berlo, Keplar Bradley, Marty McGrath, Luke Vogels, Nigel Fiegert, Garry Moorcroft and all the other two-bit hacks that have kicked bags against us in the past.

Ozza
05-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't know why, but I cannot rate Leigh Brown as a footballer, yet he kicked 4 in the last quarter. Makes my blood boil. A fully fit Lake, we would have have won that game. Yes a big statement, but those couple of goals from Brown, and Collingwood had their tails up.

I think former clubs have used Brown poorly and Malthouse seems to have found a good niche for Brown.

Brown did it really tough at North as Laidley was extremely hard on him - and did nothing for his confidence. Being shown a lot of faith has improved his game a great deal at the Pies.

LostDoggy
07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Normally 14 or 15 based on the last 5 seasons, Saints got there in 08 with 13 but I think that was an abberation.

With the loss today against Sydney, we can't lose more than 4 out of the next 16 games.