PDA

View Full Version : Hargrave a chance to return

bornadog
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
By Jennifer Witham
(http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/113625/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/hargrave_150_a.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs defenders Ryan Hargrave and James Mulligan are being considered to bolster the backline this week against Richmond in the expected absence of Tom Williams and Brian Lake.

Hargrave played his first game for the year last weekend in the VFL after overcoming two bouts of off-season surgery on a serious foot complaint.

Mulligan, 21, is a former rookie in his fourth season at Whitten Oval. He started this season in the Williamstown reserves but has since played four matches in the VFL seniors.

With Williams likely to miss with the ankle he rolled against the Sydney Swans last Saturday and Lake expected to spend a second week gathering match fitness and form in the lower league, the Dogs could call up one or two of the defenders to take on the Tigers' forward line, which includes last year's Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt.

"Hargrave has played one game but he's trained for four or five weeks with pretty solid conditioning," Bulldogs general manager of football James Fantasia told afl.com.au this week.

"I dare say he'd come under consideration, especially with Tom hurting his ankle last week."

Mulligan, who at 199cm and close to 100kg is Barry Hall's usual pre-season match-up, could break through for his AFL debut almost four years after he made his way from Queensland club Southport to the club through the 2008 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

"I love the fact we're talking about him. He's had some genuine form and I think that's a real positive for any player if they're going to get selected because it gives them confidence," Fantasia said.

"He's very realistic and in the mix, and I wouldn't rule him out."

The Dogs won't make a final assessment on Williams until later in the week but it appears unlikely the key back will play despite playing out the loss to the Swans.

"His ankle started to blow up through the game and you're never really sure because they sometimes go down very quickly or other times it takes a bit longer," Fantasia said.

"We're hopeful he can still get up for it and it's helped that it's a Sunday game with an eight-day break."

Hall is a certainty to miss as he continues to work his way back from an ankle operation after the round five loss to Fremantle, while Shaun Higgins will be assessed again but is likely to nurse his groin through another weekend.

"Hall's got to get a bit more of rest into that ankle and start light training, which is what he's doing now," Fantasia said.

"Shaun will be a test this week. We're not ruling him out but he's the same as last week; we don't want to be in a position where we're rushing him back."

Fantasia said the club's doctors were closer to working out how to manage Higgins' groin issues and believed they were on top of his treatment.

"You either rest it or have surgery on it. From the managing side, we're hoping it's going to come good itself and I think that's happening because he's getting more and more movement," he said.

"He's feeling good and that's the best part."'

Tom Liberatore is a chance to return after missing last week with general soreness while Jayden Schofield could debut after being named as an emergency in the past two matches.

Fantasia also said the match committee would discuss the merits of giving last week's first-gamer Zeph Skinner a longer opportunity to show his wares after he was substituted into the Swans' game in the third quarter.

"It's more about team balance and what's good for him as well," he said.

"We're probably not keen to play a player starting off as the sub a couple of weeks in a row.

"That's the talking point at the moment; do we keep him in and give him more game time or do we change things altogether? That'll be one of the decisions made in the next couple of days."

Patrick Veszpremi will return from a broken finger this weekend in the VFL.
for westernbulldogs.com.au

LostDoggy
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Debut yet another player? The bottom of the barrel has some deep finger marks in it.

Jeanette54
12-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Apparently then Mitch Hahn is below the bottom of the barrel.

We need forward pressure (amongst other things), a goal kicker and someone who will go hard all day. I would have thought this was tailor made for Mitch.

EasternWest
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Apparently then Mitch Hahn is below the bottom of the barrel.

We need forward pressure (amongst other things), a goal kicker and someone who will go hard all day. I would have thought this was tailor made for Mitch.

Mitch Hahn's a rookie, and can't be played unless a senior player goes on the LTI and the coaches elevate him.

Mantis
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Mitch Hahn's a rookie, and can't be played unless a senior player goes on the LTI and the coaches elevate him.

Mitch is also injured.

EasternWest
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Then we should play Dahlhaus.

The Coon Dog
12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Then we should play Dahlhaus.

He's a rookie, can't play unless we add someone on the Primary List onto the Long Term Injury List.

EasternWest
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
He's a rookie, can't play unless we add someone on the Primary List onto the Long Term Injury List.

I know. Should have put a rolleyes after my post.

Touché to you TCD.

bornadog
12-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Mitch is also injured.

and slow

Mantis
13-05-2011, 08:47 AM
and slow

He has been in great touch this year and would've been very close to selection if he didn't get injured.

The slow comment is so 2010..... You really need to go and watch him play... or even train.

The Pie Man
13-05-2011, 09:53 AM
He has been in great touch this year and would've been very close to selection if he didn't get injured.

The slow comment is so 2010..... You really need to go and watch him play... or even train.

I haven't seen him at all this year - what has he done to improve in areas that he's perceived to be lacking in (pace/mobility) Has he trimmed down at all (not that he was too bulky)

Mantis
13-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I haven't seen him at all this year - what has he done to improve in areas that he's perceived to be lacking in (pace/mobility) Has he trimmed down at all (not that he was too bulky)

He just looks to be in good shape... reports were that he was pretty banged up towards of 2010, but he looks fit and healthy and is moving well.

The Pie Man
13-05-2011, 10:04 AM
He just looks to be in good shape... reports were that he was pretty banged up towards of 2010, but he looks fit and healthy and is moving well.

A Mitch Hahn circa 2008 would be handy right about now

bornadog
13-05-2011, 10:43 AM

I know what you are saying but he was never super quick.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 12:04 PM

He is named for Willi this week, I the knock on his knee likely to keep him out?

I know what you are saying but he was never super quick.

He doesn't look much slower this year than Higgins or Gia to me.

Mantis
13-05-2011, 12:13 PM
He is named for Willi this week, I the knock on his knee likely to keep him out?

I had heard early in the week that he was likely to miss, but he must have recovered better than what was expected.

He doesn't look much slower this year than Higgins or Gia to me.

Watched Gia last week pretty closely and he has is battling big time in the pace department. Last year at Manuka he made a couple of searching leads and was able to maintain the distance from his chaser such that he could mark un-opposed.... he couldn't do that last week.

Maddog37
13-05-2011, 04:18 PM
He got better as the game went on though. Expect him to play well this week.

Greystache
13-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I had heard early in the week that he was likely to miss, but he must have recovered better than what was expected.

I didn't see him on the training track this morning, so your original thinking might be on the money.

Desipura
13-05-2011, 08:44 PM

Watched Gia last week pretty closely and he has is battling big time in the pace department. Last year at Manuka he made a couple of searching leads and was able to maintain the distance from his chaser such that he could mark un-opposed.... he couldn't do that last week.

The one duel when he was out marked and his opponent ran off him in the last qtr showed how slow he is. That said he out marked Smith for memory in the next 2 contests playing from behind.

Mofra
14-05-2011, 11:54 AM
That's a big worry - his ability to run hard is what separates him from the pack.
If we have to hope he can use his experience/bodywork as per Q4 last week he will be exposed a number of times during the year.

We can't afford to carry any players at this stage.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 02:15 PM
He didn't miss a beat. Great game by Hargrave.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Awesome to watch Shaggy slam one through the big sticks. Moving well.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Where are the 'disgrace' callers now?

Mantis
16-05-2011, 07:08 PM

I have studied this thread and have no idea who you are referring to.

So who are you referring to?

The Coon Dog
16-05-2011, 07:54 PM

There were posters last week in some threads saying that if Hargrave came straight back after one game it would akin to the sky falling down.

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 08:19 PM
There were posters last week in some threads saying that if Hargrave came straight back after one game it would akin to the sky falling down.

Sorry think its in the team selection thread

LostDoggy
16-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Welcome back Shaggy - great to see you on the park again and moving so well! :cool:

LostDoggy
17-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Great game.
If only he'd snapped King in half, it'd have been the perfect game.

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 03:40 PM

I seem to recall the word discrace somewhere.
the moment Shaggy slammed one home for a goal was the single most enjoyable moment of the game for mine. Pure Bliss.

Maddog37
17-05-2011, 03:48 PM
What about the handball from Huddo to get it to him. Absolutely magic. Almost Diesel like.

bornadog
17-05-2011, 04:14 PM

I seem to recall the word discrace somewhere.
the moment Shaggy slammed one home for a goal was the single most enjoyable moment of the game for mine. Pure Bliss.

What a disgrace Shaggy is playing! Have this match committee not learnt their lesson? Give the guy a propper preseason behind the scenes prior to playing him.

Here you go

Ghost Dog
17-05-2011, 04:36 PM
What about the handball from Huddo to get it to him. Absolutely magic. Almost Diesel like.

yes! huddo. That handball went right between two or three tigers IIRC.
now there's a guy not many have mentioned on here post sunday. He had a great game and full points for showing his knockers he still has alot to give.

Topdog
17-05-2011, 05:17 PM

yeah it was a different thread but there were quite a few saying it was a disgraceful / stupid decision.