PDA

View Full Version : Round #11 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this evenings game against the Cats.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Slaps:

Gia: has proved me wrong this season. Was a stand out performance with 5 goals, poise,leadership and pressure. He used his body well and was easily our BOG

Emergence of young kids: Again i thought our young kids did well. Mulligan applied himself well. He played a decent game but Pods was just outstanding. Mulligan did all he could and stuck with him. Wallis, Howard and DJ i thought were superb also. Especially DJ when he was subbed in. I hope he gets a full game next week.

Sledges:

Josh Hill/Jarrad Grant: givenanother opportunity after performing well at Willi and did nothing. Grant in particular is guilty of completely disappearing in these sorts of games. He is a passenger and only performs when the team is doing well. Time for these two to step up or be dropped for at least a month

Ryan Hargrave: Don't know what he was thinking this game. Made very poor decisions and turned it over way too much.

Jasper
04-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Slap Gia, Murphy, Morris and Griffen for trying, running and Gia's finishing was superb well done to Gia...
Minson for trying and not butchering it too much
Sledge most of the team but specifically:

Boyd - I counted 7 turnovers many of which he was clear and put it straight down a Geelong player's throat in space. An AFL standard player cannot do this, but a captain and leader of the club...its really worrying.
Hill - Josh Hill you aren't trying - just go away, I don't want to see you in our jumper again. When I hear the normally measured Chris Grant saying you shouldn't play for us again, and when I see your gutless lack of effort - just go
Jarrad Grant - Is close to following in Hill's steps. How does an AFL standard player get so few possessions as Jarrad Grant? He needs to learn workrate, discipline and hardness at the contest.
Brian Lake - The Life of Brian is a horror movie at present, he was that bad I don't know if it was because he dropped his bundle or because, he was well, that bad. Whether he should play next week, I don't know, maybe we could play him on Kosi and they could play each other into form...?

Final sledge - I hope the club is shown the footage of the Geelong players laughing and mocking us, taking the piss, not even really trying in the last quarter. This club is now officially and in actuality a laughing stock.

I hate it

Remi Moses
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Slaps- Giansuricusa( thanks I phone spell check)
Good game led well
Slaps - Griff ( had a crack unlike most)
Slaps - Picken ( non negotiable with this bloke)
Slaps - Murphy

Sledge- Boyd ( our blokes wear a red color, hit one on the chest!)
Sledge - Hill ( never ever wear the colors again ) even Granty sledged him!
Sledge- Grant ( playing himself out of a league career)
Sledge- Lake ( come on Brian this is laughable!)Must play forward
Sledge - Higgins ( doesn't do enough!)
Sledge- Sherman ( See above)
Sledge- Hargrave ( just dumb decision making and that effort one on one against a kid was embarrassing)
Just have to play kids and turn the list over. Today's lack of effort is a coach killer for Rocket I'm afraid.

Maddog37
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Sledge, my apathy towards footy all of a sudden.

Slap, my ability to not care about my apathy.

always right
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Slaps:
Gia, Griff,

Sledges:
Inability to stick a tackle
Allowing Geelong players to laugh at us
The inane commentary on Channel 10

What have we become?:(

BulldogBelle
04-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Slap Gia, Murphy, Morris and Griffen for trying, running and Gia's finishing was superb well done to Gia...
Minson for trying and not butchering it too much
Sledge most of the team but specifically:

Boyd - I counted 7 turnovers many of which he was clear and put it straight down a Geelong player's throat in space. An AFL standard player cannot do this, but a captain and leader of the club...its really worrying.
Hill - Josh Hill you aren't trying - just go away, I don't want to see you in our jumper again. When I hear the normally measured Chris Grant saying you shouldn't play for us again, and when I see your gutless lack of effort - just go
Jarrad Grant - Is close to following in Hill's steps. How does an AFL standard player get so few possessions as Jarrad Grant? He needs to learn workrate, discipline and hardness at the contest.
Brian Lake - The Life of Brian is a horror movie at present, he was that bad I don't know if it was because he dropped his bundle or because, he was well, that bad. Whether he should play next week, I don't know, maybe we could play him on Kosi and they could play each other into form...?

Final sledge - I hope the club is shown the footage of the Geelong players laughing and mocking us, taking the piss, not even really trying in the last quarter. This club is now officially and in actuality a laughing stock.

I hate it

It became like a game between two teams of mismatched teenagers, with one group laughing at the other group and then trying to get their mate who plays Full Back (Scarlett) an opportunity to kick a goal.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Slap - all the fans who made it down to SS. I feel for you.

Sledge - .......No sledges. What's the point?
I feel a sense of fatigue on the forums. A sense that our season is done, and the rest of the year is about getting games into kids.

Desipura
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Slaps to Gia and Griff
Sledge take your pick

BulldogBelle
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Slap - all the fans who made it down to SS. I feel for you.

Sledge - .......No sledges. What's the point?
I feel a sense of fatigue on the forums. A sense that our season is done, and the rest of the year is about getting games into kids.

Slap
Griff, Murphy, Morris, Picken and Gia
Those same 5 names must have red backs because they are generally the only guys getting regular slaps this season
Minson also played a very reasonable match

Sledge
Hill- what else can I say. He did look OK at the start of this season against the GC and Brisbane. Actually every player looks good when you win by >60 points.
Grant- sorry to say but unfortunately Hunt didn't flatten him earlier in the game. Needs to go back to Williamstown.
Lake- where is the passion? Wonder if there is a performance metric on his contract?
Hargrave- am sure everyone expects better disposal from a fella like him nearing 200 games. I did like his elbow on Steve Johnson.
Midfield- we simply got smashed in contested possessions. Our midfield constantly all get sucked into multiple players trying to extract the ball, then dont spread quick enough when the ball becomes loose, and we loose the clearance..

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Slap : Howard , 17 disposals , just needs to improve week by week and he will keep his spot

Slap : Giansiracusa , I,ve been one of his critics but he at least showed a bit of pride in the jumper

Sledge : Contested marking , apparently we suck at it

Sledge : Season 2011 so far , bugger bloody hell

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
slaps....Gia,Murph,Gia and the young men showing heart.

sledge..... Let the tanking begin.

G-Mo77
05-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Slap - The usual suspect. Murphy, Griffen, Picken, Morris and a special mention to Gia who was clearly our BOG performer. Wonder how the haters will spin this now.

Slap - Minson. He was worked over today without a backup but kept fighting all day.

Slap - Howard and Wallis. I really thought they showed a bit today. Wallis looks like a really good tackler for someone who is just a kid.

Slap - Shaggy elbowing Johnson. I was screaming for Morris to do it earlier. That's the only reason he got a slap, he was terrible otherwise.

Sledge - Lack of pride is so disheartening from a loyal supporters perspective. At times I felt like crying.

ratsmac
05-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Slap -
Gia, Murphy, Morris, Picken, Griffen. The usual suspects

Wallis and Howard, Both showed promise

Sledge -
Boyd - Captain??? Don't captains lead by example and bring the team with them? I would love him to get half of the ball he does if he could give it to us everytime. His turn overs really hurt us. Can you take the captaincy off a captain during the season?

LAKE - hahaha Are you really trying or just trying to get Eade arseholed? 3 goals flatters that effort.

The rest - I felt sorry for Mulligan. The delivery coming in with no pressure, of course he got touched up, couldn't do much more.
Lazy players that have forgotten how to run both ways. Do they have a game plan, if so do they know what it is?

Ozza
05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Slap - Gia, obviously. His intensity was great - one of the few that appeared to turn up with the right attitude.

Sledge - Josh Hill. It looked like Josh would have preferred to have been anywhere else than Skilled stadium.
At some point the club just has to sit down and rule a line through the names of a few players and just accept that they will never be good, consistently performing AFL footballers.

Sledge - A general sledge at the group. I didn't feel at all like I was watching a football team. Geelong players roamed free back and forth all day - of course we turned up with our regular plan of just run and gun - which continues to see us get smashed by the good sides. It was just a humiliating loss - to just be toyed with, and having easy goal after easy goal kicked against us. There was no direction, no resolve and and no genuine effort or tactic to change what was happening. If Geelong had have put the hammer down rather than taking it easy in the last quarter it would have been much worse - and 61 points was flattering as a margin - when in reality they were 100 points better than us. Seeing Scarlett pushed forward so he could have a chance at kicking a goal was the sort of thing you see in local footy - to get handled like that at AFL level is embarrassing.

SlimPickens
05-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Slap-Sledge- Mitch Wallis 9 tackles, a very solid effort. To the rest of our players WHY THE *!*!*!*! IS AN 18 YEAR OLD LEADING OUR TACKLE COUNT, it is a bloody disgrace.

Mofra
06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Slaps: Gia & Griff (2 BOG)
Howard - 2009 draft selections look vindicated

Sledge: Pretty much everything else

Topdog
06-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Slaps: Gia & Griff (2 BOG)
Howard - 2009 draft selections look vindicated

Sledge: Pretty much everything else

Howard playing 2 decent games doesn't vindicate an entire draft selection nor does it validate the position in the draft he was taken.

Mofra
06-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Howard playing 2 decent games doesn't vindicate an entire draft selection nor does it validate the position in the draft he was taken.
Looks a helluva lot better than two weeks ago.

Cyberdoggie
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Slap-Sledge- Mitch Wallis 9 tackles, a very solid effort. To the rest of our players WHY THE *!*!*!*! IS AN 18 YEAR OLD LEADING OUR TACKLE COUNT, it is a bloody disgrace.

Perhaps tackling is beneath them?

slap: Wallis for whilst he hasn't quite got his game flowing yet, he's trying hard and doing everything he can defensively.

slap: Howard, he's shown already he's going to be a better option than Stack in only 2 games of footy.

sledge: Wood, Big ask for him to come straight in after his injury but he's been very ordinary in his defensive efforts in the last 2 games. For someone with rare speed and agility in our side he was further away from his opponent than most others were. Let's hope he finds his aggression and form back soon.

sledge: The entire team for letting Josh Hunt smack 2 of our players and get away with it without even some harsh words.
This guy is built like a brick you know what but is as soft as butter. He picks Grant and Gia to have a go at i mean seriously, what a tough guy he is. Our lack of response was just disgraceful. Since when do you not stand up for your teamates?

sledge: Our fitness and recruiting staff. I know they can only do what they can with the type of cattle they receive but why is it that even Geelong's kids look bigger than any of our players? Young Vardy has got more size than any of our senior bodies, and our senior mids like Gia, Cross, Picken, Gilbee, Murphy, Ward are getting smaller and smaller. Perhaps we haven't got the balance right when it comes to endurance vs size?

Dancin' Douggy
06-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I feel Easton Wood deserves a slap.
Battled all day, still inexperienced and only 2nd game back from a pretty serious injury.

Sledge? I'm with ghost dog. What's the point?

AndrewP6
06-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Perhaps tackling is beneath them?

sledge: Our fitness and recruiting staff. I know they can only do what they can with the type of cattle they receive but why is it that even Geelong's kids look bigger than any of our players? Young Vardy has got more size than any of our senior bodies, and our senior mids like Gia, Cross, Picken, Gilbee, Murphy, Ward are getting smaller and smaller. Perhaps we haven't got the balance right when it comes to endurance vs size?

Those guys have never been giants. And never will be. Ward and Picken, whilst being in the 22, are not what I would call
"senior"

I know what you're saying though.