PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward - Staying or going?

Pages : 1 [2]

SlimPickens
18-08-2011, 11:36 PM
So one telling thing from rockets interview on TFS. Is Cal Ward going to GWS? "He told me he is still 50-50 but I'd say he's going".

Thought this would be the case but now even more certain.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I love Ward and don't want him to go but if this is true i wouldn't be happy.
How can we offer anything near to what GWS is and justify it? We will just lose another required player this year or next when there is no room in the cap to pay them and get nowhere near the compensation we deserve for them no doubt, whereas if we do lose Ward there is talk of us getting two first rounders which many would consider to be overs.
We can't afford to blow our cap out in a bidding war with GWS, it's insanity of the highest order and will come back to bite us on the arse big time i fear.
Sure in this situation we have to offer more than what Ward is really worth to keep him but there has to be a limit on that, put our best offer to him and then he decides whether he takes it or not, simple. If we keep raising our bid because he hasn't re-signed(which he has stated he wouldn't do til the end of the year afaik) we are asking for trouble.

What about the benefit to the club marketing-wise if Callan stays? It's a big vote of confidence, and could help the board sell the new-look Dogs to members.

Not everything a player offers is restricted to the grass inside the white lines.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 11:43 PM
So one telling thing from rockets interview on TFS. Is Cal Ward going to GWS? "He told me he is still 50-50 but I'd say he's going".

Thought this would be the case but now even more certain.

He also mentioned Harbrow and it seemed to me he's once bitten twice shy.

Remi Moses
18-08-2011, 11:51 PM
If my employer did something like that they would make up my mind for me. It wouldn't be favourable for them in case you were wondering.

For the love of god don't compare a sport to the real world.
For a start if the Harbrow scenario of last season happened in the workplace you'd get your two weeks notice and be out the door that day! If someone takes another job and resigns they get two weeks pay and leave at the end of the day!

AndrewP6
18-08-2011, 11:56 PM
For the love of god don't compare a sport to the real world.
For a start if the Harbrow scenario of last season happened in the workplace you'd get your two weeks notice and be out the door that day! If someone takes another job and resigns they get two weeks pay and leave at the end of the day!

Not always, at my school last year, two guys applied for, and were appointed to new positions in different schools (promotions) during the year, and both stayed out the year.

Scraggers
19-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Rocket on the Footy Show tonight said he spoke with Callan earlier this week; Callan said he still hadn't made a decision and that he was 50/50 ... when asked what he thought, Rocket said he thinks he'll go. Hope he's wrong.

Hotdog60
19-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Rocket on the Footy Show tonight said he spoke with Callan earlier this week; Callan said he still hadn't made a decision and that he was 50/50 ... when asked what he thought, Rocket said he thinks he'll go. Hope he's wrong.

I hope he's wrong too, if we are having a refresh and not a rebuild we need Callen to stay.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Really, really hope he stays. I think the fact he hasn't made an announcement yet bodes well for us to some extent - hopefully we're working over time to get the deal over the line.

The Pie Man
19-08-2011, 10:01 AM
He also mentioned Harbrow and it seemed to me he's once bitten twice shy.

That was my take on it - he made a point of mentioning 'I asked Jarrod to tell us if he'd made his mind up, and he didn't' so he's got cause to be cynical in these situations.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 11:19 AM
How can we offer anything near to what GWS is and justify it? We will just lose another required player this year or next when there is no room in the cap to pay them and get nowhere near the compensation we deserve for them no doubt, whereas if we do lose Ward there is talk of us getting two first rounders which many would consider to be overs.
We can't afford to blow our cap out in a bidding war with GWS, it's insanity of the highest order and will come back to bite us on the arse big time i fear.
Sure in this situation we have to offer more than what Ward is really worth to keep him but there has to be a limit on that, put our best offer to him and then he decides whether he takes it or not, simple. If we keep raising our bid because he hasn't re-signed(which he has stated he wouldn't do til the end of the year afaik) we are asking for trouble.

I agree with this -- if true, it would seem like the administration of the club throwing money at Callan to buy back brownie points for sacking Eade, which would be the shortest of short-termist thinking.

Callan's a good talent and a valuable clubman, but with no disrespect I would take two first round picks in a heartbeat. That would give us THREE picks in the first 20.. With a young and talented team, bolstering it with three potential top-liners (assuming that we don't draft duds -- just go with safe bets, none of this speculative Everitt/Howard/Grant business) would bring some serious class to a list that desperately needs it after the first round boo-boos of recent years.

Bulldog4life
19-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I agree with this -- if true, it would seem like the administration of the club throwing money at Callan to buy back brownie points for sacking Eade, which would be the shortest of short-termist thinking.

Callan's a good talent and a valuable clubman, but with no disrespect I would take two first round picks in a heartbeat. That would give us THREE picks in the first 20.. With a young and talented team, bolstering it with three potential top-liners (assuming that we don't draft duds -- just go with safe bets, none of this speculative Everitt/Howard/Grant business) would give the list some serious class.

Sounds good but getting the drafting right is where I feel nervous.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Callan's a good talent and a valuable clubman, but with no disrespect I would take two first round picks in a heartbeat. That would give us THREE picks in the first 20.. With a young and talented team, bolstering it with three potential top-liners (assuming that we don't draft duds -- just go with safe bets, none of this speculative Everitt/Howard/Grant business) would bring some serious class to a list that desperately needs it after the first round boo-boos of recent years.

Save them for the 2012 draft would be the best thing to do.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Save them for the 2012 draft would be the best thing to do.

Yes, that was what I was thinking -- first uncompromised draft in a while. Being able to stockpile THREE first round picks into a team all in the same year will massively fast-track any 'rebuild'/'refresh'.

We certainly need something to shake up this list anyway, a circuit breaker of sorts.. just traveling along maintaining the status quo isn't going to cut it, and this is a real opportunity for a step change. (I mean, what's the point of having a middling list with a 25 year old Callan Ward on massive dollars helping us finish mid-table in 2015?)

bornadog
19-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Yes, that was what I was thinking -- first uncompromised draft in a while. Being able to stockpile THREE first round picks into a team all in the same year will be massively fast-track any 'rebuild'/'refresh'.

We certainly need something to shake up this list anyway, a circuit breaker of sorts.. just traveling along maintaining the status quo isn't going to cut it, and this is a real opportunity for a step change. (I mean, what's the point of having a middling list with a 25 year old Callan Ward on massive dollars helping us finish mid-table in 2015?)

I like it. Plus we will have more of the 1999 class retiring by then, so ideal to get some young talent in the team instead of picks from 30 plus.

the banker
19-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Speculative. A bird in the hand is worth two in the draft.
I think Ward is more valuable than Scully/Trengrove. Maybe not Nic Nat!

w3design
19-08-2011, 03:50 PM
With Cooney's injury Callan is our 2nd best midfielder at present. He is far more damaging than Boyd and Cross. It is not certain that Cooney will return to elite level, in fact if I had to bet on it I would be doubtful whether he can. Why wouldn't we be prepared to elevate him into the top 3 or 4 in payments? I appreciate we can't keep raising the stakes indefinitely but I would be comfortable with him being paid at that level, based on not only his performances this year, but that he is in an age group where we have a big gap looming, as so many of his contemporaries haven't come on.

azabob
19-08-2011, 07:25 PM
One gets the feeling if he does leave we will again trade away our future by trading the compo pick for a mature aged player.

Desipura
19-08-2011, 08:55 PM
FWIW Barry Hall was at a function this week and told some people that Ward was 100 per cent gone.

GetDimmaBack
20-08-2011, 11:43 AM
One gets the feeling if he does leave we will again trade away our future by trading the compo pick for a mature aged player.

Yeah, I get that feeling too.

Trading one of those picks for a 21 -24 year old with recognised class (eg Tommy Rockliff) - I could live with that. But that's not likely to happen...

hujsh
20-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Why bother stay for a 'refresh'? Definitely gone now IMO

KT31
20-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Why bother stay for a 'refresh'? Definitely gone now IMO

Agree.

1eyedog
20-08-2011, 10:40 PM
With Cooney's injury Callan is our 2nd best midfielder at present. He is far more damaging than Boyd and Cross. It is not certain that Cooney will return to elite level, in fact if I had to bet on it I would be doubtful whether he can. Why wouldn't we be prepared to elevate him into the top 3 or 4 in payments? I appreciate we can't keep raising the stakes indefinitely but I would be comfortable with him being paid at that level, based on not only his performances this year, but that he is in an age group where we have a big gap looming, as so many of his contemporaries haven't come on.

This.

I think we will be disappointed with the compensation (again). I cannot see us getting two first rounders.

LostDoggy
21-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Speculative. A bird in the hand is worth two in the draft.
I think Ward is more valuable than Scully/Trengrove. Maybe not Nic Nat!

But is Ward more valuable than Scully AND Trengrove?
If we get two picks, that sways the ledger IMO.

LostDoggy
22-08-2011, 01:47 AM
But is Ward more valuable than Scully AND Trengrove?
If we get two picks, that sways the ledger IMO.

That's the problem - it's a massive "if" that we get 2 first rounders. Trengrove has more upside than either of the 2 in question IMO and 2 first rounders would be enourmous overs. 1 first rounder would be a horrible result and unfair compensation however so essentially..... the AFL can bite my crank.

BulldogBelle
22-08-2011, 08:52 AM
That's the problem - it's a massive "if" that we get 2 first rounders. Trengrove has more upside than either of the 2 in question IMO and 2 first rounders would be enourmous overs. 1 first rounder would be a horrible result and unfair compensation however so essentially..... the AFL can bite my crank.

Our President and our CEO should already be on the phone to the powers at be and demanding that if we loose Ward we be given adequate compensation

Whilst the AFL wants to grow in new territories like Western Sydney, they shouldnt forget about whats happening in their own backyard...

http://www.kpmg.com/au/en/issuesandinsights/articlespublications/press-releases/pages/press-release-melbournes-western-edge-7-sep-2010.aspx

It’s official. The fastest growing region in Australia is no longer the Gold Coast but the Western edge of Melbourne, finds KPMG research.

The Western Bulldogs commissioned KPMG demographer, Bernard Salt, to undertake an analysis in order to better understand the Western Suburbs community. The analysis draws together official population estimates and forecasts, making comparisons with other regions throughout Australia. KPMG Partner Bernard Salt is one of Australia’s leading population analysts.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 10:42 PM
The footy show claim Barrett has news about about a meeting with Cal and the dogs very recently. Most likely won't be anything knowing Barrett, but it's interesting

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 11:26 PM
My bet is he will say is still have not reached a decision. Will wait till end of year or possibly to see which coach we get

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Apparently, we brought forward a meeting, Cal said he's not going to say anything till the end of the year and the Dogs now believe he's gone. Nothing staggering or a big surprise

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 11:44 PM
End of the year

Remi Moses
25-08-2011, 11:45 PM
For Christ sake Ward just announce you're going . This whole thing's been like Chinese water torture!!:mad:

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Totally bullshit story from Barrett, purely to get some attention. They had a meeting. Wow. Nothing was decided or revealed. Awesome. Barrett, you suck…

I believe Callan: I think he hasn't made his mind up yet.

On the topic of compensation, with Dale Thomas re-signing, Ward would be their major signing. Surely we'd have to get 2 first-rounders.

SlimPickens
25-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Just confirms what we already know doesn't it? Its now got to the point that if Cal stays I'll be staggered.

SlimPickens
25-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Totally bullshit story from Barrett, purely to get some attention. They had a meeting. Wow. Nothing was decided or revealed. Awesome. Barrett, you suck…

On the topic of compensation, with Dale Thomas re-signing, Ward would be their major signing. Surely we'd have to get 2 first-rounders.

Wouldn't get you're hopes up about the compensation 1 late first round pick if we're lucky.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Are you serious?

You mean to tell me it takes him 12 months to decide whether he wants to leave for money or play for loyalty? I'm not judging his decision - I'd take the money too - but this is piss poor form. It doesn't take that long ... he would know by now what he's going to do. Hence silence. Hence "wait til the end of the year" whispers.

comrade
26-08-2011, 12:12 AM
The day after Mad Monday we'll see Cal in a GWS jumper and footy can get *!*!*!*!ed.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Are you serious?

You mean to tell me it takes him 12 months to decide whether he wants to leave for money or play for loyalty? I'm not judging his decision - I'd take the money too - but this is piss poor form. It doesn't take that long ... he would know by now what he's going to do. Hence silence. Hence "wait til the end of the year" whispers.

Apparently Matthew Kruezer has knocked back the riches, as did Dustin Martin. Obviously some are not completely consumed by the almighty dollar. I'll be BOOING him next season

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Wouldn't get you're hopes up about the compensation 1 late first round pick if we're lucky.

Dimwitiou came out and said the only thing considered is age and salary.

Under that criteria Ward is band 1 - one pick immediately after your first rounder (must be postponed to next year) and one end of round 1 (can be taken or postponed for up to 5 years).

divvydan
26-08-2011, 12:28 AM
I would say it's about 1% chance Band 1, 55% chance Band 2, 44% chance Band 3. Fact is, Band 1 was really only designed for players like Ablett and maybe a number 1 pick who gets plucked after the 2 years minimum. Ward's a good chance of getting Band 2 but as we've seen last year, the Band 3 criteria is very wide and will encompass a lot of players.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 12:52 AM
How could it possibly not be band 1 ? Age and salary are the criteria by all accounts.
But wait for it, policy on the run alert from AFL Power Brokers:rolleyes:Goal Posts moved no doubt

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Ward *!*!*!*! off and spend your money sick of him dragging it out, good to see that some players in AFL have loyalty to their club

divvydan
26-08-2011, 01:12 AM
How could it possibly not be band 1 ? Age and salary are the criteria by all accounts.
But wait for it, policy on the run alert from AFL Power Brokers:rolleyes:Goal Posts moved no doubt

I suspect the salary would have to be in the $1-$1.2m+ per year to be considered in the top section. Ward is more likely to be on $800-$900k/year. Given that Ward is likely to be on slightly less than Scully and be slightly older, I can't see the AFL giving out two Band 1 compensations and I think Scully is a borderline Band 1. As I sit here typing and thinking, I'm more inclined to think we'll get Band 2 than 3 but as I mentioned, the AFL have shown that the Band 3 is a very wide band and will be the predominate compensation for most players.

Of course I hope we get Band 1 compensation, I just don't think it's any more than a very small chance.

KT31
26-08-2011, 01:17 AM
I would like to have this poll all over again as I think with Eade's non-renewel and the teams performance since the poll started many votes would change.
Then again why bother he will be gone by the time we debate it.

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Of course I hope we get Band 1 compensation, I just don't think it's any more than a very small chance.

Here's the article.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ward-could-be-worth-two-prime-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1226094921348

Greystache
26-08-2011, 01:59 AM

Are you joking or did you genuinely miss the point?

Ward is gone, he's a good as announced it but wants to play the last 2 games.

Just confirms what we already know doesn't it? Its now got to the point that if Cal stays I'll be staggered.

Exactly. I'd remained hopeful he'll stay, now I'm certain he'll go.

Damning for the club, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood all managed to keep their young players, twice in two years ours have taken the money.

chef
26-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Are you joking or did you genuinely miss the point?

Ward is gone, he's a good as announced it but wants to play the last 2 games.

Exactly. I'd remained hopeful he'll stay, now I'm certain he'll go.

Damning for the club, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood all managed to keep their young players, twice in two years ours have taken the money.

I'd prefer he didn't.

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd prefer he didn't.

So you demand loyalty from the players but want the club to ignore form and just send him on his way?

If so, expect to see more of the same.

chef
26-08-2011, 08:26 AM
So you demand loyalty from the players but want the club to ignore form and just send him on his way?

Yep, Kruezer and Martin could teach Ward something about loyalty. I have an 8 year old son who has 4 footy jumpers all with 14 on the back, this going to rip his heart(plus mine as well).

chef
26-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I do. We will never win a flag now(unless we merge or relocate) with free agency coming in.

BulldogBelle
26-08-2011, 09:00 AM
We lost McGuiness to Adelaide when they started, Hardie to Brisbane when they started, Harbrow etc.

Ward leaving a poorer club like ours is what the AFL intended when they created GWS.

It will simply make it harder and harder for us to win a premiership, whilst the power clubs like Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon + West Coast dont loose any players, and continue to gravitate towards the top.

The AFL doesnt want us to succeed, we are there to make up the numbers.

Rocco Jones
26-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I think a few of our fans have a victim's mentality. Sure it's harder for 'poorer' clubs to retain their players but perhaps it goes deeper than that, into a place that we can actually control, our culture. North are dirt poor too but Swallow and co will be wearing blue and white rather than charcoal.

No point whinging about being poor, what can we as a club do to keep players?

Go_Dogs
26-08-2011, 09:32 AM
With Cooney's injury Callan is our 2nd best midfielder at present.

Did you forget about a bloke called Ryan Griffen? Or perhaps you were alluding to him being the #1. On reflection, I think you were. :D

Seems like Ward is gone. Very sad and disappointing. Has already been a good player for us, and is only likely to improve from this point onwards.

As others have mentioned, based on age and the purported salary, we should receive band 1 compensation. At the end of the day, we just have to remember its all a result of trading McMahon to Richmond - and could now net us 2 first rounders. :o

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh well.

Someone will rise over the next couple of seasons (perhaps they have already started too this season) who'll be a next club champ to join the recent ranks of the current 99-02 crop, BJ, Westy, Grant etc.

Good luck Cal, hope you break your leg against us next season, but any player (or anyone) would be mad not to take a deal like this.

Next.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Good Riddance! Enjoy West Sydney Callan:p

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Oh well.

Someone will rise over the next couple of seasons (perhaps they have already started too this season) who'll be a next club champ to join the recent ranks of the current 99-02 crop, BJ, Westy, Grant etc.

Good luck Cal, hope you break your leg against us next season, but any player (or anyone) would be mad not to take a deal like this.

Next.

About the only decent player they've lost is Gibson.Stkilda haven't lost any players though.
Got a point though Rocco.

Ozza
26-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Pretty ordinary comments directed towards Callan Ward personally on here.

He's a young bloke offered a huge amount of money to play for a new club and set his whole life up. Its disappointing, really disappointing if he goes - but a few of you need to get a grip.

Footy is his job. He can do the same job elsewhere and be paid twice the money. It would be incredibly hard to say no to that opportunity.

1eyedog
26-08-2011, 10:55 AM

This doesn't make sense. I doubt we'll see more of the same if we stand him down.

Of course we demand loyalty, but once it's gone (from the player end) why should we stick to our end of the bargain and play him for two more games while Wallis is in the stands?

We are out of the finals now and I don't think anyone would agreive us if we stood Ward done for the last two matches. Loyalty has to be a two way street otherwise it is just lunacy.

We have Wally and Libba now, so we have like players and I'm optimistic about Dolly and Schofield. With a fit Lake and semi-fit Cooney I think we'll enter next year in better shape that this year to be honest.

Greystache
26-08-2011, 11:01 AM

He's a young bloke offered a huge amount of money to play for a new club and set his whole life up. Its disappointing, really disappointing if he goes - but a few of you need to get a grip.

Footy is his job. He can do the same job elsewhere and be paid twice the money. It would be incredibly hard to say no to that opportunity.

So were Swallow, Kreuzer, Martin, Pendlebury, Thomas, etc yet they all stayed. I guess money isn't the only important thing to them, or perhaps they think they can actually make a living for themselves after age 30 and football isn't their only hope in life.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Total Rubbish! Kruezer, Thomas, Martin and others say "Hello".
Well if this his "job" can we give him his two weeks notice( happens in most jobs)
And give a young employee his position!
His hardly going to be living on a cardboard box and sleeping under a bridge somewhere if he accepts our offer!

Ozza
26-08-2011, 11:23 AM
So were Swallow, Kreuzer, Martin, Pendlebury, Thomas, etc yet they all stayed. I guess money isn't the only important thing to them, or perhaps they think they can actually make a living for themselves after age 30 and football isn't their only hope in life.

Or maybe the clubs were proactive with them and got discussions started much earlier in the piece than we did. And maybe, at a minimum, Pendelbury, Thomas and Kreuzer saw a fair bit of success in their immediate futures.

In any case - its Callan's decision and it doesn't make him a horrible person. Nor does it make Gary Ablett one.

I'm fine with you being annoyed at the decision. My comments were directed more so at reading things like 'I hope he breaks his leg'...

bulldogsthru&thru
26-08-2011, 11:33 AM
His hardly going to be living on a cardboard box and sleeping under a bridge somewhere if he accepts our offer!

+1

He'll still be earning a very decent living for himself if he stays. He is just chasing money and for him to sit silent and not tell the club is a disgrace IMO. I'll be booing him if he goes as he deserves it. Look at the personality of all the players who have left to the GC - money hungry - you can see it in Ablett, Brennan, Brown etc. Rischitelli had a reason as the Lions attempted to trade him and Harbrow went for family. I believe Scully fits the mould of the Abletts and Browns but i didnt think Ward did. Shattering. I hope GWS fails big time. Chances are they will be exactly like Port where the AFL handed them all the players in the world, they one a grand final, and once all those players ended their careers, they are now sinking into extinction. GC and GWS will follow suit. Unfortunately i think we will see a 3-4 year period where every grand final is GC vs GWS. AFL will be in dire straights then!

Cyberdoggie
26-08-2011, 11:37 AM
If he has as good as announced his decision and we have no finals asperations, why should we play him!

It has nothing to do with being spiteful towards Ward, rather that we have a duty to blood the players that will be playing in the red white and blue in the future.

Obiously he wants to do the same thing Harbrow and Ablett did and wait until the day after the season ends, which i can understand but if i did that at my source of employment and strung them along knowing that i had a job elsewhere then they wouldn't be happy when all of a sudden i wasn't there. They would expect that i would have a duty of responsibility to inform them if i intend to seek employment elsewhere.

If Ward wants to go for the money (and i'm not saying that is totally evil) then he needs to have the balls to stand up and say he has made his decision, however hard it is, and he can then have a nice little holiday up north where no one knows who is. Maybe the extra time off will help him deal with the realization that every time he comes home to the inner west of melbourne for the rest of his life he won't be greated as a hero but as a traitor and a villain by anyone who recognizes him (no hard feelings from my end but i can guarantee you he won't get any pats on the back from the common man walking around footscray anytime soon).

We had too many inside mids anyway!, and that whole 1 sock up and 1 down thing was really giving me the irits!........:(

Maddog37
26-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I will support Ward as long as he is a Dogs player. If he runs out in the colours he deserves our respect.

If he goes, he is the opposition and a player that chose to leave us thus he becomes someone that deserves our wrath. It is us against them and GWS is the perfect manifestation of "them".

It cuts me up as I really took a shine to Callan the first time I saw him play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Or maybe the clubs were proactive with them and got discussions started much earlier in the piece than we did. And maybe, at a minimum, Pendelbury, Thomas and Kreuzer saw a fair bit of success in their immediate futures.

In any case - its Callan's decision and it doesn't make him a horrible person. Nor does it make Gary Ablett one.

I'm fine with you being annoyed at the decision. My comments were directed more so at reading things like 'I hope he breaks his leg'...

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly Ozza, it's very easy for us who are not faced with the offer open to Callan to denigrate him for taking it. I wonder how many if faced with a similar decision would take the coin.
To actually wish ill upon him for it just seems over the top and the sort of comment I wouldn't expect to read on this site.

Greystache
26-08-2011, 12:09 PM

He's been (publicly) umming and ahhing and delaying talks for the whole season, when should we have started discussions, 2009? And no doubt the day after round 24 is finished he'll magically be able to finally decide. Please!

Taking the money doesn't make him a bad person, just a mercenary. Mercenary's can be nice people too, you just have to accept that if anything comes between them and money they'll choose money everytime.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-08-2011, 12:10 PM
I will support Ward as long as he is a Dogs player. If he runs out in the colours he deserves our respect.

If he goes, he is the opposition and a player that chose to leave us thus he becomes someone that deserves our wrath. It is us against them and GWS is the perfect manifestation of "them".

It cuts me up as I really took a shine to Callan the first time I saw him play.

Look I'm torn as well, as you from day 1 I knew he was going to be a player I really enjoyed watching play. If we were talking about him leaving for a similar or slightly larger offer then I could perhaps be more scornful of his likely decision to leave, but the magnitude of the difference between what we can reasonably offer him and that which GWS are proposing is just to great.

And yes I know Kruezer, Thomas and Pendlebury have turned down offers of the same or greatervalue , but given it's Collingwood & Carlton involved here, I wonder if there are not other inducements or promises they have provided to bridge the gap.

It's perhaps an indictment on our clubs ability to compete with these clubs in terms of being able to offer ancillary benefits to our guys of the same scope of Club Eddie and also the Cheats.

Ozza
26-08-2011, 12:20 PM
He's been (publicly) umming and ahhing and delaying talks for the whole season, when should we have started discussions, 2009? And no doubt the day after round 24 is finished he'll magically be able to finally decide. Please!

Taking the money doesn't make him a bad person, just a mercenary. Mercenary's can be nice people too, you just have to accept that if anything comes between them and money they'll choose money everytime.

2010 would have been a start. We knew when his contract was coming up and we knew when the GWS was coming in.

The club didn't talk to Harbrow early enough - and probably didn't start early enough with Ward either.

Whether it would have swayed the decision - that much we'll never know.

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2011, 12:26 PM
2010 would have been a start. We knew when his contract was coming up and we knew when the GWS was coming in.

The club didn't talk to Harbrow early enough - and probably didn't start early enough with Ward either.

Whether it would have swayed the decision - that much we'll never know.

We were worried about Ward leaving mid-2010. We had already been trying to re-sign him for quite some time by then.

Despite all of Ward's handwringing about not knowing what to do, I think he signed in the 2010 free agency window.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 12:43 PM
The clubs bigger than Ward. It allows an in for Libba and Wallis, and potentially 2 if not 3 first round picks in next years superdraft. His move could be the making of our club in 3 to 4 years time.

Curly5
26-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Will he attend Mad Monday and the B & F and the footy trip away?

Or will Sheedy meet him in the rooms after the Freo game and drive him to the airport? :(

SlimPickens
26-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Will he attend Mad Monday and the B & F and the footy trip away?

Or will Sheedy meet him in the rooms after the Freo game and drive him to the airport? :(

The other players won't stop being his mate because he is moving clubs.

Greystache
26-08-2011, 01:47 PM
We were worried about Ward leaving mid-2010. We had already been trying to re-sign him for quite some time by then.

despite all of Ward's handwringing about not knowing what to do, I think he signed in the 2010 free agency window.

So do I now. just another Harbrow without the guise of moving to be closer to family.

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 09:01 PM
This doesn't make sense. I doubt we'll see more of the same if we stand him down.

Of course we demand loyalty, but once it's gone (from the player end) why should we stick to our end of the bargain and play him for two more games while Wallis is in the stands?

We are out of the finals now and I don't think anyone would agreive us if we stood Ward done for the last two matches. Loyalty has to be a two way street otherwise it is just lunacy.

We have Wally and Libba now, so we have like players and I'm optimistic about Dolly and Schofield. With a fit Lake and semi-fit Cooney I think we'll enter next year in better shape that this year to be honest.

In fours years time Ward might be looking to head back to Victoria but burning him just out of spite would probably rule us out as a potential candidate.

Nothing is gained by giving him the bums rush in fact it will just confirm that our club treats players poorly. I think we can do this with a bit more dignity.

Greystache
26-08-2011, 10:10 PM
In fours years time Ward might be looking to head back to Victoria but burning him just out of spite would probably rule us out as a potential candidate.

Nothing is gained by giving him the bums rush in fact it will just confirm that our club treats players poorly. I think we can do this with a bit more dignity.

If that's the case you'd think he'd just sign with the highest bidder wouldn't you? Not sure anything else would be a consideration.

AndrewP6
26-08-2011, 10:43 PM

And what part of that makes them a good person?

mjp
26-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Callan is my friend and the first player I coached to be drafted by the club I support.

Whilst if he decides to leave I will be disappointed as a Bulldogs supporter, if he was my son I would be advising him to make the jump to GWS. That might not be what others who post here would do or recommend, but a footballers earning potential is pretty tenuous - he is a knee reco away from this next contract being his last - and from the perspective of the individual taking the $'s on offer is the right thing to do.

Am I worried about this as a Dog's supporter? Not really. Players come and players go - and I support the ones who wear the red, white and blue (and don't give much thought to those playing for other teams). I have so much footy in my life that the AFL is the Bulldogs to me - my Friday night is spent watching WAFL player tapes in preparation for Saturday's game, not Friday night footy on TV - and regardless of what Call does my feelings towards him or the club wont change.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 11:04 PM

I'll give you 100 to 1 Ward coming back!Can you explain How we treat our players Poorly?
If you're referring to Harbrow I think he got off lightly!Eade wanted Jarrod to tell him and didn't bother! Then was disingenuous when interviewed, not even acknowledging the fact we gave a rookie a shot at league football.

chef
26-08-2011, 11:10 PM
If that's the case you'd think he'd just sign with the highest bidder wouldn't you? Not sure anything else would be a consideration.

This x 1000.

He would end up playing for Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 11:15 PM

Exactly, he won't end up with us ! Some on here are talking pie in the sky fairytale stuff.

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I'll give you 100 to 1 Ward coming back!Can you explain How we treat our players Poorly?
If you're referring to Harbrow I think he got off lightly!Eade wanted Jarrod to tell him and didn't bother! Then was disingenuous when interviewed, not even acknowledging the fact we gave a rookie a shot at league football.

Why would you want to burn him? What good does it do for the club or the playing group?
It might make petty people feel good but it's not the way to conduct a professional business.

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 11:40 PM

How can you determine that? He has a once in a lifetime offer that he is weighing up.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Why would you want to burn him? What good does it do for the club or the playing group?
It might make petty people feel good but it's not the way to conduct a professional business.

Yes, what does it do for a playing group when a potential capt walks?
Sorry don't feel the love for Ward .:rolleyes:

Greystache
27-08-2011, 12:00 AM
How can you determine that? He has a once in a lifetime offer that he is weighing up.

If he's prepared to leave his family, friends, the area he grew up in, and the club that gave him his chance in the AFL to go to a soulless entity, based in one of the shittiest areas in Australia, to join a team that will get belted every week, for the money, then he'll sell himself to the highest bidder again next contract. I doubt the environment or his personal feelings toward the the wage provider will be all that high on his list of priorities.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 12:01 AM

So according to you he'd knockback higher offers from the big boys to return to us?
Seriously I've just seen a pig flying through the night sky.

GVGjr
27-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, what does it do for a playing group when a potential capt walks?
Sorry don't feel the love for Ward .:rolleyes:

What does it do to the playing group if a team mate is shat on?
You can't expect the type of loyalty from players that you and a few others are insisting on if you then treat players poorly. I just don't see him leaving as a betrayal.

GVGjr
27-08-2011, 12:07 AM
So according to you he'd knockback higher offers from the big boys to return to us?
Seriously I've just seen a pig flying through the night sky.

I can't see how you are reading that into what I said but then again.....
I just don't see what is gained by treating players shabbily.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 12:07 AM
If he's prepared to leave his family, friends, the area he grew up in, and the club that gave him his chance in the AFL to go to a soulless entity, based in one of the shittiest areas in Australia, to join a team that will get belted every week, for the money, then he'll sell himself to the highest bidder again next contract. I doubt the environment or his personal feelings toward the the wage provider will be all that high on his list of priorities.

He'd have already set a precedent. I think some here believe in Santa Claus and the tooth Fairy, honestly!

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 12:20 AM
You can't expect the type of loyalty from players that you and a few others are insisting on if you then treat players poorly. I just don't see him leaving as a betrayal.

Who is treating him poorly? The club? the fans? He'd be a chance to be capt of an iconic Football club that's been around since 1883. Alas he'd rather leave for a pot of gold at a soulless, bottomless pit of a shithole.

GVGjr
27-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Who is treating him poorly? The club? the fans?
There are calls that he shouldn't be played if he announces his intention to move to GWS.
Unless his team mates don't want him in the team I'd like to see him play the last game of the season.

Grantysghost
27-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I dont understand why supporters are trying to justify his decision to leave when or if it occurs. Obviously he doesn't believe in the club and its future. Thomas, Pendlebury, Martin etc feel their current clubs can offer them something more than money. If Callan leaves, his opinion of the Western Bulldogs is that they can not. This burns me more than him purely leaving for cash. He is saying i've spent three years in your system, and from what i've seen i dont see anything greater than my base desire to succeed personally.... Lets hope we can prove him wrong.

comrade
27-08-2011, 12:45 AM

He won't be a teammate next year. If I was a player and a bloke was leaving my Club for cash, I'd tell him to piss off.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 12:56 AM
There are calls that he shouldn't be played if he announces his intention to move to GWS.
Unless his team mates don't want him in the team I'd like to see him play the last game of the season.

Sorry, but the tail wagging the dog would be more apt!
The coach, and the MC determine who plays not the player.
I'd imagine they'd be looking to next year if Ward said he's going.
Hence he'd be out of the game ala Bock last year

chef
27-08-2011, 08:38 AM

To me W$rd's the one shitting on his team mates(and the club, supporters etc).

So your saying that the player group would be pissed off if we dropped a player who doesn't want to be here next year and beyond, I think your kidding yourself and can think of a dozen other players who would happily take his spot for the last two games.

They didn't give Terry Wallace a send off game so why should they give one to Ward.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2011, 08:58 AM

You sound like the bloke who's girlfriend has run off and got married to someone else but don't think poorly of her because if it doesn't work out she might come back.

He's been shagging GC and the only thing left to do now is put the sex tape we did a few years ago on the internet.

I would love our blokes to belt the crap out of him next year but with Cement Head that wouldn't help.

GVGjr
27-08-2011, 10:15 AM
To me W$rd's the one shitting on his team mates(and the club, supporters etc).

So your saying that the player group would be pissed off if we dropped a player who doesn't want to be here next year and beyond, I think your kidding yourself and can think of a dozen other players who would happily take his spot for the last two games.

They didn't give Terry Wallace a send off game so why should they give one to Ward.

You have misread what I have said. Unless the playing group don't want him in the side I just see no reason for others to disrespect him. It's a big decision and I think most players would respect that.

Now regarding Wallace, to me there is no comparison. Wallace left because he didn't think he could take the group further. The playing group was rightly disappointed. I don't see the comparison between Wards once in a lifetime chance and Wallace's departure with another year to run on the contract.

the banker
27-08-2011, 10:32 AM
If he has decided to go it will be for the money. I respect that he has teh right to make that decision, however that disqaulifies him as a bulldog IMO.

While we should respect his right to make the decision, he should respect us and tell us before now. I would release him straight away and play Wallis etc.

If he delays the ...'I am going, it was a very hard decison etc etc..." statement till the end of the year, I will feel cheated by him.

Callan, if you have made your mind up, you should have the balls to tell us what you are doing last week when all the signings were announced.

If you genuinely haven't made your mind up by now, I think you will stay....but please don't work us over

BornInDroopSt'54
27-08-2011, 10:44 AM
We all want loyalty and supporting The Bulldogs is all about loyalty but if free agency comes in it will undermine loyalty further. The Callan Ward scenario will be x 1000.

SonofScray
27-08-2011, 11:46 AM
If he stays he gets the respect of the fans for a lifetime and essentially gets a free pass as a Bulldog Legend should his career continue the way it is at the moment.

If he goes, no love from us fans, no recognition as a valuable Bulldog during his career. Just a guy who moved on. I'm quite happy to keep it black and white, its a fickle game in a way.

LongWait
27-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Players move between clubs - always have and always will be the case. Some of our favorite sons have played for other clubs before becoming Bulldogs, including Barry and The People's Beard.

As long as the AFL adequately compensates the club, I'll be happy enough whichever way Callan decides to go. Whilst Callan wears our club colours I hope fans cheer him on. If he ever plays in another's colours, I hope our fans sledge him and boo him. Same as it's always been since 1883.

boydogs
27-08-2011, 12:45 PM
The Callan Ward scenario will be x 1000.

Not really. Aside from the years of service stuff, there won't be the massive budgets around that the startups have been given, which are being concentrated into 10 senior players with 40 kids on the list.

3rd party payments will come under the microscope, and we may actually see some tightening of the boundaries already being pushed.

There will probably be more movement, but not like the Callan scenario where a young star happy where he is is lured by massive offers.

ledge
27-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Gee this tends to get personal, some posters here are hating him already, funny if he stays you will be screaming the opposite, how fickle are some fans?
In the second it takes to sign a piece of paper !
I am a fan of my club and whoever plays for it, for those who dont, I dont follow but because they choose to play for another team that doesnt make them a bad person.

Leave the kid alone and put yourselves in his shoes, we are individuals and we all make the choice we think will do us best.
I will be rapt if he stays but if he leaves another door opens, I wish him well and hope we win a premiership as I always do.
If I actually met him and he had left I would probably say "I wish you stayed mate hows things up there" certainly no animosity after all its his proffession.
Do we hate people who were our mates in a work place but left for another job, whether its in the same industry or not?

cinder
27-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Who gives a sh*t about a CEO going from corporation to corporation, it's hardly the same thing. These guys are role models; little kids wear jumpers with their number on their backs and posters on their bedroom walls FFS. That's why it matters and that's why it's heart breaking.

Sedat
27-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Played like he had a lot on his mind today. I genuinely believe he hasn't made his mind up yet, and now realises that 'piss or get off the pot' time is fast approaching. He really struggled to involve himself in the contest today, which he's had no trouble at all in doing up until now.

LostDoggy
27-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Who gives a sh*t about a CEO going from corporation to corporation, it's hardly the same thing. These guys are role models; little kids wear jumpers with their number on their backs and posters on their bedroom walls FFS. That's why it matters and that's why it's heart breaking.

Come on mate, don't pretend you didn't have a Sol Trujillio posted on your wall growing up...
I'm just going to pretend he played like the whole season like he did today. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't his best game of the year.

Makes me feel slightly better about him leaving

w3design
27-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Played like he had a lot on his mind today. I genuinely believe he hasn't made his mind up yet, and now realises that 'piss or get off the pot' time is fast approaching. He really struggled to involve himself in the contest today, which he's had no trouble at all in doing up until now.
Agreed, not Cal's best game. Hope it indicated wrestling with his demons. I hope he looked around and said I won't get to play at this great stadium for quite some years if I leave.

cinder
27-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Come on mate, don't pretend you didn't have a Sol Trujillio posted on your wall growing up...
I'm just going to pretend he played like the whole season like he did today. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't his best game of the year.

Makes me feel slightly better about him leaving

Didn't he play for Carlton? ;)

I hope he didn't play crap because he felt guilty about his decision...

Grantysghost
27-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Totally agree, im over comparisons between normal jobs and football. If you feel bad about Cal leaving (and how you couldn't is beyond me) let it out, dont try and justify it to yourselves....! Im angry like Bill Murray the fourth time he saw Ned Ryerson in groundhog day! Good luck to Cal, but im not pretending its ok....

bornadog
27-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Spot on Sedat. Heard Lee Matthews after the game wondering why GWS would pay him $million with a game like today.

G-Mo77
27-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Was being tagged but that is how it came across to me as well. Didn't look anywhere near the player that we've seen for most of the year.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Agree entirely. It's not a normal 9 to 5 Job, kids are living their childhood dreams!
It's just lunacy to compare it!:eek:

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Was being tagged but that is how it came across to me as well. Didn't look anywhere near the player that we've seen for most of the year.

He'd wanna get used to it next season if he leaves.
Scully and himself will be tagged relentlessly.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 11:13 PM
100%Gone. A relative knows his best buddy. Do the right think and not play him next week!
In Wallis Out Ward

LostDoggy
28-08-2011, 12:52 AM

Most of the year? He's had about 6 good games -- let's not overrate our own. GWS are offering way over the odds, will be doing us a favour if we end up with Band 1 compensation.

ps. GVG, I don't think people are necessarily just pissed off with him leaving, it's how he's been stringing the team and the supporters along, essentially treating us as mugs. I don't see why we should be respecting someone who has zero respect for us as paying members. Do the honorable thing and come out like Bock and Phil Davis did -- we are WAY too soft on dickhead behaviour (and Ward may not be a dickhead generally, but lying for 12 months is dickhead behaviour.. no way around it).

I think it's ridiculous to give him games at the expense of the development of those who are staying.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Most of the year? He's had about 6 good games -- let's not overrate our own. GWS are offering way over the odds, will be doing us a favour if we end up with Band 1 compensation.

ps. GVG, I don't think people are necessarily just pissed off with him leaving, it's how he's been stringing the team and the supporters along, essentially treating us as mugs. I don't see why we should be respecting someone who has zero respect for us as paying members. Do the honorable thing and come out like Bock and Phil Davis did -- we are WAY too soft on dickhead behaviour (and Ward may not be a dickhead generally, but lying for 12 months is dickhead behaviour.. no way around it).

I think it's ridiculous to give him games at the expense of the development of those who are staying.

Exactly this.

LostDoggy
28-08-2011, 02:39 AM

Agree with the odds and the band one. Helps us enourmously in the rebuild and I'd personally beg Ward to go if we could bank on it. Not, however, convinced the guy has been stringing anyone along. I felt fouled by Harbrows departure as he clearly knew early he'd be off. I'm pretty convinced that Ward has only decided now the club has put everything on the table and it seems like he had a far harder decision. Gone now so lets play Wallis but it's hard to hate the guy for wrestling over a pretty huge decision. I don't know this, it's speculation based on what has played out, but that's how it seems to me.

immortalmike
28-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Question to everyone who seems to be okay with Ward leaving.

How is Ward's decision any different to Nathan Brown's?

Both are leaving (or left) the club for more money and possibly better prospects at a stage where we need(ed) them quite badly. In fact Ward is being offered much more to stay than Nathan was and Brown was not a local boy.

GVGjr
28-08-2011, 06:40 AM

I think that is the easy option a number of people are taking. Last year there was very few calls for Harbrow to be dropped because we were in the finals and now because we aren't all of a sudden the frustrations are directed towards Ward.
He is taking us for mugs? give me a break. I read it that he's struggling with the decision.
And as for the fact that one more game is at the expense of the development of others well you can hold on to that view if that is the way you see it but the majority of people wanting the club to make an example of Ward (because it's supposedly now holding back others) never piped up when year after year we hung on to the likes of Hahn, Eagleton and Akermanis when they were passed there use-by date.

In a couple of days time we will know his decision and if it's to leave then I'll support the playing groups view on if he gets another game or not. He does need to make his decision though and can't defer it any longer.

GVGjr
28-08-2011, 06:53 AM

Both are leaving (or left) the club for more money and possibly better prospects at a stage where we need(ed) them quite badly. In fact Ward is being offered much more to stay than Nathan was and Brown was not a local boy.

I'm not OK with Ward leaving but from my perspective Brown repeatedly linked his decision to if Darcy was staying and when Darcy and the Dogs came to terms, Brown effectively chose Wallace over his team mates. His position when the media all season was about if Darcy was staying but in reality he had already made up his mind.

Players like Ward and Harbrow have to view these offers by the start up clubs are once in a lifetime opportunities to set them up financially. It hurts if you lose them but some think the decisions are just black or white and I'm sure in this instance it isn't.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm not OK with Ward leaving but from my perspective Brown repeatedly linked his decision to if Darcy was staying and when Darcy and the Dogs came to terms, Brown effectively chose Wallace over his team mates. His position when the media all season was about if Darcy was staying but in reality he had already made up his mind.

Players like Ward and Harbrow have to view these offers by the start up clubs are once in a lifetime opportunities to set them up financially. It hurts if you lose them but some think the decisions are just black or white and I'm sure in this instance it isn't.

Sorry, I'm not really up with this historical tit bit. Luke Darcy? What was Nathan Brown's problem with Luke Darcy. Can PM if its a bit off topic. Spent much of that period overseas.

GVGjr
28-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I'm not really up with this historical tit bit. Luke Darcy? What was Nathan Brown's problem with Luke Darcy. Can PM if its a bit off topic. Spent much of that period overseas.

Both guys were coming out of contract and Brown indicated that if Darcy was staying he would as well. Darcy stayed and Brown left us.

Mofra
28-08-2011, 11:37 AM
ps. GVG, I don't think people are necessarily just pissed off with him leaving, it's how he's been stringing the team and the supporters along, essentially treating us as mugs. I don't see why we should be respecting someone who has zero respect for us as paying members.
Given he hadn't made up his mind yet as of the start of this week as far as his parents were concerned means this is just sort of comment plain unfair on Callan.

It's a massive decision and given his family are split on what he should do it's far too early to start slagging the kid off over a decision most kids in their early 20s don't have to make.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't begrudge him going. But if he does make a decision, I don't think we should play him.

1eyedog
28-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Must have made up his mind by now, why doesn't he just come clean like a man and spit it all out rather than hide under the pretence in order to make it easier for him. Really, its been all about Ward, so mate, stop being selfish and let the club know you are going, no one will begrudge you.

We should play Wallis instead.

Rocco Jones
28-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Must have made up his mind by now, why doesn't he just come clean like a man and spit it all out rather than hide under the pretence in order to make it easier for him. Really, its been all about Ward, so mate, stop being selfish and let the club know you are going, no one will begrudge you.

We should play Wallis instead.

I understand your frustration and have said the same thing but just a couple of points...

- I know it's a bit selfish but perhaps he is say 95% rather than 100% sure and just wants to give himself as much time as possible

- The AFL. As annoying as it is, Demetriou and co are doing their uber stubborn thing and are putting pressure on all linked with GWS (as with GC) to not give info on who has signed as they only do it during the magical window period. Ward is probably getting a heap of pressure on him to remain quiet from AFL house.

bornadog
28-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Both guys were coming out of contract and Brown indicated that if Darcy was staying he would as well. Darcy stayed and Brown left us.

Brown was just after the cash. Rose came to the club and asked all players to take a pay cut and Brown wouldn't. To Brown this was the last straw as he had already been wooed by Richmond The Richmond President took Brown for a helicopter ride over properties on the Peninsula and pointed out the land Brown would get if he went to Richmond as he could help him develop it and sell for a nice profit. This was after Brown and Richmond' s Campbell were given a pub together as joint owners in July.

I agree with you the Harbrow and Ward situation is different due to the start up clubs offering big dollars.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Brown was just after the cash. Rose came to the club and asked all players to take a pay cut and Brown wouldn't. To Brown this was the last straw as he had already been wooed by Richmond The Richmond President took Brown for a helicopter ride over properties on the Peninsula and pointed out the land Brown would get if he went to Richmond as he could help him develop it and sell for a nice profit. This was after Brown and Richmond' s Campbell were given a pub together as joint owners in July.

I agree with you the Harbrow and Ward situation is different due to the start up clubs offering big dollars.

Where did you find this stuff out?
Interesting.

Twodogs
28-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Where did you find this stuff out?
Interesting.

It's fairly common knowldge. BTW it was the Gold Coast not the Peninsula.

Twodogs
28-08-2011, 02:07 PM
100%Gone. A relative knows his best buddy. Do the right think and not play him next week!

He must have a lot of best buddies or that buddy has fairly loose lips. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard this from people who know his buddies/family etc. I stopped listening to what Snowy on the tram said when I was a kid.

immortalmike
28-08-2011, 03:48 PM

While the background has been a little different, I remember quite well the anger over Brown specifically leaving for money and the betrayal at sucha low point in our club's history. If I remember correctly the Darcy stuff was early in the year and not much was said after it was clear our season was going nowhere. I'm not sure what you mean about him choosing Wallace considering Frawley was still coaching the Tigers in Nathan's first year there.

The fact is that the two situations have alot more in common than they don't and if Brown is all about the money then why isn't Ward? The fact is Ward is choosing monetary gain and monetary gain only over his teammates, a group of supporters that loves and respects him, the club that developed him, his home and family and friends, all while being offered a fairly unprecedented contract from the Bulldogs worth more than Ryan Griffen's ( who turned down a fairly large contract from the Crows himself). The fact of the matter is that this doesn't happen that often, even Judd had the go-home factor.

Mofra
28-08-2011, 05:12 PM
The fact is that the two situations have alot more in common than they don't and if Brown is all about the money then why isn't Ward? The fact is Ward is choosing monetary gain and monetary gain only over his teammates, a group of supporters that loves and respects him, the club that developed him, his home and family and friends, all while being offered a fairly unprecedented contract from the Bulldogs worth more than Ryan Griffen's ( who turned down a fairly large contract from the Crows himself).
As far as we know Ward is being offered a substantial increase by the Bulldogs to his current contract.
Brown was reportedly rewarded for his AA form with a reduced contract - I know most like to paint him as Judas, but most would have walked under those circumstances.

comrade
28-08-2011, 05:19 PM
As far as we know Ward is being offered a substantial increase by the Bulldogs to his current contract.
Brown was reportedly rewarded for his AA form with a reduced contract - I know most like to paint him as Judas, but most would have walked under those circumstances.

So Brown's decision is less of a betrayal than Ward's may be?

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2011, 05:22 PM
cant wait to see Picken tagging Ward next season!

Give him hell Liam!

immortalmike
28-08-2011, 06:14 PM

That's sort of my point mate.
Why are we getting so much "oh poor Wardy, it's a tough decision" posts compared to the almost universal burning effigies of Nathan in 03?

LostDoggy
28-08-2011, 06:37 PM
While the background has been a little different, I remember quite well the anger over Brown specifically leaving for money and the betrayal at sucha low point in our club's history. If I remember correctly the Darcy stuff was early in the year and not much was said after it was clear our season was going nowhere. I'm not sure what you mean about him choosing Wallace considering Frawley was still coaching the Tigers in Nathan's first year there.

The fact is that the two situations have alot more in common than they don't and if Brown is all about the money then why isn't Ward? The fact is Ward is choosing monetary gain and monetary gain only over his teammates, a group of supporters that loves and respects him, the club that developed him, his home and family and friends, all while being offered a fairly unprecedented contract from the Bulldogs worth more than Ryan Griffen's ( who turned down a fairly large contract from the Crows himself). The fact of the matter is that this doesn't happen that often, even Judd had the go-home factor.

The flipside of this viewpoint is that the club shoved a huge fat pole up Scotty West. Yes we love, have developed and want Ward, but the problem we are really struggling to suck up is that all the power is his at this end of the spectrum. If Ward was 31 and struggling we'd accept a sacrificial axe as being "for the good of the club". The kid has the chance to decide whats good for him and I for one, am glad this has been such a hard decision for him to make. Having said all of that I'm still utterly pissed at Brown. If you don't get at least slightly pissed you shouldn't be following the club.

GVGjr
28-08-2011, 06:39 PM

To counter this though was Brown was already our highest paid player and Ward just entering into his first serious contract.

ledge
28-08-2011, 07:08 PM
The flipside of this viewpoint is that the club shoved a huge fat pole up Scotty West. Yes we love, have developed and want Ward, but the problem we are really struggling to suck up is that all the power is his at this end of the spectrum. If Ward was 31 and struggling we'd accept a sacrificial axe as being "for the good of the club". The kid has the chance to decide whats good for him and I for one, am glad this has been such a hard decision for him to make. Having said all of that I'm still utterly pissed at Brown. If you don't get at least slightly pissed you shouldn't be following the club.

I find the Westy thing quite wierd supporters cracking it when the club said no more but I saw his last game at Willy and he had a steel brace on and couldnt get up a gallop.
He was shot more than any other player i have ever seen in his last year.

mjp
28-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Brown leaving upset me for 1 reason and 1 only - the whole 'I am leaving to play finals' carry-on that he surrounded the decision with...we knew it was about cash - he knew it was about cash. Be honest.

If Ward leaves he wont need to say anything - everyone knows the decision is financially driven and there wont be the same deceipt.

Ghost Dog
28-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Brown leaving upset me for 1 reason and 1 only - the whole 'I am leaving to play finals' carry-on that he surrounded the decision with...we knew it was about cash - he knew it was about cash. Be honest.

If Ward leaves he wont need to say anything - everyone knows the decision is financially driven and there wont be the same deceipt.

It's for this reason I think he's making a huge mistake. It's a hard game. You need to play with your heart on your sleeve, not your wallet.
He has to really believe in what GWS are doing and everything they stand for. Anything less and I reckon he'll bomb up there.

boydogs
28-08-2011, 08:08 PM
He has to really believe in what GWS are doing and everything they stand for. Anything less and I reckon he'll bomb up there.

If that's the prerequisite, they'll be playing short.

LostDoggy
28-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I find the Westy thing quite wierd supporters cracking it when the club said no more but I saw his last game at Willy and he had a steel brace on and couldnt get up a gallop.
He was shot more than any other player i have ever seen in his last year.

OK - maybe a better example here from Stevens:

"It is unusual for a captain of Boyd's stature to be unsigned so late in a season, with the sticking point believed to be the length of a new agreement.

Boyd, 29 next week, has been offered two years, with debate continuing on whether he is worth three.

Giansiracusa, who will be 30 by the start of next season, also remains in limbo.

It is understood there have been no talks between the Dogs and Giansiracusa's management for several weeks, but there has been debate over whether the forward deserves two years or one year."

Point is, we get very pissed when someone chases the money but the club is pretty tough (as it has to be) at the other end. Food for thought when we get bagging Wards potential motives.

LostDoggy
29-08-2011, 11:18 AM
the majority of people wanting the club to make an example of Ward (because it's supposedly now holding back others) never piped up when year after year we hung on to the likes of Hahn, Eagleton and Akermanis when they were passed there use-by date.

No one piped up? Really? We must be on different forums because I remember a horde or people wanting to make an example of Hahn, Eagleton and Aker (less so because he was still performing).

And I certainly wanted us to drop Harbrow if he had decided to leave -- however, a difference may be that we were still in the finals race so there was no point cutting off our nose to spite our face, but this year we were out of the finals race pretty much from Round 12 onwards, so development became more important, and Callan sucking up precious game time and basically just 'developing' for the good of GWS is ridiculous.

Some are taking it at face value that he's 'struggling with the decision' but I think everyone knows he's gone so believe what you will.

Mofra
29-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Some are taking it at face value that he's 'struggling with the decision' but I think everyone knows he's gone so believe what you will.
You know for sure he gone?

Better tell his sisters and parents, they'd love to know for sure.

Greystache
29-08-2011, 12:20 PM
You know for sure he gone?

Better tell his sisters and parents, they'd love to know for sure.

Or maybe that's just the official party line until he announces the Monday after round 24 he's going. I take more out of him refusing to say what he's decided at round 23 rather than what his family are telling the general public.

Doc26
29-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Or maybe that's just the official party line until he announces the Monday after round 24 he's going. I take more out of him refusing to say what he's decided at round 23 rather than what his family are telling the general public.

Possibly Stache although somewhat optimistically Dale Thomas did draw his position / negotiations out very deep into the year, as late as last week.

With the recent changing landscape to our football operations I could understand Cal. wanting to understand what he's playing with.

For a so called 'cement head' he's shown discipline and a steadfastness in keeping his cards to his chest that in many ways belies his nickname.

For what it's worth I think he's gone but hanging onto a thread of hope that I might be pleasantly surprised.

Mofra
29-08-2011, 01:30 PM
They have a combined family dinner every Wednesday (blended family) and as of last Wednesday his parents didn't know what his decision was

Greystache
29-08-2011, 01:39 PM
They have a combined family dinner every Wednesday (blended family) and as of last Wednesday his parents didn't know what his decision was

Again or maybe that's the party line.

Mofra
29-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Again or maybe that's the party line.
FFS :rolleyes:

Greystache
29-08-2011, 02:45 PM
FFS :rolleyes:

Clever answer. :rolleyes:

If I had a dollar for every person who had an inside scoop about what Callan will do based on something they've heard from a family member I could buy a new house. Given the information seems to flow onto the internet so freely from family members I highly doubt he's telling anyone anything other than he's not decided.

G-Mo77
29-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty much positive that he's going, I think most of us are but there is still something so small in the back of mind that thinks that he may stay. I'd just like to have that small glimmer of hope squashed so I can move on. Callan if you have made your decision just say so, then everyone can all move on.

Mofra
29-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Clever answer. :rolleyes:
Exactly what the repeated comment deserved

If I had a dollar for every person who had an inside scoop about what Callan will do based on something they've heard from a family member I could buy a new house. Given the information seems to flow onto the internet so freely from family members I highly doubt he's telling anyone anything other than he's not decided.
No worries, nobody ever knows anything. Cool. We may as well shut down the site.

Moving on.

I'm pretty much positive that he's going, I think most of us are but there is still something so small in the back of mind that thinks that he may stay.
I very much hope he stays, but if he does go I really hope his contract is heavily front loaded to maximise compensation.
Band 2 would only be "fair" return, and if he managed to snag Tier 1 (which is where Scully sits by all accounts) that would probably suit us to a tee given we are likely to spend 2012 developing/transitioning the regulars.

Greystache
29-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Exactly what the repeated comment deserved

No worries, nobody ever knows anything. Cool. We may as well shut down the site.

Moving on.

Get over yourself.

I've heard 3 reports from people who all know the family well this weekend alone.

Definitely staying.
Definitely going.
Definitely hasn't decided.

LostDoggy
29-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Look, it'll be easy enough to figure this out in hindsight. Let's wait until the week of Mad Monday and Callan's announcement of him signing with GWS, which will happen as surely as the sun will rise. I'm sure some will STILL claim that he only made up his mind in that week, but the rest of us are somewhat less gullible.

Everyone in the football world knows Callan (and Scully, for that matter) is gone, except supposedly his family and himself, ONE WEEK from the end of the season? Please. My greater concern is why our football department isn't out there making waves about compensation.

Mofra
29-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Get over yourself.
I initially made a comment to Lantern - not sure how you stalking me and repeating yourself is my issue

Moving on.

My greater concern is why our football department isn't out there making waves about compensation.
Even if a decision has been made - I'd expect this would be Fantasia's responsibility, and goes further to painting him in a less than favourable light.

Greystache
29-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Everyone in the football world knows Callan (and Scully, for that matter) is gone, except supposedly his family and himself, ONE WEEK from the end of the season? Please. My greater concern is why our football department isn't out there making waves about compensation.

Exactly. Melbourne will get two first round picks because the public expectation is already that they will, and the AFL won't want to be seen to upset the fans twice over the same issue. We've made no noise, seemingly unaware what he's going to do, so there's no expectation for them to do the right thing by us.

We should've been far more proactive, it seems we regularly get caught by surprise by things that others have seen coming.

comrade
30-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Exactly. Melbourne will get two first round picks because the public expectation is already that they will, and the AFL won't want to be seen to upset the fans twice over the same issue. We've made no noise, seemingly unaware what he's going to do, so there's no expectation for them to do the right thing by us.

We should've been far more proactive, it seems we regularly get caught by surprise by things that others have seen coming.

Well, to be fair to Fantasia, this is an unprecedented situation. It's not like we've ever had to deal with a new franchise poaching one of our up and coming stars.

Oh, the Harbrow thing.... :o

Go_Dogs
30-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, to be fair to Fantasia, this is an unprecedented situation. It's not like we've ever had to deal with a new franchise poaching one of our up and coming stars.

Oh, the Harbrow thing.... :o

This seems a common trend. Are we scared to make noise? I'm sure if we'd pumped up Libba's performance more throughout the season he would have scored a Rising Star Nomination by now, even Pearce won it a few years back because Williams was so vocal about him in the media.

The only saving grace for losing Ward has to be 2 first round picks. If the rumoured salary is true, it has to be 2 first round picks. Yet, I'd bet just about everything I have that we won't get that.

The Coon Dog
30-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Article from Caro in today's Age.

Dogs 'not confident' of keeping Ward (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-not-confident-of-keeping-ward-20110829-1jiow.html)

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2011, 10:26 AM
We won't like it but we will move on

We can't upset the whole pay structure of the club to pay one very promising player

The interesting thing was that I noticed an article giving the impression that the AFL had changed its stance on us getting two picks for Ward.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/how-your-team-can-benefit-from-a-gws-raid/story-fn7si05c-1226123730460

BulldogBelle
30-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Agree with the above posts about Fantasia and Smorgan not being vocal enough about demanding reasonable compensation for Ward

They simply need to point out a couple of points of data to the AFL

1) The Western suburbs of Melbourne is Australia's fastest growing area
2) The Western Bulldogs are the only AFL team based in the Western suburbs of Melbourne
3) SoI imagine soccer would the the #1 sport by participation for juniors and seniors in Melbourne West
4) Strong Bulldogs may mean a shift towards AFL and away from soccer for some of the people int he West

Mantis
30-08-2011, 10:40 AM
We can't upset the whole pay structure of the club to pay one very promising player

But if he re-signs with us haven't we alreday done this by 'upping' our initial offer?

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2011, 10:45 AM
But if he re-signs with us haven't we alreday done this by 'upping' our initial offer?

Maybe, its impossible to know given we are not privy to the finer details

I would have thought they would have made a first offer with some wiggle room as part of their negotiating tactic so that they could come back with a better offer. Otherwise it would not have been a negotiation, but rather here is the offer, take it or leave it. I don't think it would have been handled like that.

He should be in our upper echelon, but in some respects mostly on potential, but the reality is we can't afford to keep him on the money offered, and the AFL don't want us to keep him

Ozza
30-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested elsewhere - but if we assume Ward is leaving - is it worth us using the cap space to make a serious play for John Butcher from Port?

Jones at CHF and Butcher at FF - would be pretty exciting to watch in years to come.

SlimPickens
30-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested elsewhere - but if we assume Ward is leaving - is it worth us using the cap space to make a serious play for John Butcher from Port?

Jones at CHF and Butcher at FF - would be pretty exciting to watch in years to come.

Mentioned this in the who we want thread. I'd like to see us make a play for Butcher. If we use the compo pick we get for Ward and maybe a player we might have a chance.

Sedat
30-08-2011, 11:08 AM

Had we traded pick 5 in 2007 to WC anc taken Josh Kennedy off Carlton's hands as some scribes suggested here, our key forward posts would look pretty cosy. Of course we wouldn't have Jarrad Grant if that happened.

Cyberdoggie
30-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Agree with the above posts about Fantasia and Smorgan not being vocal enough about demanding reasonable compensation for Ward

They simply need to point out a couple of points of data to the AFL

1) The Western suburbs of Melbourne is Australia's fastest growing area
2) The Western Bulldogs are the only AFL team based in the Western suburbs of Melbourne
3) SoI imagine soccer would the the #1 sport by participation for juniors and seniors in Melbourne West
4) Strong Bulldogs may mean a shift towards AFL and away from soccer for some of the people int he West

You can't plead for an extra pick by claiming your impoverished.
You can only state your claim based on comparison to other compensations.

ie if Scully and Ward both go to GWS for exactly the same amount of cash then you would expect a similar if not identical compensation. That is the only fair way to do it.

Mofra
30-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Had we traded pick 5 in 2007 to WC anc taken Josh Kennedy off Carlton's hands as some scribes suggested here, our key forward posts would look pretty cosy. Of course we wouldn't have Jarrad Grant if that happened.
I know who I'd prefer. Trading can be hit or miss, but that would have certainly been a hit.

Mantis
30-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I know who I'd prefer. Trading can be hit or miss, but that would have certainly been a hit.

So is drafting.

Over the past 8 to 10 years we have selected 3 talls with picks below no.6.

None of these have turned out to be anything other than 'good ordinary players' and although Grant has the talent to become very good his lack of care factor means he is more than likely to just 'eek' along.

Mofra
30-08-2011, 12:06 PM
So is drafting.

Over the past 8 to 10 years we have selected 3 talls with picks below no.6.
Clayton's legacy is that of being better with late picks than early picks. You were kind enough to him to leave Everitt at pick 11 out of your example, and McMahon/Power weren't fantastic either.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2011, 12:08 PM
A first round pick for Ward would be a disaster.

Two first rounders is what it should be, but as always, we'll get screwed.

bornadog
30-08-2011, 12:12 PM
A first round pick for Ward would be a disaster.

Two first rounders is what it should be, but as always, we'll get screwed.

Why as always?

Is he really worth two first round pics? I don't know what the criteria is do you or any other posters? (Genuine question not smart arse question)

Mofra
30-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Is he really worth two first round pics? I don't know what the criteria is do you or any other posters? (Genuine question not smart arse question)
It seems to be based primarily on the size of the contract offered and the amount of media bleating about their perceived worth.

cinder
30-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I can't wait for this time next week and we'll know for sure. Although I think most of us already know unfortunately ...

Sockeye Salmon
30-08-2011, 12:29 PM

Under the AFL criteria of only considering age and salary he simply must be.

He will be 21 and one of the top 5-6 highly paid players in the competition - and of those he will be only older than Scully.

Using the AFL's own guidelines he will be the 2nd most valuable player in the competition and they will have no option but to rate him as band 1.

We will get band 2. Lock it in, Eddie.

GVGjr
30-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Has the club given Callan a deadline to make the decision? To me it should be this week and the sooner the better.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry, so will we get one or two first round picks for Ward?

Doc26
30-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Sorry, so will we get one or two first round picks for Ward?

GD, this has yet to be ratified by the AFL. I assume they might just hand it over to Kevin Sheahan to determine with his mates.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2011, 07:10 PM
GD, this has yet to be ratified by the AFL. I assume they might just hand it over to Kevin Sheahan to determine with his mates.

Thanks Doc.
...is it just that we don't whine as much as other clubs and thus, get a better deal??
The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

LongWait
30-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks Doc.
...is it just that we don't whine as much as other clubs and thus, get a better deal??
The squeaky wheel gets oiled.

Maybe the time to "squeak" will be after he announces he is going and the details of his contract is known. Until then we are speculating and asking for a ruling based upon a rumor. The club should do all it can within reason to keep Ward and, if he decides to go to GWS, then squeak loud and long.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe the time to "squeak" will be after he announces he is going and the details of his contract is known. Until then we are speculating and asking for a ruling based upon a rumor. The club should do all it can within reason to keep Ward and, if he decides to go to GWS, then squeak loud and long.

You speak the truth.

divvydan
31-08-2011, 01:39 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ward-jumps-bulldog-ship-to-join-gws-20110830-1jk5s.html

CALLAN Ward will be a Greater Western Sydney player next year, with the emerging young midfielder having decided to leave the Western Bulldogs to take up a massive five-year offer with the AFL's expansion team.

Ward will join GWS on a five-year contract believed to be worth $750,000-$800,000 a year, or between $3.75 million and $4 million over the life of the contract. This is expected to be front-ended in the manner of Gary Ablett's five-year deal with Gold Coast.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ward-jumps-bulldog-ship-to-join-gws-20110830-1jk5s.html

Greystache
31-08-2011, 02:01 AM
What a surprise!

After wrestling with the decsion for a gut wrenching 12 months he'll finally decide to take the money the week after the season finishes. What a *!*!*!*!ing joke!

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember hearing the exact same deal offered to Callan in the first few rounds of the season. Coincidence?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Signed. A. Long. Time. Ago. Just. Like. Harbrow.

Remember how our management met with Harbrow late last year to 'put one last pitch to him'? It was just as pointless as the charade Wardy's management (and Wardy himself, and his nearest and dearest -- selling your soul isn't as cheap as it seems at first) have been carrying out with the Dogs.

The only way the media have a 100% record on picking who's going to GC and GWS is because all the players signed on the dotted line on the quiet 12 months ago.

Mofra
31-08-2011, 01:18 PM
The only way the media have a 100% record on picking who's going to GC and GWS is because all the players signed on the dotted line on the quiet 12 months ago.
Taylor Walker was signed, sealed and delivered months ago too according to the media.
That's why the Phil Davis signing was such a shock.

Greystache
31-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Remember how our management met with Harbrow late last year to 'put one last pitch to him'? It was just as pointless as the charade Wardy's management (and Wardy himself, and his nearest and dearest -- selling your soul isn't as cheap as it seems at first) have been carrying out with the Dogs.

Of course he did, and the past few months have been a massive waste of the clubs time in an attempt to make it look like he didn't jump at a big $$ offer.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Of course he did, and the past few months have been a massive waste of the clubs time in an attempt to make it look like he didn't jump at a big $$ offer.

Rather than pot callan before he has made his choice. get behind him and encourage him that we love his work and want him around.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 01:54 AM

You dont know that for certain Lantern. Do you?

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 07:55 PM
You dont know that for certain Lantern. Do you?

Sorry missed this earlier.

Look, if you're asking if I've seen the paper that his signature is on, no of course not. But if you're asking if I've spoken peripherally to people who are paid to know these things behind closed doors, then yes -- there are players that are 'speculated' briefly about in the media due to whisperings or circumstantial evidence: these rumours are a dime a dozen and can be dismissed as coffee shop talk.

Then there are the ones that made commitments on the down-low to the expansion clubs, and these 'lists' (not real lists, but you know what I mean) circulate in football circles and are 'known' months before the end of the season, and these stories never go away because they're based on substance.

The industry gossip trail 'knew' -- but couldn't actually confirm without actual physical proof -- GC's list two months into last season, which turned out to be absolutely 100% accurate. In the same way, everyone knew Scully and Wardy was pretty much gone 4 months ago... information leaks in a cottage industry like football. This is why there was little to no speculation about a whole range of other out-of-contract players. If it was just 'guesswork', Daisy Thomas would be the top of the 'speculated about' list, but any buzz there quickly died down because there was no substance to the guesswork. Phil Davis was a surprise, but only because he HADN'T signed and won't until the end of the season, so there was no 'smoking gun' per se to follow. With Scully and Ward, it was irrelevant what any club's 'key messages' to the media were, it was what was being said in the corridors that told you everything you needed to know, and because there was an evidence trail, it's nearly impossible to keep a lid on it.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry missed this earlier.

Look, if you're asking if I've seen the paper that his signature is on, no of course not. But if you're asking if I've spoken peripherally to people who are paid to know these things behind closed doors, then yes -- there are players that are 'speculated' briefly about in the media due to whisperings or circumstantial evidence: these rumours are a dime a dozen and can be dismissed as coffee shop talk.

Then there are the ones that made commitments on the down-low to the expansion clubs, and these 'lists' (not real lists, but you know what I mean) circulate in football circles and are 'known' months before the end of the season, and these stories never go away because they're based on substance.

Everyone 'knew' -- but couldn't confirm without actual 'proof' -- GC's list two months into last season. In the same way, everyone knew Scully and Wardy was pretty much gone 4 months ago... information leaks in a cottage industry like football. This is why there was little to no speculation about a whole range of other out-of-contract players. If it was just 'guesswork', Daisy Thomas would be the top of the 'speculated about' list, but any buzz there quickly died down because there was no substance to the guesswork. Phil Davis was a surprise, but only because he HADN'T signed and won't until the end of the season, so there was no 'smoking gun' per se to follow. With Scully and Ward, it was irrelevant what any club's 'key messages' to the media were, it was what was being said in the corridors that told you everything you needed to know, and because there was an evidence trail, it's nearly impossible to keep a lid on it.

Seems you have been proven right Lantern! But as others have pointed out, players that leave us are often cursed by the ghosts of Whitten oval...
Watch out Callan!:D

Mofra
01-09-2011, 09:54 PM
The industry gossip trail 'knew' -- but couldn't actually confirm without actual physical proof -- GC's list two months into last season, which turned out to be absolutely 100% accurate. In the same way, everyone knew Scully and Wardy was pretty much gone 4 months ago... information leaks in a cottage industry like football. This is why there was little to no speculation about a whole range of other out-of-contract players. If it was just 'guesswork', Daisy Thomas would be the top of the 'speculated about' list, but any buzz there quickly died down because there was no substance to the guesswork. Phil Davis was a surprise, but only because he HADN'T signed and won't until the end of the season, so there was no 'smoking gun' per se to follow. With Scully and Ward, it was irrelevant what any club's 'key messages' to the media were, it was what was being said in the corridors that told you everything you needed to know, and because there was an evidence trail, it's nearly impossible to keep a lid on it.
I don't buy this at all - many "locked" rumours turn out to be crap, and if people are going to cherry pick the ones that come true as "proof" that the rumours are true, good luck to them but it proves nothing. The conspiracy theories floating around are ridiculous - to suggest Callan himself has been lying to his entire family and close friends for the past 4 months is something I cannot believe.

Alipate Carlisle and Taylor Walker were spoken about as locks earlier in the year yet they re-signed with their respective clubs, and as you have pointed out Phil Davis came from nowhere. Throwing in Scully as gone, the rumour mill if batting at 40% - and we just sacked a coached who took over a rabble and still managed a 57% winning average.