PDA

View Full Version : Time to Review the List - #1 - 10

Lally Bamblett
28-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm new to the board (only joined today) but I'm probably like everyone who's been disappointed this year. I certainly didn't get caught up in the hype of us being the main Victorian contender for the flag (always thought 2009 would be our time for a serious challenge) but always thought we could have a decent season and make the 8 again and at least win another final.

I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks of our list, so I thought I'd start off a thread in jumper number order. Here goes...

# 1 - Farren Ray - reasonable year without setting the world on fire. Still has a bit to learn about the game and needs to work on his inside skills. Would consider sending him back to WA for the right trade. Perhaps a Ryan Murphy or Scott Thornton from Freo as they're both Victorian boys with a bit of height and body size.

# 2 - Robert Murphy - took a while to get into it and has showed glimpses of the Murph of the last couple of years at times. Look out for him next year...can't continue to play CHF though.

# 3 - Chris Grant - Looked like the Granty of old against Port. I hope he goes aroudn again next year simply beacuse of his leadership qualities and presence.

# 4 - Daniel Cross - solid year but still doesn't hurt the opposition enough though. One of the few blokes who win their own football. Would consider trading him if the right deal came our way...I'll probably get pounded for this one.

# 5 - Matthew Boyd - has turned into one of the more important members of the team. Wins his own footy and is double tough. Has become an onfield leader. Need to groom him to take over from Westy.

# 6 - Brad Johnson - solid year, but at times has shown a noticeable selfish streak in his game which is very un-Johnno like. Needs to also stop playing for free kicks. Needs another quality player around him up forward as he's usually copping the opposition's best defender.

# 7 - Scott West - still a quality midfielder but starting to show the signs of 12 or 13 years of tough in and under footy. Need to start thinking about how we replace him as I suspect next year might be it for him.

# 8 - Mitch Hahn - heard a dirty rumour on Sunday that he was considering retiring. Still important for his strength, toughness and bustling ability. If only his skills had a little more polish, he could be a very effective half forward. Could be the Robbo of 07 next year if he doesn't have a good start to the year.

# 9 - Lindsay Gilbee - consistently gets the job done. Plays above his height too often. May be time for him to move up the ground a la Murph. Could easily be a 40 goal midfielder/forward and add another dimension to the team.

# 10 - Nathan Eagleton - needs to be more effective with his long kicking, which, when he is on song, can really hurt opposition sides. Still important for his run and perhaps is a little too unselfish at times when he has the ball inside 50.

southerncross
28-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Great report there Lally. Did you give much credit to that Hahn rumour?

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:17 AM
One of looking at this is with each bracket, which players would get a get a gig with a top 4 team? (Don't get hung up over the actual teams and needs)

From this lot, I'd say Murphy, Johnno and Gilbee.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Scott West and Daniel Cross would walk into any team in the league.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Scott West and Daniel Cross would walk into any team in the league.

Cross maybe, but much as I hate to post this, would you say the same about the 2007 model West?

BulldogBelle
29-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Well Lally, criticising Cross never won any friends on these boards but I tend to agree with you.

If we can get a good trade for Cross then go for it.

Cross doesn't do enough with the ball. I expect a mid-fielder to get the clearances and run with the ball and kick it long into the forward line. Dish out the rough stuff if he has to. Cut them up. Cross doesn't do any of this.

I have the feeling that Cross gains about 5 meters per disposal, a lot of his disposals are sideways and backwards handpasses.

Gets a lot of the ball but not enough of those possessions are clearances and the disposals don't go far.

T R A D E C R O S S

westdog54
29-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm new to the board (only joined today) but I'm probably like everyone who's been disappointed this year. I certainly didn't get caught up in the hype of us being the main Victorian contender for the flag (always thought 2009 would be our time for a serious challenge) but always thought we could have a decent season and make the 8 again and at least win another final.

I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks of our list, so I thought I'd start off a thread in jumper number order. Here goes...

Good analysis Lally, I think you're pretty much spot on with everyone.

As much as I like the idea of Gilbee pushing up the ground, who do you see taking over the kicking-in/playmaker role from the backline. To be quite frank the defender who's kicking and decision making I trust anywhere near as much as Gilbee's is Everitt, but would we be asking too much of the young man to give him that responsibility?

I would've also included that Eagleton needs to be a bit more accountable. Granted, he's a player who does his best damage with his long kicks on the run, but too often his opponent gets away from him. And while he does tackle and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, I think that sometimes he forgets the ball travels both ways.

As for Cross, all I'll say is that I'm glad you didn't post that on BigFooty, because you'd have your head knocked off by now I reckon, despite the fact that you're 100% spot on. Cross doesn't hurt the opposition enough, his kicking is woeful at times, and no-one should consider him an 'untouchable' at trade time.

Sockeye Salmon
29-08-2007, 09:06 AM
What's with the Cross bashing?

When that idiot Street fell across his leg was probably the moment when our season went to shit.

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2007, 09:15 AM

When that idiot Street fell across his leg was probably the moment when our season went to shit.

I've stuck up for Street but that aint far from the truth Sockeye.

To his credit and professionalism Cross has made it back in the team and battled away but he is nowhere near 100% fit and as such is struggling.

He is the type of on fielder leader the club can sorely afford to lose. We know he is not perfect, he doesn't kick the ball that far and he isn't lightning quick - but nobody gives it as much of everything they've got, and nobody will work harder to rectify their weaknesses. His approach has inspired his mates like Boyd to push to a higher level.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Cross isn't 'tradeable'. He's tough, he can mark, he can win the hard ball, he can tackle and he can tag. As our more explosive ball winners fill more time in the middle - Cooney, Griffen, Higgins - expect him and Boyd to really benefit. Too often they are stuck with possession but no option, or not enough leg speed/foot skill to move the ball the way we'd like too. Having some more types like Cooney/Griff/Higgins who can play inside/outside will help those guys out a lot I think.

Let's hope those Hahn rumors aren't true.

The Underdog
29-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Cross may not be the greatest user of a football, but he'd be about the most courageous player on that list.
He isn't afraid to stand in front of leading players to mark and he also has beautiful hands. He's a one grab player in any situation. All qualities that make him an essential part of our list.

Raw Toast
29-08-2007, 11:24 AM

Indeed, though Griffen's decision to take on Adcock rather than handpass didn't help either.

I'd prefer to make Cross captain rather than trade him. West has struggled a bit after being injured but before that was leading the comp for hard-ball gets and was tackling more and better than ever.

Is it just a coincidence that after injuries to Cross and West we suffered our worst defeats under Eade?

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2007, 12:26 PM
One of looking at this is with each bracket, which players would get a get a gig with a top 4 team? (Don't get hung up over the actual teams and needs)

From this lot, I'd say Murphy, Johnno and Gilbee.

I think you are selling a few of these guys short DR

Every team in the league would have West, Cross and Boyd in it AND most would like Ray as the developing midfielder, or a fit Hahn as an utility enforcer type.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I think you are selling a few of these guys short DR

Every team in the league would have West, Cross and Boyd in it AND most would like Ray as the developing midfielder, or a fit Hahn as an utility enforcer type.

I'm not saying they are duds nor wouldn't make teams say 5-16.

But really would Boyd or the 2007 models of West and Cross displace any Cats or WCE midfielders? Or even the Hawks who just chewed us up in the middle?

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:48 PM

But really would Boyd or the 2007 models of West and Cross displace any Cats or WCE midfielders? Or even the Hawks who just chewed us up in the middle?

They'd love Westy with Bartel out.

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2007, 09:39 AM

I think all three would get a game, but would be used differently for team balance purposes. Cross would be the least likely given the injuries, but any club he played at would want to see him in the mix, because of his leadership.