PDA

View Full Version : Finals or bust?

The Adelaide Connection
26-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Have noticed quite a few posters state that they would rather us miss the finals than finish 8th and get knocked out round one (presumably) and was interested to see how everyone felt.

I know there are a lot of hypotheticals involved but at a guess and basing it on making the 8 (and getting knocked out first round) versus finishing in our current spot (12th) what would your preference be and why?

My preference would definitely be to make the 8. Aside it meaning we must have finished the year relatively well, a bit more finals exposure to our group and the likelihood that the team that missed out would be Essendon or the Saints, it is also a matter of pride.

I don't subscribe to the tanking methodology and as a kid I grew up supporting two teams (VFL/AFL and SANFL) that were lucky to win a few games, never mind have a crack at a final. The moments in the four or five wins to get there will heavily outweigh the hurt of another lost final and 12 and 10 reads a hell of a lot better than 7 and 15 for the momentum of the club both offield and onfield in the next year.

Finishing 12th might give us a slightly better draft pick and mean we are able to get a few more games into a couple of younger blokes but what will the damage be to our brand, psyche and membership numbers?

Will it mean the difference between Callan Ward staying or going? Will it mean a potential trade target is not that keen on coming to a club that looks 'on the way down'?

For me we fight like hell in every game, season over or not. And then we fight some more.

Sedat
26-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Give me finals any time. Any chance the players have to taste the increased intensity of finals football is far more positive than the benefits derived from being a couple of places higher up the draft order.

G-Mo77
26-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Finals!

I'm still angry about Jeff White's dive that cost us a finals spot all those years ago. Finals experience is huge and would love some of our kids to experience it. We finish where we are now what do we get? Pick 13 or 14 in a compromised draft. No thanks.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Before our recent win over the Dees I had a very loud discussion with a Blues mate of mine. He wanted to know how the Bulldog supporters have handled the heartache of being so close and fighting so hard for nothing in the recent years only to now watch the absolute decline of our entire side?

I Answered by explaining what it feels like to have an absolute cracking year, how your legends stand up and deliver even when injured, and how your kids play out of their skins.

I then leant in and whispered now in a few weeks you can explain what it feels like to have an absolute cracking year, eyes only on a top four finish only to somehow at the last second miss the coveted top four by half a game, and suddenly find yourself in a knockout final with the Dogs lose by 5 goals and sack ya coach.

I ended it with dont worry you can thank me later we both know You wont win a flag with Ratten anyway ;)

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Wishful thinking I know but I'm hanging on to it.

Hotdog60
26-07-2011, 06:40 AM
You will always go finals, also we put the fitness team on the park we can so if it includes kids and a chance we wont make it so be it.

Playing Cooney in the hope he may give us something is a waste of time and in hindsight didn't give us anything and has most likely put him back a little more. Young blood may have given us the same output.

No tanking I would still want the club to give it it's best shot.

chef
26-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I would rather play finals, but it ain't going to happen this year. Come draft day I would rather finish 12th than 9th though.

The Adelaide Connection
26-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I would rather play finals, but it ain't going to happen this year. Come draft day I would rather finish 12th than 9th though.

I understand what you are saying, and maybe two or three picks earlier will make a big difference, but that means we keep losing. The negatives still outweigh the positives IMO.

chef
26-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Have noticed quite a few posters state that they would rather us miss the finals than finish 8th and get knocked out round one (presumably) and was interested to see how everyone felt.

I know there are a lot of hypotheticals involved but at a guess and basing it on making the 8 (and getting knocked out first round) versus finishing in our current spot (12th) what would your preference be and why?

My preference would definitely be to make the 8. Aside it meaning we must have finished the year relatively well, a bit more finals exposure to our group and the likelihood that the team that missed out would be Essendon or the Saints, it is also a matter of pride.

I don't subscribe to the tanking methodology and as a kid I grew up supporting two teams (VFL/AFL and SANFL) that were lucky to win a few games, never mind have a crack at a final. The moments in the four or five wins to get there will heavily outweigh the hurt of another lost final and 12 and 10 reads a hell of a lot better than 7 and 15 for the momentum of the club both offield and onfield in the next year.

Finishing 12th might give us a slightly better draft pick and mean we are able to get a few more games into a couple of younger blokes but what will the damage be to our brand, psyche and membership numbers?

Will it mean the difference between Callan Ward staying or going? Will it mean a potential trade target is not that keen on coming to a club that looks 'on the way down'?

For me we fight like hell in every game, season over or not. And then we fight some more.

To me these are more important than falling into the 8 and getting bundled out. We need to be preparing for 2012 now.

Bulldog Joe
26-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I am firmly in the "NEVER GIVE UP - NEVER GIVE UP"

The difference in draft picks may or may not make a difference and is unknown for quite a while. Although it is a factor in EVERY round of the draft.

Winning and making finals is worth far more in club culture, membership and sponsorship.

BulldogBelle
26-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Finals

Even if we are on the recieving end of a 70+ point shalacking I would prefer we play finals, important for the development of our younger players

We have lost games that were easily winnable this season, so I doubt we are going to have any September action, unless we go 3 from 4 or 4 from 4, and the teams above us have a terrible run...

Maddog37
26-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Would I like to have a visit from Jen Hawkins every Friday night after I have had a few beers with my mates at the golf club? Yes!

Would I rather see our team play finals this year than not? Yes.

Are either a snowflakes chance in hell of happening? No.....

bornadog
26-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Finals, thats why we play footy.

1eyedog
26-07-2011, 01:09 PM
As I have mentioned elsewhere I personally would rather a 9th place finish than limping into the 8. I think this will provide the hunger and impetus for a better showing next year and not dent the confidence and morale of the group heading into the preseason.

Who wants to be pumped by 123 points again in Perth? I just don't think that is the kind of lesson our young players need nor do I think that is the kind of finale our supporters would want to see.

the banker
26-07-2011, 01:38 PM
The best we can do given the challenges we have with managing aging players and injury.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Finals and the experience it brings.

But we have no chance this year. 6 points off with in juries aplenty and Hawks, West Coast, Freo and Essendon to come.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2011, 07:04 PM
People invest themselves in the club and ride the ups and downs. for the sake of the fans, finals or bust.
There are too many variables to say if finishing outside the 8 is really going to help us next season.
We won't get there this season but want to see the club fight to the bitter end.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 07:38 PM

I am firmly in the "NEVER GIVE UP - NEVER GIVE UP"

The difference in draft picks may or may not make a difference and is unknown for quite a while. Although it is a factor in EVERY round of the draft.

Winning and making finals is worth far more in club culture, membership and sponsorship.

People invest themselves in the club and ride the ups and downs. for the sake of the fans, finals or bust.
There are too many variables to say if finishing outside the 8 is really going to help us next season.
We won't get there this season but want to see the club fight to the bitter end.

We fight no matter what. Go down swinging. Because that's the ONLY way to instill a never-say-die, win-at-all-costs attitude, which is exactly what everybody on this forum has been whinging that we lack.

I'd rather play a final in Perth and be absolutely belted by the team I happen to absolutely loathe than purposefully not try to win games.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 07:53 PM
We don't need to bust in order to not make finals, we aren't good enough anyway.

AndrewP6
26-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd much rather limp into the eight and drop out than languish at the a*** end of the ladder. As previously stated, it would give the Pups a look at what is required to take the next step, and as they say, 'anything can happen'. Yes, I know we haven't got a proverbial snowball's chance of going anywhere, but as someone who has only recently ('07), returned to actively going to games, I'd much prefer to be heading to the G at finals time to watch the Dogs - win, lose or,(as much as I hate them....) draw. Winning games at least helps players' confidence, gets sponsors more air time (thereby helping the coffers), it gives supporters something to get excited about come the weekend.

1eyedog
26-07-2011, 11:19 PM
We fight no matter what. Go down swinging. Because that's the ONLY way to instill a never-say-die, win-at-all-costs attitude, which is exactly what everybody on this forum has been whinging that we lack.

I'd rather play a final in Perth and be absolutely belted by the team I happen to absolutely loathe than purposefully not try to win games.

It's not about purposefully trying to lose. It's about our opinions with regard to whether playing in the finals or not is actually going to provide us with something for next year.

There's no real difference in terms of draft picks etc. if we finish 8, 9 or 10.

kruder
26-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Unfortunatly you dont get a choice!

The Bulldogs are not good enough for a finals berth this year. Simple as that.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Finals football is why the players do a preseason

I would rather give the young boys a taste of finals football and get them hungry for that buzz again

w3design
26-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I want us to try and win each game. For pride, for professionalism, for reward of the hard work of the players and coaches, to give hope to the die hard supporters and give the fickle ones reasons to hang tough.

That shouldn't involve playing aging out of form players in preference to kids.

I don't necessarily agree that any finals experience, even a walloping, is good. I don't think anything is gained from triple figure shellackings on a big stage. It doesn't necessarily build character, it can build the timidity and fear of failure that I think haunts our group.

So I don't think finals should be our sole focus, but neither should folding like a pack of cards and being completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year. We should be selecting young guys (no choice at present), and introducing them to a consistent game plan and a style that will win a lag. Eventually.:(

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I want us to try and win each game. For pride, for professionalism, for reward of the hard work of the players and coaches, to give hope to the die hard supporters and give the fickle ones reasons to hang tough.

That shouldn't involve playing aging out of form players in preference to kids.

I don't necessarily agree that any finals experience, even a walloping, is good. I don't think anything is gained from triple figure shellackings on a big stage. It doesn't necessarily build character, it can build the timidity and fear of failure that I think haunts our group.

So I don't think finals should be our sole focus, but neither should folding like a pack of cards and being completely uncompetitive for the rest of the year. We should be selecting young guys (no choice at present), and introducing them to a consistent game plan and a style that will win a lag. Eventually.:(

Well said

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 01:28 AM
11 wins will get us in. The only game we cant win is the Hawks every other game we can including the Eagles. We are back inside and back to 7 day breaks its hugely important at this time of year anyting other than 7 days and you will struggle. We had under 6 days plus travelled for the Swans....We had no chance. We have to try and run the Eagles off their feet and play on at all costs...We can beat them they are in the same boat as we were last week the transition from Sunday twilight to Saturday arvo interstate is hugely underestimated.

Dry Rot
27-07-2011, 01:44 AM
But we have no chance this year. 6 points off with in juries aplenty and Hawks, West Coast, Freo and Essendon to come.

Yep, but funny how so many don't realise this.

Remi Moses
27-07-2011, 03:37 AM
I can see us winning possibly only 2 more games. The season's shot, better just let players have operations and shelf them.

The Adelaide Connection
28-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Unfortunatly you dont get a choice!

The Bulldogs are not good enough for a finals berth this year. Simple as that.

That's not the question I posed.

It was more a theoretical question on the back of a lot of posters saying they would actually 'prefer' not to make the finals because we probably wouldn't progress past the first round.