PDA

View Full Version : Round #21 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
13-08-2011, 09:23 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this evenings game against the Essendon Bombers.

Rance Fan
13-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Slap - Murphy downback
Slap - Doll and Barry up forward

Sledge - Midfield just not effective often enough. Offensive and defensively
Sledge - Jones and Roughie step up..its your time now and going forward!

LostDoggy
13-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Sledge: Higgins. WTF

SlimPickens
13-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Sledge: the inability for 18 players to defend as a unit, geez it's frustrating watching 3-4 players slacken off on their team mates. Oh and who the *!*!*!*! was on Stanton.

Slap: Dahl- what a great little player we have here

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Slaps: Hall and Dahlhaus up forward
Sledges: Roughead and Jones who are still a long way off it.
Wood undisciplined and put in a shocker.

BulldogBelle
14-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Sledge to Wood for poor discipline but also to Davey for asking for it and the umps for giving him a goal just for being pushed plus all the other soft decisions

Slap to Dal for goal of the year and Baz for his 6

Greystache
14-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Slaps

Dahlhaus- a little gem we've picked up there.

Hall- Scary we're not going to have him next year.

Sledges

The inability of 18 players to apply consistent pressure.

Knowing no one will be held accountable outside of a fringe young player or two.

Mantis
14-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Knowing no one will be held accountable outside of a fringe young player or two.

Who should be held accountable?

Which fringe players will be held accountable by your reckoning?

G-Mo77
14-08-2011, 12:45 AM

I think injuries will hold a few in there.

Slap - Barry Hall. I think I've said this every week since the announcement. Please don't go.

Slap - As most have said Dahlhaus!

Sledge - Essendon fans. What a pack of dilusional arrogant flogs they are. Instead of investing in a new stadium buy each and every one of their idiot supporters a rule book.

Sledge - Alwyn Davey. What a disgrace. What an absolute disgrace to AFL football.

Greystache
14-08-2011, 12:52 AM

It'll be the usuals, Schofield, Stack, maybe Howard.

Should be Higgins, Cross, Hudson, Libba, Gia, but it won't be. 150 points, most of them scored by waltzing off half back through the middle, or from stopages where no one will be accountable to their direct opponent, yet no significant changes to the set up will be made.

Mantis
14-08-2011, 12:55 AM

Stack was good, Schoey didn't do much from limited opportunities, Howard was poor.

Should be Higgins, Cross, Hudson, Libba, Gia, but it won't be. 150 points, most of them scored by waltzing off half back through the middle, or from stopages where no one will be accountable to their direct opponent, yet no significant changes to the set up will be made.

Bit late now, any changes should have been made a while back.

AndrewP6
14-08-2011, 12:59 AM
SLAPS

Hall -21 goals in four weeks. Champion.
Dahlhaus - little bloke just keeps on keeping on. Great to watch him tearing around.

SLEDGES

Wood for undisciplined play. Davey for a Logie-award winning dive. Must be mentored by Monfries.

Greystache
14-08-2011, 01:07 AM
Stack was good, Schoey didn't do much from limited opportunities, Howard was poor.

If changes are to be made it'll always be the poorest of the fringe, lucky for DJ he was quite good.

Bit late now, any changes should have been made a while back.

2 years would have been good. So what are we to do, just keep allowing players to play how they choose and just hope it'll all somehow change over the summer, or do we start putting players on notice now that our season's shot?

SlimPickens
14-08-2011, 01:17 AM
2 years would have been good. So what are we to do, just keep allowing players to play how they choose and just hope it'll all somehow change over the summer, or do we start putting players on notice now that our season's shot?

Attitude reflects leadership...Luke Dahlhaus for captain;)

Sedat
14-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Sledge to Shaggy in the 2nd qtr for his foolish, dangerous, ill-conceived and poorly executed centreing kick across half forward which was picked off by the Bombers, who proceeded to go coast to coast and make us pay maximum. Shaggy's decision making in general was very poor.

Sledge also to Hall (x2) and Ward for missing sodas in the 3rd when we were 4 goals down and coming hard. Essendon had the staggers and we let them off the hook. Aside from these blemishes, both players were terrific for us.

Massive sledge to Alwyn Davey and the umpire for giving players continued incentive to dive. Hirdy had a chat to Monfries a few weeks ago and I suspect A Davey will be in line for a chat this week - short term gain at the expense of his reputation for being a cheat.

I'll give a slap to Stack and DJ for showing intent and endeavour that was at a more than acceptable AFL level - neither of them butchered the ball too much either. In fact, DJ was remarkably sure with his ball handling compared to what I've seen from him this season so far.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Slap - Dahlhaus - This kid can seriously play and has become just about the sole shining light of our season.

Sledge - I can't be bothered with an essay. Our players are good enough talent wise (most of them at least, and in my humble opinion), and it's incredibly frustrating we've put in such poor performances over the course of the year.

the banker
14-08-2011, 08:08 AM
SLAP Dahlhaus what a great find congratulations to him for imposing himself on the game.
SLAP B. Hall class finish. Memories will be strong of his contribution to our Club.
SLAP DJ for a confident effort. He looke dconfortable out there.

SLEDGE My confusion. Are we talented but disorganised and weak mentally? Or, without Lake and Cooney, are we now just a group of average AFL players who can get a run on when our confidence lifts?

SLEDGE Coaching staff and leadership group for inablity to get us up and going for the start of
games.

SonofScray
14-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Agree with this. I'm not seeing a real willingness from anyone inside the Club make a hard call or make an example out of anyone. In general, I think we've now built a culture where reputations are set in stone well before they are deserved. Good and bad. We give some blokes far too many credits in the bank, and write others off far too quickly.

Anyway,

SLAP:

DJ - was involved to an extent where you couldn't mock his selection. Thats progress I suppose.

Dalhaus - a slap for what he does and how he does it. Plays footy very purposefully which is rare in our current team.

SLEDGE:
Jones - not a nasty sledge, but he shouldn't be getting out marked like he was late in the game. Looked lost.

Griffen and assorted goal "dribblers" - pt the ball through the sticks in the air FFS. Why you would give it a limp arsed dribbling effort with players between you and the goal I just will never understand. The underground kick is gaining popularity in other areas of the ground as well, which is a real worry.

bornadog
14-08-2011, 10:19 PM

I thought Howard played well and showed something along with Dahlhaus even when they had a run through the midfield. Yes Howard made some errors but overall his best game for the club so far.

Ozza
15-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Slap - Daulhaus, just makes things happen when he has the ball.

Sledge - Higgins - how many times can you be smothered or kick a grubber in one night?
Sledge - Howard - regularly bludging when Essendon had the ball - might not have the fitness I guess.
Sledge - Stack - for 2 shocking efforts where he took short steps and gave up marks due to avoid body contact.
Sledge - Any danger we could lock down Stanton who kills us every time? Picken at half back/back pocket I'm not really a fan of - get him back in the middle tagging a ball winner.
Sledge - Roughy - just doesn't get involved, needs to seriously up the aggression.
Sledge - Gia and Picko had shockers but have had good years.

Mantis
15-08-2011, 10:01 AM
I thought Howard played well and showed something along with Dahlhaus even when they had a run through the midfield. Yes Howard made some errors but overall his best game for the club so far.

You're an easy marker.

1eyedog
15-08-2011, 10:16 AM

How many touches BD? I barely remember seeing him.

LongWait
15-08-2011, 10:30 AM
You're an easy marker.

Howard has played less than a handfull of games FFS!

Sometimes I'm amazed at the unrealistic expectations of players at the very start of their careers. Howard will be a very good AFL player and was far from disgraced on Saturday. He was probably in the bottom third of players in terms of output, but was ok when ranked against what we could realistically expect from him that game.

Mantis
15-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Howard has played less than a handfull of games FFS!

Sometimes I'm amazed at the unrealistic expectations of players at the very start of their careers. Howard will be a very good AFL player and was far from disgraced on Saturday. He was probably in the bottom third of players in terms of output, but was ok when ranked against what we could realistically expect from him that game.

Why, because I disagreed that Howard 'played well' the other night?

Even you have backed up my thoughts with your final sentence.

Maddog37
15-08-2011, 11:42 AM
How many touches BD? I barely remember seeing him.

18 possessions at 81% with a good goal. Far from our worst. Also ran past a few older players at times in pursuit of the ball.

The Pie Man
15-08-2011, 12:19 PM
18 possessions at 81% with a good goal. Far from our worst. Also ran past a few older players at times in pursuit of the ball.

Numbers above read well for a kid with under 10 games to his name (and I remember a nice goal)

I wasn't paying much attention to matchups Saturday (best mate's an Ess fan, we had a fair day) but wasn't Howard on Stanton for a while? Stanton had it 37 times. Ouch

I wouldn't drop him though, especially in the context of the rest of the season.

Ovatheboarder
15-08-2011, 12:23 PM

I watched Howard closely and saw him run hard to cover defensively far more often than others. Admittedly Stanton outran him early on. Also put himself in some great spots to receive offensively and if honoured could have had 3 goals overall.
Easy for some to pot the younger guys

1eyedog
15-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Numbers above read well for a kid with under 10 games to his name (and I remember a nice goal)
I wasn't paying much attention to matchups Saturday (best mate's an Ess fan, we had a fair day) but wasn't Howard on Stanton for a while? Stanton had it 37 times. Ouch

I wouldn't drop him though, especially in the context of the rest of the season.

Indeed.

Howard is never going to be suited as a run with type.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Certainly sounds like a decent output and from what I saw of the game I thought the guy has what it takes. Plays like he has a football brain, good skills and above average decision making (for his experience) getting better each week.

I saw his game as a solid pass on the weekend, exactly what we need to be seeing from a guy playing a handful of games.

They cant all be Dollhouse's. I also liked the way Stack and DJ played, I have been harsh on those guys previously.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Slap: Hall and Haus are obvious ones, but I want to give a slap to Griff. The guy is nearly dead on his feet week after week, runs his guts out, and the one time I saw him stop running it was because he had just run up and down the field repeatedly as we lost the ball, won it back, then turned it back over -- his face said it all, I'm surprised he doesn't puke more often. However, his horrendous set-goalkicking has reached monumental proportions: is there a mental problem there, or is he just bloody knackered?

Slap: Kamikaze forward pressure. I know this eventually resulted in repeated turnover goals from the Bombers, but our entire forward and centreline throwing themselves repeatedly at the ball for two and a half quarters (from the 2nd quarter to halfway through the 4th) when it was in the Essendon forwardline was inspiring in a stupid, kamikaze kind of way. We were never going to be able to sustain it for 4 quarters, and the moment we cracked they were going to score easily kicking the ball over the top and going coast to coast, but it was fun while it lasted.

Sledge: Coach's box -- Stanton got the ball nearly 40 times, yet we left a rookie on him. How about getting one of our senior midfield millionaires/turnover merchants to sacrifice their game to shut down a dominant opposition player?

Sledge: I feel like I'm shooting Bambi, but Hargrave is really labouring out there. Looks well off the pace of the game, and as a result his rushed disposal is resulting in costly turnovers and mistakes, or just aimless floaters. Must be more injured than we know.

Sledge: Umpires -- 4 Bombers goals came directly from weak umpiring decisions, and there was a clear throw in their forward 50 that was missed. That's a 5 goal turnaround, and considering that most of those decisions (or non-decisions) happened at crucial times in the game, they really had an effect on the momentum of the game, if not the final result itself. The nonsensical rule interpretations (especially around the holding the ball rule) and ridiculously influential decisions are making the game harder and harder to watch.

bornadog
15-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Sledge: Coach's box -- Stanton got the ball nearly 40 times, yet we left a rookie on him. How about getting one of our senior midfield millionaires/turnover merchants to sacrifice their game to shut down a dominant opposition player?

Great learning for him.

Sledge: I feel like I'm shooting Bambi, but Hargrave is really labouring out there. Looks well off the pace of the game, and as a result his rushed disposal is resulting in costly turnovers and mistakes, or just aimless floaters. Must be more injured than we know.

Injured his back in the warm up. The way Eade mentioned it (see press conference) sounded like Hargrave didn't say anything about it. - not good

Sledge: Umpires -- 4 Bombers goals came directly from weak umpiring decisions, and there was a clear throw in their forward 50 that was missed. That's a 5 goal turnaround, and considering that most of those decisions (or non-decisions) happened at crucial times in the game, they really had an effect on the momentum of the game, if not the final result itself. The nonsensical rule interpretations (especially around the holding the ball rule) and ridiculously influential decisions are making the game harder and harder to watch.

The ridiculous two 50's was a joke, both resulting in goals. The first one the Essendon player played on. The second one, the beard should have received the free for over the shoulder, yet the Essendon player received it. The beard complained and bang 50.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Sledge - Alwyn Davey. What a disgrace. What an absolute disgrace to AFL football.

This -- he's the biggest front-running non-entity in the game. Totally disappears when the going gets tough, but is always on hand to pop up unmarked to kick the easy goal and grab the glory, especially in junk time. Amazingly cocky for an incredibly one-dimensional contributor.. fancies himself a poor man's Cyril Rioli, but more like a poor man's Liam Jurrah.

If AFL had an 'offside' rule this guy's career would be over tomorrow.

SlimPickens
15-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Great learning for him.

Injured his back in the warm up. The way Eade mentioned it (see press conference) sounded like Hargrave didn't say anything about it. - not good

The ridiculous two 50's was a joke, both resulting in goals. The first one the Essendon player played on. The second one, the beard should have received the free for over the shoulder, yet the Essendon player received it. The beard complained and bang 50.

I believe he said WHAT in an aggressive tone, what did you expect? :p

bornadog
15-08-2011, 04:53 PM
This -- he's the biggest front-running non-entity in the game. Totally disappears when the going gets tough, but is always on hand to pop up unmarked to kick the easy goal and grab the glory, especially in junk time. Amazingly cocky for an incredibly one-dimensional contributor.

If AFL had an 'offside' rule this guy's career would be over tomorrow.

He should be reported for acting. Anyone would have though Hall punched him in the face the way he went down holding his head.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 05:01 PM
He should be reported for acting. Anyone would have though Hall punched him in the face the way he went down holding his head.

The AFL is an organisation that has said that they would 'ban anyone found tanking for life' but steadfastly refuses to believe anyone does it despite everyone knowing that it happens (and a coach openly admitting to it). It's also a game where if you elbow a Bulldog in the head behind play you're given a slap on the wrist. Breaking a fundamental gambling rule gets you four measly weeks off, three-strike players strut around kicking bags of 8, there's one third-party payment rule for one player and another for the rest of the comp, the draw is manipulated in favour of the richest clubs.. yet one of the fairest players in the history of the game can also have his Brownlow stripped by an unprecedented and still unrepeated unilateral suspension from an administrator, something that the AFL would never think of doing to your bigger clubs.

All this and we think that they'll do anything about 'acting' by an Essendon player, despite clear rules on their books to deal with it?

The AFL talk a lot of shit, but will never do anything to upset their big clubs. They take us all for mugs, and as long as we keep fronting up and giving them money, they take it as a sign that they have nothing to be sorry for.