PDA

View Full Version : Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him

Bulldog Revolution
16-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Eade calls on Dogs to sack or back him
Caroline Wilson
August 16, 2011

RODNEY EADE has asked the Western Bulldogs to bring forward a decision on his future as the out-of-contract coach entertains the prospect of offers from other clubs.

Eade's manager Phil Mullen contacted Bulldogs chiefs late last week asking them to hasten their decision to back or sack its coach of seven years.

With both Melbourne and Adelaide looking for a new coach, D-Day has come early for Eade and his club with the 53-year-old understood to have fielded some interest from the Crows. He has taken the relatively under-resourced Bulldogs to three consecutive preliminary finals.

Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him, no decision has been made on the coach who yesterday presented to Bulldogs' board members and executive team as part of the club's two-day planning meeting at a Red Hill convention centre.

Eade and his football department are understood to be providing the club with a detailed analysis of the Bulldogs' list. While yesterday's presentation was not an official meeting with the coaching sub-committee, Eade is believed to have made it clear he sees himself as best-equipped to continue to develop the club's emerging young stars.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eade-calls-on-dogs-to-sack-or-back-him-20110815-1iut4.html#ixzz1V8gjlgSP

Maddog37
16-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Would love to be a fly on the wall and see what Rocket said about our list.

Mantis
16-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Another article along the same lines:

Western Bulldogs closer to call Rodney Eade's future (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-closer-to-decision-on-rodney-eade/story-e6frf9jf-1226115514615)

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 10:18 AM
'Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him....'

How can she say this? Based on what? More information would be useful.

bornadog
16-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Another article along the same lines:

Western Bulldogs closer to call Rodney Eade's future (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-closer-to-decision-on-rodney-eade/story-e6frf9jf-1226115514615)

I think a pertinent part of the article and what the club maybe looking at is this:

"The process is more of a window into Eade's plan to develop the playing list than a formal job interview."

Obviously over the past few years we were aiming for a premiership and probably didn't develop enough of the youth we should have. The club now wants to see what are Eade's plans to develop the young guys, and ease out the older group.

At the end of the article this was interesting:

"Teammate Adam Cooney on the weekend told Triple M that Ward was still "confused" about the decision facing him.

He is considered 50-50 to stay, despite the outside perception he is almost gone to GWS."

westdog54
16-08-2011, 10:46 AM
'Although the odds of Eade winning another contract at Whitten Oval seem to be against him....'

Based on idle speculation and gossip.

I.E. Your typical Caro sources.

Throughandthrough
16-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I hope he stays.

EASILY be the most successful coach in my life time (and i am old)

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Based on idle speculation and gossip.

I.E. Your typical Caro sources.

Beat me to it westdog.

I hope he stays.

Likewise. I'm too young to really remember Malthouse. I only remember him walking out on us.

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I hope he stays.

Amen to that.

Likewise. I'm too young to really remember Malthouse. I only remember him walking out on us.

A few of us have been waiting a little longer

Ozza
16-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Back him.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I will be mightily unhappy if Eade is let go. And I'm already pretty disgruntled about lots of other footy issues at the moment.

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Back him.
Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Hard to do though. Port did with Williams and a few months into the new season it cost them a fortune to move him on.

The fans won't cop another poor season unless the club lowers the expectation bar. Is he the right man to rebuild the list again and how many years will it take are the biggest questions that need to be answered.

Geelong did with Thompson and Collingwood did with Malthouse.

Bulldog Revolution
16-08-2011, 02:48 PM

I agree, we don't want to make the Williams mistake

If we re-contract Eade then we have to support him by adding a new list manager and at least one new senior assistant, probably two.

It is possible for us to change and improve all whilst keeping Eade. Clearly Eade does a lot of things well as a coach but IMO we need to add some strong assistants around him and Eade needs to allow them to help reshape and reinvigorate the playing list.

If we just re-contract Eade and think it will turn around then I don't think it is going to happen.

I can cop us having to develop a new team, as it is obvious watching us that we need to improve.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-08-2011, 04:16 PM

Could history be repeating itself. Wheeler revitalised the Club after Malthouse left and Wallace did much the same after Rhode/ Joyce. Maybe we are witnessing a similar cycle with Rocket. The 64 dollar question remains on a suitable replacement if there is to be one.
Scott Burns is highly regarded and appeals in the Clarkson, Ratten mould, coming from a successful proven background. I would also favor the return of Chris Bond from the West as Football Operations Manager to inject new life into the football department. Bond was highly regarded by our senior players, prior to his move to Fremantle. This in turn should help our recruiting area which has been struggling to produce the goods in recent times.

Mantis
16-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Scott Burns is highly regarded and appeals in the Clarkson, Ratten mould, coming from a successful proven background. I would also favor the return of Chris Bond from the West as Football Operations Manager to inject new life into the football department. Bond was highly regarded by our senior players, prior to his move to Fremantle. This in turn should help our recruiting area which has been struggling to produce the goods in recent times.

Our recruiting in recent times looks ok.

Our recruiting from about 2003 to 2007 was shitful and we are paying the price now.

BTW I do agree that Bond would be a welcome addition to our footy dept., but he left for a very handsome contract so hopefully we can persuade him to come back.

Ozza
16-08-2011, 04:27 PM

If somebody can tell me of somebody who is realistically a better option to rebuild the playing list/develop the current crop - then thats fine. People can say 'we need to sack Eade' as much as they want - but unless there is a better alternative - its fairly pointless.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of depth in the market for coaches at the moment (from an outsiders perspective) so unless the powers that be - have a suitable candidate in mind - I'd hope that they would get behind Rocket pretty swiftly.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Comparing Eade with Williams is like comparing Whitten with Cam Wight. Port won a Premiership despite him.

ledge
16-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I would like to see Eade stay but in the event he doesnt, Dean Laidley would be my choice.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2011, 06:02 PM
It's a difficult call to judge from the outside. I would be disappointed if Eade left, primarily because we know he is a very good coach. He (clearly) needs a much stronger support base around him - which means a radical clean out of assistants and co. I'm not convinced we'll go down this path.

NBP makes an interesting point and it's one we can't know for certain. Perhaps we do need to be reinvigorated.

Interesting times ahead. There's plenty of risks either way - as mentioned above with the Williams situation etc.

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Geelong did with Thompson and Collingwood did with Malthouse.

We can exchange hits and misses with coaching appointments all we like but the similarity I'm suggesting is that much like Port we don't have the funds to make the wrong decision.

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 06:37 PM
If somebody can tell me of somebody who is realistically a better option to rebuild the playing list/develop the current crop - then thats fine. People can say 'we need to sack Eade' as much as they want - but unless there is a better alternative - its fairly pointless.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of depth in the market for coaches at the moment (from an outsiders perspective) so unless the powers that be - have a suitable candidate in mind - I'd hope that they would get behind Rocket pretty swiftly.

Nobody has said that Eade should be sacked, lets not add emotion to the discussion, and I don't for one minute suggest that Eade isn't a great candidate but we can't escape the fact that with the state of our playing list and our performance on the field doesn't bode well for a quick fix.

Right at this moment I'm not convinced Eade can get us back to a top 4 side within the next 2 years. That isn't me knocking Eade's coaching credentials, because they are impressive, it's more around a realization that we have made a number of errors with list management over the last 4 years and we might not now have the list to go further.

I want him to stay on but unless it part of a comprehensive change within the football department it's hard to rubber stamp another 2 year deal for him.

FrediKanoute
16-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I would like to see Eade stay but in the event he doesnt, Dean Laidley would be my choice.

Pleeeeeasse NO! ONe of the worst coaches in recent history. Completely unable to coach his team to wins. Gritty yes, hard yes. Tactical no. He is a one one trick pony and a good assistant or Dir of Football but not a coach. If we are concerned about Eade the Laidley would be a backwards step!

Ozza
16-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Nobody has said that Eade should be sacked, lets not add emotion to the discussion, and I don't for one minute suggest that Eade isn't a great candidate but we can't escape the fact that with the state of our playing list and our performance on the field doesn't bode well for a quick fix.

Right at this moment I'm not convinced Eade can get us back to a top 4 side within the next 2 years. That isn't me knocking Eade's coaching credentials, because they are impressive, it's more around a realization that we have made a number of errors with list management over the last 4 years and we might not now have the list to go further.

I want him to stay on but unless it part of a comprehensive change within the football department it's hard to rubber stamp another 2 year deal for him.

I wasn't directing the "sack Eade" comment at yourself. More so, it was directed at your comment about the fans not copping another poor season.

Unfortunately Bulldogs fans will have to be patient - as its likely we will have a poor year in terms of Win/Loss ratio. That wouldn't disappoint me. What would disappoint me is if we didn't show some adequete signs of development - and an approach/game plan set in place aimed at being a genuine contender 3,4 or 5 years down the road.

I suspect Bulldogs supporters (like yourself) will be patient, and Bulldogs barrackers will not be.

anfo27
Interesting call by rocket considering I remember him saying at the start of the year that if we didn't make the 8 he knows he won't be there next year so deep down he knows he is gone and wants to sort himself out for next year.
I am one who hasn't been impressed with rocket and his team over the last 18 months but other than the pie in the sky scenario's of Malthouse & Roos I'm not sure who would be a better fit.
If he gets appointed is 2 years long enough to turn this list around? I don't think so but if Smorgo gives Eade another contract I can't see it being more than 2 years.
The longer it goes on the more it looks like Eade won't be there and Smorgans comments seem to me he is looking for an alternative.

anfo27
Pleeeeeasse NO! ONe of the worst coaches in recent history. Completely unable to coach his team to wins. Gritty yes, hard yes. Tactical no. He is a one one trick pony and a good assistant or Dir of Football but not a coach. If we are concerned about Eade the Laidley would be a backwards step!

did take an ordinary North Melbourne to a prelim final.

Ozza
16-08-2011, 07:11 PM

I'm not suggesting we get Laidley - and have no idea how to compare him to Eade - but I don't agree with your assessment of his coaching.

A good mate of mine played about 100 games under Laidley and rated him extremely highly from a tactical, and motivation perspective.

AndrewP6
16-08-2011, 07:32 PM

It's Caro. You're assuming she actually HAS more information ;)

Bulldog Revolution
16-08-2011, 09:21 PM

This is the fundamental

Eade has done a good job, but our footy department needs more than just Eade, and the powers that be need to recognise it and have a comprehensive plan to rectify it

Maddog37
16-08-2011, 09:29 PM
My question on Rocket is whether he is able to cut deep enough.

Mantis
16-08-2011, 09:47 PM

It could well depend on what type of re-build we look to implement.

Go_Dogs
16-08-2011, 09:55 PM
It could well depend on what type of re-build we look to implement.

Does the review panel make that decision too?

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I wasn't directing the "sack Eade" comment at yourself. More so, it was directed at your comment about the fans not copping another poor season.

Unfortunately Bulldogs fans will have to be patient - as its likely we will have a poor year in terms of Win/Loss ratio. That wouldn't disappoint me. What would disappoint me is if we didn't show some adequete signs of development - and an approach/game plan set in place aimed at being a genuine contender 3,4 or 5 years down the road.

I suspect Bulldogs supporters (like yourself) will be patient, and Bulldogs barrackers will not be.

And the problem with this is that 12 months back the fans were told a GF was the expectation and 12 months later that they need to be patient. I can't see the majority of fans simply excepting that.
The questions that need to be answered by this review are along the lines of
Why has this occurred?
What can be put in place to get us back into top 4 mix?
Is Eade the right person to chart the course again?

I obviously haven't heard Eades view on things but if it is a 3, 4 or 5 year commitment to become a genuine contender again I don't think it can be sold to the Bulldog faithful and that makes the re-appointment of Eade that much harder.

Mantis
16-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Does the review panel make that decision too?

I would think that the review panel and coach should be in agreeance on the best way forward.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2011, 10:36 PM
And the problem with this is that 12 months back the fans were told a GF was the expectation and 12 months later that they need to be patient. I can't see the majority of fans simply excepting that.
The questions that need to be answered by this review are along the lines of
Why has this occurred?
What can be put in place to get us back into top 4 mix?
Is Eade the right person to chart the course again?

I obviously haven't heard Eades view on things but if it is a 3, 4 or 5 year commitment to become a genuine contender again I don't think it can be sold to the Bulldog faithful and that makes the re-appointment of Eade that much harder.

Doesn't that all depend who the alternative is?
Change is not always necessarily for the better.
Anyway, the reasons we are where we at, IMO are not Rocket's fault and I hope he kicks on.
Then again, if we get a new coach, all the more interesting!

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 10:37 PM
This is the fundamental

Eade has done a good job, but our footy department needs more than just Eade, and the powers that be need to recognise it and have a comprehensive plan to rectify it

We must add to the recruiting team, appoint a list manager and identify a strong 2IC as an assistant coach at the very least.

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Doesn't that all depend who the alternative is?
Change is not always necessarily for the better.
Anyway, the reasons we are where we at, IMO are not Rocket's fault and I hope he kicks on.
Then again, if we get a new coach, all the more interesting!

Not at all. That was the error Port made.
They through they wanted a GF coach but had a sub standard list and the two just didn't gel. They are still paying for that miscalculation.

Regarding the 'not Rockets fault' assessment, then how did we get where we are at?
Injuries? - Sure there is some merit in that but the Hawks lost a key forward and had no ruckman for a period of time but have remained a genuine contender.

comrade
16-08-2011, 11:07 PM
We must add to the recruiting team, appoint a list manager and identify a strong 2IC as an assistant coach at the very least.

It's hard to disagree with any of those suggestions. Are you confident our brains trust are capable of filling these roles with the right people?

Ghost Dog
16-08-2011, 11:11 PM

This is a valid point.

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 11:17 PM
It's hard to disagree with any of those suggestions. Are you confident our brains trust are capable of filling these roles with the right people?

The problem is (and I hate to say it) I don't think we have the right people of make the decision.
- Smorgon is the man who set the who GF expectation which was a problem for us in the early part of the year.
- Fantasia hasn't completed trades or contracts correctly over the last 2 years and is still to appoint a list manager. If he can't appoint a list manager why would anyone think he he can add value in a coaching appointment?
No problems with Garlick or Pappas but we needed someone else who understands what the coaching caper is all about and where it is heading.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Not at all. That was the error Port made.
They through they wanted a GF coach but had a sub standard list and the two just didn't gel. They are still paying for that miscalculation.

Regarding the 'not Rockets fault' assessment, then how did we get where we are at?
Injuries? - Sure there is some merit in that but the Hawks lost a key forward and had no ruckman for a period of time but have remained a genuine contender.

Ok, I see your points

But...So Primus is not to blame in any way? At least Port had some semblance of Morale under Choco.

And regards us,

I don't think hawthorn are a fair example as it's your backline that's the hardest staffing arena. Try Essendon without Fletch for example. You can find ball getters and string together a forward line as Carlton did, post Fev, but backlines win premierships.

We have had Lake, Morris Cooney, Williams, Hargrave out. I mean these are critical outs especially down back.

In addition, our starts have been very slow, only to come back to within a few goals ( Eagles / Essendon.
What's going on there? Leadership group issue? Price of too much youth at once?
Rocket has made errors, but his hand has not been kind this season.

That's all besides the point now. If a younger coach comes along with a new vision, so be it. At the end of the day, players relate better to younger coaches.
But I still give Rocket the benefit of the doubt in respect to this season and won't be disappointed if he gets another year. or, roll the dice, get in someone new.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Didn't Smorgan say something to the effect of Eade's contract will depend on if he makes a GF or not at the start of the year?

AndrewP6
16-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Didn't Smorgan say something to the effect of Eade's contract will depend on if he makes a GF or not at the start of the year?

He said "We have to play in a grand final and obviously we'd love to win a grand final. We have no excuses." The media jumped all over it (Eade coming out of contract of course), and he then backpedalled, saying it was not necessarily linked to Eade's re-appointment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/no-final-countdown-on-rodney-eade/story-e6frf9jf-1226020161896

GVGjr
16-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok, I see your points

But...So Primus is not to blame in any way? At least Port had some semblance of Morale under Choco.

The club is to blame for Primus. If they made the right call and let Williams go when the form of the side suggested it would be a good thing rather than having to axe Williams half way through the following season it's highly doubtful that Primus would have won the job. He did and OK job as the interim coach and after the big payout to Choco they had no funds to chase a more experienced guy.

And regards us, do we put the blame for our current situation 100% with Rocket?

Of course not but he has made a lot of wrong decisions with maintaining players longer than he should have and some questionable rookie promotions.
I keep saying he needs more support but most just want him to be reappointed regardless.
That will not necessarily work as it's a far bigger decision.

I don't think hawthorn are a fair example as it's your backline that's the hardest staffing arena. Try Essendon without Inspector Gadget

We have had Lake, Morris Cooney, Williams, Hargrave out. I mean these are critical outs especially down back.

Surely you are not adding Morris to the argument?

Regardless of injuries, the Hawks managed them all better because of their structures and recruiting.

IMO, We can make allowances for injuries but not excuses.

That's all besides the point now. If a younger coach comes along with a new vision, so be it. But I still give Rocket the benefit of the doubt in respect to this season and won't be disappointed if he gets another year. or, roll the dice, get in someone new.

If they can't give him more support then we need to go in with a fresh approach.

comrade
17-08-2011, 12:04 AM
The problem is (and I hate to say it) I don't think we have the right people of make the decision.
- Smorgon is the man who set the who GF expectation which was a problem for us in the early part of the year.
- Fantasia hasn't completed trades or contracts correctly over the last 2 years and is still to appoint a list manager. If he can't appoint a list manager why would anyone think he he can add value in a coaching appointment?
No problems with Garlick or Pappas but we needed someone else who understands what the coaching caper is all about and where it is heading.

I also think we're in a bit of trouble.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 12:27 AM

We haven't appointed a list manager due to not having funds to pay for one. Garlick has indicated that a list manager has been budgeted for next year.

Mantis
17-08-2011, 09:17 AM
We haven't appointed a list manager due to not having funds to pay for one. Garlick has indicated that a list manager has been budgeted for next year.

Are you sure that is correct?

If it is no wonder we are in the position we are in.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Agreed. We needed to make this appointment some time ago as this seems (and has for a while) to be a year we're going to have to make some very big/important decisions.

Desipura
17-08-2011, 09:28 AM
What are the responsibilities of a list manager? Player Contracts? What else?

bornadog
17-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Reported in an article recently. Of course could be inaccurate, but sounds like us.

Mantis
17-08-2011, 10:10 AM
What are the responsibilities of a list manager? Player Contracts? What else?

The job title sums it up nicely.

Everything to do with looking after the list, so player contracts & working with recruiting staff to ensure gaps are filled, etc..

Desipura
17-08-2011, 12:11 PM
The job title sums it up nicely.

Everything to do with looking after the list, so player contracts & working with recruiting staff to ensure gaps are filled, etc..

Is it any wonder Mulligan was elevated along with Hooper. DJ getting a 3 year contract. You and I could have managed that list better.