PDA

View Full Version : Daisy staying at pies

Grantysghost
24-08-2011, 09:26 AM
GWS and the Suns seem to be mining the bottom clubs for talent, as the bigger teams get stronger and stronger by retaining their A graders. Brisbane seem to be the worst hit losing Brennan, Rischitelli and in all likelihood Mitch Clark. We will lose Harbrow and Ward the latter a huge blow.
Reading this article how the Pies are keeping Daisy now and earlier Pendlebury is reaffirming my thoughts that the divide is getting bigger.....Surely we dont want an EPL scenario 4-6 teams are in the running out of 20.
What do the mighty woofers think?

Daisy Staying at Pies (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/pies-and-dale-thomas-agree-on-two-year-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1226120819087)

Remi Moses
24-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Good loyalty considering he was offered double to go!
Just emphasizes that money ISN'T EVERYTHING to some people.
He'll be still well renumerated, and is obviously happy in his current evironmemt.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2011, 10:28 AM
No-one seriously thinks he re-signed for half of what GWS were offering do they?

Collingwood will be paying him massively through some third party deal.

I love how what is probably one of the best sides in modern times can re-sign their three most expensive players the same year GWS massively inflates salaries. Not possible.

There is salary cap cheating here on an enormous scale and I guarantee the AFL won't find it because:

a) they don't want to and
b) they aren't clever enough to even if they did want to.

Remi Moses
24-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Gee I thought I was Cynical.
:rolleyes:

Doc26
24-08-2011, 10:39 AM
No-one seriously thinks he re-signed for half of what GWS were offering do they?

I love how what is probably one of the best sides in modern times can re-sign their three most expensive players the same year GWS massively inflates salaries. Not possible.

There is salary cap cheating here on an enormous scale and I guarantee the AFL won't find it because:

Not only have Collingwood managed to keep hold of all their required players since the Suns and GWS impost they've managed to bolster their list by offloading Fraser and in return picking up a priority pick.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2011, 11:08 AM
The AFL is heading towards an EPL situation without a doubt

The key difference between the EPL and the AFL is that the EPL NEED super strong clubs to compete and win in Europe...and drive the merchandise sales and TV rights - every European soccer comps (German, Italian, Spanish etc) have a handful of power clubs and 'the rest' - but the difference is that these clubs are more 1 club per city type clubs

The way we are heading Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, West Coast and Fremantle will be playing in front of home crowds of 40+ every week, and beating the pants of the rest of the competition and feeling pretty good about themselves.

Problem the AFL will have is when the rest of the supporters drop off (ala Port Adeliade's 14k crowd this week, North at times last season getting way under 20k to matches) and switch to watch soccer, and their kids switch to playing soccer.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2011, 11:11 AM

The only reason the NRL caught the Storm cheating was that they wanted to bring them down...not much grassroots Rugby League south of the Murray so no point having a super strong team here.

The AFL couldnt give a crap about Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton or West Coast cheating.

When those clubs win, the AFL wins.

The Footscray Footbal Club and our supporters are still here even after 1 flag in 86 years of being in the VFL/AFL - the attitude the AFL would have is that we will still continue to be here with our supporters possibly in another 50 + years without a flag.

The VFL/AFL have been allowing these clubs to cheat for years - thats why they have grown to become powerful clubs, and will continue to grow at the expense of others.

Mantis
24-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Of course they can.

If they can have an investigation that finds Heath Shaw having a $10 1st goalkicker bet they can do anything... well at least that's what AA tells us. :rolleyes:

Grantysghost
24-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Dawes hasn't signed yet - be interesting to see how that develops...

Doc26
24-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Dawes hasn't signed yet - be interesting to see how that develops...

Why ?

When in the past 10+ years have Collingwood lost any player they desired to keep on their list.

He's as much a certainty to stay with Collingwood as we are to contnue to be short shifted by the AFL in its shenanigans, afterall we are to the AFL what wilderbeests are to nature shows.

Grantysghost
24-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Why ?

When in the past 10+ years have Collingwood lost any player they desired to keep on their list.

He's as much a certainty to stay with Collingwood as we are to contnue to be short shifted by the AFL in its shenanigans, afterall we are to the AFL what wilderbeests are to nature shows.

Well they (the afl) do give us a shiteload of cash - so we dont get totally short shifted, but i get the sentiment. Might have thought Dawes would be signed up by now, they cant possibly keep everyone can they!

Doc26
24-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Well they (the afl) do give us a shiteload of cash - so we dont get totally short shifted

But the receipt of cash through so called AFL 'equalisation', an oxy moron if I've ever heard one, is akin to how monetary 'aid' is now generally regarded in achieving sustainable development in third world countries (yes that's us).

In itself it is simply not sustaining and at its worst is a damaging practice to bring about long term change. The practice of AFL cash handouts by itself is totally short sighted yet expected by this capitalist regime.

Might have thought Dawes would be signed up by now, they cant possibly keep everyone can they!

Yes, and they will, well at least those they want.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Well they (the afl) do give us a shiteload of cash - so we dont get totally short shifted, but i get the sentiment. Might have thought Dawes would be signed up by now, they cant possibly keep everyone can they!

Collingwood will keep everyone - they will loose a mid before they loose a quality big forward like Dawes who is as rare as hens teeth

When was the last time that Collingwood lost a player that they didnt want to keep?

Shaw to Sydney?

G-Mo77
24-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Why ?

Nick Davis is the only one I can think off. Ask Collingwood supporters about him now, they're still livid about i.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Well they (the afl) do give us a shiteload of cash - so we dont get totally short shifted, but i get the sentiment. !

I would not call $1.75 million a shitload of cash. That money is compensation for stuffing up the deal at Docklands Stadium as well as short changing us with the FIXture.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Why ?

When in the past 10+ years have Collingwood lost any player they desired to keep on the list

Nick Davis

Doc26
24-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Collingwood will keep everyone - they will loose a mid before they loose a quality big forward like Dawes who is as rare as hens teeth

When was the last time that Collingwood lost a player that they didnt want to keep?

Shaw to Sydney?

Can recall Rhyce being on the nose at Collingwood after the drink driving caper with his brother. Not sure the Collingwood hierarchy lost much sleep with his departure at the time. He became the collateral damage.

Nick Davis is the only one I can think off. Ask Collingwood supporters about him now, they're still livid about i.

Fair call on Davis although can't recall the lure of money being a factor. Wasn't he homesick ?

Topdog
24-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah Ryhce was shipped off so they could keep Heath and Didak.

Desipura
24-08-2011, 05:58 PM
The pies lost Davis, though they preferred to keep him, he was a loose canon so they were not devestated.
The pies have not lost many over the last 20 years or so.

Sockeye Salmon
24-08-2011, 06:32 PM
They lost Ron Todd to Williamstown in 1940

Go_Dogs
24-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Interesting that he signed up for 2 years, which means the second GWS year is also ruled out. I would have thought a player like Thomas would've been better to sign a one year deal, and then try to get a bigger deal this time next year.

Perhaps it is lined up for when he'll reach the FA limit?

KT31
26-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Gee I thought I was Cynical.
:rolleyes:

Obviously never met SS.;)