PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward jumps Bulldogs ship to join GWS

Pages : 1 [2]

Rocco Jones
02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
an extra $500k per year for four, I would take that.

It's not as simple as that.

Anyone living in the the real word knows the difference between $50k and $100k is bigger than $450k and $950k lifestyle wise. Fair enough that you would take that and run, just that I find it insulting that everyone automatically assumes everyone would. I can't keep track of people who say it, as if you wouldn't take the money and run. Most people do think that but I guess most people also can't stand their jobs.

$50K = below average and $100k = just starting to be a high income earner
$450k = very, very rich and $950 = very, very, very, very rich

We are a battered wife of a footy club though so thank you so very much for tolerating us for this long Callan!

SonofScray
02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
It's not as simple as that.

Anyone living in the the real word knows the difference between $50k and $100k is bigger than $450k and $950k lifestyle wise. Fair enough that you would take that and run, just that I find it insulting that everyone automatically assumes everyone would. I can't keep track of people who say it, as if you wouldn't take the money and run. Most people do think that but I guess most people also can't stand their jobs.

$50K = below average and $100k = just starting to be a high income earner
$450k = very, very rich and $950 = very, very, very, very rich

We are a battered wife of a footy club though so thank you so very much for tolerating us for this long Callan!

That is how I read it as well. Got to say, I am a bit personally offended by that line as well. I choose to work in a role that that draws considerably less than what I could command in private practice or even in the public sector. I do it because I get some joy out of it, but also because I feel it is the right thing to be doing by the community I work in. Not asking to be given pats on the back for it, but really people who suggest "how couldn't you take the money!?!?" I feel are essentially implying I am an idiot for making that choice.

Might just me being a bit sensitive but I must say I am taken aback by how many of our own fans are just accepting that no one would ever make the choice to stay at the Club over money.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I could understand it if we offered $150K and GWS offered $300K - that would make a significant difference to his lifestyle.

What difference will it make to his day-to-day standard of living jumping from $450K to $800K? He'll pay his house off 3 years earlier, perhaps. Maybe he's concerned he'll be stuck driving a Mercedes CLS500 rather than the CL600?

Good analogy SS.

Peopl are saying 'would you leave for $500k more per year'. It is so relative to what you're earning.

I would switch over for $500k extra but that would take me from an average income earner to a very, very, very rich man. For Callan it's very, very, very rich vs very, very, very, very, very rich.

Swoop
03-09-2011, 01:10 AM
If Ward suffered a career ending injury within his next contract there are no further offers so in the context of things and taking into account the risks associated with his profession I think 450k and 900k is a significant salary sacrifice.

Callan Ward's industry is extremely competitive and cut throat, the moment he reaches a certain age or performance decline he will no longer be able to command the same salary. The final factor that people don't truly appreciate is that this is a unique set of circumstances where many stars have aligned to receive this contract and he happens to be in the right place at the right time. We're not talking about a rival club offering him 600k, we're talking about a new franchise with an open cheque book.

You forget that you have the ability to do your job for as long as you like and have the option of chasing dollars later in life if your circumstances or mindset changes. I understand people's decisions for remaining loyal and I admire those who accept significantly less than they could earn elsewhere but at the same time I do not begrudge anyone for taking up the offer or think any less of them, it is their right to look after their own well being and financial security first and foremost. I know I'm in the minority but sometimes we forget that we're talking about a 21 year old boy who with one decision has the ability to guarantee his financial future.

Good luck to him.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2011, 01:19 AM
If Ward suffered a career ending injury within his next contract there are no further offers so in the context of things and taking into account the risks associated with his profession I think 450k and 900k is a significant salary sacrifice.

Callan Ward's industry is extremely competitive and cut throat, the moment he reaches a certain age or performance decline he will no longer be able to command the same salary. The final factor that people don't truly appreciate is that this is a unique set of circumstances where many stars have aligned to receive this contract and he happens to be in the right place at the right time. We're not talking about a rival club offering him 600k, we're talking about a new franchise with an open cheque book.

You forget that you have the ability to do your job for as long as you like and have the option of chasing dollars later in life if your circumstances or mindset changes. I understand people's decisions for remaining loyal and I admire those who accept significantly less than they could earn elsewhere but at the same time I do not begrudge anyone for taking up the offer or think any less of them, it is their right to look after their own well being and financial security first and foremost. I know I'm in the minority but sometimes we forget that we're talking about a 21 year old boy who with one decision has the ability to guarantee his financial future.

Good luck to him.

Are you so sure that he will be better off up there? It's not what you make that counts, it's a complicated set of factors that contribute to 'wealth'. Remains to be seen if he is actually 'better off' in this deal.

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
I know I'm in the minority but sometimes we forget that we're talking about a 21 year old boy who with one decision has the ability to guarantee his financial future.

One thing about all this that irks me is people seemingly justifying this by referring to him as a 'kid' or the like. Give me a break, he's no kid. 21 yrs old is no 'boy'. He's a grown (young) man. A money-obsessed one, so it seems.

That's not a dig at you, by the way.

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Good analogy SS.

Peopl are saying 'would you leave for $500k more per year'. It is so relative to what you're earning.

I would switch over for $500k extra but that would take me from an average income earner to a very, very, very rich man. For Callan it's very, very, very rich vs very, very, very, very, very rich.

Well put.

Swoop
03-09-2011, 01:55 AM
Are you so sure that he will be better off up there? It's not what you make that counts, it's a complicated set of factors that contribute to 'wealth'. Remains to be seen if he is actually 'better off' in this deal.
I actually don't care for his decision either way, the club is bigger than the individual and we'll move on as will he. In terms of his own football development he would probably be better suited to stay with us but the mere point I'm trying to make is that I don't begrudge the decision and I'm not prepared to slag Ward off based on a decision he made that most unbiased people would say is an even money bet.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2011, 06:43 AM
I actually don't care for his decision either way, the club is bigger than the individual and we'll move on as will he. In terms of his own football development he would probably be better suited to stay with us but the mere point I'm trying to make is that I don't begrudge the decision and I'm not prepared to slag Ward off based on a decision he made that most unbiased people would say is an even money bet.

How are ya swoop. By the way, your avatar is one of my favs on woof. Ahh bryl cream ^_^

Don't care about his choice?
Hell I do. Ward earmarked to be the future captain of our club. A local boy. A fantastic player. I care.
It's fine to say " the club is bigger than the individual" but that's really just passing it off as a minor event. In the long term, yes, it will be. However, for now, people are ticked off about it. Which is good. If nobody cared, that would be odd.

I'm not slagging off Ward. I think most posters don't wish to assassinate his character, and somebody said " Oh come on, GWS, it's not the hitler youth" which was really really funny. Idon't begrudge him in the sense of wanting to find a better opportunity.

It is however very frustrating in the sense of, as stated above, I don't think he will be better off in the long run. Many others seem to agree ( Luke Darcy wrote an excellent article on loyalty in theAGE yesterday ), Daisy Thomas, Ryan Griffen, Selwood and others.

Grantysghost
03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
You forget that you have the ability to do your job for as long as you like and have the option of chasing dollars later in life if your circumstances or mindset changes. I understand people's decisions for remaining loyal and I admire those who accept significantly less than they could earn elsewhere but at the same time I do not begrudge anyone for taking up the offer or think any less of the. I know I'm in the minority but sometimes we forget that we're talking about a 21 year old boy who with one decision has the ability to guarantee his financial future.

Good luck to him.

So Callan loses the ability to earn money when he stops playing professional sport? These guys are setup well post footy these days... Look at Scott Lucas, wasn't even considered to be Bombers captain but now runs Pheonix management (flying start). I agree with you to a point, but potentially he could have a long career post footy also.

LostDoggy
03-09-2011, 08:23 AM
So Callan loses the ability to earn money when he stops playing professional sport? These guys are setup well post footy these days... Look at Scott Lucas, wasn't even considered to be Bombers captain but now runs Pheonix management (flying start). I agree with you to a point, but potentially he could have a long career post footy also.

Two big words to contemplate? unfortunately post career is not written into a playing contract otherwise his decision might be a little easier. Not every person that plays AFL will get a job in the media or some successful organization, a lot have to fend for themselves. I'm sure if he is switched on enough he can make the most out of whatever he makes, where ever he makes it. But that is a big gamble for a 21yo, thinking things will just happen.

Big choice for the lad? Do I become a Grant or a Brown?

gohardorgohome
03-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Wards situation is the AFL version of a tradie going to work remotely in the mining industry. You will be working in an in hospitable environment to ensure your financial future.

You have to remember that he was DRAFTED to play at the bulldogs. We choose to support the club.

We look like getting two first round draft picks as compensation.

I don't like whole idea however we all need to get on with it whatever way it goes. The extra money should make like a lot easier for Ward especially after his footy career . Footy does not last forever and you need to get whatever you can out of it. It's very difficult for AFL player to study or obtain a trade whilst they are in the system.

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I just feel shit about the whole damn thing

W W Biscuit
03-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Wards situation is the AFL version of a tradie going to work remotely in the mining industry. You will be working in an in hospitable environment to ensure your financial future.

You have to remember that he was DRAFTED to play at the bulldogs. We choose to support the club.

We look like getting two first round draft picks as compensation.

I don't like whole idea however we all need to get on with it whatever way it goes. The extra money should make like a lot easier for Ward especially after his footy career . Footy does not last forever and you need to get whatever you can out of it. It's very difficult for AFL player to study or obtain a trade whilst they are in the system.

Actually, the AFLPA Player Development Program works in partnership with the Elite Athlete Friendly University Program, which is designed to make it as easy as possible for players to undertake tertiary education during their AFL careers. Also, and this is a HUGE also, AFL players are able to access subsidies that will cover the entire cost of whichever university or TAFE course they choose. Free education.

Like so many others, I am still paying off my HECS ten years down the track. Like so many others, I also juggled full-time study and part-time work. Like so many others, I lived not that far above the breadline for the few years that it took to get my qualification. I do not buy the argument that AFL players need to be mercenaries simply because they have a small window within which to build a career. Every player in the system is able to take advantage of an absolutely outstanding opportunity to retrain. Kudos to the AFLPA - their clients receive rockstar treatment relative to most industries. For God's sake, I work in a field where you have to buy your own stationary and pay for tea and coffee!

Callan Ward has a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be filthy rich by average standards. That IS what it IS. If he elected not to go, I'm sure that his financial future and ongoing potential to be a part of the labour force would not be compromised.

ledge
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Actually, the AFLPA Player Development Program works in partnership with the Elite Athlete Friendly University Program, which is designed to make it as easy as possible for players to undertake tertiary education during their AFL careers. Also, and this is a HUGE also, AFL players are able to access subsidies that will cover the entire cost of whichever university or TAFE course they choose. Free education.

Like so many others, I am still paying off my HECS ten years down the track. Like so many others, I also juggled full-time study and part-time work. Like so many others, I lived not that far above the breadline for the few years that it took to get my qualification. I do not buy the argument that AFL players need to be mercenaries simply because they have a small window within which to build a career. Every player in the system is able to take advantage of an absolutely outstanding opportunity to retrain. Kudos to the AFLPA - their clients receive rockstar treatment relative to most industries. For God's sake, I work in a field where you have to buy your own stationary and pay for tea and coffee!

Callan Ward has a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be filthy rich by average standards. That IS what it IS. If he elected not to go, I'm sure that his financial future and ongoing potential to be a part of the labour force would not be compromised.

It doesnt mean he is taking them up though, he might be looking at earning as much as possible investing and living off the profit.

Swoop
03-09-2011, 11:46 AM
It doesnt mean he is taking them up though, he might be looking at earning as much as possible investing and living off the profit.
From my understanding 'Cement Head' is hardly the sharpest tool in the shed so that may be a realistic thought process.

azabob
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
On BF apparently we have offered Ward a five year deal. Anyone else hear this?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
On BF apparently we have offered Ward a five year deal. Anyone else hear this?
Yeah Fantasia spoke on SEN today.
I'm not getting my hopes up. I think it's more a case of a club trying to say to it's fan's that they've done everything possible to keep him and perhaps try to shut down supporters questioning our efforts to retain him.

I would much rather the club not say anymore until he makes an announcement on his future, rather than perhaps raising fans hopes, quite possibly unnecessarily

azabob
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah Fantasia spoke on SEN today.
I'm not getting my hopes up. I think it's more a case of a club trying to say to it's fan's that they've done everything possible to keep him and perhaps try to shut down supporters questioning our efforts to retain him.

I would much rather the club not say anymore until he makes an announcement on his future, rather than perhaps raising fans hopes, quite possibly unnecessarily

Thanks. Agree with what you have said.

Hotdog60
03-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Also said they tried to get him to sign up at the start of the season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Also said they tried to get him to sign up at the start of the season.

As they should've. I would hope they also tried to sign him up last year.

azabob
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Mark Stevens tweeting that Ward accepted offer last week and also told some senior team mates.

bornadog
03-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I for one am not happy that the club would try and sign Ward for 5 years. He is not that good, at the best he is a B+ and will never be an A grader.

ledge
03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Mark Stevens tweeting that Ward accepted offer last week and also told some senior team mates.

Ours or GWS?

azabob
03-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Ours or GWS?

Sorry- GWS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM

If true, then Fantasia's comment today really rile me. They make it sound as if there is hope, when they know very well there is none, if what Mark Stevens tweets is true.
Potentially his comments get fan's hopes up, all to try and spin a story about how even at the death we are still trying to sway him to stay. For what benefit? To perhaps quell any potential supporter agitation that we didn't do enough to keep him?

craigsahibee
03-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Can't believe the amount of booing directed at Callan today. Those responsible are pathetic. Please don't bother buying a membership next year.

Max469
03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Can't believe the amount of booing directed at Callan today. Those responsible are pathetic. Please don't bother buying a membership next year.

It was a disgrace.

I was ashamed to be a Doggies supporter.

We don't need supporters like this.

KT31
04-09-2011, 12:12 AM
If true, then Fantasia's comment today really rile me. They make it sound as if there is hope, when they know very well there is none, if what Mark Stevens tweets is true.
Potentially his comments get fan's hopes up, all to try and spin a story about how even at the death we are still trying to sway him to stay. For what benefit? To perhaps quell any potential supporter agitation that we didn't do enough to keep him?

He has no idea and is a major case of trying to be a a Jack of all trades and Master of none.
It is about time ego's were put aside and the future of the club was decided !

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 12:20 AM
It was a disgrace.

We don't need players that don't want to be there, either. I didn't boo, but totally understood it.

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 12:22 AM

If true, makes his playing today even more disgusting. If you've already said yes to another side, bugger off and try their uniform on for size. You don't want to be a Dog, don't be. Not even once more.

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 12:25 AM

This has been covered elsewhere, but Ward was hardly on a pittance here. How many houses and cars does one person need to own?

SonofScray
04-09-2011, 12:39 AM
It was a disgrace.

We need all we can get, but beyond that, why was it a disgrace?

KT31
04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
We need all we can get, but beyond that, why was it a disgrace?

If he stay's (and this could be egg on face tomorrow) the bases of Booing and slagging have all been because of reporters and conjecture.

SonofScray
04-09-2011, 12:52 AM
If he stay's (and this could be egg on face tomorrow) the bases of Booing and slagging have all been because of reporters and conjecture.

That is true, I agree. I have made the assumption he is gone, am certain that he is but will eat some humble pie and hand back his hero status in an instant if he does in fact stay. Would get a free pass for life. But we know that is very unlikely.

Is it less a disgrace if he does leave, that he was jeered? I do not understand why it is a disgrace. To me it is supporters expressing themselves as a result of something that has impacted their Club. Must have missed these unwritten rules about what is OK and not for Footscray fans.

KT31
04-09-2011, 01:00 AM
That is true, I agree. I have made the assumption he is gone, am certain that he is but will eat some humble pie and hand back his hero status in an instant if he does in fact stay. Would get a free pass for life. But we know that is very unlikely.

Is it less a disgrace if he does leave, that he was jeered? I do not understand why it is a disgrace. To me it is supporters expressing themselves as a result of something that has impacted their Club. Must have missed these unwritten rules about what is OK and not for Footscray fans.

What if the decission is not made and it is the turning point ?
I like you think it was done months ago and( but had a mate tied to the Dogs saying he hadn't signed and was having second thoughts).
I disagree with jeering and booing, if you don't pay them attention the will just shut up.

NoseBleed
04-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I didn't boo, but I sat on my hands when he did his few things yesterday. I wasn't about to cheer or get excited about someone who shows every sign he will be leaving us.

Other players aren't signed, but none has a huge public offer in front of them, and has given nothing but the usual crap about "I'll decide later".

Callan was a great pickup, and we (the supporters) loved him, and paid dearly to do so.

It looks like he's going to leave a culture and a community for a job.
A really well paid job. No more, no less.

He's given those who booed no reason to think they shouldn't. Our culture and community are worth more to us than money.

Those who decide to whore themselves out more money than they deserve every bit of the disdain they receive.

Callan's a good player, and a future leader, but only at a club with a solid culture.

A club of boys and whores will be a great place to earn money, but not one to grow into a man at.

C.

chef
04-09-2011, 07:22 AM

And we still played him.

What a gutless decision.

Dancin' Douggy
04-09-2011, 09:04 AM

I would never boo a bulldog player, but have gladly booed players from other teams.
GWS players included

LostDoggy
04-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Or was he simply asked a question about what the club has done to try and retain Callan?

Prince Imperial
04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
And we still played him.

What a gutless decision.

If this was known by Fantasia and Williams he should not have been picked and either Djerkurra or Howard who will be with us in future seasons and are part of our future should have played for theirs and ours development.

I did not cheer or boo or Ward but I will certainly boo him when I next see him playing live. I don't begrudge him taking the offer but he should have been more honest with us and stopped playing for us when we fell out of finals contention. It would have cost him some match payments but this is a pittance to the huge windfall he is about to receive.

BulldogBelle
04-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Melbourne didnt play Scully against Port did they today?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-wants-to-know-tom-scullys-intentions-for-2012/story-e6frf9jf-1226129272607

Injury?

Ward played with an injured shoulder, from carrying all those bags of $$$s

GetDimmaBack
04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
http://www.news.com.au/home-is-exactly-where-callan-wards-heart-lies/story-e6frf9jf-1226076768377

Would it be worth the club reading this back to Callan?

w3design
04-09-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.news.com.au/home-is-exactly-where-callan-wards-heart-lies/story-e6frf9jf-1226076768377

I really would like to know what went wrong from this point.

azabob
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM

one word in the headline was at least right- "lies" being that word.

Ghost Dog
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Remember the Gablett Jnr Article "My mate Thommo" in the Hun, midway through last season?
About his love for the club and love for the coach.

Believe nothing a footballer says until they sign on the dotted line.

Maddog37
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Time to let it go nearly isn't it?

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 03:46 AM
Probably right Maddog. The blatant spin and cliched tripe from Ward looks extremely shallow.
Just hope we don't get rolled on this.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 08:17 AM
And we still played him.

What a gutless decision.

Have to agree, if the club knew (like most of us did) that Ward had told his mates that he was going and we still played him - worse decision ever. IMO, he didn't look interested on the park at all. I wasn't very happy about supporters booing him either - I'm as p ***ed off at the whole situation as everyone is, but I wouldn't boo him in a doggies jumper. He really just shouldn't have played :mad:

Grantysghost
05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Have to agree, if the club knew (like most of us did) that Ward had told his mates that he was going and we still played him - worse decision ever. IMO, he didn't look interested on the park at all. I wasn't very happy about supporters booing him either - I'm as p ***ed off at the whole situation as everyone is, but I wouldn't boo him in a doggies jumper. He really just shouldn't have played :mad:

Agree. I've never felt so conflicted at a game of footy. I was watching his body language closely and he certainly looked like he had something huge on his mind. I went into the game pretty angry at the situation but found myself clapping and cheering "Go Cal!" every time he got it. Then when the siren rang the anger returned :mad:

MrMahatma
05-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Maybe he said "Look, this money is too good to refuse. I'll make sure you get everything possible in return for me leaving, then after I've done my 4 years I'll nominate the Dogs as the only place I'll play and force their hand."

chef
05-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Maybe he said "Look, this money is too good to refuse. I'll make sure you get everything possible in return for me leaving, then after I've done my 4 years I'll nominate the Dogs as the only place I'll play and force their hand."

I'm sure that in 4 years time if he wants to return to Melbourne he will be offered bigger contracts at one of the bigger Melbourne clubs and something about a Leopard and his spots springs to mind.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Club has just announced that Ward has told them he is heading to GWS...story on Bulldogs facebook page

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 11:02 AM

And if anything, being a one-club player sets you up better, because your brand is better -- look at Tom Harley, Chris Grant, Luke Darcy et al.. they are all pretty well set up for life after footy.

Short term mercenaries don't really have the same currency post-footy because you're tainted (and I don't mean players who change clubs at the end of their careers to prolong it by a year or two).

I mean, you think "Lou Richards" and you think "Collingwood". You think Nathan Brown and you think "he's only in it for the money", which is code for "he's a shallow bastard".

bulldogsthru&thru
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Club has just announced that Ward has told them he is heading to GWS...story on Bulldogs facebook page

what a douche...waits till the monday after season ends and leaves. He can get stuffed. What a lost opportunity to develop Mitch Wallis for an entire season. We better get some decent compo but i wont hold my breath

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Tom Harley also played at Port

angelopetraglia
05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
We all knew it was coming, but to read the official statement still makes me fill ill.

A massive stake in the heart. I just can't see the likes of Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton losing the best young talent to other clubs.

I just hope this isn't the begining of a new era (with free agency) that sees us unable to keep our best talent like in previous generations (Quinlan, Round, Dempsey, Edmond, Templeton etc.). The best players of our most recent generation all stayed loyal (West, Grant, Johnson, Smith, Darcy, Wynd, Libba etc.).

I just feel history is about to repeat itself. Sad, very sad day for our club.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Ok, now that it is confirmed I am not happy. Very disappointed with Callans decision. :(

And I'm also pissed off that we have now lost 2 players in 2 years to these new clubs. :mad:

Dancin' Douggy
05-09-2011, 11:13 AM
I am disgusted in the clubs decision to play him on Saturday. Disgusted.

w3design
05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I guess the best theory now is to employ a Peter Rhode type coach for a year, so that we finish towards the bottom, so that we can use the Ward compensation picks next year between Picks 1 - 10.....

Mofra
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm sure that in 4 years time if he wants to return to Melbourne he will be offered bigger contracts at one of the bigger Melbourne clubs and something about a Leopard and his spots springs to mind.
Yeah, because it was an easy decision for him to leave in the first place :rolleyes:

chef
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah, because it was an easy decision for him to leave in the first place :rolleyes:

Like he's the first player to be offered overs to go to a start up club, oh wait so did Higgins, Cooney and Griffen:rolleyes:

Ward did choose the easy decision IMO.

Pedro Sanchez
05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Ward leaving is gutting... Really thought he would have stayed.

However, I don’t think any of us can really appreciate the circumstances of the decision – sure we can speculate and have an opinion but earning approx 800K a season is absolutely mega bucks for young guy – even an old guy. Who knows the context, for example his family might have done it tough their whole lives and he sees this as chance to turn that around. I’m certain is wasn’t an easy decision for him...

As a professional sport its often a fine line between an offer like this and a situation like Shane Birss found himself. To play devil’s advocate, clubs always play the loyalty and one team player card, however its pretty ruthless and abrupt on the other foot if its decided a player isn’t wanted.

Anyway the call has been made now – so I look forward to who we’ll draft and a new coach.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I just hope this isn't the begining of a new era (with free agency) that sees us unable to keep our best talent like in previous generations (Quinlan, Round, Dempsey, Edmond, Templeton etc.). The best players of our most recent generation all stayed loyal (West, Grant, Johnson, Smith, Darcy, Wynd, Libba etc.).

I just feel history is about to repeat itself. Sad, very sad day for our club.

There's a salary cap.

We pay 100% of it each year.

Our facilities are excellent.

It's not the 1970s anymore.

Swoop
05-09-2011, 01:00 PM
There is a significant gap in the amount of money poured into football departments between the top and bottom clubs, although the salary cap remains the same, the amount of money that is able to be spent on the development of each player isn't and it's those things players consider when choosing clubs of their choice.

Port Adelaide who have a senior assistant coach that is based interstate and use a current player in Dean Brogran as their part-time ruck coach is an example of the gap between the poorest and richest clubs.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
There's a salary cap.

How about third party deals? I'm sick of being on the rough end of these deals it's time we bear our teeth

The Coon Dog
05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
How about third party deals? I'm sick of being on the rough end of these deals it's time we bear our teeth

Surely Dimattina's Restaurant can hire an ambassador to spruik the virtues of Italian cuisine!

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I think the 'no one could turn down the money' argument is an insult to the men who actually have.

Guys like Kreuzer, Selwood, Thomas, Pendlebury, Goddard, and Port's Trengrove. And there would be more out there that we don't know about as Scully, Ward, and Palmer would hardly have topped the midfield wish list at Rooty Hill at the start of the year.

These are men who have been offered more than what Cal has accepted and who weren't born and bred in the region that their clubs represent.

These are men who did put loyalty and friendship ahead of pure financial gain.

Let's not forget that people like that are still out there.

Let's not forget that Callan Ward is not one of them.

We offered Ward 2.4 million dollars to stay with his friends, family and club for the next five years.

With wise investment and the reduced tax rate that professional sportsman pay, he'd be worth something in the region of 1.8 million dollars when he came out of that contract; and he'd only be 26.

Doesn't seem like too bad of a deal, does it?

You can see why quality young men have been turning down West Sydney's offer.

But, clearly, it wasn't enough for Ward. He isn't a quality young man at all. He's just a greedy, disloyal, piece of shit.

Would I begrudge a man earning $100,000 from leaving his job for an extra $500,000? No. Of course not.

Do I begrudge a kid earning over $450,000 from leaving his club for an extra $400,000? Absolutely.

The club did everything it could to keep him but it was never going to be enough.

We've spent a fortune developing a midfielder for somebody else. Even this year, we've been wasting valuable game time on filth when we've got a host of talented youngsters in need of senior experience.

I don't wish him well at all.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Like he's the first player to be offered overs to go to a start up club, oh wait so did Higgins, Cooney and Griffen:rolleyes:

Ward did choose the easy decision IMO.
The difference in contract amounts in each case was nowhere near as great, and Ward seems to have made a gentlemen's agreement with GWS to ensure we receive extra compensation so again the compensation at a club level is greater for us.

You actually think Ward's decision was easy, and didn't come after months of deliberation?

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
There is a significant gap in the amount of money poured into football departments between the top and bottom clubs, although the salary cap remains the same, the amount of money that is able to be spent on the development of each player isn't and it's those things players consider when choosing clubs of their choice.

You don't honestly think that Ward left for a larger football department spend, do you Swoop?

A player might leave a ghetto to play in a palace, but that's no longer the case at the Whitten Oval. Incidentally, when we did play out of a ghetto, some of our favourite sons chose to remain at the club.

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 01:52 PM
The difference in contract amounts in each case was nowhere near as great, and Ward seems to have made a gentlemen's agreement with GWS to ensure we receive extra compensation so again the compensation at a club level is greater for us.

You actually think Ward's decision was easy, and didn't come after months of deliberation?

Seems to have made a gentleman's agreement.
How do you know? Pie in the sky stuff

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Just realized that he grew up a Bombers fan. That explains it all! Nuff said....

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Just realized that he grew up a Bombers fan. That explains it all! Nuff said....

Reading that article makes me a little angry about all of this now...

chef
05-09-2011, 02:06 PM

I don't think it was easy, but it was the easier of the two options IMO. Also to me Ward had made up his mind when GWS gave him the two weeks ultimatum a couple of months back.

I don't think Griffen, Higgins and other offers were that far off what Ward accepted, but they were no way near what Kruezer and Martin knocked back.

Hope you are right about the gentleman's agreement, but I won't hold my breath as I really am shattered ATM and am still expecting the worst when it comes to our compo.

cinder
05-09-2011, 03:26 PM
When do we find out what the compo is?

Mofra
05-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Seems to have made a gentleman's agreement.
How do you know? Pie in the sky stuff
I don't know - but I dare so noone here knows for sure, either. I can only go off what I've heard.

Hope you are right about the gentleman's agreement, but I won't hold my breath as I really am shattered ATM and am still expecting the worst when it comes to our compo.
Maybe I'm optimistic, but somehow I think by the end of trade week we will have done ok.

divvydan
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
When do we find out what the compo is?

Last year compensation was usually announced about 2 days after the official signing of a player, so it could well happen by the middle of the week but it all depends on the papers being filed with AFL etc so don't be impatient if it's not until the end of the week.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
There's a salary cap.

Salary cap? There's no salary cap.

I think there were figures in the paper about the ASA or whatever the AFL call the third-party arrangements.

West Coast has something like 90 third-party deals for their players.

North Melbourne has 4.

Which end of the scale do you think we're closer to?

chef
05-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I don't know - but I dare so noone here knows for sure, either. I can only go off what I've heard.

Some guy on the GWS board claiming that we are trading Reid plus a third rounder for pick 1 in the mini draft with Reid to be announced as a GWS player with Ward on Wednesday:eek:

Can't see this happening, but wow if it did.

Greystache
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
What's the mini draft?

GVGjr
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
What's the mini draft?

GWS have 4 young players listed that they can trade to other clubs.

cinder
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Last year compensation was usually announced about 2 days after the official signing of a player, so it could well happen by the middle of the week but it all depends on the papers being filed with AFL etc so don't be impatient if it's not until the end of the week.

Thanks. Not too long to wait then.

LongWait
05-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Some guy on the GWS board claiming that we are trading Reid plus a third rounder for pick 1 in the mini draft with Reid to be announced as a GWS player with Ward on Wednesday:eek:

Reid is definitely going to the GWS with Ward. Not sure about the details but Ward and Reid booked their room at the GWS acadamy many weeks ago according to a Reid family member.

Doc26
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM

They actually have a board ?

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Reid is definitely going to the GWS with Ward. Not sure about the details but Ward and Reid booked their room at the GWS acadamy many weeks ago according to a Reid family member.

Reid + third rounder, for the no.1 17 year old kid. That's a win-win for both clubs, right? Sigh -- it really is a business now.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM

Had to read your question twice -- I thought you meant Board like Smorgon etc., and thought, of course they have a Board.

I'm as surprised as you that they have an online bulletin board.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM

I couldn't sign that deal quick enough.. Sincerely doubt it's true, but would do it in a heartbeat.

LongWait
05-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Reid + third rounder, for the no.1 17 year old kid. That's a win-win for both clubs, right? Sigh -- it really is a business now.

I hope you are correct Lantern - bloody good deal for us.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 06:10 PM

Fingers firmly crossed. The deal doesn't sound as simple as Ward jumping ship - looks like ther are extras.

We could actually do very well out of this - one very good player and one fringe player could become two very good players (and the four 17 year olds are said to have talent to burn - any one of them would be an awesome deal for us).

Doc26
05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Had to read your question twice -- I thought you meant Board like Smorgon etc., and thought, of course they have a Board.

I'm as surprised as you that they have an online bulletin board.

I understand that there's 3 registered but they don't see, speak or hear anything.

chef
05-09-2011, 06:51 PM

I'd be happy with the number 4 17 year old in that draft.

SonofScray
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Very glad I got to jeer him and vent some frustration at his selection on the weekend now it is all out. Won't mean much to Callan but I hope he really understands the cost of his decision in terms of respect from the fans and his brand as a 'good kid.'

Shameful that Dogs fans were sold false hope of keeping him and were denied the opportunity to express their feelings to Ward in a public fashion, just as they have through supporting him for the time he was with us. Not that many would have taken up the offer by the sounds of it, apparently they signed up for Callan Ward Football Club memberships this season, not Footscray ones.

Maddog37
05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Makes me laugh a bit when there is so much hand wringing about Ward jumping ship(myself included), but Reid for number one 17 year old pick and it s see you later, where do we sign.

Pickenitup
05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I think Dermie summed it up best when he said the system is wrong if Callan is getting the same pay as Chris Judd.he also said he will be remembered as overpaid footballer.

w3design
05-09-2011, 08:16 PM

What a passionate lot they must be.:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
05-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Makes me laugh a bit when there is so much hand wringing about Ward jumping ship(myself included), but Reid for number one 17 year old pick and it s see you later, where do we sign.

This is a good point. But I think that after Ward, fatigue kind of hits you and you go " Ok, if you want to take our diabetic midfielder with questionable skills and dodgy shoulders, of whom we haven't seem diddly squat of since he got here, WHATEVER". Just please, leave us alone now.

w3design
05-09-2011, 08:34 PM
This is a good point. But I think that after Ward, fatigue kind of hits you and you go " Ok, if you want to take our diabetic midfielder with questionable skills and dodgy shoulders, of whom we haven't seem diddly squat of since he got here, WHATEVER". Just please, leave us alone now.
From all accounts Sam is a real quality young man who's been dealt a tough hand. It's a miracle he hasn't given up on footy entirely with his diabetes, which is a life threatening condition. With respect, can't say I like the tone of this post. I wish Sam well.

comrade
05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I think Dermie summed it up best when he said the system is wrong if Callan is getting the same pay as Chris Judd.he also said he will be remembered as overpaid footballer.

As if Ward will give a crap if that's how he's remembered. Dermie is just bitter that he played in an era when they were paid (relative) peanuts.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
From all accounts Sam is a real quality young man who's been dealt a tough hand. It's a miracle he hasn't given up on footy entirely with his diabetes, which is a life threatening condition. With respect, can't say I like the tone of this post. I wish Sam well.

Oh ...come .....on, grow a sense of humour. Nobody cheers Sam Ried harder than I do.
you have to admit though, popping both shoulders in one single game is pretty hard luck.

I remember being at one game this season, where all the old ladies were cringing and uttering noises of discomfort every time he launched himself into a pack. " careful of the shoulders...ooooo! " stuff like that.

Anyway Maddog is making a good point. with all this angst over Ward, why are people not getting up tight over Ried? Didn't see any posts of outrage from yourself Remember54??
In actual fact and footy is like this, so don't blame me, it avoids a difficult decision at the table for us, despite the fact he is a quality bloke. Our Midfield has enough kamikaze heroes with suicidal courage..... but who can't kick very straight.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
As if Ward will give a crap if that's how he's remembered. Dermie is just bitter that he played in an era when they were paid (relative) peanuts.
By way of comparison, I highly doubt Darren Gasper is bothered by being the highest paid defender of his era.

Personally, I remember him as the guy who had to take his pillow on interstate trips because he was allergic to everything.

w3design
05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Oh ...come .....on, grow a sense of humour. Nobody cheers Sam Ried harder than I do.
you have to admit though, popping both shoulders in one single game is pretty hard luck.

I remember being at one game this season, where all the old ladies were cringing and uttering noises of discomfort every time he launched himself into a pack. " careful of the shoulders...ooooo! " stuff like that.

Anyway previous poster is making a good point. with all this angst over Ward, why are people not getting up tight over Ried? Didn't see any posts of outrage from yourself Remember54??
In actual fact and footy is like this, so don't blame me, it avoids a difficult decision at the table for us, despite the fact he is a quality bloke. Our Midfield is full of heroes who would impale themselves on a goal post to win a game, but who can't kick very straight.
I'm not 'blaming' you, just saying I didn't like the tone. I did say 'with respect'. Not the greatest sledge ever on this site, was it?:confused:

I don't get why anyone would be 'outraged' about Reid going to GWS. I was presuming that he'd put his hand up for the deal, as another thread is stating that it was part of the deal that Callan asked for. Reid is a Sydney boy, you could understand he wants to return home, I'd have thought it was win/win rather than a shafting of a player.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm not 'blaming' you, just saying I didn't like the tone. I did say 'with respect'. Not the greatest sledge ever on this site, was it?:confused:

I don't get why anyone would be 'outraged' about Reid going to GWS. I was presuming that he'd put his hand up for the deal, as another thread is stating that it was part of the deal that Callan asked for. Reid is a Sydney boy, you could understand he wants to return home, I'd have thought it was win/win rather than a shafting of a player.

Win win because he won't get much of a look in with us.
Am confident we will be well compensated for the pair. The AFL likes happy endings, at least on the surface

Swoop
05-09-2011, 10:57 PM

I thought Reid was drafted from Queensland?

soupman
05-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Yes from Zillmere I believe.

But as a countering factor apparently his younger brother has signed with GWS so that kind of gives it a sentimental factor anyway.

bornadog
05-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Yep, as Rocket use to call him a Queensland Bogan:D

PS: thats not say everyone from Queensland is a Bogan

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm a bit confused by all of this.

In essence, is it rumoured that we will gain/lose the following:

LOSE:
Ward
Reid
Third Round Pick

GAIN:
First round pick (for Ward)
17 y.o GWS kid (for Reid)

Is that right? I'm not sure that's 'such' a good deal.

soupman
05-09-2011, 11:36 PM

LOSE:
Ward
Reid
Third Round Pick

GAIN:

Well apprently those 17 year olds are meant to be amazing and as such it'd be like losing Ward Reid and a third round pick for a first round pick (as stated above) and a player rated as an early first round pick. Thats sounds pretty good to me.

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2011, 11:39 PM

LOSE:
Ward
Reid
Third Round Pick

GAIN:

It's probably the most stupid rumour I've heard all year.

We will lose:
Ward
Reid

We will get:
Tier 2 compensation pick
VFL player or 3rd round pick

Any talk of one of GWS's 17yos is ridiculous.

They have 4 that they must trade or lose over two years. I understand they only intend to trade off two this year.

Every other club has the option to bid for either of these picks with GWS deciding who holds the winning bid.

Jaeger O'Meara is being touted as one of the best kids in a decade and you think every other club will give him to us for Reid?

We would have to start the bidding with Jones and then add something else.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Well apprently those 17 year olds are meant to be amazing and as such it'd be like losing Ward Reid and a third round pick for a first round pick (as stated above) and a player rated as an early first round pick. Thats sounds pretty good to me.

Did they take a batch of 17 y.o's last year?

If so, anyone got a list of their profiles (eg. what sort of player they are)?

On another note, anyone remember when Clayton said we drafted Tiller 'late' in the draft because we thought he would be a very early selection the following year? :o

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2011, 11:41 PM

We will lose:
Ward
Reid

We will get:
Tier 2 compensation pick

They have 4 that they must trade or lose over two years. I understand they only intend to trade off two this year.

Every other club has the option to bid for either of these picks with GWS deciding who holds the winning bid.

Jaeger O'Meara is being touted as one of the best kids in a decade and you think every other club will give him to us for Reid?

Sounds more realistic.

Sockeye Salmon
05-09-2011, 11:43 PM

On another note, anyone remember when Clayton said we drafted Tiller 'late' in the draft because we thought he would be a very early selection the following year? :o

He said it about Skipper, too.

Topdog
05-09-2011, 11:44 PM

We will lose:
Ward
Reid

We will get:
Tier 2 compensation pick

Dont tell me you didn't hear about the gentlemans agreement??? :eek:

Greystache
05-09-2011, 11:45 PM

I think you're thinking of Paul O'shea, we drafted him in the 70's as a bottom age player because Clayton thought he could be a top 10 pick the next year. In fairness to Scott Clayton he wouldn't have a clue what a quality young tall looks like.

bulldogsman
06-09-2011, 01:09 AM
I think you're thinking of Paul O'shea, we drafted him in the 70's as a bottom age player because Clayton thought he could be a top 10 pick the next year. In fairness to Scott Clayton he wouldn't have a clue what a quality young tall looks like.

Brian Harris?

Greystache
06-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Brian Harris?

Harris was a 20 year old we took a punt on because he had an interesting story (athsma and narcolepsy while working in a slaughter house) and Clayton felt being drafted might give him a chance in life, it was a toss of a coin between him and another generic running player. It worked out brilliantly, but it was more good fortune than good managememt.

chef
06-09-2011, 06:43 AM

No, he's from Queensland. But his younger brother is in GWS development squad taken as a NSW boy because he and his father moved to Moama(to live with his grandparents) so he could play TAC footy for the Pioneers to better his chances of getting drafted.

Sedat
06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I think you're thinking of Paul O'shea, we drafted him in the 70's as a bottom age player because Clayton thought he could be a top 10 pick the next year. In fairness to Scott Clayton he wouldn't have a clue what a quality young tall looks like.It was true of all of Skipper, Tiller and O'Shea. All were bottom age when drafted and were going to be 'top 10 selections the following season'

Maddog37
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM

We will lose:
Ward
Reid

We will get:
Tier 2 compensation pick

Come on SS at least allow us to have a little bit of hope that we might come out of this whole deal the winners!! :D

Rocket Science
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Malthouse chiming in (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-criticises-expansion-rule-20110906-1juvy.html) on the subject of compensation...

----------

The Magpie coach questioned the compensation the Bulldogs are seeking for losing Ward.

"A wishlist is all very well, but the reality is – is he worth two first round draft picks?

"I wouldn’t be as optimistic as what Footscray think they are… I think young Ward is a very good footballer, but you’re dealing with one of the greats of the game (Gary Ablett) getting two (draft picks)."

----------

Naturally we want as much compensation as we can extract, but in truth given the standard that's been set we all know he's right. Still completely blows though.

w3design
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Malthouse chiming in (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-criticises-expansion-rule-20110906-1juvy.html) on the subject of compensation...

----------

The Magpie coach questioned the compensation the Bulldogs are seeking for losing Ward.

"A wishlist is all very well, but the reality is – is he worth two first round draft picks?

"I wouldn’t be as optimistic as what Footscray think they are… I think young Ward is a very good footballer, but you’re dealing with one of the greats of the game (Gary Ablett) getting two (draft picks)."

----------

Naturally we want as much compensation as we can extract, but in truth given the standard that's been set we all know he's right. Still completely blows though.

True. But if you compare the two:
Geelong recived two for him being such a good player.
We should recive two as it has affected the set up our future. Ward leaving would disrupt our plans for the future more than Ablett leaving Geelong.

Plus, after a 96 point thumping, I would think he would have more important things to worry about than our little club...

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Every time I hear somebody tell us what we 'deserve', it makes me angrier at the game. We continue to get absolutely screwed.

Please surprise us, AFL. We surely could do with a 'break' after the last few years.

Doc26
06-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Every time I hear somebody tell us what we 'deserve', it makes me angrier at the game. We continue to get absolutely screwed.

Please surprise us, AFL. We surely could do with a 'break' after the last few years.

The other thing being missed is why must Ablett's deal for 2 compensation picks be viewed as the floor. Just maybe Ablett's deal was at the higher end of a scale for the right to pick up 2 picks. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be eligible for 2 picks for Ward, maybe he crosses the band at the lower end.

stefoid
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM

----------

----------

Assuming both Ablett and Ward now stay put, Ward will play twice as many games for GWS as Ablett will for GC. Whats that worth?

For us to be adequately compensated for Ward, we need to find another 200 game midfielder with the pick we get, who is able to start playing almost instantly.

The consideration of what we have lost - harbrow and ward both 21yos and probably 150+ gamers should be taken into combined consideration. Its a 300 game hole blown in our list right where we least want one.

stefoid
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
You know what, if we are heading mid table next year, and the AFL screws us over Ward, Im kind of hoping that we tank like arseholes towards the end of 2012, resulting in two top 5 picks, and grab Lachlan Hunter F/S with our second round pick, and Beasly F/S (who will turn out to be a quality forward in this fantasy scenario) with our 3rd rounder.

Shove it right up em.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
You know what, if we are heading mid table next year, and the AFL screws us over Ward, Im kind of hoping that we tank like arseholes towards the end of 2012, resulting in two top 5 picks, and grab Lachlan Hunter F/S with our second round pick, and Beasly F/S (who will turn out to be a quality forward in this fantasy scenario) with our 3rd rounder.

Shove it right up em.

The AFL doesnt want to do us, Melbourne or North any favours...

Why should they, comparing our attendences to the likes of the power clubs?

All we can hope for is to get some free kicks via Father / Son selections and develop our other draft picks- cause we arent going to get it after being raped by GWS

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
and Beasly F/S (who will turn out to be a quality forward in this fantasy scenario) with our 3rd rounder.

I thought Beasley's son gave up on footy?

stefoid
06-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I thought Beasley's son gave up on footy?

Its my fantasy. He changes his mind, rededicates himself to the game and becomes a gun, OK? you got a problem with that?

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
By way of comparison, I highly doubt Darren Gasper is bothered by being the highest paid defender of his era.

Personally, I remember him as the guy who had to take his pillow on interstate trips because he was allergic to everything.

You remember him for his allergies?

I remember him for the thirty whacks he received from the ugly stick.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/club/images/players/gas1.jpg

bornadog
06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Its my fantasy. He changes his mind, rededicates himself to the game and becomes a gun, OK? you got a problem with that?

Yes, it won't happen

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 04:57 PM
What a surprise!

After wrestling with the decsion for a gut wrenching 12 months he'll finally decide to take the money the week after the season finishes. What a *!*!*!*!ing joke!

Was done a long time ago.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Wish Dustin Martin played for us, really disappointed in the decision.

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 07:06 PM

----------
"I wouldn’t be as optimistic as what Footscray think they are… I think young Ward is a very good footballer, but you’re dealing with one of the greats of the game (Gary Ablett) getting two (draft picks)."[/I].

Just off topic, but Malthouse STILL calling us Footscray really annoys me. I vote our new coach insists on calling them Carringbush.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Just off topic, but Malthouse STILL calling us Footscray really annoys me. I vote our new coach insists on calling them Carringbush.

Hopefully it is that soon enough.

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 07:35 PM

Nooooo.... :eek:

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 08:23 PM

We will lose:
Ward
Reid

We will get:
Tier 2 compensation pick

You're totally right but "what if".......

Out : Ward, Reid

In : O'Meara, Dangerfield (for one of our 2 Ward picks), A Cooney-Double (for the other Ward pick)

O.... M......G what a deal :eek:

(Need some happy thoughts ATM)

SonofScray
07-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Why? It is our name.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Why? It is our name.

We've traded as "Western Bulldogs" for how long? For many, that's the only name they've ever known. Malthouse is smugly harking back to our past - a time, coincidentally, when he lleft us and buggered off to Perth.

KT31
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM

You must be joking !!
When was the last time you walked around Footscray ?
We need to be associated with a much bigger demographics and area.
If we remain Footscray we will go the way of Yarraville.

KT31
07-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Why? It is our name.

I grew up a Footscray supporter and was so relieved when we became the Western Bulldogs.

immortalmike
07-09-2011, 02:13 AM
We've traded as "Western Bulldogs" for how long? For many, that's the only name they've ever known. Malthouse is smugly harking back to our past - a time, coincidentally, when he lleft us and buggered off to Perth.

Maybe..maybe and I'm just spitballing here but maybe he calls us that because he's used to calling us Footscray and that's what comes out when he thinks about us. Haven't you ever known someone by a nickname they either changed or grew out of but when you talk to or about them you still find yourself calling them that.

You must be joking !!
We need to be associated with a much bigger demographics and area.
If we remain Footscray we will go the way of Yarraville.

Yesterday. Why? Is there a problem with Footscray?
When was the last time you walked around Footscray?

Ozza
07-09-2011, 09:32 AM

I always find it is said with a negative connotation. If someone is talking disparagingly about the club - they often refer to us as 'Footscray'. Grant Thomas loves to do it. And I bet most 'WOOFers' have a mate or two that call us 'Footscray' if they are giving us a bit of a ribbing about the club or the history of the club.

I suspect Malthouse is being quite deliberate about calling us 'Footscray' for whatever reason.

Sockeye Salmon
07-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Yes.

bornadog
07-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Why? It is our name.

Yes our organisation name not trading name;)

Dancin' Douggy
07-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I think people should be able to call the club whatever they prefer in their own conversations.
I don't think we should be called Footscray but I quite happily call the team Footscray in conversation.
I don't mind if Malthouse calls them Footscray. I think it's said with a hint of tradition and nostalgia.

I never call the docklands stadium Etihad or whatever the f#@% they have or will change it to.
Kardinia park is still Kardinia park to me as well.

Mofra
07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Saturday morning - bought some cheapies from Savers, browsed the African mall, bought a huge bowl of Pho for only $10.

The surrounding areas of Footscray are gentrified and it's only 10km fromt he CBD - it may well be an upmarket suburb within a decade.

SonofScray
07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Geez. Hating on Footscray, the home of your own Club you support and our own name. Regardless of the FNWB debate, that is pretty ordinary.

ReLoad
07-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Footscray > anywhere else on the planet for two reasons and in no particular order.

The Whitten Oval and Olympic Donuts.

Desipura
07-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Saturday morning - bought some cheapies from Savers, browsed the African mall, bought a huge bowl of Pho for only $10.

The surrounding areas of Footscray are gentrified and it's only 10km fromt he CBD - it may well be an upmarket suburb within a decade.
How long have they been saying this? 20 years?
The whole shopping precinct needs to be taken over by someone wealthy and new shops need to be opened.

SlimPickens
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
How does this discussion relate to Callan Ward going to GWS?

bornadog
07-09-2011, 12:26 PM
GWS Giants cash too good to refuse, admits Callan Ward (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-cash-too-good-to-refuse-admits-callan-ward/story-fn69a32t-1226131269670)

SlimPickens
07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
At least he has come out and said it and not repeated that tripe Connors was talking on Monday. GWS are going to be very ordinary for a number of years. I hope Cal enjoys losing 22 games next year.

Mofra
07-09-2011, 12:34 PM
GWS Giants cash too good to refuse, admits Callan Ward (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gws-giants-cash-too-good-to-refuse-admits-callan-ward/story-fn69a32t-1226131269670)
At least he's honest about it - I wonder if Phil Davis & Tom Scully will say the same thing?

w3design
07-09-2011, 12:39 PM
At least he's honest about it - I wonder if Phil Davis & Tom Scully will say the same thing?

Agreed Mof, appreciated his honesty. Especially after his manager pretty much slapped us fans in the face with his patronising comments.

ledge
07-09-2011, 12:52 PM
I had to laugh at the statement of seeing all the talent up there,how would he know he hasnt trained or seen them play yet.
And the experienced ones coming out of clubs , how would he know who they were unless they were signed before hand.
Be interesting to know who will apparently sign after each of the finals teams bow out.

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 01:26 PM
"I was completely committed to the Bulldogs all year. I'm happy with the way the AFL have put their rules in place and the way it's worked out, it's been pretty smooth, I think."

Cement head came up with these two lines all by himself I'm sure. Also, I'm sure the AFL didn't script it for him. And I just saw a couple of pigs float past my window up here on the 18th floor.

KT31
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe..maybe and I'm just spitballing here but maybe he calls us that because he's used to calling us Footscray and that's what comes out when he thinks about us. Haven't you ever known someone by a nickname they either changed or grew out of but when you talk to or about them you still find yourself calling them that.

When was the last time you walked around Footscray?

Seen as though I have not been back to Victoria for 12 months it was then.
Although my 80 year old Mum was hit an ran over by a scooter rider,in front of the Paisley St Clinic, 2 weeks ago.
Can't have changed that much.
Was a lot better place when it had the Bowling Alley, Coles cafeteria and Bunny's.;)

immortalmike
07-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Although my 80 year old Mum was hit an ran over by a scooter rider,in front of the Paisley St Clinic, 2 weeks ago.
Was a lot better place when it had the Bowling Alley, Coles cafeteria and Bunny's.;)

Yeah true bad things only happen in Footscray.:rolleyes:

Honestly there is very little wrong with the place over and above any other suburb with a large migrant population. I've seen much worse in my brief visits to Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and St Kilda.

SonofScray
07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Certainly in the Greater Western area of Sydney you would have anyway.

immortalmike
07-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes.

This is the last(ish) I will post on the subject but don't just take my word for it...so here is the word of someone that may carry a little more weight.

“There is something noble about being working class and being part of the Bulldogs. It is a known fact that the Footscray dirt we have under our fingernails makes us better people than our competitors.”
Robert Murphy

SonofScray
07-09-2011, 09:25 PM
This is the last(ish) I will post on the subject but don't just take my word for it...so here is the word of someone that may carry a little more weight.

“There is something noble about being working class and being part of the Bulldogs. It is a known fact that the Footscray dirt we have under our fingernails makes us better people than our competitors.”
Robert Murphy

Bob Murphy - a true Bulldog, Footscray through and through.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Geez. Hating on Footscray, the home of your own Club you support and our own name. Regardless of the FNWB debate, that is pretty ordinary.

I agree. Whether you want us to be calle Footscray or Western, no one sees the term 'Footscray' in a poorer light than our fans. I really think it goes beyond what our fans think about the suburb. I think it's more about our fans being embarrassed about the club's history. It's not just a suburb, the name is well and truly part of our history.

You would never see Collingwood fans doing this and outside of a few funksters, Collingwood well and truly has it's issues as a suburb.

Maybe I am being sensitive as I grew up in Footscray. I know it gets mocked but this is the last place that should happen. We wear a robot on our jumper, our 'home ground' is the most sterile of grounds shared by a bunch of teams, we allow a guy who belongs to another club play for us and we called Western and are insulted by 'Footscray'.

Sure we have a losing history but the biggest loser is one who has such little pride in themselves and are embarrassed by what they are. Sorry to sulk and rant but we feel a whole lot like Melbourne franchise # 9 to me.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Robert Murphy

Love you Bobby.

I think this needs to be my last(ish) post too. Think I am about to rival emo level of some Eade fans here if I keep on hearing about how insulting the term Footscray is on a Bulldogs forum!

Ghost Dog
07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree. Whether you want us to be calle Footscray or Western, no one sees the term 'Footscray' in a poorer light than our fans. I really think it goes beyond what our fans think about the suburb. I think it's more about our fans being embarrassed about the club's history. It's not just a suburb, the name is well and truly part of our history.

You would never see Collingwood fans doing this and outside of a few funksters, Collingwood well and truly has it's issues as a suburb.

Maybe I am being sensitive as I grew up in Footscray. I know it gets mocked but this is the last place that should happen. We wear a robot on our jumper, our 'home ground' is the most sterile of grounds shared by a bunch of teams, we allow a guy who belongs to another club play for us and we called Western and are insulted by 'Footscray'.

Sure we have a losing history but the biggest loser is one who has such little pride in themselves and are embarrassed by what they are. Sorry to sulk and rant but we feel a whole lot like Melbourne franchise # 9 to me.

I think they did a survey a while back and found people in Maribynong area had the most negative outlook in Melbourne. It was in the leader. I disagree with above entirely. All relative. With little support, financially and fan based, in an area full of migrants who are not interested, lacking facilities that other clubs enjoy, our club does pretty well when the books are balanced. But that's my take.

Like the Jordon McMahon thing , hoping history books will write that we came out way ahead in the wake of the upstart of GWS and we can turn this thing into a positive.

Rocco Jones
07-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I think they did a survey a while back and found people in Maribynong shire had the most pessimistic outlook in Melbourne. If I can, I'll find the reference. It was in the Melbourne leader.

My great hope is that like the Jordon McMahon thing , the history books will write that we came out way ahead in the wake of the upstart of GWS.

Yep.

Look, as much as I rate a club remembering it's roots and as much as I am a Footscray man, I can understand changing back isn't probably best for the club. What I can't get is our own fans being so insulted by the term 'Footscray'. It's not about the suburb, it's about your club.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Yep.

Look, as much as I rate a club remembering it's roots and as much as I am a Footscray man, I can understand changing back isn't probably best for the club. What I can't get is our own fans being so insulted by the term 'Footscray'. It's not about the suburb, it's about your club.

My comment was not a dig at "Footscray", more about my feeling that Malthouse was not exactly being warm, but rather patronising, in his use of the name. Anyway, moving right along. Go Dogs.

Ghost Dog
07-09-2011, 10:10 PM
My comment was not a dig at "Footscray", more about my feeling that Malthouse was not exactly being warm, but rather patronising, in his use of the name. Anyway, moving right along. Go Dogs.

Nah he's just an old fart!. I bet he still calls a radio a wireless.:D

Doc26
07-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Personally I'd be more than happy if the Club reverted back to Footscray. It's all I knew growing up and have no problem whatsoever with Footscray or its heritage, actually I'm very proud of it besides living most of my years in the East. With that said, if the marketers can reasonably quantify there is significant value in maintaining Western Bulldogs as our name then I can live with it. As for the Robodog, well that's a different story, it should be buried forever as its so juevenile I feel sorry for any grown man that is obliged to wear it as their work uniform.

Sedat
07-09-2011, 10:19 PM
What I can't get is our own fans being so insulted by the term 'Footscray'.
This puzzles me as well. It is an eclectic, diverse, vibrant suburb that has no more or less of the social issues that compound any other inner city suburb. If the phrase 'gateway to the west' could be dovetailed into our brand, I'd have no problem with the change back to Footscray - I think it is important to embrace the western region of Melbourne and the natural geographical advantages that this gives us, I just don't think the name 'Western Bulldogs' really does that effectively. If the name remains I'm not too fussed, but from a personal perspective I just find it to be a little generic.

1eyedog
07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
My mother in law lives in Footscray, in the old theater opposite Gilmore Girls on Barkly. She is a single late 50s woman who has never had a problem in the the suburb except when she walked past an argument a few months ago that turned into a fatal shooting.

I hear about things like that all the time in Brunswick.

I use to catch the V/line train up from Geelong everyday when I was living down there and I always got a tingle when I looked out of the window and saw Footscray station. There is just something about that name.

Doc26
07-09-2011, 10:38 PM

Andrew, not sure why you believe Mick's reference to "Footscray" was meant in a disparaging way. His own years at the Club were all under the banner of 'Footscray', it's as he would fondly know it.

Not that Mick's old, getting there as we all are, but I still hear a number of our old timers commonly refer to the Club as Footscray and their intentions would not be questioned as such, it's just how they know the Club. I often hear KB refer to the Club as Footscray, and yet it's not coming from any malice or disrespect, to the contrary, I believe it comes from a healthy respect for our Club.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Andrew, not sure why you believe Mick's reference to "Footscray" was meant in a disparaging way. His own years at the Club were all under the banner of 'Footscray', it's as he would fondly know it.

Not that Mick's old, getting there as we all are, but I still hear a number of our old timers commonly refer to the Club as Footscray and their intentions would not be questioned as such, it's just how they know the Club. I often hear KB refer to the Club as Footscray, and yet it's not coming from any malice or disrespect, to the contrary, I believe it comes from a healthy respect for our Club.

Fair enough, I'm just suspicious. :)

KT31
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Robert Murphy

My final say.
By definition, can you be noble and working class ?
Would not exactly class a professional sportsman as working class.
I would agree it is special to be working class and a Doggies man.
I also agree Footscray is not the worst place in the World.
IMO we would still reach a bigger supporter base if we remain The Western Bulldogs.
Lets get this thread back on track and agree to disagree.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Callan looks just awful in orange!! :eek:

bornadog
08-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Callan looks just awful in orange!! :eek:

Which do you prefer, GWS or GC's uniform?

I think they are both horrible. Its funny, all the teams that have joined the AFL since 1925, couldn't design a better jumper than people from 100 years ago.

w3design
08-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Which do you prefer, GWS or GC's uniform?

I think they are both horrible. Its funny, all the teams that have joined the AFL since 1925, couldn't design a better jumper than people from 100 years ago.

Suns looks far better, the all red is not that bad. Orange & Grey is terrible IMO

Ghost Dog
08-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Suns looks far better, the all red is not that bad. Orange & Grey is terrible IMO

With you Anthony. It's by far the worst AFL branding in the history of the league IMO.
But, then again, sums up the GWS pretty much. lacking in soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it.

BA in Graphic design here.

bornadog
08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
With you Anthony. It's by far the worst AFL branding in the history of the league IMO.
But, then again, sums up the GWS pretty much. lacking in soul, spirit, whatever you want to call it.

Freo and Eagles jumpers not too crash hot either.

AndrewP6
08-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Freo and Eagles jumpers not too crash hot either.

I reckon the Freo jumper is really good. Simple, understated, just works.

bornadog
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I reckon the Freo jumper is really good. Simple, understated, just works.

I wasn't talking about the current one, I meant when they first joined.

AndrewP6
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I wasn't talking about the current one, I meant when they first joined.

Ah yes, well, that was indeed a shocker!

bornadog
08-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Ah yes, well, that was indeed a shocker!

Port and Eagles original jumpers were not much better.

Happy Days
08-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Port and Eagles original jumpers were not much better.

Fair enough on the SBS logo ripoff that Port came up with, but Yellow Peril is a ripper, much better than anything that the Eagles have come up with since.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Sorry, stand corrected. Bris Bears Ver 1. designed by a first year TAFE student who had never seen a game of AFL in their life.
Close second, GWS.

I like Ports new strip and also Freo.

Rocket Science
08-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Interesting if vehement appraisal.

Speaking as someone with a background in industrial/graphic design, can I confess I'm rather partial to their guernseys and the colour scheme altogether?

The simplicity, and those colours in tandem really pop on their uniform, though the orange socks are a bit of overkill, I reckon charcoal socks would ground the whole thing more effectively and lend a little more steel and class.

Must say their website's a pleasure to view as well. Imagine when they get some content!

I find their branding refreshing, simple, unified and distinctive within the AFL landscape. It successfully suggests freshness/modernity but in a suitably pared back manner so as minimise any tendency to date quickly. Although I get why some may perceive it as somewhat clinical, and there's a hint of 'corporate report' about it too I suppose.

Alternately I find the Suns' guernseys/colours/branding exceedingly dull, cheesy and generic. Their logo/crest is comedic - all it's missing an 80's chrome-effect shading, and that wave motif on the guernsey is a rolled gold eyesore. They look like they're wearing a cross between a piece of crap surfwear and a contestant's top from some 'It's a Knockout' style television variety-cum-game show, with just a hint of major retail chain supermarket about it for good measure. Bleh.

Subjectivity's a glorious thing.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Interesting if vehement appraisal.

Speaking as someone with a background in industrial/graphic design, can I confess I'm rather partial to their guernseys and the colour scheme altogether?

The simplicity, and those colours in tandem really pop on their uniform, though the orange socks are a bit of overkill, I reckon charcoal socks would ground the whole thing more effectively and lend a little more steel and class.

Must say their website's a pleasure to view as well. Imagine when they get some content!

I find their branding refreshing, simple, unified and distinctive within the AFL landscape. It successfully suggests freshness/modernity but in a suitably pared back manner so as minimise any tendency to date quickly. Although I get why some may perceive it as somewhat clinical, and there's a hint of 'corporate report' about it too I suppose.

Alternately I find the Suns' guernseys/colours/branding exceedingly dull, cheesy and generic. Their logo/crest is comedic - all it's missing an 80's chrome-effect shading, and that wave motif on the guernsey is a rolled gold eyesore. They look like they're wearing a cross between a piece of crap surfwear and a contestant's top from some 'It's a Knockout' style television variety-cum-game show, with just a hint of major retail chain supermarket about it for good measure. Bleh.

Subjectivity's a glorious thing.

Horses for courses. A footy jumper os not a 'brand'.
It's a totem, wearing which, you may lose your kidney.
The dog is loyal, it is fierce, the blue, white , red is Australia, and so on.
How does GWS strip represent their turf, people, place? Perfectly actually. Corporate. Could be a mobile phone company. Insurance company.
Gold coast reminds me of cornetto ice cream logo.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 11:56 PM
How does GWS strip represent their turf, people, place? Perfectly actually. Corporate. Could be a mobile phone company. Insurance company.
Gold coast reminds me of cornetto ice cream logo.

This GD. It' a blank canvas for a big corporate, positioned that way on purpose.

Remi Moses
09-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Ahhh Bunny's, the only nightclub where it was compulsory to be under 18..
Bit safer than the old Totty Hotel ( paradise Club)

Desipura
09-09-2011, 07:02 AM
Ahhh Bunny's, the only nightclub where it was compulsory to be under 18..
Bit safer than the old Totty Hotel ( paradise Club)

Too true went when I was 16 yo

divvydan
13-09-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123357/default.aspx

The Bulldogs will receive second band compensation, one first-round selection, for the loss of Callan Ward, as will the Crows for Phil Davis

MELBOURNE will receive the top level of compensation, two first-round NAB AFL Draft picks, for Tom Scully's defection to GWS.

Rhys Palmer's departure from Fremantle has been deemed worthy of third band compensation, an end of first-round pick.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/123357/default.aspx

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Can we protest or appeal?

divvydan
13-09-2011, 07:03 PM
We are allowed to appeal if we wish, however, given the reasoning given by the AFL about the large gap in wages between Scully and Ward, it's probably fruitless to do so.

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Adelaide receive the same compo for Davis as we get for Ward? How the hell does that work?

One has played 60 games, the other 18, and one has bigger (reportedly) pay packet. :confused:

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 07:07 PM
This is really deflating that the AFL can let our club's progress be severely affected by losing a talented young player two years in a row.

Why didn't the successful clubs lose players.

Makes me question why we should be paying memberships loyally for years ... whist the AFL does everything to prevent us getting the ultimate success.

Maybe the AFL can stump up the loss of memeberships from our club until an even playing field is introduced.

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 07:09 PM
This was always going to happen. Such a joke.

What was Davis rumoured to be offered? Is there much a differene between Scully to Ward and Ward to Davis?

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 07:11 PM
This is really deflating that the AFL can let our club's progress be severely affected by losing a talented young player two years in a row.

Why didn't the successful clubs lose players.

Makes me question why we should be paying memberships loyally for years ... whist the AFL does everything to prevent us getting the ultimate success.

Maybe the AFL can stump up the loss of memeberships from our club until an even playing field is introduced.

North Melbourne haven't lost a player. The Saints aren't loaded and they haven't lost one either.

I don't doubt that we are at a disadvantage in comparison to the 'big clubs' but I also think it's easy and pointless to play the victim card.

It's easy to blame the AFL, GWS and traitors. We need to look at what we can actually affect and that's our side of operations. That's the hard part, maybe it isn't all just about us being screwed.

divvydan
13-09-2011, 07:12 PM
This was always going to happen. Such a joke.

What was Davis rumoured to be offered? Is there much a differene between Scully to Ward and Ward to Davis?

It appears the gap from Scully to Ward contract wise was a lot bigger than Ward to Davis.

Remi Moses
13-09-2011, 07:16 PM
So much for some of the fantasy bandied around about Ward "looking after the club"!:rolleyes: Joke system becoming a joke of a sport.

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 07:21 PM
North Melbourne haven't lost a player. The Saints aren't loaded and they haven't lost one either.

I don't doubt that we are at a disadvantage in comparison to the 'big clubs' but I also think it's easy and pointless to play the victim card.

It's easy to blame the AFL, GWS and traitors. We need to look at what we can actually affect and that's our side of operations. That's the hard part, maybe it isn't all just about us being screwed.

OK. This makes my blood boil.
The AFL starts two new franchises. Gives them an open cheque and says "go and get any uncontracted players you want".

Then when players take the money, the AFL (Read Demetriou) points his finger at the clubs that lost players and BLAMES THEM!

The players were going to come from somewhere weren't they?

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 07:35 PM
OK. This makes my blood boil.
The AFL starts two new franchises. Gives them an open cheque and says "go and get any uncontracted players you want".

Then when players take the money, the AFL (Read Demetriou) points his finger at the clubs that lost players and BLAMES THEM!

The players were going to come from somewhere weren't they?

Hey, I don't like the system either. I just think we place all the blame on the AFL and GWS our own end becomes unaccountable.

The Crows have lost 2
The Dogs have lost 2
North has lost none
Saints have lost none

Perhaps our poor finances aren't the only thing that means we are losing players. We can scream and shout about how evil the AFL and it's franchises are but that won't a change a thing. What we must focus on is what we can do. If we are not doing all we can then we are in massive trouble come free agency time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Can we protest or appeal?

The club has already said it will accept it and move on.
I believe we could've appealed it but a fat lot of good it would do.

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 07:46 PM
What a stinking cesspit.

Doc26
13-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey, I don't like the system either. I just think we place all the blame on the AFL and GWS our own end becomes unaccountable.

The Crows have lost 2
The Dogs have lost 2
North has lost none
Saints have lost none

Perhaps our poor finances aren't the only thing that means we are losing players. We can scream and shout about how evil the AFL and it's franchises are but that won't a change a thing. What we must focus on is what we can do. If we are not doing all we can then we are in massive trouble come free agency time.

First up, I profess I loathe the 'agreement' put in place to setup GCS and GWS and in general the AFL for their continued poor treatment of Club's in our position.

I accepted Harbrow's defection on family grounds. Not the first, nor the last player to seek a return on these grounds. Not to mention a big pay rise to go with it.

As for the latest Ward scenario, was there any player on North's or St Kilda's list for exanple that GWS would've offered such a step up or percentage increase to that offered to Callan. Is it possible we simply lucked out by having someone of Callan's perceived value to GWS both in age and type and particularly at a time when we would appear to be on a down curve and in need of a rebuild of sorts ?

A case could be mounted for having had Ward signed up much earlier but then maybe we tried valiantly, maybe Connors was aware of the landscape and advised his client to hold out as he did.

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 07:57 PM
First up, I profess I loathe the 'agreement' put in place to setup GCS and GWS and in general the AFL for their continued poor treatment of Club's in our position.

I accepted Harbrow's defection on family grounds. Not the first, nor the last player to seek a return on these grounds. Not to mention a big pay rise to go with it.

As for the latest Ward scenario, was there any player on North's or St Kilda's list for exanple that GWS would've offered such a step up or percentage increase to that offered to Callan. Is it possible we simply lucked out by having someone of Callan's perceived value to GWS both in age and type and particularly at a time when we would appear to be on a down curve and in need of a rebuild of sorts ?

A case could be mounted for having had Ward signed up much earlier but then maybe we tried valiantly, maybe Connors was aware of the landscape and advised his client to hold out as he did.

Andrew Swallow was offered the once in a lifetime deal that no sane person could possibly reject.

Doc26
13-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Andrew Swallow was offered the once in a lifetime deal that no sane person could possibly reject.

But how much of Andrew's decision was of the Club's doing. I mean what I know of him he's made of different stuff, full of integrity and an impressive value set. Unfortunately from what I've gleaned out of this is that Ward falls short of Andrew Swalllow in the values stakes, as would many if not most.

Club's such as ours continue to play in a different ballpark to those who best feed the AFL's financial greed. I don't wish to smack our admin. / operations in an area such as this when we've got two hands tied behind our back before we even start.

Rocco Jones
13-09-2011, 08:09 PM
But how much of Andrew's decision was of the Club's doing. I mean what I know of him he's made of different stuff, full of integrity and an impressive value set. Unfortunately from what I've gleaned out of this is that Ward falls short of Andrew Swalllow in the values stakes.

That's a point!

I wasn't going to mention this but considering he is no longer in town here goes.

I was at a pub in Willy one night and saw the pride of Blacktown out with a few Westies of the Melbourne variety. Anyways, as I'm leaving I see him again, this time sitting on the bonnet of his mate's car as was driving away. Cement head indeed!

Topdog
13-09-2011, 08:09 PM

Swallow is the one. No one at the Saints was worth getting. Lets see how they do holding onto Goddard.

And yes Swallow is supposed to be this super nice guy with a brain.

Sedat
13-09-2011, 09:36 PM
So was Dustin Martin. So was Joel Selwood. So was Matty Kreuzer. Tom Scully and Callan Ward were a fair way down the list.

It is simply too easy to blame 'the system'. At some point we as a club need to accept partial responsibility for failing to retain both players.

Dancin' Douggy
13-09-2011, 09:37 PM
That's a point!

I wasn't going to mention this but considering he is no longer in town here goes.

I was at a pub in Willy one night and saw the pride of Blacktown out with a few Westies of the Melbourne variety. Anyways, as I'm leaving I see him again, this time sitting on the bonnet of his mate's car as was driving away. Cement head indeed!

Hmmmm.

1eyedog
13-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm not unhappy with this. Ultimately I think I have reconciled myself to a place where I feel that if a player does not want to be at our club (regardless of the reason) then I don't particularly want him there.

Seriously, I'd rather never win a premiership than win it with a team full of players who didn't want to be playing for the Bulldogs (that's just me). I hope we hold on to the pick and use it wisely, my only concern with this is if a Sydney type scenario ensues where we don't drop out of the top 8 for the next 5 years.

Would the club think that we better use it now just in case we play finals for the next 5 years? I am probably alone on this but I am still very optimistic about our list and chances at finals next year and beyond, especially if our young players improve significantly next year.

azabob
13-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not unhappy with this. Ultimately I think I have reconciled myself to a place where I feel that if a player does not want to be at our club (regardless of the reason) then I don't particularly want him there.

Seriously, I'd rather never win a premiership than win it with a team full of players who didn't want to be playing for the Bulldogs (that's just me). I hope we hold on to the pick and use it wisely, my only concern with this is if a Sydney type scenario ensues where we don't drop out of the top 8 for the next 5 years.

Would the club think that we better use it now just in case we play finals for the next 5 years? I am probably alone on this but I am still very optimistic about our list and chances at finals next year and beyond, especially if our young players improve significantly next year.

Im no expert but surely the talent pool at pick 18 & 19 is better in the upcoming years than what it is now?

I say we hold onto it.

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Im no expert but surely the talent pool at pick 18 & 19 is better in the upcoming years than what it is now?

I say we hold onto it.

Next season Picks 18 & 19 are more likely high ladder finishers. Could be picks 1 & 2 if we finish last. There are number of teams holding these compo picks as well.In theory it could picks in the 30s.

Topdog
13-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So was Dustin Martin. So was Joel Selwood. So was Matty Kreuzer. Tom Scully and Callan Ward were a fair way down the list.

It is simply too easy to blame 'the system'. At some point we as a club need to accept partial responsibility for failing to retain both players.

Bolded players are worth paying overs for. Ward is not as much as it pains me to lose him.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 07:13 AM
That's a point!

So what? He does some immature things like alot of footballers on the drink. Cooney did worse with an injury he was supposed to be recovering from, that's even sillier!
Just because you are dirty on him leaving for a bucket load of money, why bag him?
Most in his situation would have taken the money.

Mofra
14-09-2011, 09:25 AM
In the next two years the 17 yo mini-drafts to GWS have the effect of diluting the talent so I'd hope we wait if we can't snare one of the gun 17 year olds - I assume we can also trade the pick to GWS next year for their 2012 17 yo crop.

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 08:53 PM
So what? He does some immature things like alot of footballers on the drink. Cooney did worse with an injury he was supposed to be recovering from, that's even sillier!
Just because you are dirty on him leaving for a bucket load of money, why bag him?

Just got given Brad Johnson's book and there is a whole section devoted to what Chris Grant did when lured with big money from Port Adelaide at end of 96 when we were in real strife. His manager is quoted as saying that he only started to approach getting money he was offered some years later on in his career. He turned down a "once in a lifetime opportunity" like one Ward has been offered. It really made me emotional as I don't think we would have a club without Chris making that decision. Players like West, Johnson, smith would likely to have followed him out door if he left.

We need to move on but also recognize what Grant did versus Ward. One was a champion of the club the other was given an opportunity to be one and has burned it.

Sorry if this has been covered ad naseum already but thought it was really relevant and really sticks out to me. Was Grant just a freak? I thought we may have turned corner with regards to no longer losing a grade talent a la in the 70s and 80s, but now getting worried. I think we should built a statue to Chris as an example of what one persons action can do to bring so much joy to so many. In contrast I don't even know what to think of Ward. He's gone move on I suppose

Rocco Jones
14-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Just got given Brad Johnson's book and there is a whole section devoted to what Chris Grant did when lured with big money from Port Adelaide at end of 96 when we were in real strife. His manager is quoted as saying that he only started to approach getting money he was offered some years later on in his career. He turned down a "once in a lifetime opportunity" like one Ward has been offered. It really made me emotional as I don't think we would have a club without Chris making that decision. Players like West, Johnson, smith would likely to have followed him out door if he left.

We need to move on but also recognize what Grant did versus Ward. One was a champion of the club the other was given an opportunity to be one and has burned it.

Sorry if this has been covered ad naseum already but thought it was really relevant and really sticks out to me. Was Grant just a freak? I thought we may have turned corner with regards to no longer losing a grade talent a la in the 70s and 80s, but now getting worried. I think we should built a statue to Chris as an example of what one persons action can do to bring so much joy to so many. In contrast I don't even know what to think of Ward. He's gone move on I suppose

I'm going to join the gush fest, I want a Chris Grant statue now!

I have mentioned a few times that he lives next door to my girlfriend's nan. I am over there a bit and he is lovely despite me looking at my shoes out of fear that I will cream my pants. He probably thinks I don't like him for some reason!

I'm sure I have said this before but when my gf's nan broke her leg he gave her his home and mobile number as well as his wife's and insisted she call anytime if he needed help. He was a champion footy player but he is an infinitely better bloke.

He saved us and then gave us so much hope for actual success.

Mofra
15-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Ryan Griffen also turned down bigger offers from Adelaide & Essendon to stay with the Bulldogs. He played a final as our no 1 midfielder on one leg last year.
Unappreciated.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Prove it. I know of a number of players who rejected GWS's offer yet you say "most" would have taken the money.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Prove it. I know of a number of players who rejected GWS's offer yet you say "most" would have taken the money.
Are you serious?

Bulldog4life
15-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Are you serious?

Dustin Martin, Andrew Swallow, Dale Thomas, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Mathew Kreuzer all refused and they are the only ones we know about. I suppose it comes down what your definition of "most" is.

Maddog37
15-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I know this is a really, really, really rough comparison but when we were recruiting players at a local level in the bush we had a rule that you had to speak to twenty players to get one recruit. We were offering big money at times relatively speaking and this rule tended to hold true.

Desipura
15-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Dustin Martin, Andrew Swallow, Dale Thomas, Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury, Mathew Kreuzer all refused and they are the only ones we know about. I suppose it comes down what your definition of "most" is.

So what you are saying is the above players are made of the right stuff and money does not mean as much.
Or do you think they love the club and hence why they stayed?

Bulldog4life
15-09-2011, 05:50 PM
So what you are saying is the above players are made of the right stuff and money does not mean as much.
Or do you think they love the club and hence why they stayed?

Maybe a bit of both but something we'll never know. Whatever the reason they knocked back GWS but Ward didn't.

GVGjr
15-09-2011, 06:44 PM

Interesting that all players above are either very high draft picks and/or already very well payed. I think the offer to Martin was back in 2010 before he had even reached 10 games. I'm not sure he got an offer this year.

Ward isn't an elite player so the money he was offered was something he could have =only ever dreamed of.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Interesting that all players above are either very high draft picks and/or already very well payed. I think the offer to Martin was back in 2010 before he had even reached 10 games. I'm not sure he got an offer this year.

Ward isn't an elite player so the money he was offered was something he could have =only ever dreamed of.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m-offer-for-tigers-young-gun-dustin-martin-from-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frf9jf-1225871283986

You're right. Ironically according to article he was likely to be on a very similar wage to stay at Richmond as Ward was offered to stay with us.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
If this doesn't inspire you to get a GWS membership, I don't know what will?

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=AU#/watch?v=lJDJHHs3IfU

w3design
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Inspiring..I'm definitely in!!:eek:

Greystache
03-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Wow, and of 137 takes that's the best one!

Seriously, who is the dumber of those two? :eek:

w3design
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok, Hairy Midget, why were you on their site? Hmmm??

BulldogBelle
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM
That clip has sure cemented me as a GWS fan for life.

LostDoggy
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, Hairy Midget, why were you on their site? Hmmm??

I know you won't believe me, but I was bored and looking at Adam Cooney clips on YouTube. Through some links I saw a clip of Ward getting kicked in a StKilda game, from there it popped up?
Do you buy that?

w3design
03-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I know you won't believe me, but I was bored and looking at Adam Cooney clips on YouTube. Through some links I saw a clip of Ward getting kicked in a StKilda game, from there it popped up?
Do you buy that?
Of course!

Remi Moses
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Well some serious Atom Splitting there!:rolleyes:
God I hate The New York Yankees as well.
Guys you went for the coin!!!!
One sock up and one sock down won me over , just imagined all those rusted on league bogans following AFL now.

azabob
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Just when we thought it was all over, there is speculation that Ward will be co-captain along with Luke Power.

We should get an extra pick if he is made captain. ;)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/captain-callan-20120131-1qrdn.html

Remi Moses
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Been a while since there was a drive by in West Sydney.
Who is this Callan anyway?

LostDoggy
01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Really? Their gunna bypass The Million Dollar Man for Ward as captain?

(No not this guy.)

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=155223&stc=1&d=1265801922

Cyberdoggie
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Just when we thought it was all over, there is speculation that Ward will be co-captain along with Luke Power.

We should get an extra pick if he is made captain. ;)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/captain-callan-20120131-1qrdn.html

You must be joking.

I thought concrete head was more than just a nickname that referred to his physical prowess!

LostDoggy
02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
You must be joking.

I thought concrete head was more than just a nickname that referred to his physical prowess!

Maybe part of his contract?

KT31
03-02-2012, 11:18 PM
As we have all known we got ripped, not worthy of decent concession and yet he will be named captain.:mad::mad::mad:

stefoid
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Really? Their gunna bypass The Million Dollar Man for Ward as captain?

(No not this guy.)

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=155223&stc=1&d=1265801922

Wow, same hair though

Grantysghost
14-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Now Ward is captain, at the toss maybe Boydy should offer him the coin....?;)

Remi Moses
14-02-2012, 06:40 PM
He'll be tossing $100 notes .
Three captains, how ridiculous

bornadog
15-02-2012, 02:50 PM

That's Sheedy for you, the hasbeen coach trying to be different but doesn't know what the hell he is doing.

Mofra
16-02-2012, 12:41 PM
It worked for Sydney, although they're back to a single captain system now.

LostDoggy
16-02-2012, 12:52 PM
It worked for Sydney, although they're back to a single captain system now.

I think with leadership groups playing such a key role, you can afford to have just the one captain whilst still including your senior players in decisions.

It's my opinion that GWS have gone the co-captain route due to the lack of an outstanding candidate for sole captaincy.

DragzLS1
16-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I think with leadership groups playing such a key role, you can afford to have just the one captain whilst still including your senior players in decisions.

It's my opinion that GWS have gone the co-captain route due to the lack of an outstanding candidate for sole captaincy.

I agree, and because of this we must smash them by over 60points every time we play them.

Sorry just any excuse will do really!!