PDA

View Full Version : Sniffing at the trade table

Pages : 1 [2]

stefoid
12-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I think its highly unlikely Toy is on the table, but there has been some Bigfooty discussion... :o

One thing that is on the table is Brad Couch, and I reckon we should go very hard at him based on the opportunity to get an elite midfielder which doesnt come around very often, unless you happen to be really shit (bottom 4) in a decent draft year.

Ward and this mini-draft thing has given us that opportunity without having to be shit next year, so I say we throw the sink at GWS and take it.

I would go ward compo plus pick 17 outright, based on the assumption we finish 8th or 7th next year which would mean wards compo pick is likely to be pick 13 to 15.

Expensive? yes, but its about the opportunity, not the 'value'.

bulldogsman
12-10-2011, 12:26 PM
^ Surely we could at least get a 2nd or 3rd round prick from them if we did that.

Topdog
12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Give up 2 first round picks for 1 player who could potentially be great? No thanks.

We've gone down this path before, it doesnt work.

stefoid
12-10-2011, 12:34 PM
^ Surely we could at least get a 2nd or 3rd rounder from them if we did that.

Maybe, but we have to beat Melbourne out of it, which will take 'overs'.

I think its worth it. Pick 17 in a thin draft is a roll of the dice and pick 31 even more so. I wouldnt let a small thing like a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this draft break the deal.

the ward compo pick is the most valuable in the package by far.

stefoid
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Give up 2 first round picks for 1 player who could potentially be great? No thanks.

We've gone down this path before, it doesnt work.

Have we? when and who?

ledge
12-10-2011, 12:36 PM
^ Surely we could at least get a 2nd or 3rd round prick from them if we did that.

Why would we want another Akermanis?:D

LongWait
12-10-2011, 12:46 PM

I think its worth it. Pick 17 in a thin draft is a roll of the dice and pick 31 even more so. I wouldnt let a small thing like a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this draft break the deal.

I'm 100% behind you Stefoid - we need A-Graders and this club has been reluctant to pay a heavy price to get them (eg. the reluctance to trade to get Hall until it was too late.)

Mofra
12-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm 100% behind you Stefoid - we need A-Graders and this club has been reluctant to pay a heavy price to get them (eg. the reluctance to trade to get Hall until it was too late.)
Bingo - very few A graders around at pick 17 and it's something our list lacks

Mantis
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM

The fact that we were had committed to drafting Cordy that year meant that we didn't have the draft pick required to get an in-contract Hall .ie. Sydney wanted our first rounder.

I would like to know how we could have got another one (1st round pick) without damaging our chances to make top 4 that year?

ledge
12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Bingo - very few A graders around at pick 17 and it's something our list lacks

Wouldnt say that at all, the list would be surprising on A graders picked from later than that, also duds picked before it.

stefoid
12-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Wouldnt say that at all, the list would be surprising on A graders picked from later than that, also duds picked before it.

Yeah, but its essentially random - low probability.

Ill pull some numbers out of my bum

Crouch 50% chance of A grader, 45% chance of decent player, 5% chance of bust

Pick 17 2011, 10% chance of A grader, 35% chance of decent player, 55% chance of bust

Pick 14 2012, 20% chance of A grader, 50% chance of decent player, 30% chance of bust

If those numbers seem at all reasonable, the overwhelming probability is that crouch will end up at least a decent player, if not an A grader.

Whereas with both those other picks, the biggest probabaility is that we will get one decent player between them, not too much hope of an A grader and still a 17% of both being a bust.

It almost seems like Crouch is the less risky option.

bulldogsman
12-10-2011, 01:39 PM

Crouch will be a very good player and he will fit in well but I think you're getting a little carried away. Our compo pick could be a top 10 pick next year where we probably will land an A grade midfielder with that. Not sure I see huge value in offering up both picks for him and getting nothing in return. Pick 31 is the very least I expect back and there will be some possible good AFL players at this point.

Why would we want another Akermanis?:D

Haha oops

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Wait -- there's now some talk about O'Meara not nominating for the mini-draft this year and waiting until next year when GWS gets pick 1 in the national draft (for finishing last) and O'Meara nominating then.

This means that paying overs for a Pick 2 in the mini-draft may not even land us Crouch. Remember we're bidding for picks, not players. If O'Meara doesn't nominate, we'll need Pick 1 in the mini-draft to land Crouch.

It's all a bit of a crapshoot.

Topdog
12-10-2011, 01:54 PM
We could very well finish in the bottom 4 next year.

Mofra
12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Wait -- there's now some talk about O'Meara not nominating for the mini-draft this year and waiting until next year when GWS gets pick 1 in the national draft (for finishing last) and O'Meara nominating then.
Assuming they have pick 1 and a team such as Power don't get a PP to trump them (which I think is likely).

Very dangerous for GWS to assume they will have pick 1 next year

Dogmatic
12-10-2011, 02:31 PM

This means that paying overs for a Pick 2 in the mini-draft may not even land us Crouch. Remember we're bidding for picks, not players. If O'Meara doesn't nominate, we'll need Pick 1 in the mini-draft to land Crouch.

I wouldn't have thought he can retract his nomination from the mini draft.

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Bit late for that, he already has.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Bit late for that, he already has.

There's still talk this morning that he'll pull out. I think GWS are really trying to find a way for him to get to them.

Surely players can pull their nominations out prior to a draft.

bulldogsman
12-10-2011, 02:52 PM
We could very well finish in the bottom 4 next year.

Agree, I don't think our forward line has enough fire power at this stage.

KT31
12-10-2011, 02:54 PM
There's still talk this morning that he'll pull out. I think GWS are really trying to find a way for him to get to them.

If the player pulled out without a valid reason imagine and hope the AFL would take a dim view of this and penalise the player.

Dogmatic
12-10-2011, 02:54 PM

I was listening to SEN earlier and apparently he does not want to go to GWS which is why he nominated for the mini-draft.....knowing that they had to trade him out. This is one of the main reasons that the AFL did not let the proposed deal go through yesterday.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Assuming they have pick 1 and a team such as Power don't get a PP to trump them (which I think is likely).

Very dangerous for GWS to assume they will have pick 1 next year

I wonder if we're heading in a direction where even young players will start putting a price on their head in terms of which club they want to get to.

Established players like Luke Ball etc. have started the trend, so that even if they go into a draft clubs are unlikely to touch him if he's priced out of their reach or if he's indicated he doesn't want to play for them. The Rawlings debacle with us probably also showed clubs that there was no point forcing players to come to their club if they don't want to.

Granted, most draftees will be happy to go wherever, but with the type of hype surrounding the top 3 draft pick type players these days even prior to them getting drafted THEY are in the driving seat, not clubs, so could they also not do the same thing and nominate who they wanted to play for? GWS have probably changed the way we view potential in them paying so much for Scully and Ward, surely it's only a matter of time before someone like O'Meara simply comes out before draft day and says he wants to play for GWS and puts a price on his head?

It would then be a brave club to go ahead and take the risk and draft him anyway.

LostDoggy
12-10-2011, 03:02 PM
If the player pulled out without a valid reason imagine and hope the AFL would take a dim view of this and penalise the player.

Huh? How can you penalise a player who is no longer part of the system? If he pulls out the AFL has no recourse, unless you're suggesting that they have a clause that says something like 'if you pull out for no good reason you are unable to nominate for any type of draft for two years' or something like that.

He could just invent a good reason, of course. Injury or something. As it is the mini-draft is outside of normal process anyway so there's no real precedent to appeal to. I can't imagine anything will be enforceable, and the AFL WANT to get more of these types of 'superstars' into the game, not less.

Topdog
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Didn't Buckley try to do something like that with Brisbane?

LongWait
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
The fact that we were had committed to drafting Cordy that year meant that we didn't have the draft pick required to get an in-contract Hall .ie. Sydney wanted our first rounder.

I would like to know how we could have got another one (1st round pick) without damaging our chances to make top 4 that year?

I guess we'll never know how we could have got the required pick.

As you correctly pointed out Mantis, there may have been reasons why we didn't absolutely go for broke to get Hall earlier, but that doesn't change the fact that we passed on him that year. If we wanted Hall enough we could have got him. We wouldn't take the risk and we may have been correct in passing, but we'll never know. We still don't have that second flag though and it looks miles off it right now.

Mofra
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I wonder if we're heading in a direction where even young players will start putting a price on their head in terms of which club they want to get to.
Didn't Cale Morton (whom Clayton rated as no 3 in the draft) end up at Melbourne with pick 4 after his family expressed concerns over the WCE culture? WCE took Masten instead at pick 3 IIRC.

I think we are heading in that direction, and it is likely to have happened already in some isolated examples. I'm not sure the kids outside the top 10-15 really have that sort of luxury but the top kids certainly would know how to play the game.

It wouldn't be hard to "tank" the interview at the draft combine for a club you're not keen on either.

The Doctor
12-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Looks like Suns will get O'meara

Trade p/work lodged. GWS swap pick one 17y/o mini-draft and rd2 pick (31) to Suns for rd1 pick (4) and 2010 Compensation mid-rd 1 (G Ablett)

from AFL

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Hopefully things open a bit from here, its been slow going

stefoid
12-10-2011, 04:21 PM
If I was dogs, I would offer our compo pick plus #17 outright for MD2

which would you prefer if you were GWS?

dogs compo + pick 14 + pick 17 (GWS keeps own pick #14)

OR

crows compo pick + pick 10 (GWS gives crows their pick #14)

Topdog
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
who is MD2?

Mantis
12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
If I was dogs, I would offer our compo pick plus #17 outright for MD2

which would you prefer if you were GWS?

dogs compo + pick 14 + pick 17 (GWS keeps own pick #14)

OR

crows compo pick + pick 10 (GWS gives crows their pick #14)

You might... No chance that I would.

hujsh
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
who is MD2?

Mini-draft pick 2

KT31
12-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Huh? How can you penalise a player who is no longer part of the system? If he pulls out the AFL has no recourse, unless you're suggesting that they have a clause that says something like 'if you pull out for no good reason you are unable to nominate for any type of draft for two years' or something like that..

One year threat would be suffice for a young bloke to have second thoughts.

He could just invent a good reason, of course. Injury or something. As it is the mini-draft is outside of normal process anyway so there's no real precedent to appeal to. I can't imagine anything will be enforceable, and the AFL WANT to get more of these types of 'superstars' into the game, not less.

Agree, but think there should be some recourse.
Not sure of the circumstances but the AFL made young Rocka play a year at Sydney before he could go to the Pie's.

Hotdog60
13-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Bate wants a move to Bulldogs

By Tim Clarke
12 October 2011 11:01PM EST
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/data/media/00000001/00004715/matthewbate-zoom.jpg

MELBOURNE’S Matthew Bate has set his sights on a move to the Western Bulldogs, with the two clubs haggling over a potential trade involving a second-round draft pick.
Matthew Bate has asked for a trade away from Melbourne
Bate wants to move, and Melbourne are willing to trade – put the Bulldogs’ second round pick 39 is unlikely to get the deal done.
And so that will leave Bate in a nervous limbo as AFL trade week drags on until next Monday, with new Demons coach Mark Neeld preparing a massive pre-season in his bid to harden up the Demons – but Bate looking elsewhere.

LINK (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/10/12/bate-wants-a-move-to-bulldogs/)

hujsh
13-10-2011, 05:19 PM
If pick 39 isn't good enough just walk away. Don't know what the Demons expect for a 24 year old who played 7 games this year.

Cyberdoggie
13-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Hehe, bit of a typo in that article about Bate,

It also mentions Gia has signed for 2 years, and who is a popular 19yo and 250 game player.

Should break the record at that rate i'd say.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I pick 109 isn't good enough just walk away. Don't know what the Demons expect for a 24 year old who played 7 games this year.

Edited for accuracy

Remi Moses
13-10-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd rather spiderbait. Better Value.
Just the lead up forward Williamstown need.

1eyedog
13-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I'd rather spiderbait. Better Value.
Just the lead up forward Williamstown need.

yes but only as far as Shashavaglava.

Ghost Dog
13-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Bate wants a move to Bulldogs

By Tim Clarke
12 October 2011 11:01PM EST
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/data/media/00000001/00004715/matthewbate-zoom.jpg

MELBOURNE’S Matthew Bate has set his sights on a move to the Western Bulldogs, with the two clubs haggling over a potential trade involving a second-round draft pick.
Matthew Bate has asked for a trade away from Melbourne
Bate wants to move, and Melbourne are willing to trade – put the Bulldogs’ second round pick 39 is unlikely to get the deal done.
And so that will leave Bate in a nervous limbo as AFL trade week drags on until next Monday, with new Demons coach Mark Neeld preparing a massive pre-season in his bid to harden up the Demons – but Bate looking elsewhere.

LINK (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/10/12/bate-wants-a-move-to-bulldogs/)

Ex Melbourne players are jinxed, like the curse of Tutankhamun. Brock McClean et al.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Pick 39?! FFS. If we really are interested and I can't see why, I would put the 3rd rounder down and say you have 30 minutes, take it or we walk away and lets all forget we even thought about Bate.

G-Mo77
14-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Can this squash the Bate rumors?

One Demon who won't be moving is Matthew Bate, despite indicating a desire to find a new club.

"Matty Bate is in contract, so he really won't be going anywhere," Harrington said.

"With a new coach, there's a bit of a new look and a new feel about how we might play the game, and it really might suit him to a greater extent than the way we were playing previously."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125022/default.aspx

Hotdog60
14-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Deal or no deal?

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/10/13/2689561/art-svPLAYERS-420x0.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney were last night involved in a delicately-placed four-club deal with Port Adelaide and West Coast that would help Power veterans Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan move to the Giants next year.

Uncontracted Bulldogs forward Josh Hill was at the centre of talks late yesterday, with draft picks 45 and 49 involved in the proposed trade and the Dogs trying to secure the better of them before agreeing to send Hill to the Eagles.

A number of other draft picks would also change hands, with the Giants' contribution set to help uncontracted Eagle Brad Ebert get home to Port Adelaide and ensure Cornes and Brogan a smooth passage to Blacktown. After some early tension, Port Adelaide and GWS have been dealing amicably over the veteran pair. The Giants had at first hoped to simply list both under the rule that allows them free access to players previously on an AFL list, however that option would not have been available had the Power kept them on its first list lodgement, due on October 31.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/deal-or-no-deal-20111013-1ln8s.html#ixzz1ahHxL4wY

The Doctor
14-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Can this squash the Bate rumors?

One Demon who won't be moving is Matthew Bate, despite indicating a desire to find a new club.

"Matty Bate is in contract, so he really won't be going anywhere," Harrington said.

"With a new coach, there's a bit of a new look and a new feel about how we might play the game, and it really might suit him to a greater extent than the way we were playing previously."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125022/default.aspx

According to Mark Stevens of Herald Sun this morning the Dogs offered Melbourne pick 39 for Bate and had it knocked back. They want more.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 10:36 AM
According to Mark Stevens of Herald Sun this morning the Dogs offered Melbourne pick 39 for Bate and had it knocked back. They want more.

Give them 75

Desipura
14-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Give them 75

More like 45 which should be the pick we get for Hill.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 10:41 AM
That's fair/close to paying overs - Hahn was a pick 37 and was an established player at the Bulldogs at the same age. I view them as similar types.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 10:45 AM
More like 45 which should be the pick we get for Hill.

From Stevo on trade week:

Rock stars get better when they die. Fringe players get better when they are thrown up in trade week.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 10:49 AM
If Stevens is right we are idiots.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 10:52 AM
That's fair/close to paying overs - Hahn was a pick 37 and was an established player at the Bulldogs at the same age. I view them as similar types.

WTF? Hahn was drafted as an 18y.o in an uncompromised draft. Bate is a 24y.o who has failed to establish himself in a team that has consistently finished outside the 8. I wouldn't offer pick 78

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Can't believe we turned down the deal for Hill last year. I know it's been done to death, but GEEZ.

jazzadogs
14-10-2011, 11:00 AM
If Stevens is right we are idiots.
Think he was referring to the Hill trade being described as exciting news. But could have also been referring to almost every other player mentioned this week.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Geelong have only taken one player from another club since 2004, ie Brad Ottens. That is the way to go, breed your own.

Mantis
14-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Geelong have only taken one player from another club since 2004, ie Brad Ottens. That is the way to go, breed your own.

If your recruiting team is making good decisions at the the draft this theory stacks up, if they don't you are rooted and are forced to trade.

anfo27
14-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Marcus Drum?

Desipura
14-10-2011, 12:29 PM
At the right price, I think Bate has a role to play with us. Jones cannot do it on his own.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 12:33 PM
At the right price, I think Bate has a role to play with us. Jones cannot do it on his own.

I'm not having a go here Desi -- Bate may be okay enough, but if we keep going at this rate we'll have half a team made up of father-son picks and the other half from fringe rejects from other clubs, topped up by a handful of '99 draft remnants.

I don't know if that way lies premiership success.

Sedat
14-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I think we will be sorely disappointed if Bate is utilised in the same role that he was at Melbourne. If we have a different role in mind for him, perhaps one involving more time in the midfield, it might be a different story.

If Melbourne want to do what we did last year with Hill and look a gift horse in the mouth, it's their prerogative - they will be paying Bate's 250k-odd next season for another 10 or so inconsequential matches and then lose him for virtually nothing in 12 months' time.

Topdog
14-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Bate won't help Jones one bit.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 12:39 PM
If your recruiting team is making good decisions at the the draft this theory stacks up, if they don't you are rooted and are forced to trade.

Trade for B Graders.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I think we will be sorely disappointed if Bate is utilised in the same role that he was at Melbourne. If we have a different role in mind for him, perhaps one involving more time in the midfield, it might be a different story.

If Melbourne want to do what we did last year with Hill and look a gift horse in the mouth, it's their prerogative - they will be paying Bate's 250k-odd next season for another 10 or so inconsequential matches and then lose him for virtually nothing in 12 months' time.

I'm more pissed off about the time we seem to be spending on fringe deals.

The big play for us this trade week, if we really wanted him, was Crouch. That's where all our time should have gone, and kitchen sinks thrown. However, it looks like we've barely put up a whimper there (and if we didn't REALLY want him, why did we bother with an offer?), and then moved on to seemingly more important things like a couple of days of haggling over Triple Brownlow Medallists Bate and Hill.

Where's the 80/20 thinking? If we want to get involved in trade week we should be spending all our time on the big, game-breaking deals, instead, we're spending 80% of our time on stuff that will barely make a ripple -- these fringe nothing deals, just make a quick decision one way or another, keep our powder dry and wait for draft time.

Our priorities seem pretty messed up at the moment.

Dancin' Douggy
14-10-2011, 12:43 PM

The big play for us this trade week, if we really wanted him, was Crouch. That's where all our time should have gone, and kitchen sinks thrown. However, it looks like we've barely put up a whimper there (and if we didn't REALLY want him, why did we bother with an offer?), and then moved on to seemingly more important things like a couple of days of haggling over Triple Brownlow Medallists Bate and Hill.

Where's the 80/20 thinking? We should be spending all our time on the big, game-breaking deals, instead, we're spending 80% of our time on stuff that will barely make a ripple.

Have to agree with this post. Kitchen sinks and all.

Mofra
14-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Marcus Drum?
Tom Harley went alright too, or was that pre-2004?

Mantis
14-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Trade for B Graders.

No-one is forcing us trade for 'B' graders... plenty of other teams trade in very good players.

bornadog
14-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Marcus Drum?

Yes he was too, in 2009 but never played a game.

Desipura
14-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Bate won't help Jones one bit. When he was playing some decent footy a few seasons back, he was a lead up forward. I am not a strong advocate for getting him, but I do believe he will assist our forward line.

Maddog37
14-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Where's the 80/20 thinking? If we want to get involved in trade week we should be spending all our time on the big, game-breaking deals, instead, we're spending 80% of our time on stuff that will barely make a ripple -- these fringe nothing deals, just make a quick decision one way or another, keep our powder dry and wait for draft time.

Just a guess but being Bmacs first year at the helm may mean more tinkering around the edges than wholesale changes. Next year in a less comprimised draft with twelve months list assessment under the bridge would seem a more sensible time to be aggressive in trade week. Patience grasshopper.

stefoid
14-10-2011, 02:32 PM

I agree, but Adelaide went balls out with pick 10 and their compo pick. The only way we could have trumped that was with a young player who was worth more than pick 10, such as...?

I havent seen us use GWS for any pre-listed player deals. I hope we arent loosing theplot aguing over Hill and letting pre-listed players be shipped off for a song.

For instance, and Im not advocating this, just putting it out there for discussion...

Who could we get pre-listed for downgrading our pick 17 to pick GWS 20 (which GWS got from the saints, who downgraded to pick 25 to pick up two pre-listed players).

If we are looking for a player who may/might not be there at 17, then dont do it, but if its another christian howard situation where we are reaching a bit to get the plaeyr we want, then 17 to 20 is nothing.

stefoid
14-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Lantern - for discussion. The type of deal we might have done...

GWS wanted Wood.

We agree to trade Wood + compo pick for mini-draft #2
AFL gives us band 3 compo pick (end of 1st round)

We give up floating 1st round compo pick and Wood
Receive end of 1st round compo pick and Crouch

Remi Moses
14-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Probably right ^^ going to be interesting if the kid plays the go home factor in a few years.

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Would Addam Maric be worth exploring for us? He is obviously available

Could he add speed and run?

The Adelaide Connection
14-10-2011, 04:58 PM
I think when it comes to trade week we:

1, Keep an eye on Sydney
2, Outbid them on anyone they want :D

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 05:16 PM

1, Keep an eye on Sydney

Lucky we didn't do that last year with Everitt.

LostDoggy
14-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Would Addam Maric be worth exploring for us? He is obviously available

Could he add speed and run?

I have no idea what he is like as a player but know some PEGs teachers than had him and Cotchin. Cotchin was great but Maric a bit of a knob. Think he was also involved a betting issues a few years back.

Ghost Dog
16-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Lucky we didn't do that last year with Everitt.

The swapping of two players matched quite evenly in their unfulfilled potential.
Neither club seems like the winner out of it.
Everitt seems not so close to becoming the next Adam Goodes, as was reported at the start of the season.
Vezpremi = question mark

Greystache
16-10-2011, 12:25 AM
The swapping of two players matched evenly in their unfulfilled potential.
Neither club seems like the winner out of it.

I'd prefer to have Veszpremi than Everitt myself.

Ghost Dog
16-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I'd prefer to have Veszpremi than Everitt myself.

Perhaps, but on paper, nil all.

The Coon Dog
16-10-2011, 12:40 AM
From The Age. I'm staggered by this if true:

The Western Bulldogs opted out of a deal with GWS, West Coast and the Power that would have sent Josh Hill to the Eagles. The Dogs wanted pick 45 instead of 49.

Remi Moses
16-10-2011, 12:42 AM

The Western Bulldogs opted out of a deal with GWS, West Coast and the Power that would have sent Josh Hill to the Eagles. The Dogs wanted pick 45 instead of 49.

Don't know why we're worrying over 4 spots:rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
16-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Oh my god.

Are we honestly walking away from this deal because we were offered a pick FOUR places higher?

Please tell me this story is a fabrication...

Ghost Dog
16-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Don't know why we're worrying over 4 spots:rolleyes:

Somebody remind these guys, Brian Lake came in at a lazy 72.

KT31
16-10-2011, 12:56 AM

1, Keep an eye on Sydney

Why not out bid the Cat's, they seem to no what they are doing !

GVGjr
16-10-2011, 07:11 AM

I just wonder if the weight of last years comment about Hill being worth a top 20 pick is in the back on their mind? The problem of course is that if he is an uncontracted player as we are led to believe if we lose him for nothing it won't go down well.

G-Mo77
16-10-2011, 08:50 AM
I just wonder if the weight of last years comment about Hill being worth a top 20 pick is in the back on their mind? The problem of course is that if he is an uncontracted player as we are led to believe if we lose him for nothing it won't go down well.

Sounds like a bit of pride getting in the way. Hopefully someone will take a sane pill and just send him on for the pick. It's as good as we're going to get.

GVGjr
16-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a bit of pride getting in the way. Hopefully someone will take a sane pill and just send him on for the pick. It's as good as we're going to get.

There of course could be some other considerations:
- We are looking to deal for another player and pick 49 just isn't going to get that deal done
- We have a superior offer from another club but Josh is lukewarm about going there but we think he will buckle

On face value it looks like we are being pedantic but it might be part of the bigger picture.

The Adelaide Connection
16-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Why not out bid the Cat's, they seem to no what they are doing !

They certainly do, but that has comparatively little to do with recycled players. The swans have been brilliant (arguably the best) at Identifying what they need, getting the players and having success with those players.

chef
16-10-2011, 09:20 AM

We must need a pick no later than 45 for another trade.

Topdog
16-10-2011, 11:05 AM
We must need a pick no later than 45 for another trade.

If Reid is end of Round 3 compo what pick would that be? 60??

The Coon Dog
16-10-2011, 11:37 AM

According to this thread it would be pick 67.

2011 Draft Order (www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10008)

azabob
16-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Surely we will bank this pick for a couple of years time? Plus not sure AFL have advised what our compo pick is.

bulldogsman
16-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Surely we will bank this pick for a couple of years time? Plus not sure AFL have advised what our compo pick is.

It would be stupid not to.

azabob
16-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Could we want 45 to trade for Bate? Now Clark has gone to Melb, Melbourne may accept pick 39 now. Personally we should hold out for our 3rd round pick which is mid 50's.

Topdog
16-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Didn't they reject 39?

bornadog
16-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Didn't they reject 39?

Yes they wanted a first round pick - dreaming of course

divvydan
16-10-2011, 12:17 PM
It's not an end of Round 3 compensation, it's a Round 3 compensation, which from that above linked posted by TCD, would be #58. Hopefully we bank it for a future year where it'll be on average, somewhere in the 40's.

azabob
16-10-2011, 12:55 PM
It's not an end of Round 3 compensation, it's a Round 3 compensation, which from that above linked posted by TCD, would be #58. Hopefully we bank it for a future year where it'll be on average, somewhere in the 40's.

That link is from before trade week. It doesn't include our Reid compo pick. I don't think the AFL have officially advised what our compensation is for losing Reid.

chef
16-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Wasn't talking about the Reid pick.

We may need a 2nd round pick for a trade, which 45 is. 49 is a round 3 pick.

divvydan
16-10-2011, 01:29 PM
That link is from before trade week. It doesn't include our Reid compo pick. I don't think the AFL have officially advised what our compensation is for losing Reid.

They haven't, what I'm saying is that the Band 5 compensation (lowest band) is a rd 3 pick, not an end of rd 3 pick, so our compensation can't be an end of rd 3 pick.

Topdog
16-10-2011, 01:33 PM
yeah didnt mean to quote you chef. Was unrelated.

Cheers for the clarification divvy

stefoid
16-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I hope we are looking hard at the Caddy situation, we have the picks if we want to trump other melbourne teams

Maddog37
16-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I hope we are looking hard at the Caddy situation, we have the picks if we want to trump other melbourne teams

Agreed Stefoid. He is that big body type that Bmac has stated as the type of player we aim to produce.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 10:45 AM
We're back!

Not much news around this morning.

I think we should be having a red hot go at Caddy. Suns want 2 compo picks and we have them. the one for Ward and the one for Reid. thats better than anything the Bombers will offer

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 10:54 AM
We're back!

I think we should be having a red hot go at Caddy. Suns want 2 compo picks and we have them. the one for Ward and the one for Reid. thats better than anything the Bombers will offer

You're probably right but I'd be surprised if we are in the mix for him. The Ward compensation pick must have a lot of appeal.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 10:58 AM
You're probably right but I'd be surprised if we are in the mix for him. The Ward compensation pick must have a lot of appeal.

If we are going to trade then we should be trading for this type of player. A young gun midfielder with his entire career in front of him. perfect.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 11:15 AM
If we are going to trade then we should be trading for this type of player. A young gun midfielder with his entire career in front of him. perfect.

There seems to be some speculation now that we have thrown our name into the mix.

Mantis
17-10-2011, 11:15 AM
We're back!

Does the Reid one have much real value?

At best it might be a pick in the 40's in the coming years.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Does the Reid one have much real value?

At best it might be a pick in the 40's in the coming years.

in a good draft a pick in the 40's is great value. It's a nice sweetener.

The big value os the Ward compo pick

kruder
17-10-2011, 11:18 AM

Yep have a crack doggies!

hotdog
17-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Go on Dogs. Have a go at Caddy. Worst case scenario Sun's say no.

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 11:20 AM
@TradeWeekRadio Trade Week Radio
Hutchy says the Josh Hill deal to West Coast is imminent and will most likely go down in the next 30 minutes #tradeweek

divvydan
17-10-2011, 11:22 AM
TWR saying that Melbourne have rejected pick #39 for Bate. If that's the case, I hope we don't go chasing any more and just accept it won't happen.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Apparantly Melbourne clubs are circling around Josh Caddy like seagulls to a chip

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Its not looking like we will be trading for Bate, unless Melbourne change their mind at the last minute, so will it just be Reid, Hill and Hudson out for low picks?

Dry Rot
17-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Apparantly Melbourne clubs are circling around Josh Caddy like seagulls to a chip

Are we one of the seagulls?

soupman
17-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Could the reason we are holding out for 45 be that Melbourne have asked for a second round pick and somethind else (like a late pick or something)? That would mean from our point of view we either lose 45 and a late pick and retain our current pick setup, or we downgrade 39 to 49 and lose that late pick. Make sense?

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Could the reason we are holding out for 45 be that Melbourne have asked for a second round pick and somethind else (like a late pick or something)? That would mean from our point of view we either lose 45 and a late pick and retain our current pick setup, or we downgrade 39 to 49 and lose that late pick. Make sense?

I wonder if we are last minute going to flick a pick to the Saints for Ray?

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Are we one of the seagulls?

I suspect we are. The one with the missing leg squawking on the fringes.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Jarred Boumann now officially a Hawk

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Jarrad Boumann traded by GWS to Hawthorn.

Desipura
17-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Jarrad Boumann traded by GWS to Hawthorn.
Has he improved that much in 12 months?

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Given he's been playing at their VFL affiliate; Box Hill, the Hawks must have seen something.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Saw him a number of times and didn't do anything to show he's improved on the previous season. :confused:

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Given he's been playing at their VFL affiliate; Box Hill, the Hawks must have seen something.

We all know they are a club that need KP defenders. It's interesting they let go of Lisle to the Lions for pick 29 but snap up Boumann with a late pick.

I can only assume they rate Boumann higher than Lisle (I certainly do) and they have pick pocketed the Lions in the process. Good luck to them.

divvydan
17-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Trade p/work lodged - West Coast exchange Brad Ebert, Rd 2 pick (45) to Port Adelaide for its Priority Pick (28), On-Traded Rd 3 pick (49).

Greystache
17-10-2011, 12:04 PM
We all know they are a club that need KP defenders. It's interesting they let go of Lisle to the Lions for pick 29 but snap up Boumann with a late pick.

I can only assume they rate Boumann higher than Lisle (I certainly do) and they have pick pocketed the Lions in the process. Good luck to them.

I saw him a couple of times this year, he still looked like a scared outside midfielder with average skills that just happened to be the height of a KPD. I can't see him ever being able to hold his own against a decent AFL forward.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I saw him a couple of times this year, he still looked like a scared outside midfielder with average skills that just happened to be the height of a KPD. I can't see him ever being able to hold his own against a decent AFL forward.

That may be the case. It's just interesting that the Hawks were happy to let Lisle go despite their deficiencies and brought in Boumann as a replacement.

Greystache
17-10-2011, 12:13 PM
That may be the case. It's just interesting that the Hawks were happy to let Lisle go despite their deficiencies and brought in Boumann as a replacement.

Clearly they mustn't rate Lisle. I'd suggest perhaps he had some off field issues, but Boumann would hardly be an improvement in that area either.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Hutchy saying again that Hill trade will be done in next 20-30 minutes. For pick 49.

Cyberdoggie
17-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Hutchy saying again that Hill trade will be done in next 20-30 minutes. For pick 49.

That's better than a stab in the eye i guess.

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Trade Week Radio
Hutchy says he believes the Bombers have put Gumbleton and Hooker on the table in order to get the Caddy deal done #tradeweek

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Clearly they mustn't rate Lisle. I'd suggest perhaps he had some off field issues, but Boumann would hardly be an improvement in that area either.

Or they believe Boumann provides them with similar coverage but at a much cheaper rate

bornadog
17-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Trade p/work lodged - Western Bulldogs exchange Josh Hill to West Coast for its on-traded rd 3 pick (49)

GVGjr
Lets see if the Swans can work there magic and make Mitch Morton into a better footballer.

LostDoggy
Trade p/work lodged - Western Bulldogs exchange Josh Hill to West Coast for its on-traded rd 3 pick (49)

It's over...he's someone else’s disappointment now.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Bate deal going nowhere according to Hutchy

Hotdog60
17-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Hudson deal soon

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 12:59 PM

He's more than a capable footballer but he just needs to get focused on his football.

anfo27
17-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Trade Week Radio
Hutchy says he believes the Bombers have put Gumbleton and Hooker on the table in order to get the Caddy deal done #tradeweek

If the dons can pull this off then thats a great get. Gumbie will never be anything, pick 19 is not a great pick and Hooker is ok. All this for a potential A grader would be a master stroke.

Mantis
17-10-2011, 01:09 PM
He's more than a capable footballer but he just needs to get focused on his football.

I don't think he has the desire or the hardness to make it, but good luck to the Hawks at untapping the physical attributes Boumann has.

And I wonder if comrade will make the switch to the Hawks to follow the chosen one?

w3design
17-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Soupman love Lano and Woodley we are the two men

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think he has the desire or the hardness to make it, but good luck to the Hawks at untapping the physical attributes Boumann has.

And I wonder if comrade will make the switch to the Hawks to follow the chosen one?

I believe the AFL Trade Tracker will have this as a completed deal by 2pm. ;)

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Huddo for pick 70!

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Dogs are having a clearance sale

jazzadogs
17-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Quayle tweeting that we will get the pick Brisbane got for Power, in exchange for Hudson. Think its in the 60's.

stefoid
17-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Huddo better shave, and donate the beard to the FFC!

BulldogBelle
17-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Quayle tweeting that we will get the pick Brisbane got for Power, in exchange for Hudson. Think its in the 60's.

Given Power went to GWS - is that pick a compensation pick?

Do we have to use it this draft?

GVGjr
It doesn't sound like we are in the mix for Caddy. Things might change but it doesn't sound like we are pushing it.

The Doctor
Melbourne now into Caddy and possibly derailing the bombers bid. Scully compo pick may be involved.

Great stuff by Melbourne. Whether they get the deal done or not they have got on the front foot and shown real ambition this trade period.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 01:29 PM
It doesn't sound like we are in the mix for Caddy. Things might change but it doesn't sound like we are pushing it.

our boys are probably in a backroom somewhere consoling each other for only getting pick 49 for Hill and not 45.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 01:31 PM
our boys are probably in a backroom somewhere consoling each other for only getting pick 49 for Hill and not 45.

In reality they might be high fiving each other :)

1eyedog
17-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Trade Week Radio

Gee they really want him don't they. How old is Gumbleton? 24? Would play CHF for us all next year if fit.

Cyberdoggie
17-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Gee they really want him don't they. How old is Gumbleton? 24? Would play CHF for us all next year if fit.

Has he actually played 1 decent game of footy yet?

Been injured more than Tom Williams.

anfo27
17-10-2011, 01:38 PM

This kid will not make it. Injured all the time and he can not kick.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I can't understand why we aren't looking at Caddy or McCaffer.

Getting something for Hudson was good, and trading Reid & Hill needed to be done.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 01:48 PM
So does anyone think we will trade for a player and if so who?

chef
17-10-2011, 01:49 PM
So does anyone think we will trade for a player and if so who?

I think we will still end up with Bate and maybe Ray.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Funnily enough I've seen him play a good game against one T Williams. Towelled him up a couple of years ago, from memory he kicked 3 on him when he and Ryder were giving us a bath.

I think Meyers was also playing well that night which may nullify my point

Cyberdoggie
I think we will still end up with Bate and maybe Ray.

I don't think picking up Ray would be a good result for us, and it appears Melbourne are asking way too much for Bate.

They would have to have a change in stance if this is to get done.

Dry Rot
Demons seem preoccupied with other trades - apparently trying for Caddy.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Demons seem preoccupied with other trades - apparently trying for Caddy.

It might force their hand with getting something for Bate but yes I agree they are wanting to beat Essendon for the services of Caddy.

Cyberdoggie
17-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Funnily enough I've seen him play a good game against one T Williams. Towelled him up a couple of years ago, from memory he kicked 3 on him when he and Ryder were giving us a bath.

Hehe yes probably can't count that one.

1eyedog
17-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Agreed, he is injury prone. 18 disposals and 10 marks against Collingwood last year was his best effort. He kicked three against us last year as well.

Dry Rot
17-10-2011, 02:09 PM
How many open spots do we have right now?

IIRC Hall (retd), Hudson (retd/traded), Ward, Reid and Hill gone = 5 minus 2 likely upgraded rookies = 3 open places.

Is this right?

bulldogtragic
17-10-2011, 02:14 PM
How many open spots do we have right now?

IIRC Hall (retd), Hudson (retd/traded), Ward, Reid and Hill gone = 5 minus 2 likely upgraded rookies = 3 open places.

Is this right?
Think so.

Hotdog60
17-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Luke Dahlhaus has been upgraded and been given 2 year contract

Dry Rot
17-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Think so.

Is that enough? IIRC Addison and Stack are out of contract - anyone else?

Or in this draft would we be happy with just 3 picks?

Dry Rot
17-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Luke Dahlhaus has been upgraded and been given 2 year contract

No word on Panos?

Hotdog60
17-10-2011, 02:23 PM
No word on Panos?

I don't know about Panos and has Howard signed yet.

Greystache
17-10-2011, 02:25 PM

I would certainly be delisting those two and taking 5 picks. Then next year I'd be looking at Hooper, Mulligan, Moles, Skinner Gilbee, and Hargrave, and taking another 6 or 7 in the draft again.

Drunken Bum

I know that Hooper and Mulligan are under contract but they wouldn't be on all that much surely, wouldn't we be better off delisting at least one of them if not both regardless of if they are contracted or not? If we don't will we even use the picks we got for Hill and Hudson?

bornadog

Wasn't that against Everitt?

Greystache
17-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Wasn't that against Everitt?

No, against Williams. They kept bombing the ball high in the air and Tommy kept getting lost. If it weren't for Higgins 5-6 opposition goals from direct turnovers the crowd would've lynched Williams that night.

Cyberdoggie
17-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I've been reading this AFl live trade tracker, some of the comments on there are positively hilarious, and i don't think they are trying to be funny.

One poster suggested Mulligan and Hooper for Bate. :p

Greystache
17-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Has anyone heard Tim Mohr's name mentioned at all?

Remi Moses
17-10-2011, 02:32 PM
We're back!

Nearly as funny as Harford on SEN trying to be funny!
Give it a rest

bornadog
17-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I've been reading this AFl live trade tracker, some of the comments on there are positively hilarious, and i don't think they are trying to be funny.

One poster suggested Mulligan and Hooper for Bate. :p

Take it take it:D

stefoid
17-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Has anyone heard Tim Mohr's name mentioned at all?

Only in relation to GWS keeping him for themseves

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Nearly as funny as Harford on SEN trying to be funny!
Give it a rest

????

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 02:40 PM
GC get 24 - Crows get 27, 31 & 68

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 02:44 PM
GC get 24 - Crows get 27, 31 & 68

Seems to be a few of these type of trades going through where picks rather than players are exchanged.

Remi Moses
17-10-2011, 02:44 PM
????

Having a go at Harford Doc not you

bornadog
17-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Seems to be a few of these type of trades going through where picks rather than players are exchanged.

Gold Coast improving their draft position and don't need so many draft picks anyway.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Sydney racing through the trades!

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Walsh from Saints gone to Swans for picks 35 & 68?

bornadog
17-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Love this from Emma Q - Melbourne are like Germany post WW2. Too much cash and hyperinflating the value of draft picks in a deflated market.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 02:49 PM

I've seen him a few times and I think he's a decent experiment.

Remi Moses
17-10-2011, 02:52 PM

Really surprised Stkilda let him go

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Really surprised Stkilda let him go

No choice, sounds like the boys mind was made up, and he was out of contract

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 02:56 PM
5 minute warning

Dry Rot
17-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Anyone else wondering that we were pretty inactive this trade period?

Crows, Demons and Swans saw a fair few opportunities.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 03:01 PM
All over red rover. No players in.

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 03:04 PM

I'd have liked us to add a player or two but it just didn't pan out that way.

Other teams were obviously more desperate to deal.

Greystache
17-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Glad we dodged the Bate bullet. 2nd round pick would have been overs.

bornadog
17-10-2011, 03:05 PM

I am happy with that

GVGjr
17-10-2011, 03:06 PM
So the big questions are:

1) Outside of GWS who did the best during the trade week?
2) Which player are you most disappointed that we missed out on?

The Coon Dog
17-10-2011, 03:11 PM
So, for us it was:

IN: 49, 70 & TBA
OUT: Hill, Hudson & Reid

Remi Moses
17-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Glad we didn't bring in Bate.
Glad we didn't bring in any fringe players
Not sure about Caddy, they have so many young players I can't keep track.
What a shock the Bombres couldn't get the deal done!
Disappointed we didn't get Crouch.
Thankfully we didn't pay massive overs for Clark.
Plain lunacy that wage.
Glad Hill's gone. Did well getting a pick for Reid. Did well getting a pick for a guy who retired.
Bring on the draft

w3design
17-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Doggies draft picks #17
Plus Ward compo pick and Sam Reid compo T.B.A to use up until 2015

Scraggers
17-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Doggies draft picks #17
Plus Ward compo pick and Sam Reid compo T.B.A to use up until 2015

Happy with that ... very glad we didn't use our Ward compo pick this trade period

bornadog
17-10-2011, 03:19 PM

I think Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane did well. GWS has 11 out of 14 in the National Draft and GC upgraded a few spots as well. Outside that not many other players in draft. Melbourne is gambling on Clark by paying him $600k (reported) a year.

1eyedog
17-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Glad we didn't bring in Bate.
Glad we didn't bring in any fringe players
Not sure about Caddy, they have so many young players I can't keep track.
What a shock the Bombres couldn't get the deal done!
Disappointed we didn't get Crouch.
Thankfully we didn't pay massive overs for Clark.
Plain lunacy that wage.
Glad Hill's gone. Did well getting a pick for Reid. Did well getting a pick for a guy who retired.
Bring on the draft

Sums it up for me too.

Bulldog Revolution
17-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Hawthorn did well

Got the guy they wanted in Gunston, and then traded both Renouf and Lisle for well over value, as well as adding the pre-listed Boumann

Mantis
17-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I think Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane did well. GWS has 11 out of 14 in the National Draft and GC upgraded a few spots as well. Outside that not many other players in draft. Melbourne is gambling on Clark by paying him $600k (reported) a year.

But sometimes you have to gamble to fill a specific need.

chef
17-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Trade for picks, not fringe players.

Topdog
17-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Well done to the trading team, brought in no duds, didn't overpay for anything. Happy with that.

Raw Toast
17-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Also disappointed we didn't get Crouch - seemed like we could have gone harder, and that he'll likely be an elite player with attributes we desperately need.

Also happy we didn't budge on Bate (but concerned that we offered that high a pick in the first place), think we did ok with Hill, glad re Reid and happy to get a pick for Hudson.

I do miss Clayton at the moment despite his faults.

Drunken Bum
17-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I thought it was very poor by the AFL not to let us know what compensation we would receive for Reid before the trade period ended. I can only assume that it is because his contract with GWS hasn't been finalised as yet but if it has they should have announced the compo asap it can't be that difficult surely seeing as they have some so called formula to work with.

Not that i expect anything but incompetence from the AFL anyway

Sockeye Salmon
17-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Hawthorn did well

Got the guy they wanted in Gunston, and then traded both Renouf and Lisle for well over value, as well as adding the pre-listed Boumann

Perhaps, but what about this:

Fremantle - Second round draft selection (29), third round selection (58) and fourth draft selection (71)
Hawthorn - Second round draft selection (38), third round selection (56), on-traded to GWS Giants

Pick 56/58 are basically the same thing so they have traded

Picks 29 & 71 for 38? WTF?

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 05:10 PM

Fremantle - Second round draft selection (29), third round selection (58) and fourth draft selection (71)
Hawthorn - Second round draft selection (38), third round selection (56), on-traded to GWS Giants

That's simply shit. No other way to describe it unless they have some rare gem they reckon will be available then and are banking on the extra pick. Still doesn't make any sense though.

stefoid
17-10-2011, 06:16 PM

On Hawks board - "Apparently FREO were going to offer a better pick to GWS for Boumann, effectively we downgraded pick 29 for 38....we bought Freo off."

Geez... they must rate Boumann.

bornadog
17-10-2011, 06:47 PM
On Hawks board - "Apparently FREO were going to offer a better pick to GWS for Boumann, effectively we downgraded pick 29 for 38....we bought Freo off."

Geez... they must rate Boumann.

Big guys take longer to mature and we ran out of patience.

Drunken Bum
17-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Big guys take longer to mature and we ran out of patients.

if they want another patient to add to their injury list they would have been better having a crack at Higgins or Cooney(i won't mention Tommygun here because i am hoping beyond hope that he has turned the corner injury wise)

bulldogsman
17-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Wasn't his attitude and work ethic poor?

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Wasn't his attitude and work ethic poor?

I think the technical term you're looking for is "piss" poor.

Mantis
17-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Are we now a hospital? :p

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Not sure I have this right but did we choose to keep Mulligan over Boumann? A couple years later, Mulligan is worth nothing yet Boumann is worth a reasonable pick upgrade. So in theory, if we kept Boumann, we could've traded him this year for that reasonable pick upgrade instead of GWS. Did we stuff up with his delisting or does Box Hill develop players better than we can?

azabob
17-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Not sure I have this right but did we choose to keep Mulligan over Boumann? A couple years later, Mulligan is worth nothing yet Boumann is worth a reasonable pick upgrade. So in theory, if we kept Boumann, we could've traded him this year for that reasonable pick upgrade instead of GWS. Did we stuff up with his delisting or does Box Hill develop players better than we can?

Little from column A, little from column b. From memory we drafted Boumann onto our main list instead of Mulligan which inturn we rookied. I think Boumann was initially going to be rookied but Clayton decided on drafting him and rooking Mulligan.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Boumann was a bit of a head case. Had some pretty major issues as a teenager and hadn't quite developed as a person let alone a footballer when he was picked up by us. Having said that, the leadership program he participated in with Grant prior to the 2010 season was meant to have helped him greatly. However he made one stuff up (not actually sure what this was) and Eade decided enough was enough and didn't give him another chance. So it may have been a personality issue rather then a talent issue in letting him go.

The Doctor
17-10-2011, 08:50 PM

At the end of 2010 Mulligan was well behind;

Faulks
Markovic
Tiller
Boumann

for a key defensive role at Williamstown, let alone the Bulldogs seniors. He was battling away in the Willi 2's while the above quartet formed the foundation of arguably the best defence outside the AFL at the time. Somehow he has been elevated above all bar Markovic and somewhere along the line given a 3 year contract.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 10:39 PM
3 year contract, very unlikely

Greystache
17-10-2011, 10:44 PM
3 year contract, very unlikely

Makes you wonder what the club saw that no one else did.

chef
18-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Boumann was a bit of a head case. Had some pretty major issues as a teenager and hadn't quite developed as a person let alone a footballer when he was picked up by us. Having said that, the leadership program he participated in with Grant prior to the 2010 season was meant to have helped him greatly. However he made one stuff up (not actually sure what this was) and Eade decided enough was enough and didn't give him another chance. So it may have been a personality issue rather then a talent issue in letting him go.

He missed training during the pre season before a pracy match.

bornadog
18-10-2011, 09:51 AM
He missed training during the pre season before a pracy match.

After he said he was ill, but seen at an Concert by one of the assistants, but also lied when asked.

jazzadogs
18-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I found this article by Brisbane Lions Talent Manager Rob Kerr to be amazing. In it, he describes the process and rationale behind each of their trades.

Also confirms that they did chase Tippett, offering pick 8, or pick 12 + a later pick.

If I was a Brisbane supporter I would be absolutely stoked to receive this kind of information from my club, and I would love to see something similar from the Dogs (not necessarily because I have any problems with what we did in trade week, but more so because it shows that clubs can make this kind of information accessible to members).

Link (http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/125257/default.aspx)

Mantis
18-10-2011, 09:06 PM
If I was a Brisbane supporter I would be absolutely stoked to receive this kind of information from my club, and I would love to see something similar from the Dogs (not necessarily because I have any problems with what we did in trade week, but more so because it shows that clubs can make this kind of information accessible to members).

We can't even find out how long our players have be re-signed for little lone this sort of info... some really good stuff there.

Kudos to Brisbane.

soupman
18-10-2011, 10:29 PM
That is outstanding by Brisbane. A really interesting read and something which brings the supporters isnide the club and it's thoughts. I know we used to have a big feature article on us after draft day for 2 years running where a journalist spent the draft day with Scott Clayton and got to write up our plans and thoughts on the draft both before, during and after and that was great, but this is even more in depth and just all round fantastic.

The Coon Dog
18-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Quite compelling reading from Brisbane & I echo the thoughts of others who were also suitably impressed.

bulldogsman
18-10-2011, 10:48 PM
That's really well done Brisbane.

That interview from Fantasia is all I've heard from us and it wasn't all that informative. I wish the club would do something like this or even tell us something.

soupman
19-10-2011, 12:44 AM
That's really well done Brisbane.

That interview from Fantasia is all I've heard from us and it wasn't all that informative. I wish the club would do something like this or even tell us something.

Whilst I do agree with you I'd imagine this years trade week report would be pretty boring. It could pretty much be summed up as the following: "We took the only deals offered for the dead wood we had on the trade table. Anything we tried to instigate we were outbidded on or were rejected on the basis of highly specific homesickness".

jeemak
19-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Whilst I found the interview from Brisbane illuminating to a point, I'm not really sure I would like such a detailed summation of trade week coming from our football department. Particularly if we were in the hunt to challenge for a top four position, and looking for an edge in our list management if only in light of how we might negotiate the following year.

I also think such a summation is opportunistic for Brisbane in light of them losing a player of extremely high potential, talent and game changing ability. They needed to show how dilligent they were, and if we traded away a player like Brian Lake or Adam Cooney our PR department would be on the front foot as well.

From my perspective, I think those managing our club recognise the same issues our list has to deal with that we do. There wasn't a lot on offer, for a reasonable price (most importantly) so we are well within our rights to keep quiet about our outgoings prior to the trade period, because let's face it, they were modest as far as trade value was concerned anyway.

I'm also glad our football department didn't advertise to the members or the public in general what we were looking for. The club knows just as well as anyone who is out of contract or who might be shopped around due to the contact it has with player managers, so increasong the publicity surrounding certain needs and garnering membership support to get certain players on board would only have increased the potential for our football department to make populist or irrational choices on certain players.

But, still an interesting read nonetheless. Especially considering I don't like horse racing that much and the footy jive is running out quickly as far as the papers are concerned.

jeemak
19-10-2011, 01:12 AM
^As for the above, not comparing Clarke to Cooney or Lake just yet. He's clearly not in their league however, he could get there and for Brisbane he's about as promising as it gets.

bulldogsman
19-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Whilst I do agree with you I'd imagine this years trade week report would be pretty boring. It could pretty much be summed up as the following: "We took the only deals offered for the dead wood we had on the trade table. Anything we tried to instigate we were outbidded on or were rejected on the basis of highly specific homesickness".

I'd just like to see what our aims and plans were. Perhaps this is giving too much information away though.

Grantysghost
19-10-2011, 10:28 AM
The Lions stuff was great from a supporters point of view... A great insight into the thinking behind things, especially the Clarke deal. Of most interest to me was Freo's complacency the first few days of the week (Ross Lyon written all over it) and the Lions thoughts on the difference between pick 12 and 16 for getting an A grader into their list.

Sockeye Salmon
19-10-2011, 11:37 AM
The Lions thoughts on the difference between pick 12 and 16 for getting an A grader into their list.

Considering we have 17, this was a biggie to me. They obviously have someone in mind.

Getting an invite to the draft a few years back (Howards year) I was amazed at how close the club knew what the draft order would be.

Howard was rated 14 on our list and the other 13 went in the 14 picks before our pick. From memory Kane Lucas was the only one we didn't rate.

bornadog
19-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Delists are coming through thick and fast from all clubs. I wonder when ours will be?

Jordan Jones and Callum Wilson have been delisted by West Coast

chef
19-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Delists are coming through thick and fast from all clubs. I wonder when ours will be?

Jordan Jones and Callum Wilson have been delisted by West Coast

I wouldn't mind picking up Wilson with a late pick.

LostDoggy
22-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread for it, but I found this article by Brisbane Lions Talent Manager Rob Kerr to be amazing. In it, he describes the process and rationale behind each of their trades.

Also confirms that they did chase Tippett, offering pick 8, or pick 12 + a later pick.

Link (http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/125257/default.aspx)

And we get a Bulldogs TV interview (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/125399/default.aspx)with Fantasia that told us nothing new. Wonder whether he was referring to Tippet as the contracted player they chased.

stefoid
23-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Considering we have 17, this was a biggie to me. They obviously have someone in mind.

Getting an invite to the draft a few years back (Howards year) I was amazed at how close the club knew what the draft order would be.

Howard was rated 14 on our list and the other 13 went in the 14 picks before our pick. From memory Kane Lucas was the only one we didn't rate.

A KPP I would say.

Remi Moses
23-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Kerr is just rehashing what was reported.
We all knew they wanted Tippet, they wanted the best deal for Clark( good sense)
They needed a second big bodied ruck ( the Beard)
Smart move by Freo not paying that exorbitant amount for Clark, let's face it the Mexican standoff has been perfected by all parties in Trade week.