PDA

View Full Version : Retirements, Trades, Delistings and the Rookie list

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Remi Moses
26-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Not overly excited when I hear Gold Coast happy to facilitate a trade to a Melbourne club for Toy!!:eek:
Hmmm No Thanks

chef
26-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I'd really like us to make a late play for Ben Jacobs at Port, he fits our new "hard edged" approach. Wish we could engineer a swap for Markovic, Sherman or Vez (maybe two of them) to Port for Jacobs. Josh Toy for a late pick and we would have a strong group of 20 to 22 year olds, capable of taking us forward.

He would cost pick 22 which I wouldn't want us to give up.

Markovic, Sherman & or Vez are not going to get the job done.

Hopefully we get Toy to go in the PSD or if GC are feeling generous and delist him by the 31st we can pick him up as a FA for nothing.

gohardorgohome
26-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I can't see Markovic going anywhere now that we have traded out Brian Lake. Panos or Vez would be possible delistings IMO.

LostDoggy
26-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Hopefully Nth and Port can't agree on a deal and Jacobs comes to us in PSD. That would be a gift. Got no interest in Toy. Why would GCS delist one of their prized 17 yr olds after only two years? Thats not a warning sign, thats a flashing red evacuation zone.

Bulldog4life
26-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Hopefully Nth and Port can't agree on a deal and Jacobs comes to us in PSD. That would be a gift. Got no interest in Toy. Why would GCS delist one of their prized 17 yr olds after only two years? Thats not a warning sign, thats a flashing red evacuation zone.

They traded Caddy because he wanted to go home to Victoria. Similar situation with Toy.

strebla
26-10-2012, 12:55 PM
They traded Caddy because he wanted to go home to Victoria. Similar situation with Toy.

I am with you here comming home may just be what he needs no problem using a late pick like 51 or getting him in the PSD .

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I am with you here comming home may just be what he needs no problem using a late pick like 51 or getting him in the PSD .

Got to be a player for player. Our empty spots are drying up. If he comes in Panos, Skinner or both would have to be delisted.

strebla
26-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Got to be a player for player. Our empty spots are drying up. If he comes in Panos, Skinner or both would have to be delisted.

Yeah agree here too was really keen on these two this time lays year but neither seem to have the tools to get the job done .

G-Mo77
26-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah agree here too was really keen on these two this time lays year but neither seem to have the tools to get the job done .

Personally I'd like to see them get another season but I think they'll be squeezed from the list. We've got to "ease the squeeze" and find homes for Sherman and Vez. 2 hours to do it.

bornadog
27-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Matthew Bate hopes to continue his AFL career elsewhere next season after the Demons decided not to offer him a contract for 2013.

Bate was one of eight players let go by Melbourne on Saturday, including Ricky Petterd, Jamie Bennell, Lucas Cook, Liam Jurrah

and to think we were trying to trade for him last year

azabob
27-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Wonder what happened to Pettard? Or again a case of half a good year? Melbourne well and truly have mucked up drafting, trading and development.

bornadog
27-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Wonder what happened to Pettard? Or again a case of half a good year? Melbourne well and truly have mucked up drafting, trading and development.

its a complete clean out

Raw Toast
27-10-2012, 04:19 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if we do go after Bate. He's got clear deficiencies but we still really need forwards who lead up the flanks and it would also give us some more options with Murphy (and dare I say it, Grant).

jazzadogs
27-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we do go after Bate. He's got clear deficiencies but we still really need forwards who lead up the flanks and it would also give us some more options with Murphy (and dare I say it, Grant).
He was an unrestricted free agent, so I would have thought that if we wanted him, we would have already got him. Not in our target age-group.

Sockeye Salmon
27-10-2012, 04:41 PM

I don't know what was more amazing - that we offered pick 39 for him or the fact they didn't accept it!

bornadog
27-10-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't know what was more amazing - that we offered pick 39 for him or the fact they didn't accept it!

Nice to have Talia at 39:)

Remi Moses
27-10-2012, 07:08 PM

That would have been disasterous .

Hotdog60
27-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Petterd is interesting, he was looking like a very dangerous forward there for one season. Apparently hampered by injuries, would there be any interest at 24 years of age if he can get passed a medical.

Topdog
27-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Whats the deal with Jurrah now? Cant remember what happened in his court case

Happy Days
27-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Petterd is interesting, he was looking like a very dangerous forward there for one season. Apparently hampered by injuries, would there be any interest at 24 years of age if he can get passed a medical.

We don't need another inconsistent forward who can't kick for goal.

Remi Moses
27-10-2012, 10:12 PM

His work ethic has been questioned.
Not going to happen I wouldn't think

Ghost Dog
28-10-2012, 12:31 AM

Must play for an Adelaide club now. Family reasons.

AndrewP6
28-10-2012, 12:48 AM

He's been committed to stand trial, I believe in March 2013.. His management have said he still wants to play AFL, in SA.

Sedat
28-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Or lay no defensive pressure in our forward 50. Jurrah's defensive efforts make Gia and Higgins look like Jude Bolton by comparison.

AndrewP6
28-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Or lay no defensive pressure in our forward 50. Jurrah's defensive efforts make Gia and Higgins look like Jude Bolton by comparison.

I thought that comment was in regards to Petterd...

Sedat
28-10-2012, 01:12 AM
I thought that comment was in regards to Petterd...
Sorry you're right. I just noticed the post immediately before Happy Days' which was about Jurrah.

I also vote 'no' to Petterd. As HD mentioned, can't kick and is terribly inconsistent. Also injury prone and doesn't involve himself in the game often enough - he drifts in and out of games too much for my liking.

Topdog
28-10-2012, 08:26 AM
That was for Pettard not Jurrah. No one wants Jurrah.

Edit: Ahhhh page 2. Yeah was just interested in what happened to Jurrah with the trial, definitely don't want him!

chef
28-10-2012, 11:44 AM

There is a mention in the HS we are still after him.

bornadog
28-10-2012, 01:06 PM
There is a mention in the HS we are still after him.

If that's the case, then its goodbye Panos.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-10-2012, 09:53 AM
we are after Brent Prismall now too

always right
29-10-2012, 10:30 AM
we are after Brent Prismall now too

I don't rate him. List clogger.

Mantis
29-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't rate him. List clogger.

Yep.

Please don't go there.... he is no good.

Hotdog60
29-10-2012, 10:46 AM
From the Bombers web site:
Appeared to be cementing a position in the side after he played seven consecutive games for the Bombers in the middle of the year, but after twisting his knee in round 19 against Collingwood, Prismall underwent a second knee reconstruction, having had one on his other knee in 2008. The midfielder, who is capable of accumulating possessions, is expected to be back playing by mid-year.

Stats Ave/Game:

Kicks 10.7
Marks 4.8
H.Ball 9.2
Dis 19.9
Goals 0.4

Doesn't set the world on fire. The knees reco would have taken off some pace if he any.

G-Mo77
29-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Doesn't set the world on fire. The knees reco would have taken off some pace if he any.

From what I remember he's always been an in and under type player and was never that quick anyway.

Draft or just give this position to a rookie, signing Prismall is pointless.

stefoid
29-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I still reckon we are stacking the list with players who may not take us to a premiership, but are there to basically 'set the tone' for the young kids with talent who will.

Remi Moses
29-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Getting Prismall goes against their rhetoric .
Bring in our "own players" and a set age group!
I'm starting to worry about the coach to be honest.
Prismall is 26 with two knee recos!!

bornadog
29-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Getting Prismall goes against their rhetoric .
Bring in our "own players" and a set age group!
I'm starting to worry about the coach to be honest.
Prismall is 26 with two knee recos!!

I wouldn't be worrying until it comes true. I can't believe we would even think down this path.

Sedat
29-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I still reckon we are stacking the list with players who may not take us to a premiership, but are there to basically 'set the tone' for the young kids with talent who will.
Perhaps, but who is the talent currently on our list that will be there for our next premiership tilt? Prismall and Bate may not even improve our 15th placed list, let alone be around for the next premiership tilt, so I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is of bothering with either.

I love character as much as the next guy but talent and character are not mutually exclusive traits. I'm not particularly keen to see a team full of solid citizens if half of them can't hit the side of a barn door by foot or run out of sight in a London fog.

bornadog
29-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Aaron Edwards already in trouble for being drunk in a public place on Sunday morning.

China Dog
29-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I hope we steer clear of guys like Prismall, Bate, Pettard and Post. We don't need list cloggers like these. We would be better picking up younger guys like Ben Jacobs and Josh Toy, at least they can be developed for the longer term and not just fill holes for the next year or two like the frst group mentioned.

SlimPickens
29-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I hope we steer clear of guys like Prismall, Bate, Pettard and Post. We don't need list cloggers like these. We would be better picking up younger guys like Ben Jacobs and Josh Toy, at least they can be developed for the longer term and not just fill holes for the next year or two like the frst group mentioned.

Tend to agree with this although I'm not overly keen on Toy, would be wrapped if we endeavored to get Jacobs across in one of the drafts.

I don't see an issue with Prismal given the chance to come down and train with the club to see if he is worth a shot, much like we did with Austin last year. The other 3 you've mentioned I don't have much time for.

stefoid
30-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Perhaps, but who is the talent currently on our list that will be there for our next premiership tilt? Prismall and Bate may not even improve our 15th placed list, let alone be around for the next premiership tilt, so I'm not exactly sure what the purpose is of bothering with either.

I love character as much as the next guy but talent and character are not mutually exclusive traits. I'm not particularly keen to see a team full of solid citizens if half of them can't hit the side of a barn door by foot or run out of sight in a London fog.

I agree. But this sort of stuff is fiddling around the edges of the list -

Moles, Hooper, Mulligan OFF Stevens, Young, <whoever> ON

Its not sheep station stuff.

As long as we arent giving these types 3 years - sort the good ones and turn the other fringe players over ASAP, I reckon.

And we do need a certain amount of physically mature players on the list.

Im guessing we caved with Stevens over pick 44 because we want a crack at the 4th best player in the PSD.

Doc26
30-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Tend to agree with this although I'm not overly keen on Toy, would be wrapped if we endeavored to get Jacobs across in one of the drafts.

I don't see an issue with Prismal given the chance to come down and train with the club to see if he is worth a shot, much like we did with Austin last year. The other 3 you've mentioned I don't have much time for.

Is Jacobs worth our pick 22 ? Can't see any chance of him getting through to 44, whilst 22 may seem to be paying overs. The Pre-season draft might be our best chance of picking him up cheaply assuming he doesn't nominate for the National Draft although would see one of the other 3 before us taking him. Besides Tippett and where that ends up, Jacobs for mine would hold the most PSD currency.

LongWait
30-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Is Jacobs worth our pick 22 ? Can't see any chance of him getting through to 44, whilst 22 may seem to be paying overs. The Pre-season draft might be our best chance of picking him up cheaply assuming he doesn't nominate for the National Draft although would see one of the other 3 before us taking him. Besides Tippett and where that ends up, Jacobs for mine would hold the most PSD currency.

I'm assuming Tippett and Jacobs would nominate for the PSD rather than the ND. They will surely want to identify their required salary, rather than be drafted at the base salary?

Mantis
30-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm assuming Tippett and Jacobs would nominate for the PSD rather than the ND. They will surely want to identify their required salary, rather than be drafted at the base salary?

Didn't Luke Ball when drafted by Coll in the ND put a price on his head?

Mofra
30-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Didn't Luke Ball when drafted by Coll in the ND put a price on his head?
Yes - previously listed players can nominate a salary pre-draft and clubs must abide my it.
Ball nominated a $500k price that was paid only in the first season.

LongWait
30-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes - previously listed players can nominate a salary pre-draft and clubs must abide my it.

OK - thanks for clarifying that Mofra and Mantis.

G-Mo77
30-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Also refused to talk to any other clubs that were interested and sent word via his manager not to pick him. Apparently that was all above board. :rolleyes:

bornadog
30-10-2012, 05:33 PM
ESSENDON has announced Kyle Reimers and Sam Lonergan have not been offered playing contracts for the 2013 season.

Macca will have his eye on these guys as well being ex Essendon.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Collingwood have had a real cleanout with 13 players traded or delisted.

This is what we needed at the end of 2010. Even this year we still haven't cut deep enough.

azabob
30-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Collingwood have had a real cleanout with 13 players traded or delisted.

This is what we needed at the end of 2010. Even this year we still haven't cut deep enough.

Assuming Panos is gone do you think only Vez and Skinner should've gone?

PS - I'm glad Vez is staying - Last chance saloon.

bornadog
30-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Assuming Panos is gone do you think only Vez and Skinner should've gone?

PS - I'm glad Vez is staying - Last chance saloon.

I would have cut both as well.

azabob
30-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Skinner should be gone, even though I'm a fan of Vez he is lucky to still be on our list.

soupman
30-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Me too.

This year should have been Veszpremi's last chance. He has shown that after many pre-seasons he still isn't fit enough, composed enough with it and able to get enough of it to impact matches.

bulldogsman
30-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't mind keeping Vez on the list as depth after the retirement of Hargrave and Gilbee.
Skinner really shouldn't be on list, but I had a feeling he would be.

Ghost Dog
30-10-2012, 11:01 PM
The new coach is no nonsense sort of bloke. If Zeph hasn't been delisted, that means he has done something right at the club. That's a win. Needs to take grabs and hold them. That's is what he's paid for.

ledge
31-10-2012, 08:39 AM
ZEph is probably on the list because I've heard he is one of the best at putting pressure and chasing in the forward line, look at a certain goal he got after 3 repeat efforts, I see his problem is he isn't holding his marks yet, still has hard hands but if he gets that right watch out.

ledge
31-10-2012, 08:43 AM
Me too.

This year should have been Veszpremi's last chance. He has shown that after many pre-seasons he still isn't fit enough, composed enough with it and able to get enough of it to impact matches.

Vez was moved back at Willy this year and is a great kick he has a football brain I would give him one more year.
From willy games I saw he was a leader as far as making sure the young players were doing what the coach wanted set up wise , I think he has a lot more to offer

Sockeye Salmon
31-10-2012, 09:17 AM
ZEph is probably on the list because I've heard he is one of the best at putting pressure and chasing in the forward line, look at a certain goal he got after 3 repeat efforts, I see his problem is he isn't holding his marks yet, still has hard hands but if he gets that right watch out.

That wasn't '3 repeat efforts', that was two fumbles before he picked it up!

Axe Man
31-10-2012, 10:46 AM
How will we now go about filling our list? We know there are 10 players off, with 3 already added to the list, leaving 7 vacant primary list spots. Surely we will use at least 4 national draft picks otherwise activating the Sam Reid compo pick (51) will have been pointless.

I'm thinking either:
A) 4 picks in the National Draft + 3 rookie upgrades or
B) 4 picks in the National Draft + 1 discard (either delisted free agent, National or Pre-Season Draft) + 2 rookie upgrades.

Bulldog4life
31-10-2012, 10:48 AM
How will we now go about filling our list? We know there are 10 players off, with 3 already added to the list, leaving 7 vacant primary list spots. Surely we will use at least 4 national draft picks otherwise activating the Sam Reid compo pick (51) will have been pointless.

I'm thinking either:
B) 4 picks in the National Draft + 1 discard (either delisted free agent, National or Pre-Season Draft) + 2 rookie upgrades.

B sounds like a good theory.

Ghost Dog
31-10-2012, 10:49 AM
That wasn't '3 repeat efforts', that was two fumbles before he picked it up!

At the time I thought he was going to be pinged for throwing the ball. It looked like he was throwing it in front of himself.
Skinner deserves another year and he got it. Well done kid.

KT31
31-10-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150521/default.aspx

bornadog
31-10-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150521/default.aspx

Well in many posts I mentioned we should be turning over at minimum ten players which we have, so generally happy with this although I still think Vez and Skinner should have been added. I hope they prove me wrong.

bornadog
31-10-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm thinking either:

I would go with A. I am not interested in discards. Lets stick to the plan DOGS.

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 12:14 PM
I would go with A. I am not interested in discards. Lets stick to the plan DOGS.
I think it depends on the age of the discard. Toy, Jacobs, Gillies all fit the age profile and have some AFL experience where they have all shown a bit. I think they still fit 'the plan'. Bate, Prismall, Petterd, Reimers I would have issues with.

I would also be happy with 5 picks in the ND and 2 rookies (JJ and Campbell; Jong, Austin, Greenwood, Redpath all to stay).

Bulldog4life
31-10-2012, 01:11 PM
I think it depends on the age of the discard. Toy, Jacobs, Gillies all fit the age profile and have some AFL experience where they have all shown a bit. I think they still fit 'the plan'. Bate, Prismall, Petterd, Reimers I would have issues with.

I would also be happy with 5 picks in the ND and 2 rookies (JJ and Campbell; Jong, Austin, Greenwood, Redpath all to stay).

Be surprised if all don't stay. Would think 2 if not 3 to be promoted.

F'scary
31-10-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm thinking either:

I am going with B) above as there are only 2 rookies who should be promoted onto the senior list: Johannisen and Jong. Campbell & Austin can be retained as rookies & promoted if there is a long-term injury to a ruck or a key position defender. It would be good to hold onto a pick for the PSD.

Also, I agree with BAD. We should have cut deeper with Vez, Gia (sorry, don't lynch me but that's my opinion even though he still managed 28 goals in 2012) & Skinner. Skinner could have been redrafted as a rookie to give him more development time.

jazzadogs
31-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Be surprised if all don't stay. Would think 2 if not 3 to be promoted.
Confirmed on the Bulldogs facebook that JJ and Campbell have been elevated to the senior list. Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150565/default.aspx)

EDIT: Also states that all remaining rookies will remain on the rookie list for 2013, meaning we will have no picks at the Rookie Draft.

F'scary
31-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Confirmed on the Bulldogs facebook that JJ and Campbell have been elevated to the senior list. Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/150565/default.aspx)

EDIT: Also states that all remaining rookies will remain on the rookie list for 2013, meaning we will have no picks at the Rookie Draft.

very interesting, thank you.

Throughandthrough
31-10-2012, 05:48 PM
to save me looking it up, is Mark Austin still a rookie or was he upgraded last year?

F'scary
31-10-2012, 05:52 PM
to save me looking it up, is Mark Austin still a rookie or was he upgraded last year?

Still a rookie.

ledge
31-10-2012, 08:13 PM
If we are wondering who would get dropped of our rookies isn't that a great thing that we have picked up good rookies?
Personally I am glad we have kept them they have all showed they can play.
We did well in the rookie draft last year what does that say about our list manager recruiters and coachs choices considering last year was their first(besides recruiters)

LostDoggy
31-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if we pick up Toy tomorrow as an unlisted free agent.

chef
01-11-2012, 07:25 AM

Has he been delisted?

Hotdog60
01-11-2012, 07:31 AM
From the AFL site:

JOSH Toy is officially on the hunt for a new club after Gold Coast delisted him on Wednesday.

chef
01-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Thanks.

Axe Man
01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Mark Stevens still linking us with Prismall is a little worrying, from twiitter earlier:

Prismall future still unclear .. Even though training today ... Will know if cut in 2 weeks .. Dogs in pre-season draft loom

Surely we would prefer Toy (or Jacobs if he leaves Port) over Prismall?

azabob
01-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Mark Stevens still linking us with Prismall is a little worrying, from twiitter earlier:

Surely we would prefer Toy (or Jacobs if he leaves Port) over Prismall?

Agree on Prismall, but I'd prefer him over Toy.

turtle
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I would love to get Jacobs. Think he would add a lot to the club, 2 years in the system and played a good amount of senior footy. Further strengthens the midfield.

LongWait
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM

It seems that Toy was offered a contract by Gold Coast, which I understand means he is not a Free Agent. He will have to nominate for the draft or pre-season draft.

Sockeye Salmon
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
It seems that Toy was offered a contract by Gold Coast, which I understand means he is not a Free Agent. He will have to nominate for the draft or pre-season draft.

Incorrect. Toy was delisted and as such can be signed as a free agent

KT31
01-11-2012, 06:24 PM

From the AFL site:

JOSH Toy is officially on the hunt for a new club after Gold Coast delisted him on Wednesday.

Both can't be correct, does anyone know which one is ?

chef
01-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Found this list of FA's elsewhere.

Brad Symes (Adel) 27, 80
Will Young (Adel) 22, 2

Josh Dyson (BL) 21, 1
Brad Harvey (BL) 20, 0
James Hawksley (BL) 23, 32
Bryce Retzlaff (BL) 21, 11
Sam Sheldon (BL) 23, 43
Cheynee Stiller (BL) 26, 100

Paul Bower (Carl) 24, 70

Blake Bray (Carl) 20, 0
Mitch Carter (Carl) 21, 0
Andrew Collins* (Carl) 23, 11
Nick Heyne (Carl)22, 3

Rohan Kerr (Carl) 20, 0

Matthew Lodge (Carl) 19, 0
Bret Thornton (Carl) 28, 181

Simon Buckley (Coll) 25, 26
Jonathon Ceglar (Coll) 21, 0
Paul Cribbin (Coll) 20, 0
Daniel Farmer (Coll) 20, 0
Shae McNamara (Coll) 27, 0
Luke Rounds (Coll) 21, 6
Lachlan Smith (Coll) 19, 0
Trent Stubbs (Coll) 20, 0
Kirk Ugle (Coll) 20, 3
Cameron Wood (Coll) 25, 48

Brendan Lee (Ess) 25, 2
Sam Lonergan (Ess) 25, 79
Anthony Long (Ess) 21, 0
Kyle Reimers (Ess) 23, 60
Michael Ross (Ess) 21, 2

Gavin Roberts (Fre) 21, 0
Jay van Berlo (Fre) 24, 32
Jordan Wilson-King (Fre) 19, 0

Tom Gillies (Geel) 22, 13
Jonathan Simpkin (Geel) 25, 4
Orren Stephenson (Geel) 30, 8

Piers Flanagan (GC) 20, 3
Sam Iles (GC) 25, 26
Hayden Jolly (GC) 20, 6
Alik Magin (GC) 21, 8
Lewis Moss (GC) 20, 0
Josh Toy (GC) 20, 13

Stephen Clifton (GWS) 25, 5
Rhys Cooyou (GWS) 21, 1
Tim Segrave (GWS) 20, 0

Jarrad Boumann (Haw) 23, 2
Michael Osborne* (Haw) 30, 163
Adam Pattison (Haw) 26, 66
Tom Schneider (Haw) 20, 0

Matthew Bate (Melb) 25, 102
Jamie Bennell (Melb) 22, 57
Lucas Cook (Melb) 20, 0
Liam Jurrah (Melb) 24, 36
Ricky Petterd (Melb) 24, 54
Jai Sheahan (Melb) 19, 0
Leigh Williams (Melb) 22, 0

Matt Campbell (NM) 25, 82
Cruize Garlett (NM) 23, 32
Malcolm Lynch (NM) 24, 2
Brad Mangan (NM) 21, 0
Ben McKinley (NM) 25, 48
Ben Speight (NM) 22, 10
Gavin Urquhart (NM) 24, 41
Ben Warren (NM) 23, 29

Mitch Banner (PA) 22, 19
Mitch Curnow (PA) 20, 0
Jarrad Irons (PA) 20, 3
Simon Phillips (PA) 25, 9
Steven Salopek (PA) 27, 121
Jacob Surjan (PA) 27, 121
Daniel Webb (PA) 23, 0

Andrew Browne (Rich) 22, 12
Dean MacDonald (Rich) 20, 0
Addam Maric (Rich) 22, 31
Gibson Turner (Rich) 19, 0
Jeromey Webberley (Rich) 24, 16
Piva Wright (Rich) 19, 0

Warrick Andreoli (StK) 20, 0
Daniel Archer (StK) 21, 1
Raph Clarke (StK) 27, 85
Sam Crocker (StK) 20, 0
Jason Gram (StK) 28, 154
Brett Peake (StK) 29, 118
Dean Polo (StK) 26, 77

Nathan Gordon (Syd) 22, 2
Eugene Kruger (Syd) 21, 0
Jack Lynch (Syd) 19, 0
Dylan McNeil (Syd) 21, 0
Brett Meredith (Syd) 23, 16
Jarred Moore (Syd) 26, 68
Mark Seaby (Syd) 28, 120

Anton Hamp (WCE) 20, 0
Michael Mascoulis (WCE) 19, 0
Ryan Neates (WCE) 21, 0
Callum Papertalk (WCE) 20, 0
Andrew Strijk (WCE) 25, 13
Gerrick Weedon (WCE) 21, 1

Tom Hill (WB) 21, 0
Andrew Hooper (WB) 21, 7
Brodie Moles (WB) 26, 17
James Mulligan (WB) 23, 3
Matt Panos (WB) 21, 0
Justin Sherman (WB) 25, 138

Sedat
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That list is a real rogue's gallery of assorted spuds. Not too many players worth looking at from our perspective IMO (even though we are allegedly looking at a few of them).

The interesting one is Brett Meredith from Sydney - the master traders gave up Schneider and Dempster to get this selection - even Sydney stuff up a few trades.

westdog54
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That list is a real rogue's gallery of assorted spuds. Not too many players worth looking at from our perspective IMO (even though we are allegedly looking at a few of them).

The interesting one is Brett Meredith from Sydney - the master traders gave up Schneider and Dempster to get this selection - even Sydney stuff up a few trades.

There's one or two Eker's on the list as well:D

Can remember Matthew Lloyd giving Will Young the Best on Ground TV on Ten's coverage for a single-figure possession game on Harry O a couple of years back. The look that Steve Quartermain gave him was priceless.

Sedat
01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
There's one or two Eker's on the list as well:D
Should be several poor to average careers get revived over the next couple of weeks.

comrade
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
After a few years in the wild, I think it's time for Jarrad Boumann to come home.

Anyone? :D

AndrewP6
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
After a few years in the wild, I think it's time for Jarrad Boumann to come home.

To work in The Pound? :D

bornadog
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM

You still haven't given up on him:D

chef
02-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Found this list of FA's elsewhere.

Brad Symes (Adel) 27, 80
Will Young (Adel) 22, 2

Josh Dyson (BL) 21, 1
Brad Harvey (BL) 20, 0
James Hawksley (BL) 23, 32
Bryce Retzlaff (BL) 21, 11
Sam Sheldon (BL) 23, 43
Cheynee Stiller (BL) 26, 100

Paul Bower (Carl) 24, 70

Blake Bray (Carl) 20, 0
Mitch Carter (Carl) 21, 0
Andrew Collins* (Carl) 23, 11
Nick Heyne (Carl)22, 3

Rohan Kerr (Carl) 20, 0

Matthew Lodge (Carl) 19, 0
Bret Thornton (Carl) 28, 181

Simon Buckley (Coll) 25, 26
Jonathon Ceglar (Coll) 21, 0
Paul Cribbin (Coll) 20, 0
Daniel Farmer (Coll) 20, 0
Shae McNamara (Coll) 27, 0
Luke Rounds (Coll) 21, 6
Lachlan Smith (Coll) 19, 0
Trent Stubbs (Coll) 20, 0
Kirk Ugle (Coll) 20, 3
Cameron Wood (Coll) 25, 48

Brendan Lee (Ess) 25, 2
Sam Lonergan (Ess) 25, 79
Anthony Long (Ess) 21, 0
Kyle Reimers (Ess) 23, 60
Michael Ross (Ess) 21, 2

Gavin Roberts (Fre) 21, 0
Jay van Berlo (Fre) 24, 32
Jordan Wilson-King (Fre) 19, 0

Tom Gillies (Geel) 22, 13
Orren Stephenson (Geel) 30, 8

Piers Flanagan (GC) 20, 3
Sam Iles (GC) 25, 26
Hayden Jolly (GC) 20, 6
Alik Magin (GC) 21, 8
Lewis Moss (GC) 20, 0
Josh Toy (GC) 20, 13

Stephen Clifton (GWS) 25, 5
Rhys Cooyou (GWS) 21, 1
Tim Segrave (GWS) 20, 0

Jarrad Boumann (Haw) 23, 2
Michael Osborne* (Haw) 30, 163
Adam Pattison (Haw) 26, 66
Tom Schneider (Haw) 20, 0

Matthew Bate (Melb) 25, 102
Jamie Bennell (Melb) 22, 57
Lucas Cook (Melb) 20, 0
Liam Jurrah (Melb) 24, 36
Ricky Petterd (Melb) 24, 54
Jai Sheahan (Melb) 19, 0
Leigh Williams (Melb) 22, 0

Matt Campbell (NM) 25, 82
Cruize Garlett (NM) 23, 32
Malcolm Lynch (NM) 24, 2
Brad Mangan (NM) 21, 0
Ben McKinley (NM) 25, 48
Ben Speight (NM) 22, 10
Gavin Urquhart (NM) 24, 41
Ben Warren (NM) 23, 29

Mitch Banner (PA) 22, 19
Mitch Curnow (PA) 20, 0
Jarrad Irons (PA) 20, 3
Simon Phillips (PA) 25, 9
Steven Salopek (PA) 27, 121
Jacob Surjan (PA) 27, 121
Daniel Webb (PA) 23, 0

Andrew Browne (Rich) 22, 12
Dean MacDonald (Rich) 20, 0
Addam Maric (Rich) 22, 31
Gibson Turner (Rich) 19, 0
Jeromey Webberley (Rich) 24, 16
Piva Wright (Rich) 19, 0

Warrick Andreoli (StK) 20, 0
Daniel Archer (StK) 21, 1
Raph Clarke (StK) 27, 85
Sam Crocker (StK) 20, 0
Jason Gram (StK) 28, 154
Brett Peake (StK) 29, 118
Dean Polo (StK) 26, 77

Nathan Gordon (Syd) 22, 2
Eugene Kruger (Syd) 21, 0
Jack Lynch (Syd) 19, 0
Dylan McNeil (Syd) 21, 0
Brett Meredith (Syd) 23, 16
Jarred Moore (Syd) 26, 68
Mark Seaby (Syd) 28, 120

Anton Hamp (WCE) 20, 0
Michael Mascoulis (WCE) 19, 0
Ryan Neates (WCE) 21, 0
Callum Papertalk (WCE) 20, 0
Andrew Strijk (WCE) 25, 13
Gerrick Weedon (WCE) 21, 1

Tom Hill (WB) 21, 0
Andrew Hooper (WB) 21, 7
Brodie Moles (WB) 26, 17
James Mulligan (WB) 23, 3
Matt Panos (WB) 21, 0
Justin Sherman (WB) 25, 138

Off the list as he's signed with Hawthorn.

Throughandthrough
09-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Reported in teh media Ben Jacobs has quit the Power and will nominate for the psd

The Underdog
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Reported in teh media Ben Jacobs has quit the Power and will nominate for the psd

Article I read said he was nominating for the ND, which would reduce any shot we'd have at him.

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Article I read said he was nominating for the ND, which would reduce any shot we'd have at him.

If he went in the ND we could probably still get him, he would just cost us pick 22

The Underdog
09-11-2012, 11:42 AM
If he went in the ND we could probably still get him, he would just cost us pick 22

Which is way less appetising than pick 4 in the PSD. I'd be surprised if we spent 22 on him which means it's almost zero chance we'd be able to pick him up. I imagine he figures this is a surer bet to get to North with teams less likely to spend a sub 30 pick on him.

Sockeye Salmon
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Which is way less appetising than pick 4 in the PSD. I'd be surprised if we spent 22 on him which means it's almost zero chance we'd be able to pick him up. I imagine he figures this is a surer bet to get to North with teams less likely to spend a sub 30 pick on him.

I absolutely think someone will pay sub-30 for him. North have 38 - no chance.

chef
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I absolutely think someone will pay sub-30 for him. North have 38 - no chance.

Collingwood with 3 first rounders would have to be a huge chance to pick him up.

GVGjr
09-11-2012, 11:28 PM

I agree and he would be a nice addition for us. North couldn't really select him with their first pick.

I still wonder if Matthew Bate still holds some interest for us because I can't see us taking two players with AFL experience.

F'scary
10-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree and he would be a nice addition for us. North couldn't really select him with their first pick.

I still wonder if Matthew Bate still holds some interest for us because I can't see us taking two players with AFL experience.

An astute Dees supporter gave this assessment:

He is an excellent...reserves player.

LostDoggy
14-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Noticed Brett Goodes was running around at training this morning.

bornadog
14-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Noticed Brett Goodes was running around at training this morning.

He is employed by the club to look after the indigenous players.

divvydan
14-11-2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/151096/default.aspx

The Western Bulldogs today announced the retirement of forward Zephaniah Skinner.

“Zephi, this morning, told his teammates that he will be retiring from AFL football and returning home to be with his family and community, where he feels a strong sense of responsibility."

LostDoggy
14-11-2012, 10:16 PM
He is employed by the club to look after the indigenous players.
Brett Goodes is player welfare officer, employed by the club to look after all of the players. He works alongside Chris Maple.

Go_Dogs
14-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Disappointing outcome, but there was always a big risk when we selected him.

The Pie Man
14-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Seems the club had some time for Zeph - I like many here didn't think he was going to make it, despite some glimpses of magic.

Seems a very nice guy - wish him all the best.

Oh and shame on some of our fans commenting on Facebook today in response to this news. Just sad :mad::(

Maddog37
14-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Not necessarily fans though are they.

azabob
14-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Wonder if the Skinner decision has been in the making or just announced? If out of the blue would Panos have stayed on the list?

JohnGentStand
14-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I was looking forward to seeing if another preseason would help Zeph lift a cog or two. Guess i will never know now. Lin Jong, you now have my full attention!!

Eastdog
14-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Good luck to Zeph Skinner in whatever he does next. Disappointed seeing him go but it was his decision in the end and we have to respect that. All focus will be now on the National Draft next week to see what young talent we get.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Wonder if the Skinner decision has been in the making or just announced? If out of the blue would Panos have stayed on the list?

That's a good point Aza but we could always redraft him.

It might open a spot for Bate or to promote Austin. Time will tell

ReLoad
14-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Good luck Zephi in your new life outside footy, you gave it a crack, I doubt we could have asked much more. Thank you for donning the tricolor.

Now the real question remains, we need a player with some sort of simpsons reference as we've now lost both Sideshow Bwian and Principal Skinner.

Remi Moses
14-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Seems the club had some time for Zeph - I like many here didn't think he was going to make it, despite some glimpses of magic.

Oh and shame on some of our fans commenting on Facebook today in response to this news. Just sad :mad::(

Always a long shot was Zeph.
Good luck to him

azabob
14-11-2012, 11:12 PM
That's a good point Aza but we could always redraft him.

It might open a spot for Bate or to promote Austin. Time will tell

Will be interesting what we do.

Wonder if we will stop drafting players from remote areas now Skinner, Schofield and Thorne haven't worked out in one way or another.

GVGjr
14-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Will be interesting what we do.

Wonder if we will stop drafting players from remote areas now Skinner, Schofield and Thorne haven't worked out in one way or another.

I don't like punting even with late picks. Thorne and Skinner were long shots but Schofield had proved himself as a junior footballer.

Ghost Dog
14-11-2012, 11:28 PM
How can you say Skinner hasn't worked out? If we can give Grant 6 seasons surely Skinner deserves a bit of another go before he's considered gonski.

Sherman delisted but Skinner still there. Think about that. Must be doing something right.

soupman
14-11-2012, 11:40 PM
How can you say Skinner hasn't worked out? If we can give Grant 6 seasons surely Skinner deserves a bit of another go before he's considered gonski.

Sherman delisted but Skinner still there. Think about that. Must be doing something right.

You are aware Skinner retired today yeah?

EasternWest
14-11-2012, 11:57 PM

I, like many didn't think he would cut it at the top level, so in that regard I'm not disappointed with the news.

But good luck to him. I agree he seemed like a likeable young man, and I applaud the fact that he has made his announcement in time for us to be able to fill his spot.

Good luck in future Zeph.

The Pie Man
15-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Not necessarily fans though are they.

Good point - I hope not

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 12:09 AM
You are aware Skinner retired today yeah?

No I wasn't. I defended him all year and then he goes and quits on me!!
:D

G-Mo77
15-11-2012, 01:56 AM

Real shame isn't it. Thought I was back in the 80's for a moment there. Surely there is an option to block some of these clowns from the main FB page completely. Makes us all look very bad. :(

Can we promote another rookie? Would prefer we gave Jong the place on the list and roll the dice in the rookie draft.

jeemak
15-11-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't like punting even with late picks. Thorne and Skinner were long shots but Schofield had proved himself as a junior footballer.

If anything it's a time to reflect on our ability to maintain relationships with people from these areas and develop them. I suppose we're probably no more hit and miss than most other clubs, though in recent times our experiences and effort with indigenous footballers have resulted in many if not all leaving the club for one reason or another.

I think we have a lot of work to do in this area. Results almost speak for themselves.

Dry Rot
15-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Real shame isn't it. Thought I was back in the 80's for a moment there. Surely there is an option to block some of these clowns from the main FB page completely. Makes us all look very bad. :(

Can we promote another rookie? Would prefer we gave Jong the place on the list and roll the dice in the rookie draft.

Had a quick squizz and I suspect that the worst FB shit has now been removed.

However, anyone that spends time on FB or takes it seriously has had at least a lobotomy or serious shock treatment, or has a dreadfully low IQ.

jeemak
15-11-2012, 02:35 AM
I sometimes wonder why I even bother with the FB page.

Social media is great, but just like every other medium known to man it is a fair chance of being overtaken by ignorant dickheads.

Remi Moses
15-11-2012, 02:42 AM
That's the problem with social media, it's just emphasising how many nut job morons there are out there.

Eastdog
15-11-2012, 02:52 AM

Social media is great, but just like every other medium known to man it is a fair chance of being overtaken by ignorant dickheads.

Absolutely jeemak. Facebook is great to keep in touch with friends and all but there are just some stupid idiots on facebook who make stupid comments and they really need to take a hard look at themselves.

hujsh
15-11-2012, 06:54 AM
If anything it's a time to reflect on our ability to maintain relationships with people from these areas and develop them. I suppose we're probably no more hit and miss than most other clubs, though in recent times our experiences and effort with indigenous footballers have resulted in many if not all leaving the club for one reason or another.

I think we have a lot of work to do in this area. Results almost speak for themselves.

The only two players we've developed in the last decade who are Aboriginal (Hill and Harbrow by my count) left the club. Would any club have a worse recent record?

AndrewP6
15-11-2012, 08:37 AM
The only two players we've developed in the last decade who are Aboriginal (Hill and Harbrow by my count) left the club. Would any club have a worse recent record?

Jones is still there.

Maddog37
15-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Richmond, Melbourne.

They are players. Players come and go no matter what their background is.

The problem is we take speculative swipes at outrageously talented bush footballers and expect miracles. Fool me once(Thorne) shame on you, fool me twice (Zeph) yaddayadda yadda.......

The Pie Man
15-11-2012, 10:04 AM

However, anyone that spends time on FB or takes it seriously has had at least a lobotomy or serious shock treatment, or has a dreadfully low IQ.

I know what this will sound like* - but I actually didn't see any of the comments - I don't look at our FB page, the few times I have were painful so I agree with you.

I saw some of the comments repeated on twitter** from a dogs fan (who I don't know, but is a quality account to follow) who shared my view of the nature of them.

* I always find it funny when someone gets offended by a book (for example) and then confesses to have not read it - there's no mistaking the context or whatever with what I saw repeated though

** Twitter can also be painful, but at least you can choose who to follow

Back to the thread - Austin, Jong or draft. Given he was a forward, and neither of the rookies mentioned are, they might go to the draft - if looking at balance / like for like.

The Pie Man
15-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Richmond, Melbourne.

The problem is we take speculative swipes at outrageously talented bush footballers and expect miracles. Fool me once(Thorne) shame on you, fool me twice (Zeph) yaddayadda yadda.......

Like Christian Macri (who I thought looked ok in his limited exposure to senior footy)

Ghost Dog
15-11-2012, 10:25 AM
There's a lot of Zeph slagging going on. Well he wasn't shown the door, he quit of his own choice. If he had it in him to make it to the top is debatable. What is not debatable is the fact Sherman and Moles and others were delisted while he was kept on. Speaks volumes. And all very well for blokes to pass judgement over an ipad and a cafe late. That kid comes from of the most disadvantaged sectors of society and grew up playing junior footy in bare feet. He needed more time to develop, and the pay off may have been there, and was clear he was doing SOMETHING right for a harsh taskmaster like BMAC to want him to stay.

bornadog
15-11-2012, 11:00 AM

That's the problem with social media, it's just emphasising how many nut job morons there are out there.

That's your opinion:D This world takes all kinds and we will never agree with all of them

jeemak
15-11-2012, 12:44 PM
That's your opinion:D This world takes all kinds and we will never agree with all of them

Mate, I rate FB on many levels. Any interest groups contained within though, particularly aligned with football clubs will attract undesirables.

Twitter certainly isn't for me, especially when what's posted on Twitter fills up newspapers!

Mofra
15-11-2012, 12:51 PM
On a personal level, good luck to Zephi.

On a football level, I really couldn;t see him making it long term so it's mutually beneficial that he's retired.

azabob
15-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Mate, I rate FB on many levels. Any interest groups contained within though, particularly aligned with football clubs will attract undesirables.

Twitter certainly isn't for me, especially when what's posted on Twitter fills up newspapers!

Interesting, Im the other way.

Don't have a facebook account, but have a twitter account.

Bulldog4life
15-11-2012, 01:19 PM

Agree entirely DR.

Sedat
15-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Richmond, Melbourne.

True, but then we took a 'moneyball' type option in Guy O'Keefe late in 2007 ND and that didn't work out either (due to f-wit factor of O'Keefe and his lack of commitment to addressing his physical limitations moreso than his talent level, which he could overcome at VFL level). Drafting continues to be an inexact science, but I concur that hail-mary plays like Skinner and Thorne are simply pissing draft picks (and more importantly, internal club resources and precious spots on the main list) down the drain.

The Underdog
15-11-2012, 02:19 PM
True, but then we took a 'moneyball' type option in Guy O'Keefe late in 2007 ND and that didn't work out either (due to f-wit factor of O'Keefe and his lack of commitment to addressing his physical limitations moreso than his talent level, which he could overcome at VFL level). Drafting continues to be an inexact science, but I concur that hail-mary plays like Skinner and Thorne are simply pissing draft picks (and more importantly, internal club resources and precious spots on the main list) down the drain.

In what sense was O'Keefe a "Moneyball" pick. Wasn't he just a reasonable junior footballer who didn't work out for the reasons you've listed?

Sedat
15-11-2012, 02:22 PM
In what sense was O'Keefe a "Moneyball" pick. Wasn't he just a reasonable junior footballer who didn't work out for the reasons you've listed?
A natural footballer with physical limitations (no tank, one-paced) that Clayton assumed he would be able to overcome once in the system. Certainly knew how to play the game as evidenced by his superior form at the lower level.

LostDog
15-11-2012, 02:29 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if we see Zeph playing in a local league in Perth, I spoke with him last year at the Crown Perth he was there with Brad Dick, Nathan Krakouer and one of the Jetta's.
Nathan is playing with Maddington under Derek Kickett lots of the Indigenous fellas from Perth want to play there Leon Davis is a regular there also.
Its a different culture in WA, I have strong ties with the Indigenous communities here in WA

EasternWest
15-11-2012, 02:58 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if we see Zeph playing in a local league in Perth, I spoke with him last year at the Crown Perth he was there with Brad Dick, Nathan Krakouer and one of the Jetta's.
Nathan is playing with Maddington under Derek Kickett lots of the Indigenous fellas from Perth want to play there Leon Davis is a regular there also.
Its a different culture in WA, I have strong ties with the Indigenous communities here in WA

Thanks LD. Let us know how he goes.

Raw Toast
15-11-2012, 10:10 PM

It has been better and worse in Perth than in Melbourne. Certainly back in the 80s and at least early 90s the racist abuse in the WAFL was greater than in Melbourne, at least that's what a number of Indigenous players said was their experience.

I think now though, there are better structures and support there than often here in Melbourne, for the Indigenous players from the North and West of Australia.

LostDog
15-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I am an Indigenous Employment Recruiter over here in WA, and the happy go lucky attitude of the indigenous people you just cant help, football or big paying jobs it doesnt matter as family is more important to them.
I am actually a tassie aboriginal and related to Liam Jones we didnt get taught much about our culture and were raised white so no issues of cultural stuff, but in WA its different all together.
I could have reported Nathan Krakouer was gonna walk before he did, early October in Bunbury there is a Indigenous Football Carnival all the Noongar, Wongai and Yamtiji footballers play in it even the AFL guys, from that weekend on its party time for the next few weeks, Nathan just kept partying (I am friends with his cousin) plus these guys are like gods in there communities.

GVGjr
15-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for sharing LD, really enjoyed reading that.

Eastdog
15-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I am an Indigenous Employment Recruiter over here in WA, and the happy go lucky attitude of the indigenous people you just cant help, football or big paying jobs it doesnt matter as family is more important to them.
I am actually a tassie aboriginal and related to Liam Jones we didnt get taught much about our culture and were raised white so no issues of cultural stuff, but in WA its different all together.
I could have reported Nathan Krakouer was gonna walk before he did, early October in Bunbury there is a Indigenous Football Carnival all the Noongar, Wongai and Yamtiji footballers play in it even the AFL guys, from that weekend on its party time for the next few weeks, Nathan just kept partying (I am friends with his cousin) plus these guys are like gods in there communities.

Nice reading that Lost Dog. Thanks for your insight on the Indigenous communities.

Maddog37
15-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks LD. interesting to read that type of info

jeemak
16-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Interesting stuff LostDog.

Thanks.

LostDog
19-11-2012, 01:36 PM
No worries fellas, it will be interesting next year now that the Dockers and Eagles have alligned themselves with WAFL Teams Peel and East Perth, lots of good Indig recruits will scatter about, more than likely Swan Districts