PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward's mum blasts AFL's big money

The Coon Dog
06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Stephen Drill - Herald Sun - 6 Sept

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/09/05/1226130/077544-callan-ward-family.jpg
Callan Ward's mother and sisters at home

CALLAN Ward's mum has accused the AFL of giving Greater Western Sydney ludicrous amounts of money to recruit players from struggling Melbourne clubs.

Kerri Ward said Bulldogs fans angry at her son's decision to move should direct their disappointment at the league as it pushed to expand the competition into rugby league heartland.

"In all honesty the days of the one-club player are really dying out, particularly when you have clubs being set up like this where they can come along and offer ludicrous amounts of money to play football," she said.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mum-blasts-afls-big-money/story-e6frf9jf-1226130065518)

Grantysghost
06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Imagine waking after a hangover from mad monday to this! Thanks Mum..... Nice to hear from a Ward at least, obvious the family weren't big fans of the club.

Desipura
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Kerrie, dont expect passionate supporters to be happy for your son to be chasing the $$$$. Just be quiet and drift away quietly.
Also, it is not your concern what sort of crowd we get at a round 24 fixture featuring 2 non finalists as well as it being against an opposition that has no supporters.

Mantis
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
How embarrassing for Callan.

And 'mum' there are still plenty of one club players around so don't make like there isn't.

BulldogBelle
06-09-2011, 10:39 AM
From reading these comments, C Ward & family - good riddance

Lets focus on getting decent compensation for the Rhodes scholar and let that be the end of this crap

Greystache
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
How embarrassing. :o

Let's give her some credit, at least she remembered she can stop regurgitating the party line of "he still hasn't decided yet and it's a really difficult decision..."

Prince Imperial
06-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Essendon supporters. At least next year they can get back to their usual habit of booing Stanton.

w3design
06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Ms Ward asked her son's critics to put themselves in his shoes and said fans needed to go to games and support their team if the club was to become a success.

"Eighteen thousand were at the game on Saturday, that's just ridiculous," she said.

"Where were all the Doggies supporters out saying goodbye to Barry Hall?"

I often put myself in their shoes. And I would play for $10,000 a year if I was a Bullodgs player.:D
And Ms Ward, maybe there would've been more supporters there, if they knew they didn't have to look at your son......:rolleyes:

Cyberdoggie
06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes it's the AFL's fault for tempting Callan with lots of money. How dare they lure him with his only weakness. $$$

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
At least we know where Callan got his "cement head" from.

w3design
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
At least we know where Callan got his "cement head" from.

She only has a "cement head" from the amount of make-up.....:eek:

ledge
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I can see her point with the money and as a parent, who likes their kids to get booed?
She is his mum she will always stick up for her son as all parents should no matter what the decision, I dont think she agrees with him going but has to accept it.
Is she a single parent if so she probably has struggled and its a great feeling to see your child do well.
To lose him being around home, its obvious to see that hurts.
Me myself I love the dogs but with the doubt of injury and ever being whats expected its a hard decision to make with the money being offered, in just 2 years he is a millionaire at 23.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Who gives a sh.. Why read the Herald sun?

Ghost Dog
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Who gives a sh.. Why read the Herald sun?

Congratulations Chops. Post of the day. You win a free membership for the GWS :D

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Ward was booed for disrespecting the guernsey.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
His sisters seem like a decent sort

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
His sisters seem like a decent sort

You'll find the youngest? (on the right) one is a regular at The Blamey Stone Yarraville.
Not sure why she goes there its a crap hole. If you don't mind a place full of losers and women swearing-go.
Saying that if you could get 1 decent pub in the western suburbs would be good.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Chops. Post of the day. You win a free membership for the GWS :D

I'm so over the whole thing.
He is gone, only worried about the compo now.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 02:31 PM
You'll find the youngest? (on the right) one is a regular at The Blamey Stone Yarraville.
Not sure why she goes there its a crap hole. If you don't mind a place full of losers and the women swearing-go.

Youngest = Callans' twin isn't it? If so, then i wonder what her nickname is?

Doc26
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
It takes two to tango Kerri. Sure, the AFL put the bait out there, the vast majority of fish swam by it, whilst your son took the bait and got caught. From this day forth I proclaim your boy to be known as Callan the toad fish.

Greystache
06-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Her comments remind me of a trashy mother standing outside the county court after her son has been convicted for a serious assault. "If the victim wasn't there that night none of this would've happened. I don't blame my son, I blame the victim for being there and causing this to happen. Now we don't have my son, and my children don't have their brother for the next few years, we're the victims here".

Bulldog4life
06-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Kerrie, dont expect passionate supporters to be happy for your son to be chasing the $$$$. Just be quiet and drift away quietly.
Also, it is not your concern what sort of crowd we get at a round 24 fixture featuring 2 non finalists as well as it being against an opposition that has no supporters.

Agree. After reading what Mrs. Ward said in the "Age" earlier this year I knew Ward was going and I also read about her family's total disdain for the Western Bulldogs too. You should have kept quiet mumma.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
The family is going to fly to all his games in Sydney....

Business Class No doubt

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I can understand most of her views being Callan's mum, can't understand the one about Bulldog supporters should not be upset with Callan. If he ever loved the club he would understand how and why supporters feel the way we do. Does she think we should be happy and thank him for everything he has done for the club. Maybe if he had been here 10 tears or more we might thank him, but someone only with us for 4 years all the thanks should be from him to the club for everythng they have done for him.

Remi Moses
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
I think his Mum teaches at my daughters school! Terribly embarrassing for Ward I would have thought. You'd assume there was a gun held at his head!Talk about sugar coating, basically lack of integrity runs in the family,maybe fans didn't want to witness a mercenary in ourcolors Mrs Ward!!

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Just read this -- she said she only found out yesterday. Does anyone really believe that his mum found out AFTER his teammates, the club, and WOOFers (ffs?)

Now we have clear evidence of his mum 'lying' as well. Anyone really still think that they weren't in on it?

ps. And if she didn't know until yesterday, then it has to be intentional (plausible deniability) because a lot of other people certainly already did.

Remi Moses
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Essendon supporters. At least next year they can get back to their usual habit of booing Stanton.

Gold! You forgot about constant whinging about umpires as well, in fact just constant whinging

Cyberdoggie
06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Not sure why she goes there its a crap hole. If you don't mind a place full of losers and women swearing-go.
Saying that if you could get 1 decent pub in the western suburbs would be good.

It is, but surprisingly vastly more classy than it used to be.

Doc26
06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Just read this -- she said she only found out yesterday. Does anyone really believe that his mum found out AFTER his teammates, the club, and WOOFers (ffs?)

Now we have clear evidence of his mum 'lying' as well. Anyone really still think that they weren't in on it?

ps. And if she didn't know until yesterday, then it has to be intentional (plausible deniability) because a lot of other people certainly already did.

Although based on his mum's latest shenanigans I could understand why he wouldn't tell any member of his family. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to be safely in the arms of Falou to get him through the ignominy of it all.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Although based on his mum's latest shenanigans I could understand why he wouldn't tell any member of his family. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to be safely in the arms of Falou to get him through the ignominy of it all.

This actually made me laugh. :)

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
B*tch, please.

mjp
06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Is she a single parent if so she probably has struggled and its a great feeling to see your child do well.

Let's just say that "It's complicated".

His Mum and Dad live around the corner from one-another.

Ghost Dog
06-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Agree. After reading what Mrs. Ward said in the "Age" earlier this year I knew Ward was going and I also read about her family's total disdain for the Western Bulldogs too. You should have kept quiet mumma.

Really? where was that written?

He's history. anyway.
refered to as Ca$$an in all posts henceforth.

I'd be lying low if my Mother was in a major newspaper, trying to defend me.

Now Ca$$an Ward is not the issue; what do we get for him.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
No use her blaming anyone other than her own son. The AFL didn't make the decision for Callan ..... he made the choice himself.

Ultimately he valued money over leaving his family, team mates and club loyalty. Nothing else can be read into the situation.

Grantysghost
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM

He's history. anyway.

I'm been using Callan Wad but both are acceptable :D

Bulldog4life
06-09-2011, 09:01 PM

He's history. anyway.

I'd be lying low if my Mother was in a major newspaper, trying to defend me.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-20110624-1gjno.html#ixzz1XAGIP0tE

Callan Ward isn't short on advisers on his football future. But despite an ''offer too good to refuse'' from GWS, he may yet stick with the Bulldogs.

HERE'S a taste of what people think Callan Ward should do, and goodness knows there's been no shortage of folk - some of whom even know him - offering to help make the biggest decision of his young life …

Tired of fielding questions about whether her son is going to Greater Western Sydney, Kerri Ward recently ran his dilemma by her grade fives in their persuasive writing class. Many at the Williamstown school are Western Bulldogs fans, yet when they heard what was being offered, the classroom could have been a live audience at a TV game show - ''Take the money! Go!''

Ward met GWS officials for a second time early this week, and a five-year offer of lottery-win proportions was laid out; bells, whistles, carrots and all. People baulk at voicing figures with so many zeroes in them; it almost sounds dirty. Suffice to say, a recent claim that he would sacrifice as much as $2 million over five years to stay a Bulldog now appears quite conservative.

Advertisement: Story continues below To underscore the ''once-in-a-lifetime, call-now-or-miss-out'' nature of the game, the Giants asked for an answer within a fortnight. Come to the promised land now, my son, or the gates will forever be closed.

Callan Ward is 21, an extremely promising and popular young footballer of great courage and skill. Last weekend, he played his 50th game. He is also a modern rarity: reared in the inner-west surrounded by diehard Bulldogs (although he barracked for Essendon), a draft that might have sent him across the country delivered Ward to an AFL club he could walk to.

Now, he is a pawn in Andrew Demetriou's quest to storm a new frontier. Whatever it takes, GWS will work, and it will work fast. Untold riches, cutting-edge facilities, premierships - all this and more will be yours.

Less than four years ago, The Saturday Age met Ward in the modest Yarraville house he shared with his mum and two of his three sisters. Dad Greg lived nearby. Callan and his mate ''Jimma'' Hynes, friends since prep, were just in from school, having hopped off the train at Spotswood and walked home through Westgate Golf Course - because there were plenty of targets for Cal to kick his footy at along the way.

A few days later, all rejoiced when he became a Bulldog, not least Jimma, a Dogs member for a decade. Ward earned just under $50,000 in his first season.

His wage has risen sufficiently that a year ago he bought a house in Altona North, which he shares with teammates Christian Howard and Sam Reid. He has a dog and a second-hand Commodore, and is happier than he could have imagined.

And now, everywhere he turns, people tell him he could be even happier. And that GWS will make that happen.

They tell him it's now or never, that the start-up rules the AFL has put in place won't be around if he signs a two-year deal with the Dogs and keeps the option open of joining the Giants when the difficult baby steps will have been taken, and they are closer to delivering on the Demetriou dream. But by then, the big bucks will be used to keep Jonathan Patton, Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar and others from going elsewhere, not to lure Callan Ward and Tom Scully into the fold.

''There's only one Kerry Packer, one Channel Nine deal,'' one observer said this week.

They tell him, too, that the riches won't just be evident in his bank balance. He'll soon experience the ultimate football happiness - premiership success. No. 1 draft picks, 17-year-olds traded for first-round selections, the underwriting of the league that the biggest untapped market, in the biggest city in the land will conquer all.

''Imagine being a player, 21 years old, going up to that club for a meeting, and they rattle off the numbers - what picks they've got, what types of players that will convert to - imagine what that team is going to look like in a matter of only three years,'' another close watcher says. ''You'd get back on the plane going, 'Oh my God, it's going to be unbelievable! And not only is it going to be unbelievable, but I'm going to be paid an unbelievable amount of money, too!' ''

Kerri Ward isn't angry that her only son has been put in an impossible position, torn between the club and people he loves, and the untold riches of GWS.

She knows he will have to make difficult decisions in life, perhaps none harder than this, and that it will shape his character.

''Whatever he does, he has to really look deep into himself and say, 'Bottom line, I have to make this decision - what do I want to do?'''

She knows he will be comfortable either way, better off than all but a blessed few 21-year-olds, should he follow his heart and stay with the Dogs. Yet she knows he would be happy if he went, too.

The inequity of the scenario annoys her, that no club could compete with a football version of Robert Redford's Indecent Proposal. The length of the commitment is troubling, too.

She worries that if he doesn't go, he'll live to regret it; that if he does, fans will turn on him. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. She has little time for the oft-spouted notion of ''setting yourself up for life'', as if a footballer's goal in life is to never work beyond the age of 32.

It staggers Kerri how many Bulldogs supporters love her son, and she knows that only compounds the load on his mind. ''I don't want him to stay because he thinks that's the right thing to do. I don't want him to think, 'I'm letting everybody down'. That wouldn't be fair.''

Others who know her son think he's just the sort of person who might say no. Who might think, how much money is enough? Who might believe the football club he is at can right itself, can yet deliver him the ultimate happiness. Who recognises that the weekly Wednesday parma nights with his old school mates are part of who he is.

And there are others who counter that Gary Ablett leaving Geelong legitimised taking the money and running, that there's no such thing as loyalty any more. And others still who believe Callan Ward is the sort of person who might say, ''Maybe it's time I brought it back''.

Kerri Ward was reading a story recently about Sunrise host Melissa Doyle's pay going up to $700,000 a year, and found herself thinking, ''Callan could be getting more than that''.

She knows this is crazy money, but when the game's governing body trumpets a TV rights deal like it's a medical breakthrough, would saying no really change the landscape? Would her grade fives be impressed, or would they just think, ''He's mad''.

When Callan and his twin sister Aysha were little, and the Wards would get together with Footscray-following friends, their dad would ask them, ''What do the Bulldogs do?'' And the kids would answer, ''The Bulldogs break your heart''.

How sad it is that by simply doing what everyone says he'd be a fool not to do, Callan Ward could do just that.

Disdain might be too strong of a word GD but they were Essendon supporters....that's enough for me.:)

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-20110624-1gjno.html#ixzz1XAGIP0tE

Interesting, hadn't read that article.

All that (the parma nights, the club he 'loves', the mates) and it isn't enough. To me, that speaks volumes for the person he really is. :mad:

LoveWillMinson
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
So disappointed in Cal mums remarks about Dog Supporters! There might have only been 18,000 supporters but we were pretty loud when we love our players! Did u hear us chant Barry! Good Luck with type of support at GWS!

I am just hanging to see Liam Picken line up on him when we play GWS next year..Go Dogs!!

azabob
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
A teacher hey? And she is in charge of moulding our future minds......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Firstly I am extremely disappointed that Callan has left, and I think in time he may regret it.
However really some of the comments here are just ludicrous and are frankly embarrassing to the authors.

People can harp on about how they would play for the club for pocket change if they had to (total bollocks!), and can make snide remarks about his mum or how playing him on the weekend was a dishonour to the club etc. That to me says volumes more about your tenuous grasp of reality/decency than Cal's decision to leave the club says about his character.

It seems some here have no problem bagging a player, or wishing that the club should turf them or trade them or that they should never play for the a club again, when it suits them, or whenever they think the player has outlive their usefulness. But heaven forbid a player should decide to make their own choice to go elsewhere, then they are the scum of the earth.

Grow up.

I understand being a passionate supporter/member, and being disappointed in losing someone who we would like to keep at the club. But being a paid up member it doesn't give anyone a license to act as a moron.

It's one thing to be disappointed in Callan's decision, but no one here is in full possession of all the facts. No one knows how difficult the decision was or wasn't for Cal to make, and evidently many of you here cannot empathise with a Mother's automatic action to defend her son.

As disappointed as I have been with the club of late in a number of areas, the decision to play him last weekend, was probably the most professional thing to do.
And to be honest, Cal's Mum is right, for only 18,000 odd to turn up to say goodbye to two heroes in Hudson and Hall, is a disgrace. And that says heaps more about the character of our supporters. Even Port managed to get over 22,000 to their game against Melbourne at home. If our supporters didn't turn up out of anger at the club playing Callan, well then they should be ashamed for cutting off their nose to spite their face and failing in their duty to farewell Hudson and Hall. They deserved better than that. So much for being passionate supporters.
Why are so many of you so keen to burn bridges?

Remi Moses
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Absolute nonsense^^
1) fans were going to a game where two also rans played ( interstate team with no fans)
2) what is the point of playing someone who has decided to walk
( tail wagging the dog in selecting Ward)
3) the continual lies and cloak and dagger activity that have occurred
(he'd signed months ago)
4) mum coming out ( cringeworthy)bagging the system, yet his manager rattled on the draft picks and not just the money( total lies, Ching Ching Ching Ching)
5) I'd be less offended if tomorrow he'd stared down the camera and just blurted out that he left for the vast fortune. No doubt we'll get more drivel and added salt to the wound.
6) Personally I won't resort to churlish comments on his family, but what I will say is if Mum's going to talk about events of the 70's ( Bernie leaving) a) the club was basically insolvent
B) you know you're struggling as a defense when you raise issues that occurred nearly friggin 40 years ago!!!!
Sorry to rattle on folks

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
A teacher hey? And she is in charge of moulding our future minds......

They're overrated ;)

Maddog37
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I think a big part os so many people lashing out is a result of a long, tough year and this is the last straw.

A feeling of helplessness that leads to anger which manifests in these type of threads.

azabob
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
They're overrated ;)

What year do you teach?

Ghost Dog
06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Right. The moderators have had their work cut out, hosing down a few flames on the Ca$$an Ward threads!

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 10:58 PM
What year do you teach?

Grade 4. And that was a joke. We're reeeaaaallllly undervalued and deserve far more money. But I wouldn't go to Blacktown to get it :)

AndrewP6
06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Firstly I am extremely disappointed that Callan has left, and I think in time he may regret it.
However really some of the comments here are just ludicrous and are frankly embarrassing to the authors.

People can harp on about how they would play for the club for pocket change if they had to (total bollocks!), and can make snide remarks about his mum or how playing him on the weekend was a dishonour to the club etc. That to me says volumes more about your tenuous grasp of reality/decency than Cal's decision to leave the club says about his character.

It seems some here have no problem bagging a player, or wishing that the club should turf them or trade them or that they should never play for the a club again, when it suits them, or whenever they think the player has outlive their usefulness. But heaven forbid a player should decide to make their own choice to go elsewhere, then they are the scum of the earth.

Grow up.

I understand being a passionate supporter/member, and being disappointed in losing someone who we would like to keep at the club. But being a paid up member it doesn't give anyone a license to act as a moron.

It's one thing to be disappointed in Callan's decision, but no one here is in full possession of all the facts. No one knows how difficult the decision was or wasn't for Cal to make, and evidently many of you here cannot empathise with a Mother's automatic action to defend her son.

As disappointed as I have been with the club of late in a number of areas, the decision to play him last weekend, was probably the most professional thing to do.
And to be honest, Cal's Mum is right, for only 18,000 odd to turn up to say goodbye to two heroes in Hudson and Hall, is a disgrace. And that says heaps more about the character of our supporters. Even Port managed to get over 22,000 to their game against Melbourne at home. If our supporters didn't turn up out of anger at the club playing Callan, well then they should be ashamed for cutting off their nose to spite their face and failing in their duty to farewell Hudson and Hall. They deserved better than that. So much for being passionate supporters.

I think a lot of the anger comes from the obvious "mistruths" surrounding the whole affair (hasn't made up his mind etc), and on Mrs Ward, for her to make those comments is just a bit rich, IMO - what gives her the right to make those sorts of disparaging remarks - be they right or wrong. If she was defending a 17-year old son, fair enough, but Ward is an adult, he can fend for himself.

On the topic of Ward playing on Saturday, my issue with that is particularly if he had decided and told some players as early as Wednesday. In my book, you do that, you sever your ties. If you've sworn allegiance to another club, you're no longer part of ours, and IMO not welcome. FWIW, I don't believe for a second that he decided post-game. I'm certain (as certain as any of us can be) that he'd decided and/or notified people prior to the weekend, and therefore should not have worn our colours.

On "burning bridges", if that's referring to Ward, I could care less what he thinks about us now. He took the money, turned his back, I'm turning mine.

Prince Imperial
06-09-2011, 11:57 PM
I actually didn't think the 18k crowd was that bad. Whilst Hudson and Hall have been terrific for us they played a combined total of only 6 years for the Dogs; neither was a 200-300 game club legend. Both teams were well out of the finals race and there was virtually no Freo supporters there (unsurprising in the circumstances). Our attendance was better than North's for the same game just a few weeks before when both they and Freo were were competing for a spot in the finals. We don't have a large supporter base like the Wards' Essendon and I don't think we should be bagged for that by Ms Ward especially in the circumstances when her son is leaving us for the gold of Greater Western Sheedy.

Comparisons with the Port crowd at the first ever AFL match at Adelaide Oval with the huge novelty attached are just not valid.

Desipura
07-09-2011, 07:07 AM
Grade 4. And that was a joke. We're reeeaaaallllly undervalued and deserve far more money. But I wouldn't go to Blacktown to get it :)

Good ones are undervalued. (not saying that you are not a good teacher) ;)
I did not realize how long the hours are until my wife qualified to become one a few years back. All the prep work after schools finished, man!
If I had known this when I was at school, I would have had a little more respect for my teachers.

Topdog
07-09-2011, 07:12 AM

No it wasn't it was absolutely stupid and completely unprofessional to treat your members as complete and utter morons. The club and Callan are at fault for the booing on Sat. If I had gone to the game I would have given it to him aswell. With us or against us.

Port played the first ever game at a new ground. Even Adelaide supporters went to that one. 18k against a side with no Victorian supporters, in Round 24 at the end of a terrible season and one which has left many supporters questioning if it is all worth it. Sounds about right to me.

Burning bridges? There is no chance he will come back and the club shouldn't even contemplate it if the opportunity to get him back arises.

BulldogBelle
07-09-2011, 12:15 PM
There is no chance he will come back and the club shouldn't even contemplate it if the opportunity to get him back arises.

He doesnt love the club, he loves the rub of the green...

We wont offer him that in 5 years time when his contract with the Jolly Western Sydney Giants is up.

He isnt Chris Judd so we shouldnt be worrying - he is perhaps our 3rd or 4th best midfielder at the moment, and Libba and Wallis will hopefully overtake him in 2012/2013

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Sure An$$ew ;)

You've only got a few months left mate. Just toe the line, make stuff up, throw a few bones and let the kids watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle re-runs on the scholl video player until Nov/Dec.

ledge
07-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Absolute nonsense^^
1) fans were going to a game where two also rans played ( interstate team with no fans)
2) what is the point of playing someone who has decided to walk
( tail wagging the dog in selecting Ward)
3) the continual lies and cloak and dagger activity that have occurred
(he'd signed months ago)
4) mum coming out ( cringeworthy)bagging the system, yet his manager rattled on the draft picks and not just the money( total lies, Ching Ching Ching Ching)
5) I'd be less offended if tomorrow he'd stared down the camera and just blurted out that he left for the vast fortune. No doubt we'll get more drivel and added salt to the wound.
6) Personally I won't resort to churlish comments on his family, but what I will say is if Mum's going to talk about events of the 70's ( Bernie leaving) a) the club was basically insolvent
B) you know you're struggling as a defense when you raise issues that occurred nearly friggin 40 years ago!!!!
Sorry to rattle on folks

Some of those players she mentioned left with the club agreeing to let them go as we either saw no value or had better players in those positions.

ledge
07-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I am confused is she upset her son is leaving or not?
Reading Wards article he made the decision after talking to his family so did she advise him to go up there, if so it must be because of the money, so whats her problem?

ledge
07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I think a lot of the anger comes from the obvious "mistruths" surrounding the whole affair (hasn't made up his mind etc), and on Mrs Ward, for her to make those comments is just a bit rich, IMO - what gives her the right to make those sorts of disparaging remarks - be they right or wrong. If she was defending a 17-year old son, fair enough, but Ward is an adult, he can fend for himself.

On the topic of Ward playing on Saturday, my issue with that is particularly if he had decided and told some players as early as Wednesday. In my book, you do that, you sever your ties. If you've sworn allegiance to another club, you're no longer part of ours, and IMO not welcome. FWIW, I don't believe for a second that he decided post-game. I'm certain (as certain as any of us can be) that he'd decided and/or notified people prior to the weekend, and therefore should not have worn our colours.

On "burning bridges", if that's referring to Ward, I could care less what he thinks about us now. He took the money, turned his back, I'm turning mine.

So your saying he cant play one last emotional game with which 2 of his mates were retiring to say good bye?
Bit like saying oh Barry you decided to retire half way through the year, your hearts not in it obviously, no we arent playing you.
He wanted to play. the team wanted him to play, the club wanted him to play, he is contracted to play.
Whoever puts on our jumper is a bulldog when they stop putting it on is when they arent, he had one last opportunity to play the game he loves with blokes he had played with since he started.
To me he stopped being our player after 5 pm on saturday until 5 pm he was one of us and i would cheer him.

SonofScray
07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Good on him for winning a huge contract. I won't hold it against him as players come and go, thats football in any way you look at it. Some players go out with pats on the back, others go out with a slap across the chops. I think the way the saga panned out, having fans feeling strung along and playing a disinterested final game for us sees him deserving of the jeers. I liked Raw Toast's summation in another thread - that footy is still a simple narrative in many ways, it is a story of us against them. Fans have every right to be dirty on him within that context and it is a real shame that many people have derided that feeling as 'stupidity' or 'moronic' behaviour. It is an authentic response from people who invest financially and emotionally in the Club they follow.

At the end of the day we want what is best for The Club, I don't think it is hypocritical at all to put individuals well down the list of priorities. We want what is best for the the Club, when it suits and have every right to. If I was a member of the Callan Ward Football Club I might give a rats about hat his mum thinks, or his bank balance. But I'm not. I'll follow something bigger that will be around a lot longer than those individuals.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Sure An$$ew ;)

You've only got a few months left mate. Just toe the line, make stuff up, throw a few bones and let the kids watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle re-runs on the scholl video player until Nov/Dec.

Damn it, you worked out my plan! ;)

Greystache
07-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I've spoken to AndrewP6's family, and I know for a fact he hasn't made his mind up yet and is wrestling with the decision. ;)

Ozza
07-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I've spoken to AndrewP6's family, and I know for a fact he hasn't made his mind up yet and is wrestling with the decision. ;)

I'm not saying that your source is wrong, Greystache, but I've been told he is DEFINITELY going, definitely signed.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm not saying that your source is wrong, Greystache, but I've been told he is DEFINITELY going, definitely signed.

:D This gag is taking on a life of it's own.

FWIW, I'm all about challenging myself. I currently live in south-eastern Melbourne. I might just find the highest bidding team based in another south-eastern suburb, and move there to prove to myself that I could live away from the south-east, by moving south-east. Yes, that'll help me.

If at any time I begin to feel uncomfortable, I'll pad my rear with the mountains of cash being offered up. When sadness creeps in, the $100 bills are great for wiping the tears away.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. I'm still nowhere near deciding, there are so many things to consider. I haven't told anyone anything - apart from my best mate's sister's boyfriend's cousin, who knows a guy that I talk to all the time.

AndrewP6
07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
So your saying he cant play one last emotional game with which 2 of his mates were retiring to say good bye?
Bit like saying oh Barry you decided to retire half way through the year, your hearts not in it obviously, no we arent playing you.
He wanted to play. the team wanted him to play, the club wanted him to play, he is contracted to play.
Whoever puts on our jumper is a bulldog when they stop putting it on is when they arent, he had one last opportunity to play the game he loves with blokes he had played with since he started.
To me he stopped being our player after 5 pm on saturday until 5 pm he was one of us and i would cheer him.

To paraphrase Monty Python: yes, that's the very nub of my gist. You sign with another team, swear allegiances to Breakfast Point, you're not welcome in a Bulldog jumper. The Barry example is different, Hall wasn't saying "I'm off somewhere else", just saying "I'm off".

We'll have to agree to disagree. In my book, the minute he decided/agreed in principle/signed on to be a Giant and then announced it to his teammates, he's one of "them", finished as a Dog and doesn't deserve the honour of pulling on our jumper. Sure, he might miss on a chance to play one last game with his mates - tough. IMO you forfeit any claim like that once you choose another team. Pay him his financial due, then point him towards Tullamarine.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
I rarely agree with much Patrick Smith writes, but I think he is on the money (pardon the pun) on this occasion.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/lying-is-footballs-second-language-and-clearly-its-biggest-blight/story-e6frg7mf-1226130897185

bornadog
08-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I rarely agree with much Patrick Smith writes, but I think he is on the money (pardon the pun) on this occasion.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/lying-is-footballs-second-language-and-clearly-its-biggest-blight/story-e6frg7mf-1226130897185

I like the last paragraph, it hits the nail on the head.

"Andrew Demetriou runs the AFL. He says the biggest threat to the game is a loss of confidence when the integrity of the game is challenged by betting and performance-enhancing drugs. He is wrong. The football industry lies 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and it is poisoning the game."

Doc26
08-09-2011, 11:49 AM

YHF, I couldn't disagree more strongly at Patrick Smith's and your own supporting sentiment.

Whilst I understand Ward's decision to move, for unprecedented dollars on offer, and now with the dust settling don't necessarily begrudge him of it, the fans of those Clubs effected should be given some latitude to grieve at what is a akin to the loss of someone close to the family. Afterall we are as supporters encouraged to invest emotionally and financially into what is akin to an extended family.

Why must we as supporters jump straight to rational thought and behaviour, why can't there be some room for a bit of emotion and if we must a touch of 'irrationality' until we're ready to move on, as we all will.

YKH, fine, if you like Smith wish to sit on your perch and frown down on supporters of Club's for wearing some raw emotion on their sleeves then good for you. I for one don't support it.

Ward himself knew that it was a difficult decision to make. I'm certain at least some part of that 'difficulty' would be based on how he might be regarded / perceived by his broader supporter base for jumping for the cash. In short, the Ward's themselves could hardly expect a red carpet, standing ovation exit.

That Patrick Smith should comment,
We have said before that football fans are frogs who hop about at the silliest and most unworthy of things. Ward's switch is an example. &
He should never have been criticised, never mind booed., shows not only a disconnection and disrespect to the emotional investment that worthy supporters of Club's put in heavily year in year out, it also sits at the extreme end of hypocrisy from him.

That Patrick Smith himself can so easily jump like a frog at the start of the season from his supposed Team, Essendon, and to Richmond of all Club's, simply because he didn't agree with the Essendon selection process shows a staggering degree of hypocrisy.

So it's all right for Smith to put his cane toad suit on when it effects him but when it comes to how supporters of Club's respond immediately following hearing the news of the loss of a young and exciting talent from an AFL headquarters inspired coup he then preaches that they must immediately remove all emotion from it and gracefully and with understanding send him on his way.

Get real. The game is what it is because of the passion and the raw emotion of its supporters, lets not sanitise the game more than it already has been.

Mofra
08-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Get real. The game is what it is because of the passion and the raw emotion of its supporters, lets not sanitise the game more than it already has been.
I don't that's all the game is. Personally I am a fan of the game itself, the athleticism of the players and the mental ability to push through multiple pain barriers simply to finish a single game (I would never deride a gut-runner as soft given how hard it is to keep pushing yourself when you are exhausted).

Yes the emotion should be kept in the game, and if fans want to vent their anger at Ward then they should, as much of the game is about a release of frustration (hence the traditional vitriol directed towards the "common enemy" - umpires) but the attraction to the game for many is multi faceted.

Heck, I'd argue that AFL is a reason AFL-dominated states are more passionate about sport than non-AFL states, although there are enough arguments on here already without getting inte the sematics of causality.

LostDoggy
08-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Hey Doc, I'm with you on this sentiment, but I think you missed the point of Patrick Smith's article. He's basically saying that lying makes us more rabid than necessary.

He's not arguing against passion per se, just that all this cloak and dagger shit ends up making victims of the wrong people. The AFL choosing to sweep everything under the carpet and lie basically made Callan take the fall by himself, rather than allowing us to vent our anger at a dishonest and disrespectful administration as well.

I mean, I'm pissed off (only a little bit) at Callan for taking the money, I'm more pissed off that we're all being taken for mugs.

ps. you know what though? At the end of the day, the mug punters keep fronting up and supporting Emperor Demetriou's empire, and in the big scheme of things, I don't want to waste my emotional energy on this. I'll keep giving the Dogs my money out of loyalty and tradition, but I'll be f***ed if I continue to waste my time and give a shit about where the game is going.

Maddog37
08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey Doc, I'm with you on this sentiment, but I think you missed the point of Patrick Smith's article. He's basically saying that lying makes us more rabid than necessary.

He's not arguing against passion per se, just that all this cloak and dagger shit ends up making victims of the wrong people. The AFL choosing to sweep everything under the carpet and lie basically made Callan take the fall by himself, rather than allowing us to vent our anger at a dishonest and disrespectful administration as well.

I mean, I'm pissed off (only a little bit) at Callan for taking the money, I'm more pissed off that we're all being taken for mugs.

ps. you know what though? At the end of the day, the mug punters keep fronting up and supporting Emperor Demetriou's empire, and in the big scheme of things, I don't want to waste my emotional energy on this. I'll keep giving the Dogs my money out of loyalty and tradition, but I'll be f***ed if I continue to waste my time and give a shit about where the game is going.

Nice work Lantern. Being treated like fools by the powers that be is not what we need in sport. We have politics for that.

Remi Moses
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
That's what I'm peeved off about.
That cloak and dagger crap is not a good look for the code.
I guess the AFL fan better adopt a culture of players jumping ship and announcing it mid season, this what we have now is plain nonsense:confused:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-09-2011, 09:08 PM
YHF, I couldn't disagree more strongly at Patrick Smith's and your own supporting sentiment.

Whilst I understand Ward's decision to move, for unprecedented dollars on offer, and now with the dust settling don't necessarily begrudge him of it, the fans of those Clubs effected should be given some latitude to grieve at what is a akin to the loss of someone close to the family. Afterall we are as supporters encouraged to invest emotionally and financially into what is akin to an extended family.

Why must we as supporters jump straight to rational thought and behaviour, why can't there be some room for a bit of emotion and if we must a touch of 'irrationality' until we're ready to move on, as we all will.

YKH, fine, if you like Smith wish to sit on your perch and frown down on supporters of Club's for wearing some raw emotion on their sleeves then good for you. I for one don't support it.

Ward himself knew that it was a difficult decision to make. I'm certain at least some part of that 'difficulty' would be based on how he might be regarded / perceived by his broader supporter base for jumping for the cash. In short, the Ward's themselves could hardly expect a red carpet, standing ovation exit.

That Patrick Smith should comment, & , shows not only a disconnection and disrespect to the emotional investment that worthy supporters of Club's put in heavily year in year out, it also sits at the extreme end of hypocrisy from him.

That Patrick Smith himself can so easily jump like a frog at the start of the season from his supposed Team, Essendon, and to Richmond of all Club's, simply because he didn't agree with the Essendon selection process shows a staggering degree of hypocrisy.

So it's all right for Smith to put his cane toad suit on when it effects him but when it comes to how supporters of Club's respond immediately following hearing the news of the loss of a young and exciting talent from an AFL headquarters inspired coup he then preaches that they must immediately remove all emotion from it and gracefully and with understanding send him on his way.

I don't have a problem with fans being disappointed, I'm also gutted, moreso than any other time we've lost a player since Tony McGuinness. But any anger I feel is not with Ward, but with the AFL for the way that this has all panned out, and how football fans have been treated like fools by them.

What I find hard to comprehend is hypocrisy shown by supporters, which has come to the fore following Callan's decision. Fans who on the one hand have no problem in stating 'so and so is a spud' or 'let's trade Brian Lake' etc, but then show outrage when the shoe is on the other foot and a player like Callan Ward decides to take the once in a lifetime offer in front of him. Then he his met with cries of disloyalty or bringing dishonour to the jumper. What's worse and what really makes me disgusted though, is that when Ward's Mother is personally insulted by people here, for what crime? Being put on the spot, no doubt, by a reporter, and gives a Mother's defense of her son. Yes she made some poor comments, but firstly, I bet she didn't have alot of time to prepare her answer, and secondly, how many Mother's see things clearly when it comes to defending their sons?

Give me a break.

For me the only crime in Ward's decision is the ludricrous way in which the AFL has set this whole game of charades up. It should've been upfront and in the open. And we as fans should not have been treated as fools who think that these deals weren't brokered well before the players were allowed to publically state their intentions.

I don't have a problem with fans suggesting who should get the flick or who should and shouldn't be in the team, but let's not pretend it's not hypocrisy when same fans then howl because a player has dared, decide to leave on their own accord.

The passion of fans might be important to the game, but it needs to be held to account when it goes too far.

Ghost Dog
08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Was pretty fired up at firs. But now, Look I have to agree with most of this.
What benefit does it serve to be overly vitriolic in here?
Pen to paper, let the club know how you feel. All you can do.

KT31
09-09-2011, 12:21 AM
So basically, " He wasn't the Messiah, just a money hungry little boy!!!":mad:

LostDoggy
10-09-2011, 02:39 AM
My mate is dating one of his sisters and I know Callan's best mate James. At the end of the day I'm disappointed he has left but it is ridiculous the amount of money being thrown at these young players. However, I don't think you can blame the AFL. I mean, Callan didn't have to agree to the deal. There's no doubt he would've been on a good wicket if he stayed with the Dogs and would've been able to stay with family and friends.

Maybe once he is cashed up he will request to be traded home and GWS will agree with their inability to keep him on that much money when their salary cap comes back to an even playing field with the rest of the competition?

Would you have him back?

ledge
10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Best part and highlight was Essendon home of the forked tongue!

AndrewP6
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
My mate is dating one of his sisters and I know Callan's best mate James. At the end of the day I'm disappointed he has left but it is ridiculous the amount of money being thrown at these young players. However, I don't think you can blame the AFL. I mean, Callan didn't have to agree to the deal. There's no doubt he would've been on a good wicket if he stayed with the Dogs and would've been able to stay with family and friends.

Maybe once he is cashed up he will request to be traded home and GWS will agree with their inability to keep him on that much money when their salary cap comes back to an even playing field with the rest of the competition?

Would you have him back?

No. And no.

He showed his true colours leaving for the money. Stay away.

Doc26
10-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Would you have him back?

btw Arkie, thefinalsiren.com url link in your signature returned a trojan horse security warning via Avast for me.