PDA

View Full Version : Finals Week 1

The Coon Dog
09-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Terrific 2nd qtr by Geelong seems them take a 2 goal lead into half time over Hawthorn.

How awesome was the presence of Ottens?

Really feel for young Menzel if the reports are right that he's done an ACL.

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Really feel for young Menzel if the reports are right that he's done an ACL.

Seems the case. Real shame. He was Brilliant last week.

Enjoying so far, has been your typical Geelong/Hawks game. Hard big bodied players stand up tall. Bring on the second half.

Edit: Hawkins is looking like a footballer.

Ghost Dog
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Bruce Mc -> He's a big tom cat tonight!

Commetti --> Podsiadly gives hope to all players languishing in the VFL.

1eyedog
09-09-2011, 11:03 PM
He's got no defensive pressure, but Varcoe has a touch of gold and runs to the theme of Chariots of Fire

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh Buddy are the Hawks in some trouble.

Massive loss if its as bad as it sounds.

Doggy
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh Buddy are the Hawks in some trouble.

Massive loss if its as bad as it sounds.

What's happened to Buddy?

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 11:38 PM
What's happened to Buddy?

Landed awkwardly in a marking contest, helped off the ground. Suspected ACL or Fractured Tibia.

No definite answer yet.

Doggy
09-09-2011, 11:42 PM
What a blow to Hawthorn and their supporters!

Remi Moses
10-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Just some observations
Best game Hawkins has ever played( has played Mooney into instant retirement)
Ottens was outstanding
Just proved you can't hide a weakness in a final ( hawks lack of tall backs)
Hawks got out toughed, and their kicking skills under pressure failed.
Buddy's injury looked like an ACL! ( fingers crossed it's not)
Still think they can get to a prelim

Ghost Dog
10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Just some observations
Best game Hawkins has ever played( has played Mooney into instant retirement)
Ottens was outstanding
Just proved you can't hide a weakness in a final ( hawks lack of tall backs)
Hawks got out toughed, and their kicking skills under pressure failed.
Buddy's injury looked like an ACL! ( fingers crossed it's not)
Still think they can get to a prelim

The hardest part in watching Geelong was thinking how far they are ahead of us.
Their kids look sharp and with that many mobile talls, just not enough tall backs in the list of
most teams to compete.

mjp
10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Their kids look sharp and with that many mobile talls, just not enough tall backs in the list of
most teams to compete.

Yeah...but Chapman, Ottens, Bartell, Enright, Kelly, S. Johnson, Wojcinski, Scarlett, Podsiadly, Ling are all 28+. And Corey and Milburn are still on the list. And Menzel just did a knee.

Their 'kids' are surrounded by some absolute super-stars who are pretty close to the end - and it could come quickly for a couple of them. As retirements come, they will come back to the field and then we will find out if the 'kids' can carry the side or are cream rather than cake.

Pickenitup
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Cats are home for the flag there best is better than Pies.

ledge
10-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Yeah...but Chapman, Ottens, Bartell, Enright, Kelly, S. Johnson, Wojcinski, Scarlett, Podsiadly, Ling are all 28+. And Corey and Milburn are still on the list. And Menzel just did a knee.

Their 'kids' are surrounded by some absolute super-stars who are pretty close to the end - and it could come quickly for a couple of them. As retirements come, they will come back to the field and then we will find out if the 'kids' can carry the side or are cream rather than cake.

Interesting to see how many retire at the end of season, especially if they get the flag.

azabob
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
He's got no defensive pressure, but Varcoe has a touch of gold and runs to the theme of Chariots of Fire

Are you referring to Varcoe having no defensive pressure? I think Varcoe is very very defensively minded and does the "1%" when required.

G-Mo77
10-09-2011, 04:44 PM
This game between the Pies and Eagles is the most enjoyable non Bulldogs game I have watched all year.

LostDoggy
10-09-2011, 05:04 PM
This game between the Pies and Eagles is the most enjoyable non Bulldogs game I have watched all year.

Agree - it's an entertaining game. The VFL final isn't much chop. Nice to have a choice of two live games to flick between though.

Greystache
10-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Does Farren Ray have a new contender for the title of "gazelle"?

Luke Shuey has been run down from behind in open space 4 times so far.

LostDoggy
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
When I found out StKilda were playing Swans this weekend, I thought this game has a total of 5 goals written all over it. So far it might be lucky to get to that. God dam StKilda games are boring!

Remi Moses
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
We could get a nil all draw with Stkilda v Sydney final:eek:
You'd be surprised if it wasn't a Pie Cat last dance.
Think even a Buddly less Hawk outfit would knock over Sydney or Stkilda, mighn't be that big a disater with more options up forward.Gotta reckon The Eagles on today's form would knock over Carlton or the Bombres.

Remi Moses
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
most teams to compete.

They nailed 2 drafts realistically.Will be difficult when they get retirements quickly, but they've been unbelievable the last 5 seasons.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
They nailed 2 drafts realistically.Will be difficult when they get retirements quickly, but they've been unbelievable the last 5 seasons.

After the Eagles game, Collingwood won't be taking anything for granted V Geelong.

Adam Goodes is unbelievable. Running rings around Sam Fisher. They keep trying to work him over. Just throws his arms up and powers on. An incredible athlete.

1eyedog
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Are you referring to Varcoe having no defensive pressure? I think Varcoe is very very defensively minded and does the "1%" when required.

We are clearly watching the wrong Varcoe. I have never seen a player roll off the pack more than him. But who cares if he is very outside, he's a gun. By the way time to change your avatar.

Go Bloods!

The Coon Dog
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Good win by Sydney, particularly after being challenged by the Saints in the third term.

Must say I'm getting sick of:

a) Eric Bana being shown on TV at every Saints game.

b) Razor Ray & some of his bewilderers!

c) Interchange infringements for what can only be deemed minor steps slightly to one side/across the yellow line (punishment doesn't fit the crime).

1eyedog
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Good win by Sydney, particularly after being challenged by the Saints in the third term.

c) Interchange infringements for what can only be deemed minor steps slightly to one side/across the yellow line (punishment doesn't fit the crime).

And don't forget Stephen Milne and Nick Riewoldt's head.

Remi Moses
10-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Couldn't believe Sydney were massively unders for this game.
Lyon should be unde house arrest for crimes against Australian Rules Football.
Aussie Jones summed it up, they have to many "Role" players.Great performance by Sydney, Lyon admitted they didn't "plan" for Sydney:eek:

ledge
11-09-2011, 12:18 AM

I also agree with the punishment is too big but you have to haver a cut off line somewhere and thats where it is, the bigger question is how dumb are footballers?
Whats the excuse he couldnt see it??

ledge
11-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Watching the after game tonight whats going on with Chris Grants head, its turned into a balloon.

The Coon Dog
11-09-2011, 12:35 AM
It's Kosi remember! ;)

GVGjr
11-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Watching the after game tonight whats going on with Chris Grants head, its turned into a balloon.
I would have thought that such a good win by the Swans might have been the focus in this thread.

Back to the thread, How good was McGlynn tonight?
The Swans really do OK with their drafting of youngsters and trading for players from other sides. Impressive win

bornadog
11-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I would have thought that such a good win by the Swans might have been the focus in this thread.

The Swans really do OK with their drafting of youngsters and trading for players from other sides. Impressive win

Very happy Sydney won this, can't stand the Saints, but must admit I thought at Eithad the Saints would win it.

The Coon Dog
11-09-2011, 12:44 AM

You can add Kennedy, Richards, Mumford, Shaw & Matner (as trades in) to that too!

Thought Ryan O'Keefe was a huge factor as well as the run out of defence from Rhys Shaw.

Just on O'Keefe, along with Reid & Hanneberry; wish the father/son rule was just one game! :(

GVGjr
11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
You can add Kennedy, Richards, Mumford, Shaw & Matner (as trades in) to that too!

Thought Ryan O'Keefe was a huge factor as well as the run out of defence from Rhys Shaw.

Just on O'Keefe, along with Reid & Hanneberry; wish the father/son rule was just one game! :(

Spot on. I know a lot of people don't believe that trading players work but the Swans have a decent record at it all things considered.
Really liked Rhys Shaws game tonight.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2011, 08:48 AM
I also agree with the punishment is too big but you have to haver a cut off line somewhere and thats where it is, the bigger question is how dumb are footballers?

that's a s*** rule and ruins the game. Such an unfair penalty.

If they are THAT fussed about keeping players on that side of the line, they should have a drenching gate like one for sheep.
Stupid yellow line, and all it means is your club has put staff under the pump to police it.
Cannot stand the saints and was happy to see Swans bury them, but that rule is the worst
in the game.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Warne was there as well. Seriously, he looks creepy these days.

The thing you have to say about Swans is they have no hangers on. All of their 22 contributed something tonight.

Swans are underrated every season.
Smith did a great job on Milne. He'll get Rioli next week, acid test.
How cool were O'keefe, Mumford in front of goal?
Longmire looks half asleep in the coaches box. Nothing much seems to bother him.
Their backline was very good and Ryhs Shaw is a gun. For an old bloke he tears up the paddock.

Enjoyed that game very much. Reiwoldt cuts a very sad figure. Lenny Hays was the heart of that team. Once he was gone, downward they went.

Re Razor ray, noticed Walls was having a go at him for being a smart arse to players. Seriously, getting too big for his boots.

LostDoggy
11-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Who would have thought anything over 9 goals would be enough to beat StKilda:rolleyes:

Interchange penalty is a joke, it in no way is an advantage to a team moving slightly over the line, so why should the other team recieve a scoring shot as a result?

(I know I'm toeing a fine line myself here off topic) on a very very very side note, the "Other" 1st round of the finals, Manly vs Cowboys had only 14k people in the crowd last night! Could you imagine an attendance like that at any AFL final???

mjp
11-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Almost everytime I watch them play I wish I was a Swans supporter. I realise that this is sacreligious, but I am sure many of you get what I am saying...they really do lead the competition in consistent, contest to contest effort for the past 10 years or so.

All they do is 'persist'!

Go_Dogs
11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Almost everytime I watch them play I wish I was a Swans supporter. I realise that this is sacreligious, but I am sure many of you get what I am saying...

I thought the exact same thing watching the game last night. Very impressive side, and although a few aging stars, are developing a good crop of younger players.

Probably the end of the road for St Kilda, will be interesting to see how they go next year.

LostDoggy
11-09-2011, 01:22 PM
What was St.kilda thinking trying to win a final with Dean Polo.

Maddog37
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
What was St.kilda thinking trying to win a final with Dean Polo.

Tagging Goodes with him!!!

Imagine what Goodes was thinking when Polo ran to him..........

AndrewP6
11-09-2011, 01:42 PM
How awkward with Ross Lyon paying tribute to the retiring Steven Baker, Michael Gardiner, Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy... with Eddy taking to Twitter to state that he's not retiring! :eek:

Clearly communication is not working that well at Seaford!

azabob
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
How awkward with Ross Lyon paying tribute to the retiring Steven Baker, Michael Gardiner, Andrew McQualter and Robert Eddy... with Eddy taking to Twitter to state that he's not retiring! :eek:

Clearly communication is not working that well at Seaford!

Baker has also said he is not retiring. It was Ross's way in saying you are delisted without actually telling them.

He learnt the trick from Roos and how Roos dealt with Hall.

ledge
11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Is their any chance Lyon might leave, said in his post match interview he felt it was the end of an era.

Sedat
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
We should be embarrassed that this rabble of an Essendon team could smash us twice this season. Also good news because Ratten will get another contract and this Carlton team could win a flag with a quality senior coach.

Must admit I have enjoyed seeing imposters like Alwyn Davey and Leroy Jetta exposed in the harsh glare of finals footy.

comrade
11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
We should be embarrassed that this rabble of an Essendon team could smash us twice this season. Also good news because Ratten will get another contract and this Carlton team could win a flag with a quality senior coach.

Must admit I have enjoyed seeing imposters like Alwyn Davey and Leroy Jetta exposed in the harsh glare of finals footy.

When Essendon are bad, they're absolutely horrible. Hille has been given a bath by Warnock. Warnock!

Murphy is pure quality, isn't he?

Carlton have plenty of gaps in their structure. A forward line with Setanta and Waite as the key posts won't scare the top echelon (especially with Betts and Garlett prone to going missing), and Jamison and Henderson will have a difficult time of it next week against Kennedy, Lynch, NicNat and Cox rotating through there. The Blues midfield is a classy outfit though and will ensure they around the mark for the next few years.

I've liked the games of Duigan and Laidler. Very much in the mold of our very own Dale Morris.

ledge
11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I love the way when Essendon win cameras are all on sir James but when they lose its question time for Thompson.

Greystache
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I went to the game, Essendon were like a carbon copy of the Bulldogs in the 2008 qualifying final- timid, scared, and overwhelmed. Just pitiful.

G-Mo77
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I love the way when Essendon win cameras are all on sir James but when they lose its question time for Thompson.

I just love watching Essendon lose.

Average losing margin in their last 2 finals appearances 79. I'll be using that fuel for a few that gave me shit about missing the finals this year.

bornadog
11-09-2011, 09:09 PM
I just love watching Essendon lose.

Average losing margin in their last 2 finals appearances 79. I'll be using that fuel for a few that gave me shit about missing the finals this year.

Yeah, I also hate watching Carlton win. If I see a Carlton supporter high fiving one more time I will spew up.

I hope West Coast really spank them next week.

ledge
11-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I also hate watching Carlton win. If I see a Carlton supporter high fiving one more time I will spew up.

I hope West Coast really spank them next week.

Dont worry you get redemption next week and if Hawks lose as well my finals hopes are complete.

Remi Moses
11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Usually there's s great difference in the two final echelon , with the bottom 8 sides usually get exposed by the top 4. I thing the Eagles will beat Carlton next week, wonder why the dream team million dollar coaching panel put any work into Murphy?

Sedat
11-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Carlton have plenty of gaps in their structure. A forward line with Setanta and Waite as the key posts won't scare the top echelon (especially with Betts and Garlett prone to going missing), and Jamison and Henderson will have a difficult time of it next week against Kennedy, Lynch, NicNat and Cox rotating through there. The Blues midfield is a classy outfit though and will ensure they around the mark for the next few years.
As good a starting midfield group as there is going around. They have holes everywhere else but in September the teams that are strong in contested possessions are always a show. I expect Carlton to be perennial finalists for the next 2-3 seasons if Kreuzer can recapture his pre-knee reco form and Warnock can stand up in the ruck. If they had a Lyon or Malthouse at the helm I'd pencil them in for a flag while Judd is still at or near his best.

anfo27
11-09-2011, 11:33 PM
When Essendon are bad, they're absolutely horrible. Hille has been given a bath by Warnock. Warnock!

Murphy is pure quality, isn't he?

I've liked the games of Duigan and Laidler. Very much in the mold of our very own Dale Morris.

What do the Dons do with this bloke? he was pathetic today and saw him get outbodied by Gibbs in marking contest in that first quarter. He was noncompetitive today in a final. Surely they would move him on otherwise Bellchambers would be thinking I am too good to playing for Bendigo.