PDA

View Full Version : Tom Scully signs with GWS

The Coon Dog
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 12 September

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/03/01/1226014/386646-tom-scully.jpg

TOM Scully will announce his intention to join Greater Western Sydney at a media conference in Sydney today.

The Melbourne midfielder is believed to have agreed to an offer for the next six years for an estimated $6 million.

Scully, 20, and his family flew to Sydney yesterday for the announcement.

Melbourne officials were to be advised of the move this morning.

The 2009 No.1 draft pick has been GWS's primary recruiting target for several months.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tom-scully-signs-with-greater-western-sydney/story-fn69a32t-1226134024795)

Topdog
12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Wow I am shocked. Absolutely shocked. Must have been a tough decision for him.

Cyberdoggie
12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Another shock surprise :p

Honestly why do the clubs like Melbourne and the Dogs hang on to the very last second claiming they are still hopefull they will stay?

The only reason all those 8 players signed with us a couple of weeks back was because they all knew that Ward had taken the money from GWS and they were no longer in contention.

Why else would they all wait until then and then all sign up at the same time?

Would be interesting to know if Paul Connors is the manager of any of those guys as well, in particular Easton Wood?

Pity we didn't get our picks before Scully signed, now we'll definately not get 2x tier 1 picks.

chef
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Poor old Garry Lyon, the only person in the world who thought he was still undecided last week.

Puts losing a player of Wards calibre back into perspective. Imagine losing someone like Scully, it would rip your heart out.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Puts losing a player of Wards calibre back into perspective. Imagine losing someone like Scully, it would rip your heart out.

Dunno about you Chef, but Ward going kinda ripped my heart out!

chef
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Dunno about you Chef, but Ward going kinda ripped my heart out!

I am not sure yet if Ward is going to be a star(according to Eade he will only be a B grade player at best, lacks footy smarts). Melbourne losing Scully would have been like us losing Griffen or Cooney after 2 seasons, now that would have ripped my heart out.

I was(and still am) more upset about losing Harbrow than Ward, Jarrod was my favourite player.

Maddog37
12-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I am not sure yet if Ward is going to be a star(according to Eade he will only be a B grade player at best, lacks footy smarts). Melbourne losing Scully would have been like us losing Griffen or Cooney after 2 seasons, now that would have ripped my heart out.I was(and still am) more upset about losing Harbrow than Ward, Jarrod was my favourite player.

Agree Chef. Feel for Melbourne especially the whole drawn out farce they have had to endure.

Greystache
12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
The denial in all of this is the most rediculous thing, Scully was quite open about the fact he was going to take the money, yet even as late as yesterday Melbourne were saying publicly they they were hopeful of keeping him. It's the same with Ward, he'd taken the money and told the club before the final game, yet you've got you've got a club official on game day still telling the public they hope he'll stay. It just makes the whole scenario look so artificially created.

Mofra
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Melbourne are certain to get tier 1 with that contract - makes us more likely to get tier 2 for Ward

Remi Moses
12-09-2011, 01:32 PM
What a charade! What a Farce ! What a Joke!
Mind you the same could be said for releasing a statement saying Players had "Retired " from Football ( errr sorry Stkilda).:rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
12-09-2011, 01:38 PM
FovPLAQ4q30

Mofra
12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
What a charade! What a Farce ! What a Joke!
Mind you the same could be said for releasing a statement saying Players had "Retired " from Football ( errr sorry Stkilda).:rolleyes:
Yep - when things get bad at the Bulldogs, it's comforting to think "thank god we aren't St Kilda" :)

BulldogBelle
12-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Yep - when things get bad at the Bulldogs, it's comforting to think "thank god we aren't St Kilda" :)

Or at Melbourne ("we play to win, and if we know we arent going to win, we tell the coach to tank")

Wonder how Scully's contract going to effect our compensation for Ward

I think now if we recieved a first round draft pick, and a late second round pick we can count ourselves as being fortunate

Dees will recieve an Ablett like compensation for Scully

LostDoggy
12-09-2011, 04:38 PM
FovPLAQ4q30

How many members do they even have?

Remi Moses
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Saw a very damming article on the insular Stkilda footy Club today.
Rohan Connolly and various others bemoaning how the Saints are a closed shop, and basically do themselves and their members a complete disservice .

chef
12-09-2011, 04:40 PM
How many members do they even have?

Over 10,000 ATM

Bulldog4life
12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Melbourne are certain to get tier 1 with that contract - makes us more likely to get tier 2 for Ward

I'm sure the AFL wouldn't have waited for Scully to sign before they decided on our compensation.:rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
12-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Over 10,000 ATM

10k Members who all paid a $50 membership fee

Doesnt ever cover Scully's Year 1 salary

Their members are actually the FOXTEL and Austar subscribers around the country - they exist only because of Pay TV.

The folk watching the games on TV wont care if Skoda Stadium is empty.

Feel sorry for Fitzroy - and their real supporters, they went under for a debt smaller than Scully's pay cheque.

AndrewP6
12-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm absolutely shattered. Yes, it was footy's worst kept secret, I just harboured some faint glimmer of hope that, after Ward selling out, that Tom would turn around and say "Melbourne's been great to me, they gave me Barrassi's number. I'm sticking with the Dees". I'm on record as saying I thought he'd remain loyal, and didn't change that view as recently as a month ago when he was at my school (his primary school) doing a footy clinic. Having that personal contact, I really felt he might knock them back. Terrible news for Dees fans, and I'm really disappointed Tom has decided to go for the dough.

Watching that video made me very uneasy... Thanks TCD!

Topdog
12-09-2011, 06:20 PM
All signs point to the fact that he signed many many months ago.

David Scharwz would have spoken after hearing officially.

Flamethrower
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM
$6 million over 6 years, including $2 million in the first year for an unproven 19 year old is the media speculation. That makes Tom Scully the highest paid player in the AFL next year by half a million dollars (G.Ablett is rumoured to be on $1.5m).

The world has gone mad!!!!

GVGjr
12-09-2011, 06:52 PM

That sounds about right

DOG GOD
12-09-2011, 07:29 PM
$6 million over 6 years, including $2 million in the first year for an unproven 19 year old is the media speculation. That makes Tom Scully the highest paid player in the AFL next year by half a million dollars (G.Ablett is rumoured to be on $1.5m).

The world has gone mad!!!!

Yep, absolute lunacy.

Hotdog60
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Maybe a smart move by Scully, reports of a knee that may not get any better could decrease his time in football so take the money and run. In six years he maybe done and dusted.

LostDoggy
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
http://www.novafm.com.au/nova100/video_adele-someone-like-you-tom-scully-parody_113184

Now this is funny!

lemmon
12-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Maybe a smart move by Scully, reports of a knee that may not get any better could decrease his time in football so take the money and run. In six years he maybe done and dusted.

Have heard similar rumors about his knee being close to buggered and at least needing to be constantly managed. Still a money chasing mercenary, but its another factor to consider

cinder
12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
I can't say if this makes me feel better or worse about Ward, maybe some consolation that we are not the only club to lose a valued player. In saying that I agree with what others have said, Scully leaving is a terrible loss for Melb given he was number 1 draft pick and they've really got nothing from him so far. Not good ... but they will no doubt get better compo than we will.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Posted above, but here is the video below. It's gold;

oFGGD_d9GnQ

jazzadogs
12-09-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.novafm.com.au/nova100/video_adele-someone-like-you-tom-scully-parody_113184

Now this is funny!
Pretty good to come up with that in a day... :p

MrMahatma
12-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I recall someone mentioning an interview Sheeds gave last year or earlier this year, saying "We'll be going after the strong clubs, not taking from the weak clubs".

So far they've taken exclusively from teams not in the finals. I guess we'll see what happens over the coming month or so, and then next year, but at this stage they're doing no-one any favours apart from keeping the Collingwoods of this world at the top of the ladder for longer as the next bunch of challengers get derailed.

MrMahatma
12-09-2011, 09:47 PM

Now this is funny!
That's a belter. Love it.

"Don't forget us, you d1ck, we wasted our priority pick..."

the banker
12-09-2011, 10:13 PM
It's all pretty weird for Tom Scully to be the "highest paid player in the history of the game"

Scully looks like he will deliver a great career, but he has been injury prone and that brings everyone back to the field. 6 years is along contract. Not wishing it on him, but imagine if he got a career ending injury next year.

I suppose they have to spend their money somehow.

Melbourne got him by "playing in the best interests of MFC", so once they get the top tier compo they can't really complain. Like us, so long as the compensation fits the "crime".

Remi Moses
13-09-2011, 01:22 AM
NiceWork

Ghost Dog
13-09-2011, 06:47 AM
While his family live in Beaconsfield, from memory, Scully lives in a fairly humble apartment across the road here from me ( Malvern-ish ). either that or his GF does as, have seen him cart his washing basket in their a few times. Funny to watch him shuffling across the street with his laundry, and think " Hey, that skinny guy is the highest paid player in AFL".

Reckon he's gonna cop a bit of stick from his opponents? Reckon so! All that pressure is going to make it fun for him.

Maddog37
13-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Wonder how he will be remembered in the future. Will have to have a great career to be remembered as anything but the highest paid player in a trivia question.

BulldogBelle
13-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I recall someone mentioning an interview Sheeds gave last year or earlier this year, saying "We'll be going after the strong clubs, not taking from the weak clubs".

So far they've taken exclusively from teams not in the finals. I guess we'll see what happens over the coming month or so, and then next year, but at this stage they're doing no-one any favours apart from keeping the Collingwoods of this world at the top of the ladder for longer as the next bunch of challengers get derailed.

Collingwood are paying players under the table, and paying them through their sponsors, but given Collingwoods massive attendances and TV audiences, the AFL are complicit.

I have my fingers crossed that GWS will poach a Collingwood or Geelong player to bring them down a peg or two - although unlike Ward and Scully there hasnt been any strong rmedia rumour or speculation regarding players from these power clubs.

Surely if Geelong win the flag, and several of their senior players retire, their premiership door will be closed for a few years - and some of their younger players might realise this and leave for the $$$s.

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 10:04 AM
All signs point to the fact that he signed many many months ago.

The fact that he was very, very strict about sticking to the words 'the contract was signed today' is testament to the farce that these players "agree terms" months ago but only actually "sign" a piece of paper before the press conference.

Mantis
13-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Collingwood are paying players under the table, and paying them through their sponsors, but given Collingwoods massive attendances and TV audiences, the AFL are complicit.

I have my fingers crossed that GWS will poach a Collingwood or Geelong player to bring them down a peg or two - although unlike Ward and Scully there hasnt been any strong rmedia rumour or speculation regarding players from these power clubs.

Surely if Geelong win the flag, and several of their senior players retire, their premiership door will be closed for a few years - and some of their younger players might realise this and leave for the $$$s.

Do you have any proof that this is happening or are you happy just to guess?

SlimPickens
13-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Unbelievable to think Scully, Ward, Folau and Davies are all going to be in the top 10 paid players in the AFL next year.

Considering the amount Ward will be paid in his first year we should be pushing for band 1 compensation even harder.

BulldogBelle
13-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Do you have any proof that this is happening or are you happy just to guess?

The only way I could get proof, or the AFL could get proof would be to examine every Collingwood players personal tax return.

Who was the last player that left Collingwood against the clubs will?

bornadog
13-09-2011, 10:46 AM
The only way I could get proof, or the AFL could get proof would be to examine every Collingwood players personal tax return.

DH you don't need to make unsubstantiated allegations. We don't want players or their managers reading this and then trying to shut us down for printing this sort of stuff.

One of the reasons Collingwood players are not leaving is that they not only think about the money but also how good their team is and will they be playing finals.

Take it this way, would you rather play finals for the next three years including GF and maybe a preniership, as well as home and away games in front of massive crowds at the G, or in the Western Suburbs of Sydney, at Blacktown in front of 12,000 supporters getting thrashed week after week.

Ward and Scully would have looked at our clubs and said, you know what Bulldogs and Demons will struggle to play finals in the next 3 years, so we may as well struggle in GWS and take the money.

chef
13-09-2011, 05:49 PM

Nick Davis.

I don't think there's any chance they are going outside the cap with the penalties being so high.

LostDoggy
13-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Nick Davis.

I don't think there's any chance they are going outside the cap with the penalties being so high.

Yes. And no player takes drugs and the umps never make a mistake.

Desipura
14-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Even when the pies were crap, they have not lost anyone they really wanted to stay. People who don't want to believe this are in denial that a powerful club retains it's players. Tall poppy syndrome.

chef
14-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Yes. And no player takes drugs and the umps never make a mistake.

Do you think that the Pies illegally retain/pay their players?

LostDoggy
14-09-2011, 07:46 AM

No doubt. And plenty of others do it too. The afl don't want to know.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Absolutely.