Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone explain to me how we beat Brisbane?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Marra gets 3
    English 1
    Lobb 2
    West 1
    Bont 2
    Libba 1
    VDM2
    Dale 1
    Buku 2
    Sanders 1

I?m sure I?ve forgotten a few. We win by 7-10 goals.
    Relax. Enjoy the next bit? finals are coming. It?s our flag.
    We will spread the load. Maybe not win by 7-10 goals but we will should score enough to win. Williams may pop up with one or two, same with Gags. Marra may get a brace (though Andrews will be on him). Add McNeil to the list as well

Post Thanks / Like

Lions for whatever reason not playing as they were last year. Coleman being out for the year has really hurt their run of half back and they haven't found a replacement. We are a big chance with the way we move the ball as they like to dictate the pace of the game.

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also a bit worried that our outs are finally going to catch up with us.

Naughton, Darcy, Harmes, Richards, Weightman - these are five guys that have played significant roles in driving team performance forward in recent times. And yes, between them they've kicked 66 out of our 163 goals this season (40%).

Of course that doesn't mean that our scoring drops by 40%, but it is going to be a significant challenge for others to pick up the slack and hit the scoreboard.

A couple of added concerns: Khamis is likely playing forward for the first time this year (at AFL level) filling in Darcy's big shoes. Libba - big question marks over whether he'll be able to play his natural game.

Also - Brisbane are good. Much better than their ladder position at least. If we win it will be a big tick for our game plan and depth.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

5. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Honestly this reads more like a fantasy football argument than a real football argument.
    Nah. Fantasy footy is most kicks wins...

Hang on - total kicks is the #1 win indicator in the history of the league!!

We need goal-kickers tonight...I just look at the team and don't see them. Jamarra is 'just' going (better last week) and my faith in Lobb is pretty minimal...no Weightman is going to count against us at some point - his replacements have been solid without ever showing the ability to kick goals...

Lastly - like I said we have been "UP" for a long time. With the bye ahead, this just turns on the alarm warnings and I can't see how we do it.

As for the comments about Marvel - it feels like (last week aside) it's been more of a disadvantage than an advantage to play there in recent times...I'm worried. And the stories about how McNeil (for example) is going to back up last week with another 2-goal effort...I'm not buying what you're selling.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

McColeman comes into the team after being the sub last week and kicks at least 2.
    English kicks 2 as the Big O is good but not a 'transition' ruck.

Dale sneaks forward for a long range goal.

Problem solved.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Nah. Fantasy footy is most kicks wins...

Hang on - total kicks is the #1 win indicator in the history of the league!!

We need goal-kickers tonight...I just look at the team and don't see them. Jamarra is 'just' going (better last week) and my faith in Lobb is pretty minimal...no Weightman is going to count against us at some point - his replacements have been solid without ever showing the ability to kick goals...

Lastly - like I said we have been "UP" for a long time. With the bye ahead, this just turns on the alarm warnings and I can't see how we do it.

As for the comments about Marvel - it feels like (last week aside) it's been more of a disadvantage than an advantage to play there in recent times...I'm worried. And the stories about how McNeil (for example) is going to back up last week with another 2-goal effort...I'm not buying what you're selling.
    I don't think you followed my point if you think I'm saying McNeil will for sure kick 2 goals this week.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the same way. We've been up and in prime time for ages, the injuries are racking up, it feels like everyone else has had a rest except us, the weather's closing in and you imagine those players at the start (Gallagher, Sanders) or end (Jones, Treloar) of their careers are starting to crave a break and a beer.

I don't really have any expectation tonight and feel like 'going back to the well' again would make it an even bigger win than last week. This Brisbane midfield worries me, especially when fresh, and I feel like they could be running over the ground tonight.

The concern is that we haven't put ourselves in a position to sacrifice four points and still be in the hunt. We need to be up again tonight and probably next week if the season stays alive.

If we get up tonight, I think it'll be on the backs of our talented players - that's another Bont extravaganza and I just feel like we need a bag from Marra. Darcy and Naughton have been getting their flowers, but he's the man tonight. I think he has it in him to rise to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Every game from now on in is a big game. I am looking for big games from our name players. Get first hands on the ball, chase, harass, smother, tackle, get numbers around the contest. Don't turn the ball over especially in our back half. Sure hands, lots of run when we have the ball, kick straight.
    Do most of that all of the time or do all of that most of the time and the result will take care of itself. A loss sees us at the back of the pack of Finals aspirants. A win places us firmly in the lead group. It's as simple as that.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bullish hope aside... us being favourites scares me no end. And I agree that, at some point, the outs start to hurt. If Darcy and Richards were in I'd feel we'd have enough firepower through the lines... but we're missing some of our very best/most important players at the moment. Plus we can't expect Bont to play like last week EVERY week. Feels like we might need him to this week though.

Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane have looked good on paper all season but the reality is that many of their senior core have played like busteds since March. Of course that could easily change tonight (they are undeniably a very talented team) but 11 weeks is a pretty decent sample size of sub-par performance. Maybe they have privately conceded 2024 is now not a realistic premiership opportunity for them (they need top 4 and home finals to be a proper chance, and both look miles off) and they are in the business right now of premierships. Reloading next year with Coleman and Ashcroft back and the squad well-rested not having to compete deep into September like they have the last 6 years gives them a better shot at a flag than somehow squeaking into 8th this year.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our outs are pretty heavy but Lions have been pretty mediocre this year. Their run coming out of defence has completely collapsed without Coleman, none of their stars are firing like they did last year and they're a 3 goal worse team away from Brisbane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Our outs are pretty heavy but Lions have been pretty mediocre this year. Their run coming out of defence has completely collapsed without Coleman, none of their stars are firing like they did last year and they're a 3 goal worse team away from Brisbane.
    Starcevich back is huge for them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Starcevich back is huge for them.
    He's actually been in terrible form all season. I think Bobby Hill broke him in last year's GF - up till then he was a gun small defender.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane away have been poor, except beating Melbourne in round 5. They have lost to Carlton, Freo, Pies, Cats. GWS, drew against Adelaide and lost to Hawks at Marvel before the bye.

They have issues kicking goals and are currently ranked 13th (we are 4th), but their defence has ben strong and ranked 3rd (we are 6th).

They do have issues with Centre Clearances ranked 15th to our 7th.

Dogs to win easily.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He's actually been in terrible form all season. I think Bobby Hill broke him in last year's GF - up till then he was a gun small defender.
    We also have the ultimate counter play to a gun small defender in playing bad small forwards on purpose.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post