Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2024 vs Fremantle

This is the Round 14, 2024 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once today's game against Fremantle has concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2024 vs Fremantle

B

Huge day in the scoreboard
    Can’t recall the last time 5 players kicked 3+
    Currently in the top 8
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Bontempelli for his superb game. As an aside, in the midweek All Australian selectors telecast AFL's Laura Kane had the Bont on the bench
    Tom Liberatore and Ed Richards, welcome back.
    Adam Treloar, in season best form.

Anchors
    Selectors picking Buku Khamis in the backline, as a defender he has no idea.
    Vandermeer, I question what he actually brings to the team. 1 tackle and kicked 0.1 today.

4. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers
    Bontempelli for his superb game. As an aside, in the midweek All Australian selectors telecast AFL's Laura Kane had the Bont on the bench
    Tom Liberatore and Ed Richards, welcome back.
    Adam Treloar, in season best form.

Anchors
    Selectors picking Buku Khamis in the backline, as a defender he has no idea.
    Vandermeer, I question what he actually brings to the team. 1 tackle and kicked 0.1 today.
    Sedat says he runs lots. I worry a bit about Sedat.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Bankers
    Saw that, what a joke. But the whole thing was so unserious, makes you question why anyone pays attention to AA selection. No Naughton in the 70 man squad is ridiculous.

Bankers

Five bags of 3+ goals - good to see a spread, and none of these guys stopped at just a tasting. Bontempelli going at nearly 2 goals a game this year has been a joy to watch.

Stoppage ascendancy - English, Bont, Treloar and Libba all put in big games. Richards joined in at the end, he's the fast exit midfielder we've been looking for. Can't remember where I heard this but our midfield this year the best in the league at converting opposition first possessions into clearances for us - that's quite the achievement given where our defensive stoppage game has been. Saw it a number of times today with Bont and Libba arresting Fremantle mids and usually Treloar left to pounce on the loose ball.

The doubter silencers - Bramble, English & Lobb. Credit where it's due, these guys had great games. Hope it's the spark and confidence they need to continue on in the back half of the year.

Anchors

HTB adjudication - all over the place for the second or third week running. Based on today the one part of the interpretation that was supposed to change hasn't, where players are given less time in the tackle to dispose of the ball. Meanwhile prior opportunity is sometimes 0 sometimes 2 seconds, and no one knows the difference between dropping the ball and it being knocked out.

Dwayne - barracking for Fremantle, and whoever happens to be playing against us, every time.

Caleb's dinky kick to Williams - his confidence must be at an all time low. We need to find a way to rejuvenate him.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

7. Likes GVGjr, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Ed Richards - we really missed him

2. Bont -the GOAT

3. The kick from Bramble in front of Dale, Dale runs on to it and all the way down the ground to set up a goal

Anchors

Zero
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post

Anchors

HTB adjudication - all over the place for the second or third week running. Based on today the one part of the interpretation that was supposed to change hasn't, where players are given less time in the tackle to dispose of the ball. Meanwhile prior opportunity is sometimes 0 sometimes 2 seconds, and no one knows the difference between dropping the ball and it being knocked out.
    The umpiring is at an all time low right now. I was actually pissing myself laughing when there was like 2 or 3 missed calls in our foward 50, I think it was the 2nd quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Bont - incredible
    Lobb - excellent response. Lobbed it.
    Dale and Treloar - both must be in the AA mix

A:
    HTB interpretation and general umpiring both ways but mainly against us

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1 - The MC for bringing in both Richards and Weightman and both of them contributing in a big way. Allowing Bont to play when it might have been otherwise tempting to give him a week off before the bye and finally for sticking with Lobb and Bramble and running then into a bit of form.
    You might say we had no one else to replace Lobb with but I saw the work Lade did with Lobb this week
    and I think we we were working to a plan.

2 - Some very smart work by our mids and forwards with the way they set-up goals with accurate passes, blocks and set plays.
    We also kicked accurately

3 - Our fitness team. We are banged up a bit, got a few injuries, had a good lead and a bye in front of us and yet we outscored and outrun Fremantle in the last quarter when in times gone by we would have just etched out a 2 or 3 goal win.

Anchors
    22k fans went to the game and perhaps some have lost a bit of faith. That's something for the club to work on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Dogs 24/7, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Anchors
    22k fans went to the game and perhaps some have lost a bit of faith. That's something for the club to work on.
    Really embarrassing turn out, would have been under 20k dogs fans there. So much for the record membership.
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Really embarrassing turn out, would have been under 20k dogs fans there. So much for the record membership.
    Yep was shit house.

My neice brought 5 of her friends as they get 15 buck tickets.

Not sure why dogs fans dont turn up. Maybe we only have 20k who actually go?

16. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I don't like the way we calculate memberships. I don't think we are growing the membership base like the club is portraying.

18. Likes chef, Danny the snakeman, Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't like the way we calculate memberships. I don't think we are growing the membership base like the club is portraying.
    Agree G. Inflated rubbish. You can get 3 games for 33 bucks atm. How that counts as 1 member is beyond me.

20. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree G. Inflated rubbish. You can get 3 games for 33 bucks atm. How that counts as 1 member is beyond me.
    We need to see the total number of games our supporters have purchased each year and what that equates to in dollars. We could measure that year on year. We are heavily discounting memberships at the moment which get us home in our aspirations for 60k but does it actually mean we are growing the club in a sustainable fashion,?

22. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    All clubs do that - ie have smaller game deals that are more affordable for some people. I don’t see anything wrong with it. In fact I think it makes going to the footy more equitable rather than being elite that only those with more disposable income can afford.