Tom Liberatore reveals he never feared his AFL career was in jeopardy

Tom Liberatore has revealed he never feared his AFL career was in jeopardy after suffering two concussions within the space of a month, insisting he had complete faith in the Bulldogs? medical plan which has allowed him to return to the game.

In his second match back following a four-game stint on the sidelines, the gritty midfielder helped to curb the impact of Fremantle's Caleb Serong in the Bulldogs? 67-point win on Saturday.

His coach Luke Beveridge detailed how Liberatore had a "glint" in his eye when volunteering for the role earlier in the week, saying the veteran told him he was ready 'if you need me to go to someone'

The 32-year-old spent the majority of the game on Serong, blunting his influence early when the game was in the balance, with both players ending up with 28 disposals, but with the clear points going to Libba.

Asked if he ever felt his career was in the balance, Liberatore told the Herald Sun: "Definitely not" I've had more serious injuries than that, but we stuck to the plan (of getting a series of health assessments before returning).

"I just tried to concentrate on the things I could control. The support I got from my family, my partner and the footy club made it easier."

Liberatore was sent into AFL concussion protocols after he collapsed in the dying seconds of the clash with Essendon in round 5 this year, then he copped a second head knock in a collision with Hawthorn's Karl Amon in round 8.

It followed on from two other incidents last year.

After undergoing a series of neurological tests, including at the Neurological Rehabilitation Group in Mount Waverley, and with the club showing an abundance of caution, he returned to the team against the Brisbane Lions last week.

Liberatore had heard that some people from outside the club had called him to consider retiring from the game.

"I heard it all second hand to be honest and (the talk) must have been loud if it was coming back to me," he said.

"There were some pretty rash comments along the lines about retirement.

"But it never got to that. I felt pretty good early on (after the Hawthorn game). I was still training at the club, just without any contact. I'll give a shout out to the neurological centre out in Mount Waverley too. I was out there a few times, they were great."

Beveridge said on Saturday that Liberatore came to him early in the week offering to play a run-with role against Fremantle.

Serong had 37 disposals the last time the two teams met in round 7, when Liberatore was out with his first concussion.

"The glint is in his eye when he (Liberatore) offers (to take on a role) and it sort of twinkles when you agree," Beveridge said.

"Serong really towelled us up last time, so for him (Liberatore) to play that role, similarly to what he did with Matty Rowell (in round 2), was really important for us."

Liberatore said of his battle with Serong: "I did my due diligence (on him), he's definitely come a long way over the last year or so ? he's a quality player. It's pretty hard to match him with toe (speed) at times."

He said he was happy to be back playing footy, with the team heading to its mid-season break 7-7 with renewed energy and confidence.

But he said he was just as pleased to have a front row view of the extraordinary goal his skipper Marcus Bontempelli kicked just before half-time which had the crowd in raptures.

"I won't ever forget that goal, it was special," Libba said with a smile.