Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  79
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I can see arguments for Franklin, Martin and GAj (though would probably have him in an era before Bont) but not Danger. No one else deserves a mention for me though I'm sure people are mounting a case for Daicos as we speak
    It's a great comparison with Dangerfield:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=C&fid2=C

Eight AA gongs for Dangerfield. Only one AFLCA award versus Bont's two.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

He's better than Billings.

Post Thanks / Like

Defining eras is very difficult let alone comparisons of players across eras.

Franklin only overlapped with Bont whilst playing at Sydney.

Ablett was already at the suns when Bont got drafted.

I'd only consider Dusty part of the same era as Bont. Franklin and Ablett were before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And Lewis. The dude who won the rising star.

Hell I can't even remember the guys name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I could counter that by reminding you of the game in 2015 where Billings ripped the game apart to steer the saints to a mighty comeback. There were no other circumstances.

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I could counter that by reminding you of the game in 2015 where Billings ripped the game apart to steer the saints to a mighty comeback. There were no other circumstances.
    We’ve established that was actually mine and Jeemak’s fault.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We’ve established that was actually mine and Jeemak’s fault.
    Between that and Trade Dunkley's outcomes I've stopped predicting future outcomes.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ultimate Australian compliment, Australia Day and Queen's Birthday Honours notwithstanding, is to be identified by prefix of 'the' to your surname. The Don, the Bont.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately for EJ the worst thing you can have in front of your name post the 80s outbreak of pedo activity is "Mr".

13. Likes Happy Days, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Bont. He's earned the ultimate honorific. There's never been a better 'the' to have worn the jumper,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's a great comparison with Dangerfield:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=C&fid2=C

Eight AA gongs for Dangerfield. Only one AFLCA award versus Bont's two.
    Similar average possessions but if you had to pick someone to kick you the ball on the lead there's no way you're choosing Danger. As far as impact goes I can't rely on the stats for Bont

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a lot of games with EJ at Western (Whitten) Oval.

I don't think that you can compare eras. But you can assess the impact of a player in his era.

In his era EJ was clearly, and by a large margin, the single best player in the competition bar none for a very long time.

The closest I have seen since then for a level of dominance is GAJ. He is the only one I have seen that is close, but still not at the level of EJ. His father falls somewhere behind him and other names do not rate.

I don't think our Bont has GAJ covered yet, but he could do so in time. Whether he gets to EJ remains to be seen.

As a spectator Bont is similar to watch as EJ. He does things nobody else can and can carry a team as EJ did. It is a joy to watch them.

Similarly Granty and Dougie were a joy to watch.

17. Thanks josie, Scorlibo, hujsh, jeemak, bulldogsthru&thru, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    EJ was the defining player of his era, I struggle to wrap my head around how Bont can be considered better than him in lieu of him not being considered in the top five of his.
    THIS.

I'm increasingly irritated by the media circle jerk around Bont being the greatest Bulldog because it's a thinly veiled clip at our past greats - that or just plain ignorance.

My grandfather was adamant that Teddy was the best he'd seen, and he wasn't as one-eyed as I am. Said he could be best on ground no matter where he played, and he played everywhere. Mike Sheahan had him at number 3 in his top 50 of all time 20 or so years ago and there were complaints that he wasn't number 1. He's in the conversation as the greatest of all time.

So if Bont is better than EJ then the corollary is that Bont is in the conversation for the greatest of all time. Yet I'd bet that if you were to ask any of these seagulls to rank Bont in an all time list they'd probably put him down in the 40s or something. It's so disrespectful to EJ.

Kane Cornes made a list of the top players since 2010, and had Bont 4th behind Ablett, Franklin and Martin. I think most would also have Dangerfield ahead. Then if you walk it back by another decade most would have Riewoldt, Judd, Voss, Buckley and Pavlich ahead too.

Just shows how casually our players are discarded from history, and how irrelevant we still are in the eyes of most.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

19. Likes bornadog, jeemak, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are getting of track a bit by comparing other players from other clubs as the article is referencing the greatest Bulldog player.

Not AFL player which opens up a whole other can of worms.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I think we are getting of track a bit by comparing other players from other clubs as the article is referencing the greatest Bulldog player.

Not AFL player which opens up a whole other can of worms.
    They're inseparable when our incumbent GOAT is also possibly the AFL/VFL's GOAT.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

22. Likes jeemak liked this post