Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  79
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

I was a little Kid when EJ was playing and he was in his last years. Of the players I have seen play, I still rank Grant at the top, but Bont is closing in very fast and I would think he will surpass Chris.

I saw Grant in his first year as a 17 year old kicking 50 goals, and against some of the toughest fullbacks. But then again, it is hard to compare a KPP against a midfielder.

Different eras, different positions, how do you compare them
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Testekill, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Similar average possessions but if you had to pick someone to kick you the ball on the lead there's no way you're choosing Danger. As far as impact goes I can't rely on the stats for Bont
    Dangerfield was an amazing inside to outside player. Absolute freak of nature on that front - he got it where it needed to be pretty much consistently quicker than anyone who's played the game. Bont is as well, there's not many things as amazing as him striding out of a contested ball scenario.

If Bont gets another flag then it's a no-contest scenario.

Someone who the media would put in the equation is Luke Hodge, even though he gets the Paul Roos half back free pass.

"Yeah, but Hodgey invented it, and I really want to have a beer with him".
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I think we are getting of track a bit by comparing other players from other clubs as the article is referencing the greatest Bulldog player.

Not AFL player which opens up a whole other can of worms.
    Nets.*

*It's a short runway to the Nets these days.

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Dangerfield was an amazing inside to outside player. Absolute freak of nature on that front - he got it where it needed to be pretty much consistently quicker than anyone who's played the game. Bont is as well, there's not many things as amazing as him striding out of a contested ball scenario....
    Objectively, no bias at all, Bont leaves Dangerfield, Hodge, Roos and anyone else who's played in the last 60 years in his wake. Bont does what blokes can't do. "It's him, of course it's him"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was a little Kid when EJ was playing and he was in his last years. Of the players I have seen play, I still rank Grant at the top, but Bont is closing in very fast and I would think he will surpass Chris.

I saw Grant in his first year as a 17 year old kicking 50 goals, and against some of the toughest fullbacks. But then again, it is hard to compare a KPP against a midfielder.

I used to remember looking up The Age stats on a Sunday and each week Grant's stats were ridiculous for about four years in a row. I lived in the east and didn't get to WO as much as I'd have liked so missed a lot of his football.

Living 750m from Waverley Park I should have gone to the 1992 elimination final against the Saints, but didn't because I had to go to a house in Ivanhoe to record my second choral singing album as a member of a choir. The album was never released.

I'd have gone to the other two finals that year but didn't for the same reason.........thanks angel voice.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to remember looking up The Age stats on a Sunday and each week Grant's stats were ridiculous for about four years in a row. I lived in the east and didn't get to WO as much as I'd have liked so missed a lot of his football.

Living 750m from Waverley Park I should have gone to the 1992 elimination final against the Saints, but didn't because I had to go to a house in Ivanhoe to record my second choral singing album as a member of a choir. The album was never released.

I'd have gone to the other two finals that year but didn't for the same reason.........thanks angel voice.
    It was the Semi, comfortable win over the Saints, brought back to earth in the Prelim by G'long with another 10 goal loss on top of the same margin in the Qualifying. Your mum and your choral ambitions did you a big favour, JM. If it makes you feel better, I share your pain, growing up in West Footscray when Footscray was really Footscray, playing footy with your mates on the vacant block next door and your mother (I had one just the same), coming out and calling over the fence "come inside D...ent, it's time for your piano practice", scarred for life

9. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    It was the Semi, comfortable win over the Saints, brought back to earth in the Prelim by G'long with another 10 goal loss on top of the same margin in the Qualifying. Your mum and your choral ambitions did you a big favour, JM.
    In those days a semi but technically an elimination final.

I'll tell my mum you said that.

11. Likes D Mitchell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In those days a semi but technically an elimination final.

I'll tell my mum you said that.
    OK but don't tell her about the following sentence and the scarring for life, mums mean well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Ron McKeon gave young Chris a real welcome to VFL at Victoria Park, probably young Chris' 4th or 5th game.

Post Thanks / Like

Nets.*

*It's a short runway to the Nets these days.
    Well after nearly 5 and a half thousand posts getting to the nets sorta makes me feel I've finally made it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

There are some things you just don’t put on the record.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

16. Likes jazzadogs, bulldogsthru&thru, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    THIS.

I'm increasingly irritated by the media circle jerk around Bont being the greatest Bulldog because it's a thinly veiled clip at our past greats - that or just plain ignorance.

My grandfather was adamant that Teddy was the best he'd seen, and he wasn't as one-eyed as I am. Said he could be best on ground no matter where he played, and he played everywhere. Mike Sheahan had him at number 3 in his top 50 of all time 20 or so years ago and there were complaints that he wasn't number 1. He's in the conversation as the greatest of all time.

So if Bont is better than EJ then the corollary is that Bont is in the conversation for the greatest of all time. Yet I'd bet that if you were to ask any of these seagulls to rank Bont in an all time list they'd probably put him down in the 40s or something. It's so disrespectful to EJ.

Kane Cornes made a list of the top players since 2010, and had Bont 4th behind Ablett, Franklin and Martin. I think most would also have Dangerfield ahead. Then if you walk it back by another decade most would have Riewoldt, Judd, Voss, Buckley and Pavlich ahead too.

Just shows how casually our players are discarded from history, and how irrelevant we still are in the eyes of most.
    I guess the discussion on woof of where Bontempelli sits as an all time bulldog great is also a circle jerk?

Hard disagree by having the discussion is disrespectful to Whitten and our other past legends.

We as supporters should be proud that honoured that people outside of our four walls are acknowledging the greatness before our eyes. IMO by you shutting it down so mater of factly is disrespectful to Bontempelli.

All I know is other than Whitten no other player in our history has been consistently acknowledged as the games best or second best player for the past four odd years and long may it continue.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We?ve established that was actually mine and Jeemak?s fault.
    I should have known.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    For those of you that haven?t been lucky enough to see the clip, Sheahan says that he has an ongoing text chat with Kane Cornes. He said that they?re on opposite ends of the spectrum about the Dogs - that Kane is too harsh on Beveridge and, and that Sheahan thinks we?re a one man team.

You ever seen two guys take opposing arguments and both be wrong?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I guess the discussion on woof of where Bontempelli sits as an all time bulldog great is also a circle jerk
    Absolutely not. My point wasn't to denigrate Bont, I think he's absolutely worthy of the discussion. My point is that the discussion is not just who is the best Bulldog ever, but who is the best player full stop, because that is where Ted Whitten sits. We're all aware of that, but the media personalities driving this narrative are not, because I haven't heard Bont mentioned as the GOAT even once.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

21. Likes bornadog, Uninformed liked this post