Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goodbye Season 2024

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Comrade you missed Port
    Whoops, edited.

Post Thanks / Like

We are still in it until we are mathematically out.

Some tough games to come but very winnable as well if we are good enough. We have had some really solid wins this year and the losses have not been crazy.

The key is consistency now if we are any chance.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the 2 games that caused such heartburn, one was against a team who has been top 4 most of the last few weeks and the other was against a team that is on a hot streak only bettered by Sydney.

This year is the most "any given Sunday" season I can recall. Throw a blanket over everyone from Carlton all the way to Brisbane - it is that tight. Good health at the right time will have a massive say in who wins the flag this year.

We have developed a turnover game almost in secret and also kept our clearance/stoppage game intact most weeks, all while doing it with a number of changes in personnel/structure on the run. To get to parity at the bye gives us the chance to rest up and reload for a strong burst whilst getting almost all our troops back. We have the capacity to go on a run if we are good enough - I know we have some difficult matches coming up but I suspect all our future opponents will not look forward to playing us the rest of the season.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

7-7 at the bye. Out of the 8 by half a game. Out of the top 4 by 2 games, but with a percentage that would put us 2nd.

Loads to play for and loads of shuffling. From 2nd through to 13th all teams are a reasonable chance of making the 8 and possibly the top 4. Our run home is not easy, but we have a lot of 8 point games so destiny is in our hands. At our best we are top 4. Just need to avoid games like the Brissy, Essendon and Melbourne games.

6. Likes Mat Lyons liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liveladders has us with 6 wins for the rest of the year. Finishing 7th, owing to percentage.

With the responsibility to beat Essendon in finals again at 6th. To keep the run going.

No pressure. But liveladders has it on us to make 17 clubs happy for another year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Testekill, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Liveladders has us with 6 wins for the rest of the year. Finishing 7th, owing to percentage.

With the responsibility to beat Essendon in finals again at 6th. To keep the run going.

No pressure. But liveladders has it on us to make 17 clubs happy for another year.
    We will finish 4th and play Sydney in Sydney in first final.

That means we avoid them until the GF.
    Someone else will need to take Essendon out if they hang on to a finals spot.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

If we stay focused, do our job and simply account for the mobs we're reasonably expected to (which of course we're especially renowned for) en route to a 6-3 tally down the stretch you'd be nursing some satisfaction until a few ladder predictor simulations predicated on fairly mundane results reveal we could still easily miss by a game.

Barring a collapse of Essendonian proportions I reckon the current top 6 make the cut, Brisbane finds a way in, and it's a colossal shitfight for the remaining spot.

Assuming Melbourne basically pack it in and revert to the Melbourne we all know and love, it'd be extra helpful if Freo continue to run hot and cold and Port get progressively more wobbly which we can have a direct hand in, in a couple of weeks.

That aside, that final home and away versus the Giants looms yuge.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    For sure, we need some list fixes immediately or we?ll burn through next year at least too.

Then do we fire sale Lobb, Daniel &/or Macrae who are shadows of themselves?

But we?ve signed everyone long term so, list spots are thin too?
    As the Opening Poster, you put the cue in the rack, saying our season was over in May and now looking to 'fix the list' and Fire Sale three critically important players. Owch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Lyons View Post
    As the Opening Poster, you put the cue in the rack, saying our season was over in May and now looking to 'fix the list' and Fire Sale three critically important players. Owch!
    Yes. I think we are still one win behind finishing in the 8. Interesting you might have missed what I asked (a question) do we move on player or players (see &/or) with rumoured interest from other clubs for strategic list management purposes. I’d read the quoted post. Good to see you posting without a url link.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Lyons View Post
    Lobb and Daniel aren't critically important, and while I still think Macrae has something to offer I'm not sure I'd put him in the "critically important" group either.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lobb and Daniel aren't critically important, and while I still think Macrae has something to offer I'm not sure I'd put him in the "critically important" group either.
    It certainly is a unique perspective. Lobb got a game to injuries, Daniel has had a poor year by and large and the jury is out on Macrae, but here’s hoping they can all have strong finishes to the season. Not sure they’re critical to long term success in a vacuum either.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post