Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  79
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    And Lewis. The dude who won the rising star.

Hell I can't even remember the guys name.
    Lewis Taylor. Yeah what a terrible decision that was in hindsight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Sheahan Ready to Put Bontempelli on E.J's Level at the Western Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Lewis Taylor. Yeah what a terrible decision that was in hindsight.
    In hindsight?
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I said opposing arguments
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes hujsh, EasternWest, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If there was any way to post pictures on this site I would have some really online stuff to show you
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was born when EJ played, but I don't ever remember him playing so its hard to compare apples and apples. When you talk best Bulldog ever, the first names mentioned are always going to be EJ, Dougie, Chris Grant and now Bont. Bont doing Bont things is a pleasure to watch, but there always seems to be a bit of unco-ness about him (he looks clumsy, even though he is very clean with his hands and by foot).

I have and will always be a Dougie fan ... he was the reason I became a Bulldogs supporter. But the Bont is best Bulldog I have seen play.

As a side note, do you think we can make the round-a-bout out the front of Bontempelli Oval (formally known as Whitten Oval) a little bigger for our homage to The Bont??
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I said opposing arguments

Post Thanks / Like

Gvgjr enters the room
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gvgjr enters the room
    He can shut this one down but two more will rise in its place. I'm not stopping until the world is Setka'd

12. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Chris Grant had the yips but kicked 550 goals in half a career, coming second in the Brownlow as a CHB and polling the most votes as a CHF. Criminally underrated, unfortunately playing for a team that didn't get as much coverage as we might have liked.

Bont in his career to date is level with Grant as the best I've seen. He'll have him covered by the time it wraps up.

EJ was the defining player of his era, I struggle to wrap my head around how Bont can be considered better than him in lieu of him not being considered in the top five of his.

Does Bont have more competition than EJ did?
    Less?

Jack Collins was a superstar. Charlie Sutton is a bullgod and Merv Hobbs was a Morris/Wood hybrid according to the old heads over heard talk about them.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I always read this debate in a different way. When you compare EJ with Bont, I consider it as though we are comparing them player vs player and not in their own respective eras.

Yes EJ was dominant in his own era, and you could argue Bont may not even be in the conversation of best player for the last 20 years, but if you were to pit them one against each other in any era, Bont would be the superior player without question.

I know it's not that cut and dry, and EJ played in the era where football was not a professional sport by any means, but as far as football ability goes, I can't see how Bont will not end up as the best bulldog player to ever pull on the jumper. Could you imagine if we transported Bont back to the 50s to play footy? He'd be seen as an alien. 194cms tall, quick, strong, skilled and smart, running 14kms a game.

That's the fun of the discussion I suppose, you can't actually compare them, so we may as well just enjoy we're watching one of the all time greats in person and in high definition every weekend.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He can shut this one down but two more will rise in its place. I'm not stopping until the world is Setka'd
    Are unions a cult? I've got no idea legit question for EW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are unions a cult? I've got no idea legit question for EW.
    Without question.

The fanatical cries and refrains of "union!!!" "POWER!!!" at union meetings are a frightening sight to behold.

I'm more scared there than anywhere else.

Zealots of any creed terrify me.

Post Thanks / Like

Without question.

The fanatical cries and refrains of "union!!!" "POWER!!!" at union meetings are a frightening sight to behold.

I'm more scared there than anywhere else.

Zealots of any creed terrify me.
    Haaa. Classic.

I think that's the best thing about dogs fans..... Zero ego.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Less?

Jack Collins was a superstar. Charlie Sutton is a bullgod and Merv Hobbs was a Morris/Wood hybrid according to the old heads over heard talk about them.
    Merv Hobbs was a 5ft 8in rover/forward pocket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Merv Hobbs was a 5ft 8in rover/forward pocket.
    Hobbs roving to John Schultz was one of the greatest combinations ever. Right their with Farmer/Goggin at Geelong and Nichols/Gallagher at Carlton. What Hobbs could do that they couldn't, though, was elevate for an absolute speckie.