Thanks Thanks:  267
Likes Likes:  1,567
Page 149 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154 LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2302
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What were your thoughts pre draft MJP?
    Good player.

But I raised some issues around 'character'...not 'cos he's a bad person, just 'cos of some things I knew he had...ummm...I'm not sure how to say any of this nicely so I'm just going to go with 'character'.

Basically, he has a lot of tools to make it but not necessarily the resilience. I had another horse in the race that year (he went to Sydney) and was very keen that 'my player' was better (and significantly) than the one from down the highway.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Good player.

But I raised some issues around 'character'...not 'cos he's a bad person, just 'cos of some things I knew he had...ummm...I'm not sure how to say any of this nicely so I'm just going to go with 'character'.

Basically, he has a lot of tools to make it but not necessarily the resilience. I had another horse in the race that year (he went to Sydney) and was very keen that 'my player' was better (and significantly) than the one from down the highway.
    You have got a good eye with the Sydney pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Smith?s European ?pre-season? photo sets tongues wagging ahead of AFL trade period

The sidelined AFL star is putting himself to work on holiday ahead of his career-altering contract decision.

Western Bulldogs star Bailey Smith has taken his recovery from the depths of season-ending ACL surgery to the heights of a hilltop European holiday.

Suffering the dreaded knee injury in December during pre-season training, the owner of the most famous mullet in the AFL was afforded a few weeks to soak up Europe?s sunny rays during his monotonous rehab schedule.

Camping out in France?s stunning coastal spot Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, the 23-year-old dived head first into the croissant breakfasts and turquoise waters.
    Documenting his travels and lifestyle through regular Instagram updates, Smith skipped over to Sicily where he continued his Vitamin D-fuelled recovery.

The AFL poster boy shared his White Lotus-inspired getaway to his 329,000 followers as he enjoyed picturesque Taormina views.

Made famous by the scandalous show?s second season, the Sicilian town?s umbrella-laden coastline, steep streets and endless sunshine were on full display.

The change of scenery was suggested by Smith?s surgeon and supported by the club to combat the mental load of long-term recovery.

Smith?s photos of himself training on holiday ? with Sherrin in hand ? set Bulldog tongues wagging as fans pushed for the out-of-contract star to re-sign for next year and beyond.

?Looking forward to seeing you back next year in the red, white and blue,? one wrote, with a fellow Dogs fan even hoping Smith could return in time for this year?s finals series.

?I hope you?ve got pen in hand, ready to sign on again at the kennel Baz,? another said.

Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn have all been linked to Smith, and Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge recently stopped short of saying he expects the speedster to remain at the club.

?Welcome to the Hawks,? wrote one fan, with another Hawthorn supporter adding: ?James Sicily said he will give up number 6 for you when you throw on the brown and gold.?

Wherever he ends up, Smith is doing all he can to get ready.

?Pre-season all over again,? Smith wrote alongside a snap of his heart rate after another holiday workout.

?Love this s***.?

Beveridge still wants Smith to stick around at the Bulldogs but could not say he ?expects? him to re-sign.

?I think he?s got a lot of work to do and we haven?t got our head in the sand, we know that there?s a number of clubs who Bailey appeals to,? the coach told Channel 7?s Talking Footy.

?We?re working behind the scenes to make sure that he?s able to come back fit and healthy and strong, first and foremost.

?But secondary to that, I know he feels like he?s a significant part of the football club.

?It?s just that in the market and the short space of time that the playing group have to work within, if there?s a club or two or three that come at him with an astronomical deal, he may not be able to knock it back.

?There?s obviously stories about players probably sacrificing some of that to stay in an environment and we?ll work with him on his thought processes around that.?

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Trade. Kthxbai.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The Club have given him space and an opportunity to build his brand and Barry Beer company. This would be a significant boost to his finances and hopefully offset potential gains from Clubs throwing cash at him. With the relationships he has at the Club, the love we've shown him and his values, I expect him to remain.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A must re-signing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Lyons View Post
    The Club have given him space and an opportunity to build his brand and Barry Beer company. This would be a significant boost to his finances and hopefully offset potential gains from Clubs throwing cash at him. With the relationships he has at the Club, the love we've shown him and his values, I expect him to remain.
    I think this is a pretty old school take.

Why on earth wouldn't a young narcissist take the money from his outside interests AND the big contract somewhere else?

Don't get me wrong I don't blame him for that, girls girls get that cash, just that the romantic notion of someone taking less out of loyalty is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A must re-signing
    Nah. There's only two of those at our club and he ain't one of them.

11. Likes bulldogtragic, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think this is a pretty old school take.

Why on earth wouldn't a young narcissist take the money from his outside interests AND the big contract somewhere else?

Don't get me wrong I don't blame him for that, girls girls get that cash, just that the romantic notion of someone taking less out of loyalty is dead.
    IDK if I have read this correctly but there is definitely 'loyalty' still left in footy. What loyalty is or was is up for debate. IDK how much of it was ever about the club/fans as fans like to think of it but I believe in still very much still remains in terms of staying with your mates, familiar surroundings and for a rate few, ingrained in the club (future legends who are really connected to the place).

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to put this under the FOLLOWING OUR EXES................... thread but I just haven't seen the horizontally challenged lady sing yet.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    IDK if I have read this correctly but there is definitely 'loyalty' still left in footy. What loyalty is or was is up for debate. IDK how much of it was ever about the club/fans as fans like to think of it but I believe in still very much still remains in terms of staying with your mates, familiar surroundings and for a rate few, ingrained in the club (future legends who are really connected to the place).
    Nominally I agree, but "loyalty" also comes at a price point.

Eg if I'm earning 800 K a year and another club offers me 850 K I'd probably be "loyal". If they offer me 1.1 I'm out of there. My mates are still my mates, just now we can afford even better rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Nominally I agree, but "loyalty" also comes at a price point.

Eg if I'm earning 800 K a year and another club offers me 850 K I'd probably be "loyal". If they offer me 1.1 I'm out of there. My mates are still my mates, just now we can afford even better rack.
    For sure, but has that ever not been the case? It's always been 'loyalty' rather than loyalty. Of course loyalty is tested the bigger the possible temptation.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it's why we see such long contracts. If I am going to cop a significant amount less a season, I want to make sure I have some insurance if I do a couple of ACLs type thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    For sure, but has that ever not been the case? It's always been 'loyalty' rather than loyalty. Of course loyalty is tested the bigger the possible temptation.
    Well Chris Grant springs immediately to mind

Post Thanks / Like

Well Chris Grant springs immediately to mind
    Definitely. But as with any human behavioural element or whatever the correct term is, there are going to be outliers. No era ever had Chris Grant anywhere near the norm for loyalty standard.

Bailey Smith is perhaps a bit expectational the other way and the club doesn't really seem to fit him. He is pretty unique with how huge his brand is. I don't enough enough to truly judge the situation but we really don't seem to fit his brand. I would not be surprised at all if he leaves for a similiar/exact amount as money aside, he simply prefers say Collingwood over us.

19. Likes Bullies liked this post