Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  88
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 16 VS North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You?re effectively saying:

Lobb forward & Naughton back > Naughton forward & Buku (or whoever isn?t Naughts) back

I think you?re probably right but we?ll never get a chance to have it proven or not.
    There's also Darcy. When it comes to playing the 'interceptor' role he can also do it and I'd trust him more after marking the ball. He's pretty much a menace in any part of the ground except a little as the ruck (for now)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In terms of Naughts going back to allow Lobb to keep his spot:
    - I believe Naughts adds more value to our side as a forward rather than as a defender
    - I also believe Lobb has more value as a R2/KPF than whoever we select alongside Jones and JOD as a KPD

I guess to me it's value we get from having Lobb in over say Buku/Buss - value we lose from moving Naughts.
    This has been my thought for a while. Naughton is a great forward and will be a great defender I believe.
    He has all the attributes.

The team just looks better with him back.

Why is it when we have a surplus of mids we are ok with playing the forward (Richards was forward rolling up v Freo) but we get so caught up with KPPs.

Theres an argument to be had that not all mids will make good forwards.

It would make a mockery of any perceived meritocracy if Lobb gets dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This has been my thought for a while. Naughton is a great forward and will be a great defender I believe.

Why is it when we have a surplus of mids we are ok with playing the forward (Richards was forward rolling up v Freo) but we get so caught up with KPPs.

Theres an argument to be had that not all mids will make good forwards.

It would make a mockery of any perceived meritocracy if Lobb gets dropped.
    On paper, we don't really know how it looks in practice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    On paper, we don't really know how it looks in practice
    Yep absolutely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

An elite forward is 100% better than an elite back. to the value of a team

Just look at Melbourne with two great KPDs, but they struggle to kick goals beacuse no KPF good enough.

Backs don't win you games, goals do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Just look at Melbourne with two great KPDs, but they struggle to kick goals beacuse no KPF good enough.

We?d have Lobb, Darcy & Marra forward. All 3 are better than Melbourne?s best key forward option.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne, is that the club that won a GF (that didn't count) with Happy Days favourite full forward Ben Brown?

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We?d have Lobb, Darcy & Marra forward. All 3 are better than Melbourne?s best key forward option.
    Are you forgetting Schache kicked four goals in the wet?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes EasternWest, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Melbourne, is that the club that won a GF (that didn't count) with Happy Days favourite full forward Ben Brown?
    I don’t have any memory of that at all?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don’t have any memory of that at all?
    Hadn’t heard it either. It’s like the opposite of Butters coming to the Dogs.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure that is always the case, Liam Jones is arguably our most valuable player, he goes down and we are stuffed plus we do have a surplus of tall forwards and two quality small forwards at our expense, we rolled with just Jamarra and Lobb as our key forwards v Freo and kicked our highest score of the season.

Most of the Naughton to CHB talk over the past few seasons i believe revolved around not trusting his set shots for goals, funny thing is that has improved considerably this season yet for the structure of the team it's probably seen more as what actually helps the team rather than where he plays his best footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Gun forward nears return as Dogs face selection squeeze

WESTERN Bulldogs key forward Aaron Naughton is on track to face North Melbourne this Saturday at Marvel Stadium, creating a selection conundrum for Luke Beveridge.

Naughton has been sidelined for the past month after sustaining a moderate grade medial collateral ligament injury in the loss to Sydney in round 11.

The West Australian was expected to miss up to six weeks after escaping an anterior cruciate ligament tear, but has made strong progress and has this fixture circled.

Naughton completed a light session at the Whitten Oval on Monday, but will need to prove his fitness at Wednesday's main training before being given the green light to resume his season.

Young gun Sam Darcy is available after serving a two-game suspension prior to the bye for a late hit on Collingwood defender Brayden Maynard in round 12.

The 20-year-old should come straight back in after kicking 22 goals from 11 games to start 2024, before losing his Telstra AFL Rising Star eligibility on the same weekend as 2023 pick No.1 Harley Reid.

Rory Lobb has spent more time playing for Footscray than the Western Bulldogs this year ? seven games in the VFL, six at AFL level ? but the former Giant and Docker produced his most complete performance last start since moving to Melbourne.

The 31-year-old, who is expected to request a trade in October despite having two years to run on his contract, finished with 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, seven hitouts, six marks and three goals against Fremantle in the 67-point win.

Lobb started the season ahead of Darcy but was dropped after round one and has only played when Jamarra Ugle-Hagan missed earlier in the season, before replacing Naughton when he went down. Beveridge hasn't played all four in the same side this year.

Off-season signing Nick Coffield will also need to pass a fitness test on Wednesday to book his return from a shoulder reconstruction.

The former top-10 pick played in round one but then dislocated his shoulder against Gold Coast in round two, undergoing surgery in March.

A decision will then be made later in the week regarding whether he plays against North Melbourne at Arden Street in the VFL or at Marvel Stadium against Alastair Clarkson?s side.

Former Demon James Harmes could also be available to face the Kangaroos after being sidelined since straining his hamstring against the Magpies in round 12.

The Dogs reached the bye one game adrift of the eight at 7-7 after winning four of their previous six games ahead of the weekend off.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow - Naughton, Darcy, Coffield, Harmes to come into a team that demolished Freo.

Yes I said Harmes.

Post Thanks / Like

That is some real selection headache.

I kinda feel bad for Lobb. Puts in a great, selfless performance only to get dropped.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is this was written before today's training session.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"