Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soapbox - Round 15

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Interesting (for want of a better word) listening to a number of media pundits blaming the Port players rather than the coach for their poor efforts. There is little talk of ‘losing the player group’ etc If this were us the media would be baying for Bevo’s blood saying things like ‘lost the playing group’, ‘no game plan’ , ‘time for a change’ etc - the bias is unbelievable. They are pointing to Hinkley”s win/ loss record for coaches over 200 games and how successful he is (2nd on the list) - don’t show any stats about his poor finals record in comparison to other coaches who have coached 200+ games. Typical media always showing stats to support their own arguments. Unbelievable.
    I actually don't mind that to an extent - this media bloodsport in wanting coaches sacked really needs to stop.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But more importantly, where is Schache
    Is Schache still playing? Is he injured? There are plenty of opportunities at the Dees. Sadly he is just not good enough. Has talent but zero hardness

3. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Is Schache still playing? Is he injured? There are plenty of opportunities at the Dees. Sadly he is just not good enough. Has talent but zero hardness
    I was just joking. I don't rate him at all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    This is a convenient thing to say now when you spent all of the last two years lamenting him not playing first ruck.

As there's no way to check that's what you actually said I'm happy to go off my memory of you being a Sweet booster.
    LOL.

To be fair, I wasn't a Sweet hater really either...what I DID hate was the constant harping on about the non-selection of Sweet (and Young before him) together with the constant criticism of McComb (and Gardner before him)...hence the creation of the "Sugar Free Zone" where none of those topics were permitted.

All of which reminds me of some commentary from a couple of weeks ago in the Collingwood vs North game. Once of the Collingwood players...:

"He's tried to sell some candy to LDU - but young Luke does NOT have a sweet tooth and he has dragged him to the ground in a crushing tackle - HOLDING THE BALL"....

I swear I laughed for 10-minutes at the "he doesn't have a sweet tooth" line...it actually doesn't sound that original but I've either never heard it before or am so old that I'd forgotten when!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Sadly I think the guy's off field stuff has caught up with him. A lot of 'disgruntled' Demons fans talking about his extra-curricular activities.
    Shame really as with his huge tank as a wing you'd think the MCG would suit him
    Yes I've heard the same. He rarely was injured with us.

Post Thanks / Like

My Monday (Tuesday) Soap Box is the graduated bye-round. I know we have spoken on WOOF at great length about the biased fixture, but the graduated bye-round has got to go. When coupled with the Opening Round byes as well, there is such a disadvantage for teams that have their bye in Round 15.

My suggestion (and my wish); Every team have a two-week bye after Round 12. The very next week, State of Origin returns played on the first bye week. The second bye week, no footy. Everyone gets the chance to recover.
    WOOF Member 422

9. Likes josie, GVGjr, Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My problem is the media calling Petracca brave . It was stupid.
    The medical brigade at Melbourne were irresponsible
    I’m not blaming Petracca at all but it’s just a game.
    How the hell you can call it brave is ridiculous.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    My problem is the media calling Petracca brave . It was stupid.
    The medical brigade at Melbourne were irresponsible
    I’m not blaming Petracca at all but it’s just a game.
    How the hell you can call it brave is ridiculous.
    The world has changed a bit now and self-awareness with injuries and illness are actually encouraged now.
    Any decent manager would encourage a work colleague to go home if they were unwell because of the risk of spreading it to others.
    Petracca is dedicated and clearly he wanted to fight through the pain for the sake of the team but he needed someone on the bench or the coach to say thanks Champ but we've got it from here.
    I agree that Brave might not be the right term but you can see what they mean.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The world has changed a bit now and self-awareness with injuries and illness are actually encouraged now.
    Any decent manager would encourage a work colleague to go home if they were unwell because of the risk of spreading it to others.
    Petracca is dedicated and clearly he wanted to fight through the pain for the sake of the team but he needed someone on the bench or the coach to say thanks Champ but we've got it from here.
    I agree that Brave might not be the right term but you can see what they mean.
    I work for a well respected government agency. We just had an all staff and the 2ic was sick. They were at pains to praise her for taking time off to care for herself.

When I started at the same org 25 years ago it was you only miss a day if your parent died. Even then come back after the funeral.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I work for a well respected government agency. We just had an all staff and the 2ic was sick. They were at pains to praise her for taking time off to care for herself.

When I started at the same org 25 years ago it was you only miss a day if your parent died. Even then come back after the funeral.
    Some would argue that's oxymoronic.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Some would argue that's oxymoronic.
    Beat me to it.

Well respected government agency is right up there with Military Intelligence
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes jeemak liked this post