Thanks Thanks:  267
Likes Likes:  1,567
Page 153 of 154 FirstFirst ... 53103143144145146147148149150151152153154 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 2302
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    At his first finals campaign with us, he'd be a week away from 30. And there's a bit of talk about a debilitating back injury...

The potential opportunity cost in getting Barrass with the Bailey Smith compo isn't Bailey himself, it's an 18 year old version of Bailey Smith/Sanders/Selwood.
    Yeah that's absolutely the opportunity cost and I get it. But are we trying to win a flag in the next 1 or 2 seasons or not? Cos if we are, we need to swing for the fences. Our defensive stocks are near empty. If we lose Jones due to injury or form, our chances at a flag are cooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah that's absolutely the opportunity cost and I get it. But are we trying to win a flag in the next 1 or 2 seasons or not? Cos if we are, we need to swing for the fences. Our defensive stocks are near empty. If we lose Jones due to injury or form, our chances at a flag are cooked.
    That's always the risk.

I am not against chasing Barrass, but not with a top 10 pick. Barrass taking, say, $900k a year, and being in and out with a back injury for the best part of the next 4/5 seasons could also cost premierships.

At the time, most would have swapped the Bailey Smith draft pick for Chad Windgard, because he was "exactly what we needed".

If Buss was "definitely leaving" to West Coast, that would probably be the primary trade currency/player swap I'd be more comfortable with, despite the age difference.

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    To be slightly more accurate it's the chance we pick an 18 year old Selwood (and not 18 year old A.Everitt)
    Or Jarrad Grant!

People were threatening to not renew their memberships if we swapped that pick for Jack Kennedy and Pick 20.

There's always a risk of a bust, no matter the player or how they're recruited.

I am biased, if it's an elite 29/30 year old vs an elite (top 10) rated 18 year old in a solid draft, the best outcome tends to skew towards the kid, purely on account of the additional 12 years they can contribute. There's dozens of failed top 10 picks that can make me look silly, but there's also dozens of players who looked top class at 29 and fell off a cliff by 31. You would want to be bloody sure those two-three years are worth it.

5. Likes GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has the edit button possibly been lost for some people? I meant West Coast's Josh Kennedy...

Post Thanks / Like

That's always the risk.

I am not against chasing Barrass, but not with a top 10 pick. Barrass taking, say, $900k a year, and being in and out with a back injury for the best part of the next 4/5 seasons could also cost premierships.

At the time, most would have swapped the Bailey Smith draft pick for Chad Windgard, because he was "exactly what we needed".

If Buss was "definitely leaving" to West Coast, that would probably be the primary trade currency/player swap I'd be more comfortable with, despite the age difference.
    I'm of the same opinion. Let's draft another midfielder.

There's a bunch in the top 10 prospects.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...-levi-ashcroft

8. Likes Guido, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade buzz: Why Bailey Smith might not end up at Collingwood as new suitor sits at the front of the queue

Bailey Smith looks likely to leave the Western Bulldogs. Collingwood wants Bailey Smith. However, there?s another suitor who might already have the star midfielder?s signature.

Western Bulldogs midfielder Bailey Smith flies back into Melbourne this weekend after a brief European summer sojourn with Collingwood?s draft hand putting it behind the eight ball in securing him.

Industry sources still believe Geelong has the desire to add a pacy, mature-aged mid and the Surf Coast lifestyle that could attract a player who has spoken about dealing with the intense Melbourne football bubble.

Smith already has a strong connection with the Cotton On brand, which is why cheeky rivals say a move down Princes Highway is almost a done deal.

But any additional services agreement funding at Geelong would be heavily scrutinised by the AFL and would have to stack up from a commercial point of view.

The Magpies? only selection in the first two rounds of this year?s draft is Hawthorn?s second rounder, which could end up drifting into the 40s.

They could give up a future first-rounder but the Pies are known to be keen on key talls including Victoria?s Whitlock twins in the draft.

Hawthorn remains in the mix and could satisfy the Bulldogs? desire for a first-round pick, which is currently No. 6.

While the Bulldogs would prefer to keep the 23-year-old next year and beyond, their confidence levels have plummeted the longer the season has rolled on.

The Cats are considered the clubhouse leader, given their need for a midfielder refresh, though he is not the engine-room bull that coach Chris Scott has been craving.

The Dogs continue to chase West Coast intercept marker Tom Barrass, which the Herald Sun revealed in April, with their chase for another key back continuing.

Any first round selection they secure for Smith would be critical given they gave up their 2024 first-rounder to bring in Tasmanian first round pick Ryley Sanders last November

While Barrass knocked back offers from clubs such as Sydney last year, it is believed that he is open to considering what a fresh start would look like.

The Dogs have effectively begun planning for life after Smith, with Ed Richards moving into the midfield while others such as Harvey Gallagher have spent some time in there alongside the likes of Marcus Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore.

10. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has the edit button possibly been lost for some people? I meant West Coast's Josh Kennedy...
    Let me have a look for you.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks Guido thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it’s worth the mural on the side of Cornershop has been painted over.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Let me have a look for you.
    Given Guido's just smashed his yearly posting average throw all the resources you have at it G!

Good to see you back Guido.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Thanks GVGjr, Guido thanked for this post
    Likes dog town, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Trade buzz: Why Bailey Smith might not end up at Collingwood as new suitor sits at the front of the queue

While the Bulldogs would prefer to keep the 23-year-old next year and beyond, their confidence levels have plummeted the longer the season has rolled on.

How far could our hopes have actually plummeted? That assumes anyone was confident he'd be staying at some point in the last six months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How far could our hopes have actually plummeted? That assumes anyone was confident he'd be staying at some point in the last six months.
    And a new suitor? They were the original club rumoured…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And a new suitor? They were the original club rumoured…
    Outa the woodwork they've come they 'ave.

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Outa the woodwork they've come they 'ave.
    … pretty sure they would’ve reported last year about Dangerfield saying they’d love Baz at Geelong…

It’s creating an angle on a story that’s a straight line. Why an angle when there isn’t one. The guy obviously leaving going to the obvious choice that we’re chasing him last year and share a sponsor. honestly.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So on midweek tackle they said Smith was seen looking at real estate out Geelong way .. obviously we have a reporter reading woof .
    Ok time to come out, which one of you is it ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    So on midweek tackle they said Smith was seen looking at real estate out Geelong way .. obviously we have a reporter reading woof .
    Ok time to come out, which one of you is it ?
    BAD is Damian Barrett.