Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  59
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 17 VS Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    Just interested in why Ugle-Hagan escapes a level of scrutiny with his form that others would get buried for in terms of match committee selection?
    Is it because of his age or his potential or something else?
    I was talking to a Crows supporter work mate on Friday who said Marra "Trent Hentschel's" our supporters and match committee.
    I think it’s due to his effort , it’s there he just had a bad day marking , he still stretches the backline even if he isn’t having a good day he still kicked a couple.
    It could have been 4 or 5 .
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just interested in why Ugle-Hagan escapes a level of scrutiny with his form that others would get buried for in terms of match committee selection?
    Is it because of his age or his potential or something else?
    I was talking to a Crows supporter work mate on Friday who said Marra "Trent Hentschel's" our supporters and match committee.
    He's always threatening, works his arse off and invariably hits the scoreboard. I mean he's still young and has only played 57 games and has 23 goals this season.

He dropped 2 marks he should've taken yesterday his hands were off however still kicked 2 and was unlucky with one on the line.
    Ask him how Tilthorpe is going

Logan Mcdonald who went pick 4 after Marra has played in the best side this year and has less goals from more games.

What is the something else you are thinking?

4. Likes Stevo, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Say what now about Trent Hentschell?
    From memory he was nicknamed Trent Potential. Just a tease of a player that would give a glimpse of excelling but ultimately not equal to the hype.

Then the poor bastard got one of the worst injuries I can remember.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Dogs 24/7, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra busted up from his girlfriend so may be having head or heart issues.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's always threatening, works his arse off and invariably hits the scoreboard. I mean he's still young and has only played 57 games and has 23 goals this season.

He dropped 2 marks he should've taken yesterday his hands were off however still kicked 2 and was unlucky with one on the line.
    Ask him how Tilthorpe is going

Logan Mcdonald who went pick 4 after Marra has played in the best side this year and has less goals from more games.

What is the something else you are thinking?
    Work ethic should one of the non negotiable aspects of his game so working his arse off is what should be expected. While I'm not fussed about comparing him to players from other teams do we know if they escape criticism? I doubt they are on the same money.
    Vandermeer works hard but cops it every time he comes up short and as a comparison they have both played nearly the same of games in terms of experience. Marra has unlimited potential but 2024 has been a somewhat underwhelming season for him and yet he is given more of a free pass based on his Trent Henschell potential. I know our WOOF members and club supporters are not going to place him under the same level of scrutiny that others might be and that's cool with me but from a MC perspective I think it's a healthy debate to have regardless of it's a popular one.

9. Likes Stevo, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Marra busted up from his girlfriend so may be having head or heart issues.
    Surely playing football would be a welcome distraction if that is the case. He was getting shitty with his team mates which is out of character so maybe there is something to it. He has been disappointing for the majority of the season though.

Post Thanks / Like

Marra had a filthy game and still kicked two goals. He’s not going to drop three chest marks for the rest of his career, let alone in one game. Think we just forget about the whole thing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Go_Dogs, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I've seen a lot of this general 'Marra isn't getting criticised enough' sentiment so he probably is getting enough criticism when you factor in the normal criticism on top of that. If anything he seems to be a victim of people having warped expectations.

His development in terms of goals looks surprisingly linear. Per game he as averaged 1.1 in 2022, 1.5 in 2023 and currently 1.9 in 2024. Aside from 3 players no one averages much more than 2 goals a game. Hogan is next best on 2.4.

We have 4 players in this glut (Cody on 2.2, Naughton on 2 and Darcy on 1.9) which is great IMO as we're spreading the load and not looking one dimensional. If this is Marra having a poor year I can't wait to see what happens when he's in form. Just needs to up his accuracy a bit but it's far from unheard of (look at Naughts)

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Marra is going fine. He’s a much improved player and a few minor things with his execution could’ve turned a decent game into a very good one.

I’d bring in Harmes this week, need some speed and toughness especially if it’s going to be wet.

I’d give Gags a rest. He’s had a big year to date and while I think he’s being maligned because some prefer others get the opportunity, he’s made a few obvious errors the last few weeks.

Baker could be up for grabs - maybe Garcia? Haven’t checked the VFL thread yet.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Work ethic should one of the non negotiable aspects of his game so working his arse off is what should be expected. While I'm not fussed about comparing him to players from other teams do we know if they escape criticism? I doubt they are on the same money.
    Vandermeer works hard but cops it every time he comes up short and as a comparison they have both played nearly the same of games in terms of experience. Marra has unlimited potential but 2024 has been a somewhat underwhelming season for him and yet he is given more of a free pass based on his Trent Henschell potential. I know our WOOF members and club supporters are not going to place him under the same level of scrutiny that others might be and that's cool with me but from a MC perspective I think it's a healthy debate to have regardless of it's a popular one.
    Fair enough. I've been critical of him earlier in the season so he doesn't escape it from me. I thought he wasn't working hard enough to get into position.

He's really picked that up recently imo.

I'm ok with the debate, it's a good discussion wasn't meaning to shut it down just offering my view.

One improvement I've seen most recently is he is looking to share the ball with team mates more instead of going for the miracle goal.

Should we lower our expectations a little? He's not going to be Lance Franklin.

17. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough. I've been critical of him earlier in the season so he doesn't escape it from me. I thought he wasn't working hard enough to get into position.

I'm ok with the debate, it's a good discussion wasn't meaning to shut it down just offering my view.

One improvement I've seen most recently is he is looking to share the ball with team mates more instead of going for the miracle goal.

There was one yesterday where he probably went too far in the other direction (bad pass when it was maybe worth a shot) but previously you're right he'd have just shot or tried to fend and run around and eventually got caught because he wanted a goal instead

Post Thanks / Like

I rate this.

It’s natural that we often want the very early draft picks to be superstars, and many of them are, but only very few are the generational talents like Buddy was, that retire in the “best 20 to ever play the game” level.

Not saying many (any) are thinking that’s Marra’s trajectory here.

But it becomes a good question. Who do we expect Marra to be?
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I rate this.

It’s natural that we often want the very early draft picks to be superstars, and many of them are, but only very few are the generational talents like Buddy was, that retire in the “best 20 to ever play the game” level.

Exactly right. You generally find when our expectations aren't being met frustration ensues and you'll get questions asked against that perception.

The reality is Marra is a 194 cm athletic forward who is a nightmare matchup and is getting better by the week.
    He was very raw when he started having been drafted during the covid years so for him to be tracking along well at this stage is excellent news for us.
    I just wish him well and hope he's a successful career unaffected by the weight of comparison and his rank as an u/18.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I rate this.

I've always felt his ceiling was a 'Brendan Fevola' type player. Can take sides apart and kick bags, mercurial on his day but there's also a decent gap between best and worst.

I think we're pretty harsh on him because his mistakes seem to be relatively simple ones - the dropped chest marks, the missed set shots or the simple ball handling errors. It's encouraging that as he matures and becomes more comfortable, they should be the things that are ironed out of his game. He's still managing to kick a couple of goals per game despite making a lot of pretty simple stuff-ups.

He does a lot of the hard stuff - the big contested grabs and the mercurial goals from the boundary. If he cleans up the simple stuff we're going to have a complete footballer.

23. Likes Grantysghost, josie, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good points but I haven't read anything suggesting or taking an issue with him potentially earning top tier money from the game when that has been discussed. While we might be prepared to pay full market odds for his services at some point the market becomes a scale more than investing on potential and results will need to come.
    If we should lower bar with him as some suggest he might never achieve what he is capable of. At the moment I grant that it's premature but unless he starts putting in some good games it will become a talking point.
    I'm not comparing him to Buddy or anyone else as that wouldn't be fair but he's clearly out of form.