Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  229
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to pull the Liam Jones move.

So he played well on Teakle and Pink yesterday. How do we feel about him taking McKay or Curnow in two weeks?

My thoughts are... It's better than the alternatives!

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    So he played well on Teakle and Pink yesterday. How do we feel about him taking McKay or Curnow in two weeks?

This is the test of the experiment. I was happy for him and the team/coaches yesterday. But he probably gets Curnow and then we’ll see how successful it is. But he will take a lot of confidence from his performance which is great as he seems very much a confidence player. We’ve been playing smaller (Coffield, Khamis, Cleary) so it will be interesting having a 200cm+ mature body down there and if that allows Jones some more freedom to impact the game and his man. If the Jones/Lobb/JOD or Buss trio can hold down the fort, while hoping Naughty, Marra & Darcy find a rhythm, then our talls will be really imposing for the balance of the year. The issue right now is English in our talls group.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes WBFC4FFC, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb's pretty good aerobically should have no worries about him going with Curnow but Curnow also looks really strong so I dunno about that.

One swallow does not a summer make, but Lobb was pretty good yesterday. I was particularly impressed by his feel for the game/reading of the play. Those things aren't easily taught and are usually the vibe, and he did alright.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the Age
    While he spent time in defence against Greater Western Sydney last season, this was Lobb?s first full game in a key role, and he proved adept at intercept marking and finding the ball when manned on Brynn Teakle.

Bontempelli said Lobb?s forward and ruck craft would stand him in good stead in defence, while Beveridge said Lobb was under consideration to play permanently in the back half, particularly as regular defenders Alex Keath and Ryan Gardner are injured.

?I thought he was very good, really happy with that outcome and how well Rory played. He took five intercept marks, a number of critical spoils. He was able to use his speed, at times, for a big man, to close space. And I thought he was pretty composed when he had the ball for most of the night, so that?s a real win for us,? Beveridge said.

?He is too good a player to miss out week to week.?

If the Bulldogs and Lobb agree to a permanent shift, the former Docker, who crossed to the Whitten Oval last season on big money but has struggled to have a consistent impact, could lean on teammate Liam Jones for advice. Jones was also a key forward before reinvigorating his career in defence.

Lobb had been mentioned in trade speculation earlier this season, but was so embarrassed by the media headlines that he approached Beveridge to apologise, despite admitting he had been unaware why the reports had surfaced.

?He is a great person, Rory, and I really enjoy coaching him, we all do,? Beveridge said.

?As much as I said, prior to this game, he has been searching for some consistency in a couple of areas, he has always kept his chin up. He has probably had one game since he has played with us where he probably hasn?t been at the top of his game with his mindset, and that was at the state league level where there was a lot going on in his life and behind the scenes. But, other than that one state league time, every time he has just met the challenge that we have asked him to meet, and his confidence will get a real boost from this game this afternoon.?

Bontempelli said Lobb had much to offer in defence.

?Sometimes you have just got to make it up and make it happen, and I thought it was a really good test ? he was great,? Bontempelli said.
    I think Lobb will play on Harry McKay and Jones on Curnow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lobb's pretty good aerobically should have no worries about him going with Curnow but Curnow also looks really strong so I dunno about that.

One swallow does not a summer make, but Lobb was pretty good yesterday. I was particularly impressed by his feel for the game/reading of the play. Those things aren't easily taught and are usually the vibe, and he did alright.
    Bang on about reading the play. If our mids don’t turn up and Lobb’s man gets to lead and get great service (like others) he will get shown up. If we can make oppo mids kick long and high, and rushed, then I think Lobb will a handful to play on, as you say he reads it well and has the reach to mark of spoil to a degree other options just can’t do. For his sake, I hope our mids turn up week defensively in and out as it will make his life easier. While also allowing us to judge him a little more fairly.

Let’s say he plays ok for the rest of the year down back. I wonder if playing means he’s happy to stay as he’s playing and being payed well. Or, if he sees himself as a forward and still wants to kick goals. With Keath set to retire there’s a spot him. But if we land Barass, then maybe he looks elsewhere. Or we take the compo for Tim and he’s a ruck. He’s a fascinating player to watch right now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes EasternWest, Stevo, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He played on Teakle and Pink like he was playing on Teakle and Pink. Gave them zero respect and got his own shit in. This is a good thing and is exactly what we need.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, EasternWest, jazzadogs, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watching the highlights again...

Has he ever attacked the ball in the air for us, the way he did on the weekend? One of my big criticisms of him as a forward was he failed to impact aerial contests. Is it because his run wasn't being blocked?

Post Thanks / Like

Has he ever attacked the ball in the air for us, the way he did on the weekend? One of my big criticisms of him as a forward was he failed to impact aerial contests. Is it because his run wasn't being blocked?
    That and maybe in defence he knows he has to impact the contest?

Up forward he knows most high balls are being competed for by JUH and or Naughton as well, plus sometimes he would be trying to hold space to allow them a better go at it. So either he knows maybe he isn't the best guy to go for it or is actively making himself a support player.

In defence there isn't the luxury of the "real" target coming over the top, he either impacts the contest or loses the contest. He has to go. As a recent dud movie puts it "With great responsibility, there comes great power".
    Last edited by soupman; 01-07-2024 at 12:03 AM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

His role is simplified in defence versus being the third and least targeted tall in our forward line.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he was actually very good as a forward at 'holding out' from a contest when Naughton or Marra had the better position (unlike the two of them who tend to fly at everything).

But I think you're both right that the change in mindset of 'killing the contest is a win' vs 'either me, Naughton or JUH must mark this ball' will have helped.

I'm keen/wary to see how he will cope in a genuine contested defensive 1v1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He played on Teakle and Pink like he was playing on Teakle and Pink.
    Teakle and Pink sounds like a dubious early 90's British comedy duo
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Teakle and Pink sounds like a dubious early 90's British comedy duo
    80's New Wave band.

Post Thanks / Like

Teakle?d Pink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Teakle?d Pink.
    That's solid work and I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just put in here that if you berated Bevo for moving Lobb back vs GWS at Ballarat last year then you should be banned from praising him from doing the same thing 12-months later. I mean, it's not like he's been crafting with the backs throughout the interim.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.