Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Monday Soap Box - Round 16

Let's hear your thoughts on the round?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round 16

Supporters not showing up.

Yes it was a North home game, but come on, under the roof at our home ground - support the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Yes it was a North home game, but come on, under the roof at our home ground - support the team.
    Really poor turnout given at least at Marvel you don't have to subjected to the weather conditions.
    It's becoming more evident that while the AFL and the clubs are supposed to be growing their membership numbers at impressive rates it's not resulting in good attendances for our games and I suggest a few other clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Really poor turnout given at least at Marvel you don't have to subjected to the weather conditions.
    It's becoming more evident that while the AFL and the clubs are supposed to be growing their membership numbers at impressive rates it's not resulting in good attendances for our games and I suggest a few other clubs.
    Our home match against Essendon, there were 50K there, but I bet lot of Essendon supporters (I missed the game due to holiday)

Not sure how you fix it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It feels like the emphasis on the "Blockbuster" has amplified those games at the cost of others. The overall numbers look good but nothing has changed for Dogs, North, Saints and I expect when Melbourne slide for them too.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our home match against Essendon, there were 50K there, but I bet lot of Essendon supporters (I missed the game due to holiday)

Not sure how you fix it.
    Somehow have themed games as it appears that's what attracts people now?

I've always thought a game to celebrate our working class roots v the Pies would be something but I get it could be too political.

Setka.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It feels like the emphasis on the "Blockbuster" has amplified those games at the cost of others. The overall numbers look good but nothing has changed for Dogs, North, Saints and I expect when Melbourne slide for them too.
    We are up slightly year on year (averages), but yes I agree the blockbusters skew the overall figures.

9. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My soap box.

Essendon supporters whinging about umpires, then getting sucked in by the malevolent click bait to futher augment their mass hysteria.
    Um, you lost by 8 goals and had 3 more free kicks.

Also, Clarkson whinging about Weightman. Awwwwww....does the fella who abuses women reporters, punches holes in walls, calls people c$%ksuckers, abuses opposition players, had a team ethos of unsociable football etc etc not like it when someone sucks in your dopey defenders.

On that topic Aidan Corr - what a flog. Talk about faux tough guy. He needs to desour and sweeten.

11. Likes bornadog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how you fix it.
    The bigger clubs are growing their memberships and then filling out the stadiums they play at but it looks like the smaller clubs like us are really struggling to get their supporters too games. It might be the scheduling of games but hearing that we are going to probably crack 60K members this years is fast becoming a David Copperfield slight of hand party trick.

Post Thanks / Like

My soap box.

Essendon supporters whinging about umpires, then getting sucked in by the malevolent click bait to futher augment their mass hysteria.

Also, Clarkson whinging about Weightman. Awwwwww....does the fella who abuses women reporters, punches holes in walls, calls people c$%ksuckers, abuses opposition players, had a team ethos of unsociable football etc etc not like it when someone sucks in your dopey defenders.

On that topic Aidan Corr - what a flog. Talk about faux tough guy. He needs to desour and sweeten.
    The bombers one is hilarious considering the Draper fish flop to win a game . Don’t come the raw prawn as well.
    Maybe Clarkeson should teach his players to tackle properly and not scrag either .
    The push in front of the umpire was the stupidest thing I’ve seen in a while . It deserved 50 just for being a dick.
    Bring back the biff

14. Likes Grantysghost, my plums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are up slightly year on year (averages), but yes I agree the blockbusters skew the overall figures.
    I heard someone on the radio say that with our game against Fremantle they opened the gates at half time and counted the non paying fans that came in late in the crowd numbers. We might be slightly up but can we really trust the numbers?

Post Thanks / Like

My soap box.

You nailed all of them.

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This needs to be a weekly soapbox topic - Laura Kane is obviously not up to the job of running the game. I guess her incredible CV of high performance at North Melbourne in their last few halcyon years made her impossible to resist for City Hall.

It is actually demeaning to all clubs and supporters that deeply untalented people, who are only skilled at providing meaningless word salads to the media, are pivotal to the direction of the actual game.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes GVGjr, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So we should show up or we "don't have to accept" the peripheral crap served up to us. Which one is it? Sorry for the screenshot I don't know how to cross reference threads.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the match day thread on here - 14x pages...usually 25+ pages.

I'm obviously not flying over for a North game, but I do kind of get it when people take the 'why would I go to that game' approach...interest is low when the result seem pre-ordained. I mean, North have been a LOT BETTER in the past month, but casual fans have no idea who half of North's players even are.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.