Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round 16

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

So we should show up or we "don't have to accept" the peripheral crap served up to us. Which one is it? Sorry for the screenshot I don't know how to cross reference threads.
    Thank you for the evidence - you have nailed it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thank you for the evidence - you have nailed it
    I'll narc when it's convenient and rail against it when it's not . My hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Edit: also I don't know what you mean and you haven't answered my question.
    Last edited by EasternWest; 01-07-2024 at 11:43 AM.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Supporters not showing up.

Yes it was a North home game, but come on, under the roof at our home ground - support the team.
    Was going to write the same thing, we can't be whinging by losing the Good Friday game yet not turn up for a game at the perfect time slot imo for ANY game over the weekend, especially frustrating for us that live interstate and simply cannot get to games.

My other is playing games at the same time as others, it just shouldn't happen in this day and age.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Supporters not showing up.

Yes it was a North home game, but come on, under the roof at our home ground - support the team.
    Do you think the dollar cost could come into it?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Likes Sedat, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don't get the angst towards supporters not going to games this year. We are in the middle of a massive cost of living crisis, and a huge portion of the general population is doing it incredibly tough at the moment - I don't blame anyone for currently prioritising the day-to-day welfare of themselves/family over what is essentially a pastime that is a discretionary purchase.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes hujsh, Bullies, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't get the angst towards supporters not going to games this year. We are in the middle of a massive cost of living crisis, and a huge portion of the general population is doing it incredibly tough at the moment - I don't blame anyone for currently prioritising the day-to-day welfare of themselves/family over what is essentially a pastime that is a discretionary purchase.
    It's not just this year, it's every year

Maybe more for our supporters than others

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not just this year, it's every year
    Newsflash - we aren't Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon. Our attendances are probably comparable to most other Vic based teams in the competition (and quite a few interstate clubs as well).

It's the reality of life in 2024 that there are large swathes of the population who have crippling mortgage repayments from 12 consecutive rate rises (or crippling rent increases because politicians don't understand the basic economics of supply/demand), straight off the back of COVID and being forced to close their business/lose their job for 2 years, all while negotiating a significant increase in inflation. It's a bloodbath out there for everyday Australians and I would never blame anybody for doing what they can to survive - there are a lot of people out there who don't have the benefit of wearing their jim-jams working from home half the week minimum because they are unfortunate enough not to be in the public sector.

12. Likes Bullies, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the vague name we support fails to make people turn up.
    Footscray supporters turned up.
    The sense of being part of the team identity.
    Marvel is an experience of being removed from the team.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding it harder to give up a whole day and a couple of hundred bucks for the experience going to the AFL now is.

North game was always either a lacklustre win or embarrassing loss in my mind so the warm couch won out out.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I applaud North Melbourne on changing their name from the marketing name of Kangaroos which removed their soul and centre.
    Thanks to Simon Garlic for replacing the kids robo dog with our trad dog.
    I say we need to reclaim our trad name and centre, our great suburb Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Newsflash - we aren't Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon. Our attendances are probably comparable to most other Vic based teams in the competition (and quite a few interstate clubs as well)..
    Newsflash, I can still complain about it with almost 60,000 members

Also, what is it that make Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon supporters go to matches, but our supporters don't want to?

Post Thanks / Like

I was one of those that didn't turn up.

I was initially supposed to be playing baseball, then once it was washed out I retreated to the couch, a blanket and a glass of red.
    I have to admit, that unless I have scored some medallion club tickets, I don't go to the away games at Marvel.

With membership numbers growing and it not necessarily relating significantly to crowd sizes, I think it is mostly related to the convenience of watching from home. The gameday experience is generally nothing to write home about, and while I do enjoy our home games or MCG games, where I can watch from a great spot on level 2 - I will freely admit to dodging away Marvel or home games at Mars.

19. Likes GVGjr, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Perhaps the vague name we support fails to make people turn up.
    Footscray supporters turned up.
    The sense of being part of the team identity.
    Marvel is an experience of being removed from the team.
    Yeah I don't think anyone is buying that the name change 27 years ago is to blame for crowds.
    We had 10,500 members back in 96, and our last home game as Footscray had 7600 people attend.

Post Thanks / Like

At the game the crowd split seemed fairly even. Considering it was a North home game I think it was more a case of them not turning up than us.

Post Thanks / Like

Newsflash, I can still complain about it with almost 60,000 members
    Of course you can - long may it continue. The world is a hell of a lot duller when it is an echo chamber of identical opinions.

Also, what is it that make Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon supporters go to matches, but our supporters don't want to?
    Collingwood, Carlton, and Essendon are foundation clubs who have had much historical success (16 flags each) - their fan armies are simply much bigger than ours. And Richmond came into the competition a decade later but have also had enormous historical success (8 flags in the last 60 years, even with a 37 year gap in between), so they have an army 100k strong. We were later to the party (1925) and just haven't had the success - in addition, we were terribly mis-managed in the 1970's when we were stockpiling enormous talent from our Gippsland zone.

23. Likes bornadog liked this post