Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Monday Soap Box - Round 16

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Do you think the dollar cost could come into it?
    No doubt but with a bit of planning with food and some cheap membership options available it's curious that other clubs are packing out games and we aren't. Scheduling plays a part in it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Newsflash, I can still complain about it with almost 60,000 members

Also, what is it that make Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond or Essendon supporters go to matches, but our supporters don't want to?
    You've also said we don't have to take the tripe that we're being served up as entertainment either.

So are you standing in solidarity with those that have taken that stance or are you complaining that they won't compromise their principles to fill up the stadium?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure where to put this but how about the coaches votes in the St Kilda v Port game? Kenny & Ross only agreed on 1 player in the votes - JHF who got a 5 and a 1!

St Kilda v Port Adelaide
    6 Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
    5 Zak Butters (PORT)
    4 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (PORT)
    4 Callum Wilkie (STK)
    3 Rowan Marshall (STK)
    3 Connor Rozee (PORT)
    2 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
    2 Josh Battle (STK)
    1 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    No doubt but with a bit of planning with food and some cheap membership options available it's curious that other clubs are packing out games and we aren't. Scheduling plays a part in it
    Unfortunately I also believe social media is playing and will play a huge role in younger fan bases. It'll gravitate towards clicks which will obviously skew to the larger, more popular clubs. It's happening in sports all around the globe.

The larger clubs will get greater exposure. It's always been the case but it's been put into turbodrive by social media.

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Unfortunately I also believe social media is playing and will play a huge role in younger fan bases. It'll gravitate towards clicks which will obviously skew to the larger, more popular clubs. It's happening in sports all around the globe.

The larger clubs will get greater exposure. It's always been the case but it's been put into turbodrive by social media.
    It's a complex issue for us.
    The club is spruiking that our membership base is growing when that's more than a bit doubtful.
    Our supporters want us to get some blockbuster games like Good Friday but our attendance numbers don't really compel the AFL to do that.
    Cost of living pressures and scheduling plays a big part but we won't have any problems packing out Marvel and our supporters will be in full voice when we play the Blues in a couple of weeks.

The real issue is probably our ladder position.
    It's likely that a lot of these problems wouldn't be as evident if we were currently well entrenched in the top 5.

It's logical that people are a bit choosy which games they will attend and it's really up to the club to get us more competitive on the field. The David Copperfield slight of hand membership numbers calculation contributes to the confusion of where our members are on game day.

8. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club is spruiking that our membership base is growing when that's more than a bit doubtful.
    Our supporters want us to get some blockbuster games like Good Friday but our attendance numbers don't really compel the AFL to do that.
    Cost of living pressures and scheduling plays a big part but we won't have any problems packing out Marvel and our supporters will be in full voice when we play the Blues in a couple of weeks.

It's likely that a lot of these problems wouldn't be as evident if we were currently well entrenched in the top 5.

It's logical that people are a bit choosy which games they will attend and it's really up to the club to get us more competitive on the field. The David Copperfield slight of hand membership numbers calculation contributes to the confusion of where our members are on game day.
    Summary of attendances over past 10 years

Year Games Ave.
    2024 15 31445
    2023 23 30412
    2022 22 27219
    2021* 16 23277
    2020* 13 3894
    2019 22 30988
    2018 22 29225
    2017 22 33156
    2016 22 31945
    2015 22 27013

Note 2020 and 21 Covid effected.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I take no real meaning from any clubs membership numbers. The figure is used simply as a marketing tool and is inflated by any means necessary.

I agree our attendances would be better if we were well in the top 8. Our supporters are a bit more fickle than other clubs but similar to clubs like the saints.

It certainly is a challenge for clubs like ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Summary of attendances over past 10 years

Year Games Ave.
    2024 15 31445
    2023 23 30412
    2022 22 27219
    2021* 16 23277
    2020* 13 3894
    2019 22 30988
    2018 22 29225
    2017 22 33156
    2016 22 31945
    2015 22 27013

Note 2020 and 21 Covid effected.
    Your honour the witness is obfuscating to avoid answering the question.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah I take no real meaning from any clubs membership numbers. The figure is used simply as a marketing tool and is inflated by any means necessary.

I agree our attendances would be better if we were well in the top 8. Our supporters are a bit more fickle than other clubs but similar to clubs like the saints.

It certainly is a challenge for clubs like ours.
    Yes and no, we also haven't been getting results that inspire the supporters.
    Playing games at Mars and Engie probably don't help our overall numbers either.

Post Thanks / Like

We all bemoan how shit the product is and how it's getting worse, but wonder why our attendances haven't grown relative to our membership.

Bad food
    Too much noise
    Flashing lights
    Expensive
    Poor umpiring
    Silly rules
    Inconsistent team
    Dickhead opposition supporters
    Less player loyalty

Have other club attendances risen at a higher rate than our relative to their membership increases?

Not sure why we blame people for not wanting a piece of all of the above.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    We all bemoan how shit the product is and how it's getting worse, but wonder why our attendances haven't grown relative to our membership.

Bad food
    Too much noise
    Flashing lights
    Expensive
    Poor umpiring
    Silly rules
    Inconsistent team
    Less player loyalty

Have other club attendances risen at a higher rate than our relative to their membership increases?

Add in the club is already in touch asking us to onsell our tickets when we play Carlton. Just what I want, to be sitting among the arrogant Bluebaggers.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad food
    Too much noise
    Flashing lights
    Expensive
    Poor umpiring
    Silly rules
    Inconsistent team
    Less player loyalty

The noise at Marvel overwhelms me. I really hate it.

I used to love just sitting there watching the teams in relative quiet with my record and my pen ready to go, but now I need those new born ear muffs.

My niece who's 17 loves it. So, I guess footy isn't aimed at my generation any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Add in the club is already in touch asking us to onsell our tickets when we play Carlton. Just what I want, to be sitting among the arrogant Bluebaggers.
    Oh really that's crap. Home ground is really not a thing anymore.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad food
    Too much noise
    Flashing lights
    Expensive
    Poor umpiring
    Silly rules
    Inconsistent team
    Less player loyalty

Don’t forget live on Fox footy. Why leave the lounge in this weather ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    This is going to cause a horrific fight really soon/if we ever have another home game against Collingwood.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -