Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  120
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee Round 17 VS Port Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL.

When we're marking down games vs Melbourne and games down at Geelong as wins I've got concerns I'm even on the right forum.

We ALWAYS lose to Melbourne (I mean, even the "best prepared, fittest, strongest" etc team lost to them back in round 1) and we ALWAYS lose at Geelong.

So that means we have to beat Carlton and Sydney away in order to make it? I can't see it.
    I think the game being at Marvel v Melbourne pushes things slightly in our favour, especially with no Petracca and the 2024 version of Clayton Oliver.

Agree that due to our history we can't have too much confidence in winning at Sedat Park but really we should be beating up on their substandard midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

When we're marking down games vs Melbourne and games down at Geelong as wins I've got concerns I'm even on the right forum.

We ALWAYS lose to Melbourne (I mean, even the "best prepared, fittest, strongest" etc team lost to them back in round 1) and we ALWAYS lose at Geelong.

So that means we have to beat Carlton and Sydney away in order to make it? I can't see it.
    Agree with the above - there are no games you can automatically mark down, but isn't that simply the "any given Sunday" nature of this season? Did Geelong expect to lose 6 of 7 mid-season, and did GWS expect the same after missing last year's GF by 1 point? Were Melbourne expecting to be 12th after 16 rounds? This season is that close and we are one of many in the mix.

There are literally no easy fixtures in 2024. Teams playing us on the way home won't be looking forward to it either, so if we do make it we will be a legitimate premiership threat.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

I reckon we beat Melbourne and are a big chance v the Cats.

However...now you've got me thinking as you always manage to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but if we LOSE this week (which we are also capable of - it is vs PA in Adelaide which is a tough assignment) we need to win 5/7 and I'm not sure we can do it mate.

@ Port - This is super critical...
    Carlton - Likelihood = loss.
    @ Geelong - Would like to think win but history says we lose down there.
    @ Sydney - You would think this is a loss.
    Melbourne - Let's face it, Melbourne own us.
    @ at Adelaide - Adelaide are a dangerous side now the pressure is off. I hope a win but DANGER.
    North Melbourne - We SHOULD win this.
    GWS Giants (in the bush!) - Who knows the circumstances. Would like to think we win at Ballarat.

So - if we can beat GWS, North, Adelaide and Geelong then we can do what you say...but I think we lose ONE of those...which means we MUST beat either Carlton, Sydney or Melbourne (plus win this week)...

I don't see it mate.
    Pessimism is not the way to look ahead.

We can and WILL beat Port.
    We can beat anyone.
    Win 7 of the next 8 and finish top 4.
    Win 3 from there and fly the flag.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes MrMahatma, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think the game being at Marvel v Melbourne pushes things slightly in our favour, especially with no Petracca and the 2024 version of Clayton Oliver.

Agree that due to our history we can't have too much confidence in winning at Sedat Park but really we should be beating up on their substandard midfield.
    Additionally I have changed history for Pork Barrell Sedat Park.

First the first time in the History of Man I have acquired tickets and I have never seen us lose there.

7. Likes bornadog, Happy Days, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I reckon we beat Melbourne and are a big chance v the Cats.

However...now you've got me thinking as you always manage to do!
    We shouldn't fear the Demons and if we do, then we don't deserve to be a finals side.

The Dees have beaten two teams currently in the top 8 - Port (round 3) and the Cats (round 8) - both sides who are just as likely to fall out as stay in.

Yes, they've come close against some top sides but they lost to the Eagles and probably should have lost to North. This is also a side without Petracca who has done more damage against us than anyone, Oliver is a B-grade midfielder at the moment and they're kicking the footy to Harrison Petty. Their top-end stars are good and they're well-drilled, but they've got a bunch of kids running around at the moment too.

We have them at Marvel, our momentum is really building, we have the best player in the game, and they're playing just as many '8-point games' as we are. If we're not going into that game feeling good about ourselves and ready to take a scalp then we're wasting time this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    We shouldn't fear the Demons and if we do, then we don't deserve to be a finals side.

The Dees have beaten two teams currently in the top 8 - Port (round 3) and the Cats (round 8) - both sides who are just as likely to fall out as stay in.

Yes, they've come close against some top sides but they lost to the Eagles and probably should have lost to North. This is also a side without Petracca who has done more damage against us than anyone, Oliver is a B-grade midfielder at the moment and they're kicking the footy to Harrison Petty. Their top-end stars are good and they're well-drilled, but they've got a bunch of kids running around at the moment too.

We have them at Marvel, our momentum is really building, we have the best player in the game, and they're playing just as many '8-point games' as we are. If we're not going into that game feeling good about ourselves and ready to take a scalp then we're wasting time this year.
    Practically speaking, our season could be well and truly over before we get to the Dees match.

Port, Blues, Cats, Swans all before we get to the Dees. You don't have to be a complete pessimist to think we could lose all 4. Nor a complete crazy optimist to think we could win all 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Practically speaking, our season could be well and truly over before we get to the Dees match.

Port, Blues, Cats, Swans all before we get to the Dees. You don't have to be a complete pessimist to think we could lose all 4. Nor a complete crazy optimist to think we could win all 4.
    When faced with the challenge of being optimistic or pessimistic, I find optimism just gives a better life outlook.

It is better to deal with disappointment when it occurs than to be continually concerned about the next setback that may not actually occur.

11. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    When faced with the challenge of being optimistic or pessimistic, I find optimism just gives a better life outlook.

It is better to deal with disappointment when it occurs than to be continually concerned about the next setback that may not actually occur.
    I am with you BJ.

I am just looking forward to Saturday at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Respect. Not a bad way to go about things.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

Pessimism hasn't worked for us so we're taking a leaf out of Bulldog Joe's book and being optimistic.

What it'll look like on here if the typical results eventuate is anyone's guess.

Serenity now.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I'm not really concerned.

Footy season will be what it will be...but I refuse to be suckered into thinking we will beat Melbourne or Geelong only to realise 5-minutes into the first quarter that our designated receivers are Steven May and Tom Stewart respectively.

Until we prove we can do it, I'm not going say we can do it. Concerned? Not really - it just is what it is.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I'm not really concerned.

Footy season will be what it will be...but I refuse to be suckered into thinking we will beat Melbourne or Geelong only to realise 5-minutes into the first quarter that our designated receivers are Steven May and Tom Stewart respectively.

Until we prove we can do it, I'm not going say we can do it. Concerned? Not really - it just is what it is.
    I'm with you.

I've thought we can beat the cats for years and we just never got the job done. I still think we can win these type of games but I want to see some proof first.

And no I don't count the final game of last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Butters will probably put on a Dogs jumper on Saturday and win the game for us. Have heard he’s a big chance to come to the Dogs.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

19. Likes EasternWest, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Butters will probably put on a Dogs jumper on Saturday and win the game for us. Have heard he’s a big chance to come to the Dogs.
    We have to hope they keep Ken!