Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  115
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bevo on AFL 360

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo on AFL 360

I thought this was the best moment Bevo has had in the media/publicly for years when talking about Cody's courage as a player.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Because despite Beveridge saying exactly why he was defending Cody, Slobbo kept going with "yeah but*. At some point that must get tiresome.
    Was it a go at Slobbo ?
    He just asked if he thinks it’s acceptable to happen 80 metres from the ball which then turned Slobbo into a blubbering mess as he couldn’t find an argument to continue with. He was gotchad which Slobbo was trying to do to Luke.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Was it a go at Slobbo ?
    He just asked if he thinks it?s acceptable to happen 80 metres from the ball which then turned Slobbo into a blubbering mess as he couldn?t find an argument to continue with. He was gotchad which Slobbo was trying to do to Luke.
    Yeah I didn't really think so, but if that's how some people see it that's cool. For mine it was plain as day why Beveridge was curt in the end. I've answered the question, stop asking me the same question.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW Robbo said he and Beveridge communicated after the show via text message and all is good.

Robbo was actually surprised viewers took it as Beveridge having a go at him. Robbo never took it that way.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Thanks bornadog, Uninformed thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    FWIW Robbo said he and Beveridge communicated after the show via text message and all is good.

Robbo was actually surprised viewers took it as Beveridge having a go at him. Robbo never took it that way.
    Bevo worked on the assumption that as the Chief
    Writer Robbo would have read what John Ralph and Ronny Lerner had written about Cody when he hadn't
    Possibly a bit unfair on Robbo but he does need to receive regular reality checks and I'm okay with Bevo giving him a whack.
    To Robbos credit on RSN he said he was fine with it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes angelopetraglia, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo worked on the assumption that as the Chief
    Writer Robbo would have read what John Ralph and Ronny Lerner had written about Cody when he hadn't
    Possibly a bit unfair on Robbo but he does need to receive regular reality checks and I'm okay with Bevo giving him a whack.
    To Robbos credit on RSN he said he was fine with it.
    Robbo wrote this on Sunday night.

"Coaches have bitten their tongues all season, although North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson is never one to keep his mouth shut. He was perturbed, as most football watchers were, when Bulldog Cody Weightman acted more like a trapeze artist than a footballer on Saturday. Weightman earns respect for his ability but not for his theatrics."

Link: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...01578499daecc8

That is just sloppy and inflammatory from Robbo.

Post Thanks / Like

Text from Bevo: "see you in the toilets"

Slobbo publicly "nah me and Bevo are mates it's all good, right Bevo, right?"
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Robbo must have zero skills in terms of reading social interactions if he didn't think Bevo was having a go at him. The reason the viewers thought Bevo was going at him was because he was going at him.

Bevo was right that:
    1/. It was a free-kick (and they were ALL free kicks) to Weightman.
    2/. The 'word' that Weightman plays for free-kicks is continually propogated by the media.

BUT:
    - He soft shoed it on Clarkson's comments - which were clearly directed at Weightman and his reputation for playing for free-kicks - basically saying that he (Clarkson) was generalising and he (Clarkson) never really meant that the free-kicks for Cody weren't warranted.

The whole 'story' where "old school footy people" try to say that the umpires shouldn't pay certain things because they are insufficient or 'soft' is complete crap. See a free-kick, pay a free kick...that way everyone understands what is and isn't acceptable and the rules get followed.

Weightman is a critical player to us and the oppo 100% target him...Bevo was right to stick up for him (and I wish he did this more - particularly for Naughton and Bontempelli) but there was no need to go at Robbo. He's mates with Clarkson so left him alone but to be perfectly honest it was CLARKSON's post match comments that sparked the whole thing...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

What MJP said. Clarko wasn't baited it was an agenda.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What MJP said. Clarko wasn't baited it was an agenda.
    So many sooky coaches out there complaining about free kicks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo on 360 tonight. 'You've got to be really courageous to be a trapeze artist ��'

https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1808423457278869976

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Loved Bevo going into bat for Cody.
    Typical, you're a dyed in the wool Bevo acolyte so you would say that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But why did he need to do it?

Can't you stick up for your player without making it personal with the journo? I've got no love for Robbo but what was the point of intentionally going after someone on their own show...

Bevo is great but why would you intentionally try to get Robbo - generally on Bevo's side - off-side?

I'll never understand this stuff. Just point out the clear mistreatment of Weightman - it was VERY clear - and talk about his undeniable courage (as he did) without causing a fuss...sure, Dogs supporters seem to be saying "yeah, go Bevo" but I would guess the over-riding sentiment would be "why did you need to be such an arse about it"...
    This stuff has a way of getting into the umpires heads, you only need to see the ridiculous officiating of Ginnivan over the course of 18 months and the aggressiveness of players towards him encouraged or emboldened by that ridiculous officiating to know that.

Bevo going directly at Robbo at the first opportunity, especially given Robbo is a friendly, was a great move for how Cody will be officiated in the future. Fumbling his way through it, and not being aggressive about it would have resulted in the media the next day questioning Bevo's position on the matter. If Bevo is in the chair directly being asked to comment by the host of a TV show who sets the agenda and the script of that show, it plays out well if he puts him away.

Also, just before Bevo got into saying he was going to dance down the pitch on the issue, he did say he was relating that to comments made prior to going on air. I have a feeling Robbo was prepared to play the role of Judy in the transaction, and it was relatively well staged.
    Last edited by jeemak; 04-07-2024 at 04:42 AM.

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Robbo on 360 tonight. 'You've got to be really courageous to be a trapeze artist ��'

Gerard pretending he's above it all with his air of integrity; ghoulish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

I rest my case.