• 1.3 million p.a

1 1.64%
  • 1.4 million p.a

0 0%
  • Literally any price another club will pay

3 4.92%
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tim English - What Price do you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Does anybody want him? I'm not convinced English is the ruckman we need.
    I do.

2. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo?

I’m sure he could find another club. But the fact the media are reporting he put his number/years out there and no one is calling is pretty telling. I just don’t think he’s a first ruck. He could’ve been a great forward/second ruck but we don’t need that role. Based on his season to date, asking price and potential to deliver us a top 10 compo pick and cash to cover a Barass type, he seems to me to be an obvious candidate to allow him to move.

If he changes his mind we will be stuck with our offer and depending on things it is what it is. But if we budge it will be dumb.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bevo?

I’m sure he could find another club. But the fact the media are reporting he put his number/years out there and no one is calling is pretty telling. I just don’t think he’s a first ruck. He could’ve been a great forward/second ruck but we don’t need that role. Based on his season to date, asking price and potential to deliver us a top 10 compo pick and cash to cover a Barass type, he seems to me to be an obvious candidate to allow him to move.

If he changes his mind we will be stuck with our offer and depending on things it is what it is. But if we budge it will be dumb.
    I think he could be the best r2 forward almost in the game.
    He's ability to move around the ground and become an extra defender at times is superb though.

Do we think him not dominating taps really costs us that much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's ability to move around the ground and become an extra defender at times is superb though.

It’s not the taps, I don’t really look at those numbers positive or negative. It’s his weak, insipid and uninspiring lack of physical presence. If he was prepared to be the best second ruck/forward he would’ve saved us spending big on Lobb (2 x Pick 30) could’ve got Grundy for peanuts and would be a better TEAM. But he’s demanded a role that he’s being beaten in most weeks. But alas it hasn’t played out like this. So I’d cash out now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Partly agree with bulldogtragic. It’s not only Centre bounces and boundary throw ins, it’s the lack of instigating body contact when a ball approaches a pack he is near or in. Easy for me to say, never played the game not suffered multiple concessions.

Having said that if he agrees to 4 to absolute max 5 years on a reasonable yearly pay of max close to/tad above $1M I wouldn’t be upset either.

Post Thanks / Like

I know we like the idea of English as a 2nd ruck but what about at CamHead/RoughOyd type deal where he eventually does a 50/50 split with young Darcy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I know we like the idea of English as a 2nd ruck but what about at CamHead/RoughOyd type deal where he eventually does a 50/50 split with young Darcy?
    So no frontline ruckman?

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is he is OK and you don't pay $1m per year on an OK player.

Darcy already has more hunger and aggression at 20 years of age, we have Lobb contracted for another 2 years and lets not forget about Croft. The money is better spent elsewhere as we already have cattle to hold down the position under contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Does him not dominating the taps give advantage to the opposition team?

For me I preferred him as the 2nd ruck. In 2021 we ran old man Martin at #1 and English as backup/Fwd and felt we looked a lot more dangerous in that time.

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From an accounting point of view, no. Retire English to a wide tall forward, send Naughton and Jones into the ruck, a bit more handball and the Premiership is ours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    The thing is he is OK and you don't pay $1m per year on an OK player.

Darcy already has more hunger and aggression at 20 years of age, we have Lobb contracted for another 2 years and lets not forget about Croft. The money is better spent elsewhere as we already have cattle to hold down the position under contract.
    My understanding is with new player payment & related cap increase $1/$1.1M is kinda equivalent to $700/$800K now. Tim is a good player, just not Gawn/Grundy level. Split him with Darcy as latter’s body matures maybe it’s best to keep him. I’m not sure a ready made ruck that is decent mark/decent disposal around ground can be easily found. If we land Barrass then Lobb can share ruck with Darcy, but if we don’t land a decent backman & Lobb blossoms as one I think we’d want to keep English.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of ruckman do you want and how do we get one
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    My understanding is with new player payment & related cap increase $1/$1.1M is kinda equivalent to $700/$800K now. Tim is a good player, just not Gawn/Grundy level. Split him with Darcy as latter’s body matures maybe it’s best to keep him. I’m not sure a ready made ruck that is decent mark/decent disposal around ground can be easily found. If we land Barrass then Lobb can share ruck with Darcy, but if we don’t land a decent backman & Lobb blossoms as one I think we’d want to keep English.
    Are we talking about Tim this year or Tim at his best? Think we're pretty rough on a guy who was an All-Australian 12 months ago and battled through concussion during an interrupted pre-season.

17. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Are we talking about Tim this year or Tim at his best? Think we're pretty rough on a guy who was an All-Australian 12 months ago and battled through concussion during an interrupted pre-season.
    Ruck influence is a difficult intangible thing to measure, as neither hit outs or hit outs to advantage effectively correlate to overall area effectiveness.

It's the footy equivalent of Schrodinger's Cat. If a cat farts in the woods, does the pope hear it? Very difficult to measure (I think that's the general vibe of the theory, you look it up).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Ruck influence is a difficult intangible thing to measure, as neither hit outs or hit outs to advantage effectively correlate to overall area effectiveness.

It's the footy equivalent of Schrodinger's Cat. If a cat farts in the woods, does the pope hear it? Very difficult to measure (I think that's the general vibe of the theory, you look it up).
    ����Love your analogy. These are meant to be smileys - oh well.
    He both hears it and doesn’t hear it simultaneously.

20. Likes jeemak liked this post