Thanks Thanks:  59
Likes Likes:  408
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not sure a Smith for Barrass type deal is a genuine win for us despite Barrass filling a position of need.
    I'm sceptical he will come to us anyway
    It does feel very get a better deal at home type news.

Post Thanks / Like

So Sam Landsberger is saying the Saints might get pick 4 AND 5 for Battle in compo.....

Discuss. (no I'm not kidding).

I wouldn't even think one of those, maybe end of first round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So Sam Landsberger is saying the Saints might get pick 4 AND 5 for Battle in compo.....

Discuss. (no I'm not kidding).

I wouldn't even think one of those, maybe end of first round.
    Free agency compo formula is a joke.

The highest compo should be end of first round for any player. Saying Battle is worth picking 5 is laughable but we've been here before haven't we?

If you're the saints of course you're showing him the door. Same as the Mackay situation.

Most of the time I'm disappointed when I remember we don't have a first rounder this year. Then all this compo and bidding crap appears and I'm almost relieved we don't have one so I don't have to see our pick fall 10 bloody spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Free agency compo formula is a joke.

The highest compo should be end of first round for any player. Saying Battle is worth picking 5 is laughable but we've been here before haven't we?

If you're the saints of course you're showing him the door. Same as the Mackay situation.
    Pick 4 AND pick 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be click bait right?

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 4 AND pick 5.
    Ha. That's certainly a way to spin it. Surely it's just pick 5 as compo which would fall after their natural first round selection at pick 4.

7. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Ha. That's certainly a way to spin it. Surely it's just pick 5 as compo which would fall after their natural first round selection at pick 4.
    That makes way more sense

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be click bait right?

Must be an automatic upgrade trigger clause if you're an ex. of Mia Fevola
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He means that they’ll have pick 4 normally (because they suck) and get pick 5 as their compo. So they’ll have both picks but only one is compo.

Still bullshit but not quite accurate.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McKay got North an early pick so it's possible that Saints get something a lot overs for Battle but he's not a player you can build a back line around.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A bit more background to the Battle discussion. Surely Hawthorn aren't going to pay him $1 million when he's classified as a midget in KPD terms by BAD at only 193cm.

$1M EXIT MAY GIFT SAINTS TWO TOP-5 PICKS

Hawthorn?s huge interest in St Kilda unrestricted free agent defender Josh Battle could hand the Moorabbin club two top-five picks at the draft.

Battle has gathered interest from the Hawks plus Melbourne and Collingwood, as one of the only free agents left on the market and a top defensive option, playing a position clubs are always hungry to find more talent in.

Amid reports the length of a contract will now be factored into the compensation given to clubs who lose free agents, if the bidding war continues for Battle, the Saints could get top-band, first-round compo for his exit.

They currently sit 15th on the ladder, equating to Pick 4 at the draft, which would then mean they land Pick 5 for free - in a similar scenario to North Melbourne letting Ben McKay walk last year to land picks 2 and 3.

?From a talent perspective, they?re a mess. They?re a long way behind every other club,? Herald Sun journalist Sam Landberger said on Fox Footy?s Midweek Tackle.

?Josh Battle has a long-term offer in front of him from Hawthorn, St Kilda should be crossing its fingers that he accepts that offer and take the compensation.

?They?re a real chance at getting Pick 4 and Pick 5 as a compensation pick for Josh Battle. They?ve brought in arguably the best recruiter in the draft Simon Dalrymple, it?s a midfielder?s draft, they are crying out for midfielders, that is a dream scenario for them like Ben McKay leaving North Melbourne last year and them getting Pick 3.?

However his Herald Sun counterpart Jay Clark declared: ?They need to get better, not worse.

?They take out Josh Battle, he?s one of their most important players, because what happens to the backline then? He could play for another eight years, he?s gonna get a six- or seven-year contract at St Kilda, they?re not gonna let him walk out the door.

?And to get that first-round compensation, the threshold?s gone up, the salary cap?s gone up - Ben McKay because he got the 850k (got a first-round pick) ... it?s gonna take a million-dollar salary from Hawthorn. Hawthorn?s paying him a million dollars, are they??

Landsberger responded: ?I think you can replace Josh Battle. They need midfield talent.

?What if they factor in the longevity of the deal? There?s talk the AFL could change the compensation rules, if they factor in a six or seven-year deal and the longevity they are a real chance to get Pick 5, and they should take that and run.?

The Saints have made just one top-10 pick in the last five drafts, Mattaes Phillipou at No.10 in 2022, and have had not had multiple top-10 picks since 2017 when they nabbed Hunter Clark (No.7) and Nick Coffield (No.8).

15. Thanks Jasper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there even is a compensation tier that gets you two first rounders is there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't think there even is a compensation tier that gets you two first rounders is there?
    There is not. It's a shitty click bait quote.

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    As already mentioned they are deliberately making it unclear - they are saying the Saints natural first round pick followed by band 1 compo for Battle. That is still highly doubtful as someone would have to pay huge overs to trigger band one compo.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty unsavoury industry that deliberately tricks its clients.