Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to challenge Sydney: Dogs barking at right time as ?absolutely humming? duo wreak havoc

link

The Western Bulldogs should be taken very seriously as a contender for the top eight, says a Fox Footy analyst.

Two-time North Melbourne premiership player David King is adamant the Dogs will be contending in September due to their engine room stars doing irrevocable damage at the source.

Luke Beveridge?s barking brigade is catapulting from a 67-point thumping of Fremantle last Saturday and is just half a game behind those Dockers in ninth position on the ladder entering Round 15.

Despite being on their bye this weekend, the Bulldogs are a team to fear come the business end of the season.

?I think the pack is back,? King began on Fox Footy?s AFL 360 on Wednesday night.

?They are hunting. Their midfield, now, are full of talent ? all the stars have returned. Ed Richards? new role, (Tom Liberatore) is not as relied upon ? ?Libba? is that second right-hand man to (Bontempelli) ? and we know about (Adam) Treloar?s season. ?Bont? is a superstar and Treloar?s All-Australian.

?Let?s have a look at their clearance game to start with. Their elevated talent means around the clearances you?re tougher, you?re cleaner and you have greater ball security.

?Taking the ball from inside to out, since those guys have returned, (they?ve been) number-one in the competition. Exit by hand is a huge and underrated stat, because if you can get the ball out by hand, you get high-quality inside-50 entries, greater territory and more damage.?

The Bulldogs rank first in the AFL in both first possession-to-clearance and exiting by handball.

?They?re number-one in both those facets since those stars have come back ? that is huge, don?t underestimate that,? King said.

?What does that do? It always hits the scoreboard. Look at the scoring differential over the last six weeks.?

Since Round 9, the Bulldogs have notched a league-best +105 points-from-clearance differential.

?That?s six goals in front of Sydney,? King continued. ?So, put it into perspective, we?re all raving about Sydney?s midfield, (but) no one?s talking about the Dogs midfield.

?Hawthorn is +71 points, Sydney is +70 points ? so, that is a massive number, and it?s all because of the elevated talent and the elevated damage.?

King then highlighted the individual damage done by Bontempelli, Treloar and Liberatore across the past six rounds of football.

?We?ve talked a lot about Nick Daicos, OK, and he?s a hit-to target ? he?s the guy they?re hitting the ball to,? said King. ?So, of his clearances, there?s been 18 scores in the last six weeks, Bontempelli and Treloar 15 and 12, but they go to those guys combined about the same as what they?ve gone to Daicos.

?So, in effect, they?ve got 27 scores instead of the 18, so this is absolutely humming. Ball-winners across the field, midfielders that get damage by ball-winning ? Treloar, Bontempelli, Liberatore (are) all in the top five (in the AFL in damage).

?So, if you think the Dogs are an also-ran this year, you?re kidding yourself. You?re not watching what?s happening, and we?ve seen Bontempelli now be able to play more time forward of the ball, and that (is) a win in itself.?

King made sure to laud the coalface prowess of unheralded star Treloar, who he said has one of the best initial bursts from stoppage in the competition.

?Treloar?s an absolute ripper,? he declared. ?We?ve talked a little bit about him in the last couple of weeks ? he has the best first three steps in the game. Boom, boom, boom, gone.

?Often, he?ll quick-kick from stoppage, but I think this is when he?s at his best ? lightning-quick hands, that?s the Dogs when they?re on. You can?t even see how quick they are.

?I think he?s in ripping form with his assessment of where the ball is likely to fall. Then you go to ?Bont?. Now, if you finish in front of ?Bont?, you?re gone. He just pushes you in. He?s so strong, he just moves you in and (wins) the ball back for himself.?

Of Richards, King said that while casual observers ?don?t even notice him? on the field, he ?does the basic brilliantly?.

Concluding, King hailed the Dogs? ability to pressure opponents before extracting the ball from congestion.

?Their ability to come in, to squeeze in, and then squeeze out is as good as what you?ll see in the competition,? he told Fox Footy.

?So, this ability to do it now with elite-level talent is going to challenge the Sydney Swans. And put it on the map now, they?re playing finals ? it?s just a matter of whereabouts they finish on the table and how healthy they are when they get there.

?They?ve got selection pressure on for the first time in a long time, and now they?ve got the wildcard of Bontempelli forward. Bontempelli as a target, over the last two weeks, has been targeted nine times inside forward 50 (and) the team has kicked six goals from those nine targets.

?The more you see him there, the better they?re going to be. I?m a massive fan of what he?s done, particularly over the last three or four weeks given their health. Don?t snooze on the Dogs.

?They?ve always played well against the best. (They?ve) got the second-best percentage against top-eight teams, so just be very wary of writing off the Dogs.?

After their Round 15 bye, the Bulldogs return to Docklands to play North Melbourne.

The Dogs play four more matches under the Marvel Stadium roof ? including two meetings with the Kangaroos ? as well as a ?home? game in Ballarat against GWS to close out the home-and-away campaign.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks josie, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?Going to challenge Sydney?: Dogs barking at right time as ?absolutely humming? duo wreak havoc

Laughing.

We're no good and need to sack the coach.
    We're the second best team and Sydney better 'watch out'.

Can we just play the games? I'm all for opinion pieces but beating Freo who are a fringe top 8-side coming off what was basically a two-week-bye doesn't impress me that much...I mean, it's better than the alternative but it was just a game.

And yes, I know I said "we've actually been pretty consistent and our effort has been strong" in predicting the defeat to Melbourne but we have a LONG way to go...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ?Going to challenge Sydney?: Dogs barking at right time as ?absolutely humming? duo wreak havoc

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Laughing.

We're no good and need to sack the coach.
    We're the second best team and Sydney better 'watch out'.

Can we just play the games? I'm all for opinion pieces but beating Freo who are a fringe top 8-side coming off what was basically a two-week-bye doesn't impress me that much...I mean, it's better than the alternative but it was just a game.

And yes, I know I said "we've actually been pretty consistent and our effort has been strong" in predicting the defeat to Melbourne but we have a LONG way to go...
    Can?t you just tell us we?re going to win the flag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    beating Freo who are a fringe top 8-side coming off what was basically a two-week-bye doesn't impress me that much...I mean, it's better than the alternative but it was just a game.
    Agree, media are fickle, however Freo would have been 3rd on the ladder if they beat us, and we did win by 67 points.

Long way to go that is for sure.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty encouraging with the way we've been trending for a solid 5-6 weeks. The Brisbane game was a bit of an expected dip for a few reasons so I was willing to write that off.

But there's no getting around the fact that this is a tough run home and we'll need to keep improving just to make the finals, let alone do any damage.
    W00F!

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to challenge Sydney: Dogs barking at right time as ?absolutely humming? duo wreak havoc

Wasn't sure where to put this

Seventeen of the last 19 premiers have been in the flag window — ranked top six in the AFL in points for and against — while every premier in the last 19 years has sat top six for defence.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Going to challenge Sydney: Dogs barking at right time as ?absolutely humming? duo wreak havoc

Knew this was David King before I even read it. This man lives to put the cart before the horse.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes Testekill, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish our performances on field matched our performance on paper. Hopefully this works out in the second half of the year because we'll need to be a rung above the other teams to make finals/justify our trading last year

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Knew this was David King before I even read it. This man lives to put the cart before the horse.
    He's in the Nostradamus business; make enough predictions and when one or two of them are right, that's what you highlight and everyone thinks you're a seer.

I am positive David King was the one earlier in the year when we weren't traveling so good, wrote us off as just simply not having a good enough list....now we're Sydney's main challenger?

I ain't buying into this tripe, and will just be guided by what unfurls as we go through the remainder of the season. We've got some very strong opposition on the run home. If we make it, then we'll definitely have had to rattle some of the top teams this year and therefore will justify our finals involvement and have maybe some level of favouritism from there.

15. Likes Testekill, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I wish our performances on field matched our performance on paper. Hopefully this works out in the second half of the year because we'll need to be a rung above the other teams to make finals/justify our trading last year
    What's shown on the chart is literally our performance on field, it just misses out on the key contextual piece of whether we're winning or losing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What's shown on the chart is literally our performance on field, it just misses out on the key contextual piece of whether we're winning or losing.
    I disagree (though also kind of agree to put half my arse on the fence) but it's all a bit pedantic to debate over. I see the W/Ls as the performance and how much we smash teams by when we win and how close our losses are, to me, are just paper. It's nice to look at and say 'gee we are better than our position on the ladder' but unless it starts to translate to more wins it's straight copium

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I disagree (though also kind of agree to put half my arse on the fence) but it's all a bit pedantic to debate over. I see the W/Ls as the performance and how much we smash teams by when we win and how close our losses are, to me, are just paper. It's nice to look at and say 'gee we are better than our position on the ladder' but unless it starts to translate to more wins it's straight copium
    Yeah man I get it, and even with the bullshit fixture wins and losses don't mean what they probably should when it comes to the quality and credentials of a team or otherwise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah man I get it, and even with the bullshit fixture wins and losses don't mean what they probably should when it comes to the quality and credentials of a team or otherwise.
    But then again, King is right 17 from the last 19

Post Thanks / Like

Classic woof

David King - Go Dogs, playing a great finals brand
    woof -what a clown what would he even know?

David King -Dogs are playing a poor brand of footy and will struggle to make finals.
    woof -what would he know, doesn?t he know we are evolving on the run?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Classic woof

David King - Go Dogs, playing a great finals brand
    woof -what a clown what would he even know?

David King -Dogs are playing a poor brand of footy and will struggle to make finals.
    woof -what would he know, doesn?t he know we are evolving on the run?
    To be fair WOOF can hold both of these views simultaneously