Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Port Recipe.

I'm pretty concerned about the back 7 - not gonna sugar coat it. I don't see how adding Khamis and Coffield to a back 6 already featuring Lobb in just his second game down there is a great plan, but it is what it is. But I do think we can still be successful.

#1 - State the obvious.
    Our mids need to win stop. Not by a massive amount and even breaking even in the metrics could be enough. But we can't let those three guys (JHF, Butters, Rozee) have those 'running out the front + bouncing the footy' moments they seem to have each and every week.

#2 - Tim
    He has an advantage in terms of running power. He needs to really put it to the PA guys - and we need to link through him. To quote Jamie Tartt: "Don't play it too meh, play through meh". Tim to take 10x uncontested marks.

#3 - Rhylee
    We need a Rhylee game. Up and about, laying tackles and creating havoc from the first bounce. If ever there was a week for him to get suspended for being 'over-zealous' defensively, this is it. Get out there and take some names - the PA small backs are vulnerable by foot and we need them thinking about pressure and turning it over.

#4 - Take chances.
    Jamarra simply cannot have one of those 1.3 type games. Neither Aaron. To be fair, Darcy is pretty reliable (and so has Naughton been this year but he has history!!). We need to kick the ball through the goals. The PA supporters are NOT in a good place right now and they will turn on their team (and turn hard and early) if we get goals on the ball.

#5 - Bailey Dale, BOG
    We need our best kick of the footy kicking it 20+ times. All those marks I said Tim needs to take - he had better be bloody well handballing it to a running Bailey on at least 5 of those occasions. We need a "You dropped me did you - well, I'm gonna bloody well show you that I'm not a reserves player" type performance from him this week...I think if we sit back and rely on Bont to carry us, rely on Treloar to carry us, well...we're going down. We need our inspiration from elsewhere this week and whilst Dale has been good his first 3-weeks post demotion were INCREDIBLE. We need INCREDIBLE this week.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Port Recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    #2 - Tim
    He has an advantage in terms of running power. He needs to really put it to the PA guys - and we need to link through him. To quote Jamie Tartt: "Don't play it too meh, play through meh". Tim to take 10x uncontested marks.

#5 - Bailey Dale, BOG
    We need our best kick of the footy kicking it 20+ times. All those marks I said Tim needs to take - he had better be bloody well handballing it to a running Bailey on at least 5 of those occasions. We need a "You dropped me did you - well, I'm gonna bloody well show you that I'm not a reserves player" type performance from him this week...I think if we sit back and rely on Bont to carry us, rely on Treloar to carry us, well...we're going down. We need our inspiration from elsewhere this week and whilst Dale has been good his first 3-weeks post demotion were INCREDIBLE. We need INCREDIBLE this week.
    Yes yes yes... Daddy like.

These two points mesh real well together and it's something that Tim needs to make happen. He can't just match Sweet for hit outs and he can't take marks around the ground only to follow up with waiting 10 seconds and chipping it backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet has been wrecked the last two weeks by the opposition ruck burning him off, getting forward and kicking goals. McInerney had 3-4 and was BOG, and Marshall should’ve had 5 to 3QT.

We all know Sweet’s tank and work between stoppages is suspect, and Tim needs to work hard enough to take full advantage.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Sweet has been wrecked the last two weeks by the opposition ruck burning him off, getting forward and kicking goals. McInerney had 3-4 and was BOG, and Marshall should’ve had 5 to 3QT.

We all know Sweet’s tank and work between stoppages is suspect, and Tim needs to work hard enough to take full advantage.
    No team better than us would know exactly how to expose Sweet. If Tim doesn't carve him up I'd be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim will run Sweet off his feet, that's a given. If he can get on the end of 2 or 3 goals that will be a win no matter the hitout stats. Unfortunately this week I think will hinge on our goalkicking accuracy, and I cringe at the thought. If we can put scoreboard pressure on early, we'll go a long way to beating them once the crowd turns.

At this stage I just don't trust us to come out firing and put that pressure on. We'll know in the first 5 minutes if we're on or not, and if we aren't we won't take home the chocolates. I'm not overly confident about this weekend, realistically the team has given me no reason to be confident.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more worried about their speed out of the stoppage.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Their midfield scares me a bit especially with Sweet knowing how to ruck against big Tim and knowing that he would back himself in the centre square against him, Bont will 1000000% be tagged this week, he just has to be, probably that skinny red haired bloke who is actually decent offensively too, wouldn't hate it if Bont did spend more time up forward with Ed playing more midfield minutes and perhaps Darcy rolling back.

We'll need to pay close attention to JHF, he's the one that can burn us and has done so before, may have done so in our last outing in SA in the second half?

They're missing a few, we are missing a few, but i'll back us in as we should have too much firepower for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    Tim will run Sweet off his feet, that's a given. If he can get on the end of 2 or 3 goals that will be a win no matter the hitout stats. Unfortunately this week I think will hinge on our goalkicking accuracy, and I cringe at the thought. If we can put scoreboard pressure on early, we'll go a long way to beating them once the crowd turns.

At this stage I just don't trust us to come out firing and put that pressure on. We'll know in the first 5 minutes if we're on or not, and if we aren't we won't take home the chocolates. I'm not overly confident about this weekend, realistically the team has given me no reason to be confident.
    Historically our games against Port have been incredibly frustrating. I can remember being on top early but just not putting them away and giving up cheap goals. They then run over us late in the 3rd and 4th.

Post Thanks / Like

The Saints are pretty crap at the moment and only lost by 2 points. I think we've got all the tools for a 5-6 goal win.

Port don't really concern me.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Historically our games against Port have been incredibly frustrating. I can remember being on top early but just not putting them away and giving up cheap goals. They then run over us late in the 3rd and 4th.
    I was quite partial to the 2021 PF - that 1st half is as good as our team has ever played in my lifetime.

H&A games, yes they have been frustrating. Special mention to the Ballarat game a few years ago (2018 from memory) with hailstones coming in sideways - that was the coldest I have ever been at the footy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm worried about this. Tim sprinting forward thinking GOALS is not what we need...we already have 3x marking threats up there. We need him being a release player, dragging Sweet OUT of our F50 and allowing more space for the forwards we have...

I am concerned that Sweet will be thinking this is his time to shine - it is actually his time to WORK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Wasn't that point 1?? "Stating the obvious"???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm worried about this. Tim sprinting forward thinking GOALS is not what we need...we already have 3x marking threats up there. We need him being a release player, dragging Sweet OUT of our F50 and allowing more space for the forwards we have...

I am concerned that Sweet will be thinking this is his time to shine - it is actually his time to WORK.
    I get what you’re saying but it presupposes that Sweet will actually work back into 50 to necessitate being dragged out of it, which he has not been doing. Tim is a really dangerous forward and if we can get a look at him inside 50 essentially unchecked then surely it’s a good thing?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I get what you’re saying but it presupposes that Sweet will actually work back into 50 to necessitate being dragged out of it, which he has not been doing. Tim is a really dangerous forward and if we can get a look at him inside 50 essentially unchecked then surely it’s a good thing?
    Hmmm - maybe. To me it's Tim's mindset.

He should be 'hunting' through the corridor between the arcs giving us an advantage where - in theory - the PA mids have an advantage. JHF, Butters and Rozee are better runners than our group of inside mids - Tim dominating Sweet gives us a way to equalise and release...

If Tim thinks his hunting territory is in the same area as Naughton, JUH and Darcy, well...I don't think we will score as much as a team even if Tim kicks 3 himself.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Same here, Butters, Rozee, Wines, Horne-Francis and Drew can get them on a roll.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"