Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  101
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power V Bulldogs - Round 17, Sat 6/7/24 Adelaide Oval 1:45PM AEST

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    45 disposals between Connor Rozee (18), Zak Butters (14) & Ollie Wines (13) in Q1
    Most by a trio in a quarter this century
    I can’t believe Tim English would do this to us
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It wasn't even a tackle or a spoil. It was like he wanted to be concussed, as that was the only thing that was ever going to come from the incident.
    Surprised more of our players didn?t look to take that option yesterday tbh.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Sweet 15 HO from 24 to English 5 from 22 in the first.
    Rozee butters and wines were given a silver service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Sweet 15 HO from 24 to English 5 from 22 in the first.
    Rozee butters and wines were given a silver service.
    I don?t understand the discussion or surprise about this.

Anybody who was at the Collingwood game in 2022 saw exactly the same situation. Libba, Treloar and Macrae combined for over 100 possessions and Bont also spent time in the centre as part of one of his best games for the season.

Interestingly, the final score line was the same as yesterday, but this time it was the Bulldogs with 100 points and Collingwood with 50.

Post Thanks / Like

I can?t believe Tim English would do this to us
    We have the most one way mids in history I think. The Lions and this game carbon copies. Has to be completely on their terms against other good midfields.
    I'm of the opinion these days : we don't have a great midfield. We have some great midfielders...but the mix doesn't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I don?t understand the discussion or surprise about this.

Anybody who was at the Collingwood game in 2022 saw exactly the same situation. Libba, Treloar and Macrae combined for over 100 possessions and Bont also spent time in the centre as part of one of his best games for the season.

Interestingly, the final score line was the same as yesterday, but this time it was the Bulldogs with 100 points and Collingwood with 50.
    Danj! Don't be a stranger.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the most one way mids in history I think. The Lions and this game carbon copies. Has to be completely on their terms against other good midfields.
    I'm of the opinion these days : we don't have a great midfield. We have some great midfielders...but the mix doesn't work.
    I think most have been saying this for a while. At times this year we’ve gone with different looks which has worked well, however we don’t seem willing or able to make material game day changes to the mix unless our hand is forced with injury. I get we should back our one wood, but early in the first we should’ve clocked what was happening and could’ve looked at:

Richards to tag Rozee
    Bont forward to replace injured Naughton
    West some midfield rotation time
    Macrae onto Wines

In clearly making this up, but pull a lever or two and see if we can stem the bleed. It seemed to take us until half time to wrestle back a bit of ground but that’s a combination of it all being over along with us refocusing.

9. Likes merantau, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I think most have been saying this for a while. At times this year we’ve gone with different looks which has worked well, however we don’t seem willing or able to make material game day changes to the mix unless our hand is forced with injury. I get we should back our one wood, but early in the first we should’ve clocked what was happening and could’ve looked at:

Richards to tag Rozee
    Bont forward to replace injured Naughton
    West some midfield rotation time
    Macrae onto Wines

In clearly making this up, but pull a lever or two and see if we can stem the bleed. It seemed to take us until half time to wrestle back a bit of ground but that’s a combination of it all being over along with us refocusing.
    Yes I think you're on the right path.

We have a gameplan that seems hugely dependant on midfield dominance. When that isn't there we tend to fall apart.
    Compare that with say a Melbourne who have a defend first mentality and attack from the back more (we are a get it in lock it in territory team) they have far more consistent results and are often still in games they haven't played that well in.

We couldn't score from midfield or defence yesterday which tells you the importance of our game plan of forward stoppage goals. So you deprive us of the ball and gameplan gone.

Not finishing top 4 in Bevo's tenure for mine shows the difficulty of sustaining his game plan for long periods.

I think even our coaches over rate our midfield mixture.

11. Likes Go_Dogs, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was McNeil’s fault.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think you're on the right path.

We have a gameplan that seems hugely dependant on midfield dominance. When that isn't there we tend to fall apart.
    Compare that with say a Melbourne who have a defend first mentality and attack from the back more (we are a get it in lock it in territory team) they have far more consistent results and are often still in games they haven't played that well in.

We couldn't score from midfield or defence yesterday which tells you the importance of our game plan of forward stoppage goals. So you deprive us of the ball and gameplan gone.

Not finishing top 4 in Bevo's tenure for mine shows the difficulty of sustaining his game plan for long periods.

I think even our coaches over rate our midfield mixture.
    Every team requires midfield parity at the very least to be consistently competitive, and supremacy to consistently win. Having great key defenders helps, of course.

Last week our score from turnover game was cooked (and called out by the coach), this week again it was an issue. It's clearly a focus and something we need to get right.
    RIP John Setka. Someone check on EW.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every team requires midfield parity at the very least to be consistently competitive, and supremacy to consistently win. Having great key defenders helps, of course.

Last week our score from turnover game was cooked (and called out by the coach), this week again it was an issue. It's clearly a focus and something we need to get right.
    Is it how we’re setting up the field, intensity and execution, a lack of dare with ball movement, a lack of run from both behind and in front of the ball, all or most of the above? We’re a way off at the moment and when we can’t get a few players having it on a string (namely Bont and Dale) we really suffer.

Post Thanks / Like

You could certainly argue the game plan is tailored to our strengths which is a good thing clearly.

It's when the cascading effect of goals and centre bounce clearances happen and we don't have time to force secondary stoppage and get the half forward / mid 2s involved that it falls apart. When we did win some around the ground stoppage port had the outnumber down back which allowed them to play keepings off.

Yesterday we were locked in enemy territory so often and when it was in ours we couldn't keep it or get it back (their keepings off).

The Power had a great plan and executed it well.

Post Thanks / Like

You could certainly argue the game plan is tailored to our strengths which is a good thing clearly.

It's when the cascading effect of goals and centre bounce clearances happen and we don't have time to force secondary stoppage and get the half forward / mid 2s involved that it falls apart. When we did win some around the ground stoppage port had the outnumber down back which allowed them to play keepings off.

Yesterday we were locked in enemy territory so often and when it was in ours we couldn't keep it or get it back (their keepings off).

The Power had a great plan and executed it well.
    Largely because their mids actually showed up. We've looked fantastic and our game plan has as well when our mids have.

At times yesterday reminded me of the second half versus GWS at Mars last year, where the ground was set up to try and protect a defence that was unstable and undermanned - and the opposition was able to overlap with run and hands on the way out. Credit to Power for exposing us in the way they did.

We desperately need Jones back in the lineup. Coffield will be better for the run, and hopefully Lobb who was OK at times yesterday can take another step forward.
    RIP John Setka. Someone check on EW.

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the game yesterday and am just catching up with it now - I think the complete fall-down in structure is the biggest concern.

They killed us on the outside. We couldn't stop their short kicking and uncontested marking game, and our forwards let them roll past for the handball receive far too often. We didn't get deep entries and forward stoppages for West and McNeil to do much, but they had to be more accountable with the Port halfbacks. Look at how aggressive Lachie Jones was in his running and our forwards let him get out in space way too easily.

I don't think our work around the contest was that bad, the damage was done on the outside. English didn't impose himself, but I feel like we were cut up when the ball was in space and the stoppage stuff was relatively neutral. Butters and Rozee got most of their footy running loose once the ball had exited the stoppage. They just cut up our zone by foot.

When we did rebound from 50, we were kicking long to a contest and our forwards weren't able to make it count against a pretty undermanned backline. If I'm Marra and Bergman starts on me, I'm thinking that I need to have 12 marks today and impose myself on this guy, because he's going to be looking to run and create off me. There was a real stagnancy in how we tried to rebound the ball as well, we missed a JJ type with legs to break the lines and take the space in front of him.

O'Donnell's positioning was really naive as well, he just gave Georgiades so much space out the back.

19. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why we need Smith to stay. He is 23 years old, has pace and is a bull.

Come on Sam Power get it done. Give him what he wants.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes azabob liked this post