Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  101
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power V Bulldogs - Round 17, Sat 6/7/24 Adelaide Oval 1:45PM AEST

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    No worries, I'll defer to you and your expertise then.
    Jee that wasn't a go at you. Apologies if it came across that way.

All these things are my opinion, yours is as valid as mine and I enjoy reading them.

Sanders is too good of a junior not to be a good AFL player, I guess my concern is how good.

Post Thanks / Like

Sanders is playing a difficult role for a first year player. He hasn't been afforded the luxury of coasting behind the ball, he's not a key mid in a shitty team.

I am not at all worried about him.

Versus Tom Liberatore at the same age:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=O&fid2=O

Yes I know stats aren't everything, but they help. After next year there'll be an inside mid spot especially for him, and he'll thrive.
    I'm not anti-Sanders - I think he's playing more outside than he'd like, he needs to get fitter, his disposal has been pretty good for the most part and he'll only get better, but I am a bit concerned about some of the 'intangibles'.

There's been a lack of intensity in some of his defensive work - he'll tackle when it's his turn, but he gives up a chase easily and some of his running off the ball is pretty lackadaisical.

There was one point in the last where Horne-Francis burned him off coming out of the stoppage - I don't think that Sanders physically could've caught him...but as a first-year player fighting for a best 22 spot, I want to see him grit his teeth and look like he's squeezing everything out of his legs that he can.

If you're going to make it as a career inside mid who doesn't have a great turn of foot, I think he needs to find a level of intensity and aggression at the contest that doesn't seem to be there right now.

3. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

All these things are my opinion, yours is as valid as mine and I enjoy reading them.

Sanders is too good of a junior not to be a good AFL player, I guess my concern is how good.
    Sorry I put a smiley face on the post, no worries dude was just having a bit of fun.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I put a smiley face on the post, no worries dude was just having a bit of fun.
    Well, Ive had a Turkish coffee this afternoon so I'm bouncing. No that's not a euphemism.

I talk a lot of shit, once in every hundred posts I might hit the mark!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I'm not anti-Sanders - I think he's playing more outside than he'd like, he needs to get fitter, his disposal has been pretty good for the most part and he'll only get better, but I am a bit concerned about some of the 'intangibles'.

There's been a lack of intensity in some of his defensive work - he'll tackle when it's his turn, but he gives up a chase easily and some of his running off the ball is pretty lackadaisical.

There was one point in the last where Horne-Francis burned him off coming out of the stoppage - I don't think that Sanders physically could've caught him...but as a first-year player fighting for a best 22 spot, I want to see him grit his teeth and look like he's squeezing everything out of his legs that he can.

If you're going to make it as a career inside mid who doesn't have a great turn of foot, I think he needs to find a level of intensity and aggression at the contest that doesn't seem to be there right now.
    He looks like an old fashioned accumulator. Simon Atkins, Macrae type.

Not sure useful they are now, but you do need at least one good one so he's ours going forward.
    You need speed around the ball. Was hoping McKercher would get through but that was a pipe dream

Post Thanks / Like

Champion Data rated him elite prior to the 2016 season. His ball handling and hands were magnificent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He was always pretty limited. He could accumulate, but he lacked pace and hurt factor with his disposals.
    Both of these things I remember.

Sanders looks very lacking in hurt factor. I don't really see an elite trait? Endurance?
    I think Sanders is fine and will be fine. Needs a few years to become a man, but I feel like we're judging him way to harshly way too soon.

Nets.
    "It's over. It's all over."

8. Likes Grantysghost, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can discuss Sanders, the most prepareddraftpick ever, without meaning we are writing him off.
    Clearly a talented kid.
    Also Nets: I can't I'm getting my hair cut.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can discuss Sanders, the most prepareddraftpick ever, without meaning we are writing him off.
    Clearly a talented kid.
    Sanders and Gallagher are talented, but both have directional dysfunction.

When Gallagher gets the ball he ensures that there is an opponent to tackle him in his path.

Sanders, on the other hand, runs away from opponents but then totally ignores the necessity to turn and quickly direct the play a significant distance to goal end.

A small amount of guidance would have a big impact on their usefulness.

11. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Wasn't Mitch Wallis actually pretty good before he broke his leg though?
    He was a talented footballer but the modern game surpassed him. He was too slow and lacked lethal skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Not every top 10 pick ends up a Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Sanders and Gallagher are talented, but both have directional dysfunction.

When Gallagher gets the ball he ensures that there is an opponent to tackle him in his path.

Sanders, on the other hand, runs away from opponents but then totally ignores the necessity to turn and quickly direct the play a significant distance to goal end.

A small amount of guidance would have a big impact on their usefulness.
    All part of his development
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember seeing a fair bit of Sam Walsh early and thinking he was pretty vanilla. He seemed to get a lot of it, but seemed scared to have it- it was always backwards and sideways and often to someone in a worse position.

I feel like that is what he are seeing with Sanders. To be fair he is a kid and he?s had one preseason- having seasoned bodies coming at you has gotta be intimidating. I?m hoping in time we will see more composure and more hurt factor.

Somebody get tis kid a cheap goal to get that rolling too.

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly a talented kid.
    I don't know how I can respond to this given I've been expressly forbidden about talking about the game day thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't know how I can respond to this given I've been expressly forbidden about talking about the game day thread.
    Lolz in bad.