Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3 things learned - R17 vs Port Adelaide

Please list the 3 things learned from our R17 encounter against Port Adelaide?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things learned - R17 vs Port Adelaide

1. There were nine players selected who would struggle to get a game with most of the teams in the current 8.
    2. When our best players are down or injured we are very ordinary
    3. People who knock Libba need to back off. He was one of the few who really tried to lift after quarter time.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    1. There were nine players selected who would struggle to get a game with most of the teams in the current 8.
    3. People who knock Libba need to back off. He was one of the few who really tried to lift after quarter time.
    But what about before quarter time, when the game was lost?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Who would you name in the 9? I know who I would.

Post Thanks / Like

1. English' game was grossly overrated by some, he came on board with stats when the game was over, his influence in the early quarters was not there at all.
    2. Selectors continue to gift games to those with limited ability and no AFL future, bewildering.
    3. Ugle-Hagan is simply not delivering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Who would you name in the 9? I know who I would.
    Not in any particular order with some notes by way of explanation. Factors I'm taking into account are: 1) ability demonstrated so far. 2) age and potential

Bramble - I think he's done ok this year but makes costly errors that mean a question.mark will always hover over him.

Vandermeer: He gets where the ball ain't. Maybe that's why he racks up impressive sprint stats. If those stats resulted in turnovers and goals for us I'd be happy but I don't see it. He also makes bad decisions.

Khamis - he's not a defender. He lacks the physical strength. He's a goodmark and has pace and has potential as a winger or half forward. He's been on the list for a while. We haven't done him any favours the way he's been used.

Coffield - to be fair the jury is still out because he hasn't had a good run at it. I just have my doubts about his ability to cement a place in our side let alone in the more settled sides above us.

O'Donnell - jury is still out on him. He has shown a lot of promise but he lacks pace it seems. He would not be a walk up start in teams above us but he will make it, IMO.

Freijah - has youth on his side and will be a good player and cement his place in our line up but would not be an auto selection in teams above us atm. Ffs, we picked him as the sub for this game! I could not work that out.

McNeil - he fumbles too much and just cannot seem to stay in the game for any length of time. If he could take his chances he'd give himself a chance - but he doesn't.

Sanders - came with a big reputation but he's slow and doesn't kick the ball well. His handball game doesn't convince me either. But he has youth on his side and we must persevere with him. I just don't think he'd get a game in any team above us at this stage.

Gallagher - young and has shown some promise at times but seems to run himself into trouble a lot. He is worth persevering with

Others: Doc and Jacko are nearing the end of their careers.. JUH is struggling at the moment. Naughton out with concussion? West is not having a consistemt enough impact as a small forward. Lobb has failed, until now, to cement himself in the team. English has been underwhelming too often

All the above points to a team that is too dependent on too fewand if they don't fire, or we have outs like Jones and Weightman,we are in a world of pain.

Furthermore the cupboard is not overflowing, no one is knocking down the door. We should per persist with Garcia and play Busslinger. That's about it. I don't want to ruin my Sunaday any more than I have already.

7. Thanks GVGjr, westbulldog, macca thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. How we only lost by 48 points is bewildering. We absoutley got torched all day with no positives coming out of it. Put this one in the bin.
    2. Coffield was not a regular with the Saints. He missed 10+ games with injury . Comes back and has one ordinary game in the 2's and is selected the following week in the 1's. Mind blowing selection.
    3. VDM may the King of 1% but his football brain is non existent. A few recruiters were surprised we even drafted him. Can see why. If we want someone who can do pressure acts/tackling why not just get someone from Storm.
    4. MacNeill just craps himself every time he has contact coming. Please no more. He aint gonna make it and he is not even depth.
    5. Marra please donate some of your big coin to a worthy cause because you certainly don't deserve what we are paying you. At least look like you are trying and care.

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I haven't learnt why a whole team can just not show up like we did.

2. Yesterday showed why we need Bailey Smith to add to the midfield - we were torched by Rozee and Butler and couldn't stop them. Smith has some strength and pace and must play in the middle.

3. Backline big men are going down like nine pins - tough to replace them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

2. Yesterday showed why we need Bailey Smith to add to the midfield - we were torched by Rozee and Butler and couldn't stop them. Smith has some strength and pace and must play in the middle.

How quickly we forget

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    How quickly we forget
    Are we getting Butler as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Are we getting Butler as well?
    Good player but a bit of an idiot. No wonder he has copped around $20k worth of fines. Could be more coming up.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Three weeks ago we turned up for a big game against Freo and obliterated them. Yesterday, we did not fire a shot. The game is also played above the shoulders. Maybe with the outs in mind the team goes out with a "this is going to be a lot harder now" attitude. You can help put that to bed if you nail simple set shots early on AND if the coach makes positional changes early.

Having Darcy at the opening centre bounce? How did English interpret that? I would have been in English's ear all week about him making a statement. But then again maybe he's not responsive to that narrative.

I spend my free time clutching at straws in order to make sense of the inexplicable.

15. Likes bornadog, Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Three weeks ago we turned up for a big game against Freo and obliterated them. Yesterday, we did not fire a shot. The game is also played above the shoulders. Maybe with the outs in mind the team goes out with a "this is going to be a lot harder now" attitude. You can help put that to bed if you nail simple set shots early on AND if the coach makes positional changes early.

Having Darcy at the opening centre bounce? How did English interpret that? I would have been in English's ear all week about him making a statement. But then again maybe he's not responsive to that narrative.

I spend my free time clutching at straws in order to make sense of the inexplicable.
    I guess it comes down to not being consistent

Post Thanks / Like

JUH seems to be on a bad trajectory with bad habits and attitude. In a perfect world, a few games in the seconds and a really big talking to should happen.

Obviously we've been hit with injuries, but so have most of the teams. Quite a few on the field would not get a game with other teams and should not be on the list.

The vast difference between our best, and our worst is inexplicable and needs to be solved next season. I suspect that involves a new coach and hopefully new players.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    JUH seems to be on a bad trajectory with bad habits and attitude. In a perfect world, a few games in the seconds and a really big talking to should happen.

Obviously we've been hit with injuries, but so have most of the teams. Quite a few on the field would not get a game with other teams and should not be on the list.

The vast difference between our best, and our worst is inexplicable and needs to be solved next season. I suspect that involves a new coach and hopefully new players.
    That's probably going to be a change of club to have new coach and players

Go the Swans or the Cats they never miss the finals im sick of them!