Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crisis/Opportunity: Planning for the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    How's Busslingers speed? The thought of him 1:1 with Curnow sitting under a ball deep inside 50 is terrifying, but maybe he could get a fist in on the move?
    Welcome to the big time Buss - hope you enjoy it. This would kill the kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I don't mean taking him full time. Just (if he had the speed, which I was unsure of) following him onto the wing and trying to get a hand in wherever he can.

Post Thanks / Like

This all feels like a deck chairs on the Titanic moment.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Jon Patton destroying Lewis Young type areas for those with a long enough memory.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Jon Patton destroying Lewis Young type areas for those with a long enough memory.
    That’s still the worst game I’ve ever seen anyone play. Can’t believe he even made it out of the ground without retiring on the spot.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

To me the greatest risk is the Carlton midfield, particularly Cripps and Walsh. Centre bounces and clearances are where Geelong, Melbourne, PA and Carlton have destroyed us in the past. When English plays as he has, their respective midfields have taken us apart. No reason to think it won't happen again. In fact, given last week's effort, it's more than likely. I would send Ed Richards to Cripps and Freijah to Walsh. Ed has the pace, strength and defensive skills to stand Cripps and Freijah - well it's a bit of a wing and a prayer - but he too seems to have the physical skills to run with someone. Planning it in advance gives both players the chance to prepare and focus.

And we need to be pre-emptive in our planning because match-day coaching is not one of Bevo's strengths. No good waiting until Carlton kick 5 goals to zip and the game is all but over. I tired of the stunned mullet look when the oppo kicks multiple goals from centre clearances.

Our midfield attack can come from Bonti, Treloar, Libba and Garcia. Sanders should be rested.

With regard to Curnow and Mackay, I'd set Lobb to Curnow and bring in Keath for Mackay, together with Busslinger, with strict instructions for Keath to punch everything and for Busslinger to intercept. And I'd put Buku on the wing to stretch Acres. Again, act pre-emptively.

Post Thanks / Like

just need someone with ebola or bird flu to have a conversation with Bont for an hour. Once he is deemed ill, Carlton have no chance. Failing that, we will find out which defenders want to lock down a spot in the backline for the remainder of the year. Opportunity knocking.....

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon I'd sooner bring Spangher out of retirement than try curbing them with the defensive stocks at our disposal.

It's been twenty four years but it's time. Dust off the Super Flood.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    To me the greatest risk is the Carlton midfield, particularly Cripps and Walsh. Centre bounces and clearances are where Geelong, Melbourne, PA and Carlton have destroyed us in the past. When English plays as he has, their respective midfields have taken us apart. No reason to think it won't happen again. In fact, given last week's effort, it's more than likely. I would send Ed Richards to Cripps and Freijah to Walsh. Ed has the pace, strength and defensive skills to stand Cripps and Freijah - well it's a bit of a wing and a prayer - but he too seems to have the physical skills to run with someone. Planning it in advance gives both players the chance to prepare and focus.

And we need to be pre-emptive in our planning because match-day coaching is not one of Bevo's strengths. No good waiting until Carlton kick 5 goals to zip and the game is all but over. I tired of the stunned mullet look when the oppo kicks multiple goals from centre clearances.

Our midfield attack can come from Bonti, Treloar, Libba and Garcia. Sanders should be rested.

With regard to Curnow and Mackay, I'd set Lobb to Curnow and bring in Keath for Mackay, together with Busslinger, with strict instructions for Keath to punch everything and for Busslinger to intercept. And I'd put Buku on the wing to stretch Acres. Again, act pre-emptively.
    I have written your suggestions into my prayer for tonight. But I have to warn you that god usually ignores me. In fact She usually sends me the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That?s still the worst game I?ve ever seen anyone play. Can?t believe he even made it out of the ground without retiring on the spot.
    Patton had 15 disposals and Young had 11 ( which was more than Libba) that day. Patton was credited with one 1%er and Young had six. Wasn?t Patton an experienced number one draft pick (24 years old and approaching his prime) playing in a team of champions and Young was an 18yo four game nobody.

Fortunately my spectacles were cleaner than yours, so I was able to see Young play badly in a poorly performing team (GWS kicked 16 goals to 7 and Lobb caught Bevos eye with a better game than he usually gives us).

That is why I am able to move on and appreciate the horror of selections where A Jones gets zero possessions, Weightman gets one and Bruce gets his first half way through the last quarter. Was there for all of them. And I suspect that more of these are ahead of us because people on WOOF wrote in praise of each display and we know Bevo selects for the crowd.

I can post contact information for my optometrist.
    Last edited by Danjul; 10-07-2024 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Toned it down.

Post Thanks / Like

While I think the “worst game” is hyperbolic, and I’ve definitely seen plenty of worse games, the stats definitely don’t account for how I’ve never seen a player physically bully and break another players spirit so obviously as Patton did to Young. At least to the point where it still sticks in my mind 7 years later. Although 18% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from 11 disposals can certainly give an indication of where his mind was by the end of the game.
    He probably shouldn’t have been put in the position he was and is a massive warning as to what could happen if we tried Busslinger on one of Curnow or Mackay this week.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see Cripps/Walsh running amok. Our mids just don?t have the ability to defend in anyway.
    If Jones doesn?t play then I hate to think what Curnow/McKay will do. They will be licking their lips. Even with a full strength backline, I don?t see a player who would stop Curnow.

If we are to win?.
    Keep Cripps under 20 disposals
    Keep McKay/Curnow to combined 5 goals (team under 12 goals)
    Bont to have a 25+, 2 goal game
    Marra 4+

What I think will happen??
    Cripps 25+
    Walsh 25+
    McKay 3.1
    Curnow 7.3
    Cincotta on Bont (15 disposals/no goals)
    Marra 1.3

Carlton 15 goals
    WB 9 goals
    I will never see #16 the same!!

15. Likes Grantysghost, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    While I think the ?worst game? is hyperbolic, and I?ve definitely seen plenty of worse games, the stats definitely don?t account for how I?ve never seen a player physically bully and break another players spirit so obviously as Patton did to Young. At least to the point where it still sticks in my mind 7 years later. Although 18% disposal efficiency and 5 turnovers from 11 disposals can certainly give an indication of where his mind was by the end of the game.
    He probably shouldn?t have been put in the position he was and is a massive warning as to what could happen if we tried Busslinger on one of Curnow or Mackay this week.
    Reminds me of the selections in 2019 when we put Cordy on McKay, who had 20 possessions and kicked a season best 4 goals.

That day a young English shouldered the ruck, supported by Dunkley and Bont. I don?t think Dunkley ever got over it.

Our forward line was basically Naughton ( as it often seemed to be ) who had 5 disposals for zero goals, Dickson and Lloyd kicked 2 each. Gowers got one of the other three.

Someone told me that was Carlton?s first win in something like 20 games. And they doubled the Dogs score and it was actually the spark to start of their success era we are currently witnessing.

Blood pressure warning, but I can’t resist….

We responded by selecting Schache for the next 10 games and he contributed 20 goals and a concussion

Post Thanks / Like

WTF are you talking about?

Winless for twenty games based on what a mate told you? You?ve embellished it by 250% to make a point.

Come on Stats Bot, if anyone knows the details it?s you.

18. Likes jDogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    WTF are you talking about?

Winless for twenty games based on what a mate told you? You?ve embellished it by 250% to make a point.

Come on Stats Bot, if anyone knows the details it?s you.
    Where would you find that information? It’s not player contracts.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me