Thanks Thanks:  71
Likes Likes:  484
Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Rumours 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yeah. It’s tough. The NBA in many ways is far better with how they facilitate trades and contracts, and salary caps, albeit it means that loyalty is much rarer and players change teams as often as their underwear and that’s one of the differentiators that makes our game so great.

It would be good if similar to RFA type rules, another club could match / exceed the offer and we could entertain it. Would prevent players from being able to nominate and only move to one club. Dunno. Maybe not. But they need a way to facilitate competition when multiple clubs would be prepared to do the deal to ensure the club gets the best outcome too (or at least, a reasonable one).
    It’s great that clubs are loyal, and I was so sympathetic to that argument for a long time. But many players are now mercenaries that show no loyalty the other way. When Baz walks he will be the poster boy for this too. The players have moved passed loyalty and the clubs, fans and AFEL should too.

That doesn’t mean clubs or players can’t choose to be loyal. But where it serves the clubs purpose to trade out a Stringer without making the reasons so obvious, or Dunkley or Baz to the highest bidder, or float out a Hunter before it becomes a freebie to another club, then a club should have some right to protect its list and serve its fans this way.

I think it needs to be a free for all because if the AFEL gets involved in it they will **** it up. Let the market sort it out. But until then (which will never happen as the AFLPA won’t ever agree to it) I’d love to stop bleeding players for unders.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not many clubs would lose their best and fairest and future captain in his prime for Charlie Clarke... And I can't remember the rest.
    Its bad though!
    Edit it was part of the Sanders cache of picks. Basically a sweetener.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not many clubs would lose their best and fairest and future captain in his prime for Charlie Clarke... And I can't remember the rest.
    Its bad though!
    Edit it was part of the Sanders cache of picks. Basically a sweetener.
    Charlie Clarke, O’Driscoll & one of three first rounders for Sanders/Freijah/one third of Croft/Pick c.50 this year
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Charlie Clarke, O’Driscoll & one of three first rounders for Sanders/Freijah/one third of Croft/Pick c.50 this year
    Yuk BT yuk!

I still remember Pickering in with the Lions team looking incredulous and smirking as we were holding out for a better deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yuk BT yuk!

I still remember Pickering in with the Lions team looking incredulous and smirking as we were holding out for a better deal.
    The cherry on top was their arrogance to trade their first rounder out for a second rounder just to **** us harder. The next live pick after that was Josh Weddle. We got Clarke instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The cherry on top was their arrogance to trade their first rounder out for a second rounder just to **** us harder. The next live pick after that was Josh Weddle. We got Clarke instead.
    Pricks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yeah. It?s tough. The NBA in many ways is far better with how they facilitate trades and contracts, and salary caps, albeit it means that loyalty is much rarer and players change teams as often as their underwear and that?s one of the differentiators that makes our game so great.

It would be good if similar to RFA type rules, another club could match / exceed the offer and we could entertain it. Would prevent players from being able to nominate and only move to one club. Dunno. Maybe not. But they need a way to facilitate competition when multiple clubs would be prepared to do the deal to ensure the club gets the best outcome too (or at least, a reasonable one).
    This is what is required.

Take the Dunkley case, where he wanted out to Brisbane.
    The contract to go should be available to all teams and if someone is prepared to match the club can then accept their best offer from anywhere.

Would help clubs at the bottom rebuild and players would lose the right to dictate.

They still get to choose where they go when they become unrestricted free agents.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes Go_Dogs, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    This is what is required.

Take the Dunkley case, where he wanted out to Brisbane.
    The contract to go should be available to all teams and if someone is prepared to match the club can then accept their best offer from anywhere.

Would help clubs at the bottom rebuild and players would lose the right to dictate.

They still get to choose where they go when they become unrestricted free agents.
    At least as a minimum open up the opportunity to other teams within the state the player is targeting.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    At least as a minimum open up the opportunity to other teams within the state the player is targeting.
    If their are valid reasons on going to a particular state, there should be no issues with facilitating a trade to the highest bidder in that state.

Where a particular team offers a contract they should be required to pay up.

I would require the club targeting to meet an arbitration on the deal if they don't deal in good faith. This would also apply to the club said playing is departing from.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Lobbster > Barrass
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

13. Likes josie, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me if this has already been mooted, but how about a straight swap with Collingwood involving Caleb Daniel and John Noble? I see it as a win/win. Collingwood need a distributor/link man, we need a running small defender to replace Doc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been mooted, but how about a straight swap with Collingwood involving Caleb Daniel and John Noble? I see it as a win/win. Collingwood need a distributor/link man, we need a running small defender to replace Doc.
    The issue I see with Noble is he turns the bal over frequently in bad spots. We beat them earlier this year largely
    Because of his great work setting us up.

Small defender is definitely an area of need.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Do the Hawks have the capacity to chase both Smith and Barrass in terms of draft capital?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    Do the Hawks have the capacity to chase both Smith and Barrass in terms of draft capital?
    they know smith is going to geelong.