Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winning doesn't reduce pressure...it CREATES pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I know 'Jones back' sounds cool and all - and he's probably been our best player this year - but now he has to play alongside Lobb and who knows how that works out. And when he comes in, who goes out? It's easy to say Coffield or Khamis I guess, but the balance seems about 'right' at the moment, so what happens when we change it??

I think we're on the precipice right now of finding the right mix - but two weeks is two weeks - no matter how good they are - and a season is a season and right now, well, we've still got unknowns galore.
    How much of that was due to the availability/decline of Hawkins allowing Khamis and Coffield to play on appropriate match ups? While there were good parts of his game, Khamis' direct opponent did have 10 shots on goal the week before. Against many teams the balance probably works better with Jones/Lobb and one of Khamis/Coffield doesn't it? And if there's not a big key forward match up for both who would take Coffield or Khamis loose over Jones?

Post Thanks / Like

Lobb will be even more effective with Jones beside him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lobb will be even more effective with Jones beside him.
    Well...we THINK that. But we don't KNOW that for sure.

If games were won and lost based on how teams look on paper, life would be so much easier.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think that?s mostly right but we?ve lost plenty of games where Bont & co have big performances but we still lose (the first Geelong game standing out like dogs balls).

For us to beat the best, first the structure has to be right and then every player has to make the most of their chances. Bramble is a great example - probably not considered a ?core? player in terms of being one of our best half dozen but he gets the job on Miers and nails it, then also takes his big moment in the last quarter. Too often those peripheral players fluff their lines against the best sides and it costs us dearly.

The core players determine if we?re even in the game or, but the role players regularly decide if we win those tight, close ones.
    Agree with that, and by core I mean everyone up to player number fifteen to sixteen that get games every week, not just our few elite players.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Do we all know?? You are what your win loss says you are...I think we're in the middle and that's where we are right now.

My point is we absolutely should be higher on the ladder. There is no doubt in my mind that we have the tools we need to be a top 4 team but we don't maximise our assets until we are in this scramble for finals. I don't think any team IN the 8, would want to play us, because they know that we are a better side than our results suggest. And this isn't the first time that our start to the season has meant we are in this position.

2024 - 3-5 after 8 rounds.
    2023 - 5-3 but were smashed rounds 1 & 2. Missed finals
    2022 - 3-5 coming off being a grand finalist. Snuck in to play an interstate final.
    2021 - obviously an outlier season
    2020 - 5-6 in the shortened season, scrambled home into 8th
    2019 - started 2-4, interstate final

Meanwhile, in terms of teams inside the 8, we've demonstrated we can compete with anyone.

Sydney - we were very competitive against on a night we got smashed with injuries
    Carlton - won
    Brisbane - lost
    Freo - lost over there, smashed them by 11 goals at home
    Giants - won in Sydney
    Geelong - won in Geelong, lost by 4 points in Adelaide.
    Port and Essendon beat us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think percentage is generally a good indicator of where teams sit when it gets to this stage of the season. On balance, we’re a top 4 quality side - hopefully the balance of the season will see that come to fruition.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I think percentage is generally a good indicator of where teams sit when it gets to this stage of the season. On balance, we’re a top 4 quality side - hopefully the balance of the season will see that come to fruition.
    It's normally a fair indicator but there are the occasional anomalies.
    It depends a bit on the draw from my perspective. If you were copping North and Richmond twice by this stage of the season you might have a flattering percentage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching the last 2 games it seems we are more TEAM focused than I have seen this year. The tackling and pressure was relentless over those games and this is where it has to be for us to go further. The moment this lags off, is the moment our season is gone.

Our backs also seem to be attacking the ball a lot more. Dale has really gone to his AA level recently, considering his shocking start. His tackling, his run, his aggression at the ball and ball carrier is very pleasing.

And I don?t think it?s that surprising that when we see what Lobb has done against Carl and Geel. The team, like him, looks focused, looks hungry, and looks to be players enjoying their footy. They look like they know their roles and have been given clear messages and are taking it on board.

Can we do it again against Sydney? This will be THE game for mine. It could set us up, or it could really push us back. Will be interesting to see how we come out in those first 5-10 mins.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

10. Likes hujsh, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It depends a bit on the draw from my perspective. If you were copping North and Richmond twice by this stage of the season you might have a flattering percentage.
    And sides like Essendon who have perhaps had a favourable draw have a low percentage that should put them in the bottom six (where they belong!!).

Agree - the “fixture” means there are exceptions to the rule. I look at it this year and think it’s a good indicator of the form sides.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Which we haven't, When we are on we are good. Scarily good. But when we are off......we suck.