Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

The story of Nicky Winmar calling out racism at Victoria Park in 1993 - I was actually there ? ABC TV ?

I commend all of you to watch this on ABC iview. It was shown tonight.

You know the famous photo and roughly what happened at Victoria Park that day but this is the story behind it, told by Winmar and his teammates, fans at the ground, the Pies player who played on him and the two photographers who took the famous photos and their fight to get it into the newspapers the next day.

A fantastic retelling of the story and very moving. And this shit is still happening at AFL grounds today.

Recommended.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks bornadog, angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The story of Nicky Winmar calling out racism at Victoria Park in 1993 - I was actually there ? ABC TV ?

Thanks. Will definiltey watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The story of Nicky Winmar calling out racism at Victoria Park in 1993 - I was actually there ? ABC TV ?

Thanks for the mention I've just finished watching and very good viewing and well worth the watch.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched this episode yet but I have seen the first 2 about the Port Arthur Massacre and the Boxing Day Tsunami. Both excellent. Made by the same people that created the You Can't Ask That series.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DR, it was certainly worth a watch.
    I can recall challenging a work colleague for the remarks the Collingwood President Allan McAlister made and like a lot of Pies supporters he didn't think that it was much of an issue. Thankfully things have changed a fair bit in Australia but obviously a lot more is needed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I watched it. Thanks for the heads up. So many parts I had forgotten like that Winmar didn't play for the next month after that game. What is incredibly hard to believe, it is just over 30 years ago.

I still can't believe what Allan McAlister said post that game. “‘As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect [them].”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks DR, it was certainly worth a watch.
    I can recall challenging a work colleague for the remarks the Collingwood President Allan McAlister made and like a lot of Pies supporters he didn't think that it was much of an issue. Thankfully things have changed a fair bit in Australia but obviously a lot more is needed.
    Bolded bits. The intensely egalitarian and democratic impulse of our Constitutional Framers and those who elected them hasn't changed. Those qualities are what make our country what it is and includes, a leader in sanctuarianism. McAllister was president of C'wood which supported our club in our hour of greatest need, by contrast with exploiters like C'ton and E'don, sniffing' round Super, the Hawk et alia. No country is perfect, not even ours. All right thinking Woofers should reject any criticism of implied current racism.
    Last edited by D Mitchell; 26-07-2024 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Winmar and McAdam were a bit before my time.

How good were they?

What modern day players are most like them?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Winmar and McAdam were a bit before my time.

How good were they?

What modern day players are most like them?
    Winmar played for us for one season. Over his career he was a terrific player. I'll try to give it some thought on who he reminds me of now. Smooth mover.

McAdam had a shorter career but was a very good player in his own right. Nice kick and very quick and he could kick a goal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Bolded bits. The intensely egalitarian and democratic impulse of our Constitutional Framers and those who elected them hasn't changed. Those qualities are what make our country what it is and includes, a leader in sanctuarianism. McAllister was president of C'wood which supported our club in our hour of greatest need, by contrast with exploiters like C'ton and E'don, sniffing' round Super, the Hawk et alia. No country is perfect, not even ours. All right thinking Woofers should reject any criticism of implied current racism.
    The exploiters recently mounted a campaign to reject the establishment of an Indigenous ADVISORY body to Parliament and to recognise FNP in the Constitution. 58% of the electorate supported them.

Things have changed no doubt but the pace of change needs to accelerate. We still have a long way to go.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."