Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  69
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tom Barrass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Barrass

The worst thing you can do to an employee is shake hands, tell them it's going to be OK, and then **** them. They'll mostly take an upfront and ongoing ****ing because expectations level out and end up consistently met.

But plant the seed of expectation, say that justice will be done, and that things will be better then you better deliver it. Because what you get if you don't is this (if it's true, which it's not, until it is).

If any of this is remotely true then it's between us and Hawthorn. WCE by design or otherwise, are out of the race.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The worst thing you can do to an employee is shake hands, tell them it's going to be OK, and then **** them. They'll mostly take an upfront and ongoing ****ing because expectations level out and end up consistently met.

But plant the seed of expectation, say that justice will be done, and that things will be better then you better deliver it. Because what you get if you don't is this (if it's true, which it's not, until it is).

If any of this is remotely true then it's between us and Hawthorn. WCE by design or otherwise, are out of the race.
    Yep on all. If we can offer the extra year, same or more cash, and if any of our players want to WCE (media report two considering it). Hopefully that puts us/keeps us in pole position.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Jones, Lobb & Barrass would be the most formidable intercepting marking group in the comp next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jones, Lobb & Barrass would be the most formidable intercepting marking group in the comp next year.
    3 headed monster up front, down back.
    Have you heard Butters wants to come to the Dogs?

6. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    3 headed monster up front, down back.
    I’d go so far as to say one of if not the best forward line of talks and defensive talls in the comp. Lobb & Jones were outstanding. But replace Khamis or Coff yesterday with an elite interception marking gun, and that unit is outright elite. With support from Dale, Bramble & maybe Doc/VDM is looks great. I’d trade Smith today to get Barrass. With that fifth year, who cares. And as the olde guys retire in comes JOD, Buss & Croft with Barrass leading them.

I would not recall a time in my life time when the tall talent at both ends would be that elite. While the mids are just plodders like Bont, Adz, Ed, Libba, Sanders and co.

8. Likes Uninformed, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’d go so far as to say one of if not the best forward line of talks and defensive talls in the comp. Lobb & Jones were outstanding. But replace Khamis or Coff yesterday with an elite interception marking gun, and that unit is outright elite. With support from Dale, Bramble & maybe Doc/VDM is looks great. I’d trade Smith today to get Barrass. With that fifth year, who cares. And as the olde guys retire in comes JOD, Buss & Croft with Barrass leading them.

I would not recall a time in my life time when the tall talent at both ends would be that elite. While the mids are just plodders like Bont, Adz, Ed, Libba, Sanders and co.
    At what point does that become too top heavy?

Would prefer we continue to develop the likes of Buku, JOD and Buss in the 3rd role given Lobb looks a very good 2nd option behind the evergreen Jones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    At what point does that become too top heavy?

Would prefer we continue to develop the likes of Buku, JOD and Buss in the 3rd role given Lobb looks a very good 2nd option behind the evergreen Jones.
    I don’t think you’d want to go over that for next year. But with teams with 2-3 key forward or a resting ruck, I think it’s great coverage as particularly Jones & Barrass aren’t lumbering types. Barrass replaces Keath on the list which is a massive upgrade.

Barrass is also the transition for Jones retiring and Lobb perhaps only having two more seasons. Barrass can establish himself and we can bring in JOD, Buss & Croft (if he’s a defender) over time and to cover injuries. There’s also the option of deploying players in other roles or covering injuries too.

I like the move by the club to chase him.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-07-2024 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced we haven't pulled out of the race for Barrass given the Lobb developments in recent weeks. Looks like the Barrass to the Hawks talk has ramped up in the last week. I think this makes a lot of sense for us. Hopefully Lobb and Jones can hold down those key positions posts until Croft, Busslinger, JOD, and Buku can take the mantel.

Also, by all reports, this is a deep draft, giving up a mid-to-late first rounder is more costly than other years if the reports of the evenness of the draft are to be believed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angak View Post
    Also, by all reports, this is a deep draft, giving up a mid-to-late first rounder is more costly than other years if the reports of the evenness of the draft are to be believed.
    Remember...right now, we don't actually HAVE a first round pick to give up.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch Cleary still said where the front runner if he leaves on the tradiespodcast

14. Thanks bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Barrass will go to the Hawks or stay at the Eagles I reckon.

Mitchell is already flying over there and sucking up. Not sure that's a good look when he's another teams player!

Love to snag him but really he's injured so often at 29 I can't see it being too fruitful at the likely cost.

Plus we already have a better defender in LOBBSTER TEARS!

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Barrass will go to the Hawks or stay at the Eagles I reckon.

Mitchell is already flying over there and sucking up. Not sure that's a good look when he's another teams player!
    Let’s say Hawks miss finals on percentage. Let’s say we finish top 4 on percentage. Let’s say we offer a year longer than Hawks as reported and same/more salary.

He can choose a long, lucrative contract with a top 4 team. With apparently the best facilities in the comp. Rejoin his premiership line coach. Play with some gun players.

We are offering a potentially good deal and overall situation for him. While having players that WCE apparently want and have clearly led the charge early and Hawks are playing catch up. I can see why the journos are saying we are in front.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon if we win 3 of the next 4 or or win at least 1 final and competitive in the 2nd final. Pull the trigger and offer 5 to get the deal done. if not. 4 is enough. He wont make the difference if we aren't there or there abouts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Remember...right now, we don't actually HAVE a first round pick to give up.
    We've got Geelong's in our back pocket, just need the ink to dry.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit got serious - fox footy:

“the Western Bulldogs are trying their best to stay in the race with The West reporting they’ve offered Barrass a five-year, $5 million deal.”

21. Thanks josie thanked for this post