Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Return of Footscray

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Their form rolled over in to their Australian Olympic uniforms imo.

It feels more like a commemorative jumper than a true retro jumper. If it's for the team of 54 then chuck their names on it somewhere?
    Also the design is not correct for 1954.

Here is the actual jumper worn

Note stripes are wider and under the arm pit. Current jumper and retro have stripes too low
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by my plums View Post
    The ASICS gear has always been a bit meh IMO. Would love a new apparel sponsor.
    They makes good shoes - I think it stops there.

4. Likes my plums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by my plums View Post
    The ASICS gear has always been a bit meh IMO. Would love a new apparel sponsor.
    They can continue to make the half size shoes that fit me but besides that, I have not rated their output much. I liked our 2021 jumper but since then it?s been miss after miss.

6. Likes my plums liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Note stripes are wider and under the arm pit. Current jumper and retro have stripes too low
    This is what grinds me most with ASICS. The stripes are always thin and low, it looks weird.
    W00F!

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    This is what grinds me most with ASICS. The stripes are always thin and low, it looks weird.
    Who designs the jumper? Is it ASICS or the club sends the design in and they produce it?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Footscray is our identity. We are born out of its soil.
    A Smorgan marketing team sabotaged our true identity and gave us robo dog.
    Our soul is Footscray betrayed by corporate thinking.
    I don't disagree but I hate that this issue splits our membership...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

While I?d on balance like to return to the Footscray name I find it?s not an issue of passion and angst for me. Staying at our beloved base, retaining the colours and Bulldogs identity are all more important to me. Having said that my Footscray heritage is a matter of pride with my dad growing up a few blocks away and playing for the reserves, my parents being married at Saint John?s West Footscray (I was baptised there as well) and countless other connections.

By the way GG, have you actually visited Footscray Mall and cbd recently? I worked in Footscray up until a few months ago. The actual heart of Footscray is nowhere near the man bun stereotype. It?s down and out and tatty, with a sad predominance of people with mental health issues and homelessness. (I?m a social worker and don?t mean this in a derogatory way, just pointing out a reality far removed from latte culture). The quirky and gentrified areas are Seddon, Yarraville, West Footscray. Though I did laugh when I saw a real estate spiel for a house pin my dads old street, calling its location as the Paris end.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    While I?d on balance like to return to the Footscray name I find it?s not an issue of passion and angst for me. Staying at our beloved base, retaining the colours and Bulldogs identity are all more important to me. Having said that my Footscray heritage is a matter of pride with my dad growing up a few blocks away and playing for the reserves, my parents being married at Saint John?s West Footscray (I was baptised there as well) and countless other connections.

By the way GG, have you actually visited Footscray Mall and cbd recently? I worked in Footscray up until a few months ago. The actual heart of Footscray is nowhere near the man bun stereotype. It?s down and out and tatty, with a sad predominance of people with mental health issues and homelessness. (I?m a social worker and don?t mean this in a derogatory way, just pointing out a reality far removed from latte culture). The quirky and gentrified areas are Seddon, Yarraville, West Footscray. Though I did laugh when I saw a real estate spiel for a house pin my dads old street, calling its location as the Paris end.
    I was using that for affect to sell my tenuous argument

I have been and while it's a lot better than it once was it's not the panacea of society; the homelessness issue is massive paired with mental health and something I hope we invest a lot of money into rather than things like Sedat Park and sadly the Whitten Oval.

BTW who wants to go back to the name the Western Oval? Western? WESTERN! Conversely we could be the Whitten Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I was using that for affect to sell my tenuous argument

I have been and while it's a lot better than it once was it's not the panacea of society; the homelessness issue is massive paired with mental health and something I hope we invest a lot of money into rather than things like Sedat Park and sadly the Whitten Oval.

BTW who wants to go back to the name the Western Oval? Western? WESTERN! Conversely we could be the Whitten Bulldogs.
    Soon to be the Bontempelli Bulldogs or Mission Bontempelli Oval

14. Likes Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I put up a bit of a survey on my page.

From my observation, it's a bit turned on it's head from what you'd maybe assume age wise.

Just from comments, it feels 'Western' is most supported by those in the age bracket 50-60. Perhaps this is due to living through us being so poor during the 70s/80s.

Vast majority in the 20-30 bracket seem to actually like the Footscray name, seeing it as hip/more of an attachment than very generic 'Western'.

I am pro Footscray. I definitely wouldn't do it as a nod to the past. I'd do it as I feel it's a better brand name for the future. I find 'Western' very much part of the late 90s/00s generic/least offensive on the palate type branding that also leads to nicknames like Victory and Glory. I kind of feel that if the Tassie team can in that era they'd be called something like Tasmanian Tenacity.

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Pleather Sole liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ladies and gentlemen please give it up for your Generally West of Melbourne But Not The Bellarine Bovine Hounds.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen please give it up for your Generally West of Melbourne But Not The Bellarine Bovine Hounds.
    Gold!

You need to use your skills and create a logo for that RS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I think they do the stripes lower now to fit the sponsors up top uncrowded. I would buy an unbranded club guernsey for sure, not keen on being a walking billboard.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post