Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Some feelings can?t be unfelt.
    Or remembered.

2. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Stop being a kill-joy!

We're ****ing flying... we have seen enough of our team completely sucking not to sit back and enjoy when we're playing the type of footy we know we're capable of.

The last 3 weeks we've seen a team first mentality which when added to our individual talent means we're a very good side.

Melbourne will be shitting themselves knowing they play us next. They've kicked 100 points just one in their last 8 games (against WC) and that simply isn't going to be enough to worry us.
    It seems so long since we’ve won 4, 5 or more in a row. Just feels like a dip is coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    It seems so long since we’ve won 4, 5 or more in a row. Just feels like a dip is coming.
    We won 5 in a row last year from rounds 6-10, then promptly dropped 3 on the trot. Hopefully if there is a dip it's just an ugly win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We won 5 in a row last year from rounds 6-10, then promptly dropped 3 on the trot. Hopefully if there is a dip it's just an ugly win.
    We have got to 3 in a row. It is about time we extended a run. 10 in a row will satisfy me.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    That's the Bulldog way!

However, finally we look to be very rounded with weapons across all 3 zones so if our effort & intensity is where it needs to be we will remain a very hard team to play against.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's the Bulldog way!

However, finally we look to be very rounded with weapons across all 3 zones so if our effort & intensity is where it needs to be we will remain a very hard team to play against.
    We have a really balanced side for the first time since the early part of 2021 and this side is both more talented and experienced than that one. That's why I'm going full nuffie for the first time since then.

I'm still wary but all the indicators and prediction models are suggesting this really is a contending team.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Suprise, suprise ... Robbo has done a backflip.

Mark Robinson: Luke Beveridge, the AFL’s master of salvation, has survived the pressure again

Luke Beveridge’s coaching eulogy was being written earlier this year — and not for the first time. MARK ROBINSON examines how the Bulldogs coach has defied the doubters again and made his side an unlikely premiership threat.

He’s done it again Luke Beveridge.

He’s swatted away the doubters – and a potential difficult decision by the Western Bulldogs administration – by orchestrating the best three-week stretch by a team this season, and maybe the best in home-and-away for 30 years.

Turning the season on its head, Beveridge’s Bulldogs beat Carlton, Geelong and Sydney and in doing so, according to Swamp on Twitter/X, became the first team since Geelong in 1993 to play three games in a row against teams inside the top three on the ladder and win all three. The Bulldogs will say they always had complete confidence in their coach and program, but that can’t be true.

Before this stretch, they were 8-8 win-loss and if the results were reversed and the Bulldogs were 8-11 with four to play, they would’ve missed finals.

And with the club demanding improvement after the ninth-placed finish in 2023, after two off-season reviews and after a clean out of assistant coaches, a bomb-out in 2024 would’ve put pressure on Beveridge’s tenure.

We’re not saying he would’ve been sacked, but there would’ve been discussion about whether Beveridge should be sacked.

But that won’t happen. Because Beveridge is the master of salvation.

It’s been noted before that he can mastermind his team out of a run of mediocre performances.

In 2022, the Dogs lost their first two matches and four of their first six and still played finals.

In 2021, they lost rounds 21-23 and made the grand final.

In 2020, they lost their first two matches and played finals.

In 2019, they lost four of their first six matches and then lost four of five matches through rounds 9-14 and still made finals.

This season, they Dogs were 3-5, and just a month ago was pumped by Port Adelaide over there, and they now have galloped into premiership calculations.

Asked to describe the genius of Beveridge, long-time assistant coach Rohan Smith said Beveridge’s quality was that he sees the good in people.

He doesn’t always dispense with players, Smith said.

This year it is turning lumbering forward Rory Lobb into an intercept defender. In 2016, the premiership year, he switched ageing All-Australian midfielder Matthew Boyd to halfback where Boyd won his third All-Australian. Another player, for example, was Bailey Dale, who was meandering at half-forward who then became an All-Australian halfback in 2021.

Beveridge can get a couple wrong.

Like starting Tom Liberatore at half-forward at the start of 2002.

“He just doesn’t throw people out – he tries them in different areas,” Smith said.

“He sees the good in people rather than the bad, which is the art of coaching.”

Smith said the players respond to Beveridge’s brilliant storytelling and motivation, and that the players know he always “has their back”.

He cited the recent defence of Cody Weightman on AFL360 as an example.

“If Cody was watching AFL360 the other week, Cody would break down a brick wall to play for Bevo,” Smith said. “That stuff goes around the group.”

He said Beveridge was the “most wonderful person, the way he motivates, the way he cares”.

“He does not ever talk about himself, he will always worry about others before he worries about himself – and that’s why people gravitate towards him.

“Think about 2016 and getting the premiership cup. He calls up Robert Murphy. As coach, your greatest crowning glory is to lift that premiership cup with your captain and he sacrificed that for Robert Murphy. That’s the most selfless act I’ve ever seen on a footy field.”

Unless the Dogs fall in a hole in the next month – they play Melbourne on Friday night, Adelaide (away), North Melbourne (Marvel), and GWS Giants (Ballarat) – there are no worries about Beveridge coaching next year. And maybe even for a long time after that.

10. Thanks Dogs 24/7, josie, Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That West Coast debacle might just as easily also turn out to be the catalyst for our next premiership.
    Has the vibe of the game that killed off BMAC against GWS in 2014.

Suppose if he can survive that he can survive anything. Anyone else at any other club at any other point in time gets the flick before now. I maintain it should have happened in 2018 and 2020 and 2023 and early 2024.

Club's gone in a different direction, looks like they've mostly pulled the right levers but the pass mark for a while now has been Top Four finish plus win a final. Can cop a finish outside the four, but winning a final/finals should still be the pass mark.

Lucky for Bevo, we will win the flag.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

12. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught up with a good friend who has access to the inner sanctum at Carlton (I know, don't judge me for being friends with a Calrton peson). This person had dinner with Ash Hansen. He gave me a few interesting insights. However, one thing in particular stuck with me, is that Ash Hansen spoke incredibly highly about Bevo the coach, but in partiuclar highlighted how humble Bevo is and the deep relationship he has with the playing group.

Basically just reinforcing what Bubba highlights above.

14. Thanks bornadog, josie, macca, jeemak, Bulldog Joe thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Smads57, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

I'll say, Libba was only 9 years old at the time, it should have been the forward pocket.

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We aren't losing again.....ever

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This year it is turning lumbering forward Rory Lobb into an intercept defender. In 2016, the premiership year, he switched ageing All-Australian midfielder Matthew Boyd to halfback where Boyd won his third All-Australian. Another player, for example, was Bailey Dale, who was meandering at half-forward who then became an All-Australian halfback in 2021.
    I'm sensing a pattern.

Someone pull on the back of Rhodes head and see if a mask comes off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    We aren't losing again.....ever
    Is that a sneaky Shoresy reference there JLM?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Then ugly win bit i what I reckon we did against North who were going ok at that point.
    I'd be very happy with that type of win again. I think that's been a bit of a weakness of Bevo sides. Grinding out those victories.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try and get him signed for 2 more providing we make the finals and win at least one final.