Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  31
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Goalkicking

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goalkicking

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    We’ll get used to the next 7 years watching it. It won’t get better. He won’t go into defence. He won’t be traded. He looks better working up the ground, but I agree that he just misses far too many very, very gettable ones.
    I found it interesting we subbed him before trying him on Fogarty and moving Buku forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I found it interesting we subbed him before trying him on Fogarty and moving Buku forward.
    I’m certain (without knowing) part of his deal is never playing as a defender.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The players need to be accountable at some point.

Most goal kicking coaching is going to be the same and it really wouldn't matter who you get in unless you're dealing with players who have absolutely dreadful techniques.

Our players just need to be better.
    I agree with this...I had interpreted BTs comment as a " club/coaches needs to do more" and I feel like they're doing what they can.

The players need to put the work in on their technique and craft. It's not good enough.

G/Smads/track watchers, outside of the Johnno sessions how often do you see players have shots for goal? And what percentage of them are from deep in the pocket at the entrance to the new facility?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I agree with this...I had interpreted BTs comment as a " club/coaches needs to do more" and I feel like they're doing what they can.

The players need to put the work in on their technique and craft. It's not good enough.

G/Smads/track watchers, outside of the Johnno sessions how often do you see players have shots for goal? And what percentage of them are from deep in the pocket at the entrance to the new facility?
    They did goal kicking on Tuesday and Thursday sessions at different ends of the ground to maximise cross winds and condition and they did them without Johnno being present. It normally has a combination of kicking over the man on the mark from directly in front and from tight angles.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks jazzadogs, jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They did goal kicking on Tuesday and Thursday sessions at different ends of the ground to maximise cross winds and condition and they did them without Johnno being present. It normally has a combination of kicking over the man on the mark from directly in front and from tight angles.
    So Johnno comes in, talks about technique or routine etc, and then they get other opportunities to practice it? That sounds good to me - but the key is whether they have any pressure on their results in those sessions. If Naughton kicks 1.9 is he accountable to anyone? Or does he just come out the next session and do the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    So Johnno comes in, talks about technique or routine etc, and then they get other opportunities to practice it? That sounds good to me - but the key is whether they have any pressure on their results in those sessions. If Naughton kicks 1.9 is he accountable to anyone? Or does he just come out the next session and do the same thing?
    As far as I can tell it's done professionally and taken seriously and given it's overseen by a couple of coaches I think they're providing feedback to the players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

This ranking of each teams' goal kicking accuracy across the past five rounds is not only wholly unflattering for us but thoroughly fascinating given our next pair of opponents ...

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

But also flattering in the sense that we're getting ~10% more scoring shots a game than the two in form teams of the competition, who are also both at the wrong end of the scale.

The team closest to the best blend is Hawthorn, I guess?
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

It's frustrating that we seemed to have made real progress on this earlier in the year and right as we hit a rich vein of form it disintegrates

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am no goal kicking expert, but watched them nailing 95% of their shots from all angles/distances in the warmup and I did have this random thought:

Do they need to be taking these warmup shots with a man on the mark?

13. Likes jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I am no goal kicking expert, but watched them nailing 95% of their shots from all angles/distances in the warmup and I did have this random thought:

I get the intent and it's a good observation. But the last thing I want before a game is a bunch of players shitting themselves about how things are going to be if they're missing a bunch of set shots.
    TF is this?.........Obviously you're not a golfer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

I have said this for a long time. It is all in the head. Go to training and they are nailing their shots, or like you said in the warm up, but during a game we are over thinking and panicking whether we are going to be accurate. You can see with both JUH and Naughton through their body language, they are thinking - I better not miss, I better not miss. They need confidence instilled into them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we change this thread to point kicking, we kick a lot more of them.
    Maybe the thought is if we kick 7points it nullifies any goal the opposition kick.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Compare the pair. Almost the same number of shots on goal but Hogan's accuracy has been rewarded with a Coleman Medal whilst Jamarra continues to struggle in front of the sticks. He's just got to improve this aspect of his game going forward and he will be the best in the league. At least time is on his side. Maybe JUH should investigate a stuttering run up?

20. Thanks bornadog, josie, SquirrelGrip, macca, Max469 thanked for this post